August 14th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Freedom Rally

  • Table?
  • Signup sheet - done (jokeefe)
  • Blog post - done (jokeefe)
  • MeshNet site plan - in progress
  • Other things to do: Day Against DRM, Survey, Map CCTV cameras

Day Against DRM

  • Working with FSF to set up a planning call next week

Party Conference

Set for 9/29

  • Site walk through
  • Setup pirate pad
  • Email volunteers
  • Setup Registration - done. Sent email for review (jokeefe)
  • Setup page
  • Write blog posts


Video Newsletter

Statements

  • Donate Your Vote campaign (jokeefe)
  • S.2823 - A bill to modernize copyright law, and for other purposes - posted. jokeefe will create petition
  • Free Reality Winner - Approved. jokeefe will write a statement
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)
  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for. Bill did not get out of committee (jokeefe)

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • install a Matrix server (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Upcoming Events

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • Malt

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:06pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_14th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:06pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:06pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:06pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Malt?
[9:09pm] Joe: brb
[9:09pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:10pm] Joe: Still no Malt?
[9:10pm] jokeefe: not that I have seen
[9:11pm] jokeefe: let’s start
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:11pm] jokeefe: A reminder that the national meeting is tomorrow
[9:12pm] Joe: do you recall the time of the meeting?
[9:12pm] jokeefe: 9pm - https://pnc.piratenpad.de/PNC-2018-8-15
[9:13pm] Joe: K, I'll be there.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Thanks
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Going backwards in topics
[9:14pm] jokeefe: #SaveYourInternet Protest?
[9:14pm] Joe: My pleasure
[9:14pm] jokeefe: for 8/26?
[9:15pm] jokeefe: I feel it would be worthwhile, but interest seems luke warm and there are three events to plan for September
[9:16pm] Joe: I saw that the Freedom Rally may be tabled
[9:17pm] jokeefe: At the mashmesh meeting we are looking to create a temporary network
[9:17pm] jokeefe: reaching out to masscann
[9:18pm] Joe: Thats good
[9:18pm] jokeefe: think we should have a table though not sure where it will be. did you get an email about paying for one?
[9:18pm] Joe: Not that I saw.
[9:19pm] Joe: I just reahed out to them last time.
[9:19pm] Joe: *reached
[9:21pm] jokeefe: hmmm… not seeing a 2018 entry on their site
[9:21pm] jokeefe: but they have a count down on the site
[9:22pm] Joe: Also....
[9:22pm] Joe: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/14/wisconsin-minnesota-vermont-connecticut-hold-primary-elections.html
[9:22pm] jokeefe: tomorrow is last day to register for the primary
[9:24pm] jokeefe: I’ll check on the cost of a table when I email them about the mesh net
[9:26pm] jokeefe: if they don’t have space, we could just setup a table outside their area. would allow us to setup and take down when we want, though we would have to carry stuff out instead of leaving it overnight
[9:26pm] Joe: I will have the money for the PirateCon this Monday to deposit
[9:26pm] jokeefe: could do just two days that way, though
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Thank you. I need to make a deposit as well.
[9:27pm] Joe: If that is the case, I would rather just roam and do interviews. More moble.
[9:28pm] jokeefe: using the mesh net 
[9:29pm] jokeefe: could do both, but I like the idea of roaming interviews
[9:29pm] jokeefe: a table is a good thing of course
[9:29pm] Joe: I agree
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Your thoughts on the #SaveYourInternet Protest?
[9:32pm] Joe: https://www.saveyourinternet.eu/
[9:32pm] Joe: ?
[9:33pm] jokeefe: https://juliareda.eu/2018/08/saveyourinternet-action-day/
[9:33pm] jokeefe: though related
[9:35pm] Joe: I support the movement, we need to stop it.
[9:36pm] Joe: But this is more of a EU matter than a US unfortunately
[9:36pm] jokeefe: what happens there will be promoted here, but we have things we are focused on at the moment
[9:39pm] jokeefe: So yeah, not enthusiastic support for doing something.
[9:39pm] Joe: I mean, I would love to help and I do support them.
[9:40pm] Joe: But beyond Twitter I don't see much we can do. Maybe make a video on it.
[9:41pm] Joe: I would be open to suggestions though
[9:43pm] Joe: What about the new tariffs by the president?
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Was thinking people could submit their own videos perhaps to badmirror.tv. will reach out to sevan
[9:44pm] jokeefe: but we should have a video on why we oppose the EU plans
[9:44pm] jokeefe: record it on the 26th?
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Re: tariffs: better he changed the laws that promote outsourcing, but that would hurt his donors
[9:47pm] Joe: Since you made the deposit for the Church, would you mind handling the rest of the payment?
[9:48pm] jokeefe: I can do that as an inkind. sure
[9:49pm] Joe: I was going to pay for it.
[9:49pm] Joe: lol
[9:49pm] jokeefe: though we have time to mail them a check from the party account
[9:49pm] Joe: The $25 was inkind?
[9:49pm] jokeefe: unless you want to reimburse me
[9:50pm] jokeefe: keep it inkind
[9:50pm] Joe: 6 or 1/2 dozen
[9:50pm] Joe: Ok.
[9:50pm] Joe: Thank you.
[9:50pm] jokeefe: as long as I don’t donate more than $500/yr 
[9:51pm] Joe: lol
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Will get back to you about recording a video about SaveOurInternt.
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Moving on to projects
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Signup sheet and blog post is up. will send out notice in next email
[9:52pm] jokeefe: massmesh is working on the site plan for a mesh net
[9:52pm] jokeefe: will follow up about table with MassCANN
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Day Against DRM - Working with FSF to set up a planning call soon
[9:53pm] Joe: Did you want me to reach out to MassCANN?
[9:54pm] Joe: I really don't mind.
[9:54pm] jokeefe: If you wouldn’t mind reaching out about a table, that would be great
[9:54pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:55pm] Joe: Np
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Party Conference - Set up sign up forms and wrote blog post. will get it up and in an email
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Site walk through this week
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Will email volunteers this week
[9:55pm] jokeefe: And setup pirate pad for organizing
[9:56pm] jokeefe: On the idea of moving this meeting. are there any evenings that don’t work for you?
[9:56pm] Joe: Thursdays, Fridays, etc
[9:57pm] jokeefe: better than Tuesdays?
[9:58pm] Joe: TBH, everyday I have something atm but I can make Monday Tuesday or Wednesday work. Just last few weeks I have been slammed.
[9:58pm] Joe: I did hire a few more people so that helps a lot
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Good to hear. Sorry, I read your message wrong. Thanks.
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Will contact Noe and Malt directly, then
[10:00pm] Joe: Noe?
[10:00pm] jokeefe: Noelani
[10:00pm] Joe: We are at time sir
[10:00pm] jokeefe: that we are
[10:00pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn
[10:00pm] jokeefe: ?
[10:00pm] Joe: I second
[10:01pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[10:01pm] Joe: Aye and good night my friend
[10:01pm] jokeefe: aye. good night to you and yours