August 17th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


Task Status

  • PirateCon 2015 Videos (jokeefe)
  • MAAPL form (srevilak, jokeefe, noe, ...)
  • Newsletter (Kendra, paper_waves, ?)
    • Blog Announcement (kendra/jokeefe) - Done
    • Review Submissions
    • Layout
    • Distribution Planning (besides emailing a pdf)
      • Gather list of people to mail it to (?)
      • Gather a list of places to distribute it (?)
      • Decide on the print run (?)
    • Distribute
  • Media
    • Updated media list (fish)
    • Sep. - Freedom Rally
    • Oct. - Free Software & Innovation
    • Nov. - 2016 Elections
    • Dec. - ?
  • Blog posts
    • Massachusetts GMO labeling bill (H.3242) - (Bluestreak with help from jokeefe)
    • Email lists & Local/regional contacts (jokeefe)
    • TPP/CISA (jokeefe)
    • Other legislation (jokeefe)

Tasks: Wiki list, PiratePad version.




Event Planning

  1. Aug 26, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts
  2. Sep. 26th & 27th, Freedom Rally - Sign up form - Planning - have asked for volunteers in email as well, need blog post by July/Aug
  3. Sep. 22, 1pm, Public Hearing on Massachusetts GMO labeling bill (H.3242), Gardner Auditorium at the Massachusetts State House
  4. Sep. 30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts
  5. Oct. 3, 7-11pm, FSF 30th Anniversary Celebration, CIC Boston, 50 Milk St, Boston
  6. Oct. 13 (probably), Cory Doctorow Event - Working with other groups
  7. Oct. 28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts
  8. Nov. event?
  9. Nov. 25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts
  10. Dec. event?
  11. Dec. 30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts

Restarting in September: Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge


  • jokeefe: James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • Bluestreak: Lucia Fiero
  • Ben___: Ben Cook, Boston
  • Kendra: Kendra Moyer East Boston


  • srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington
  • davidd
  • itspara
  • Pharyngeal


PirateCon 2015 Videos

  • Bluestreak working on video for Evan's talk.
  • Ben may work on a talk
  • James will work on Rick's talk


  • Kendra working on the newsletter.
    • New pad to discuss news letter available.
    • Need a place to share the scribus document. Possibly owncloud.
    • Looking for people to distribute it. Ben offered to help.

Freedom Rally

Ben will post about it at James will put up an updated blog post.



[9:09pm] Bluestreak: Shall we start? [9:09pm] Bluestreak: IDs [9:09pm] Bluestreak: Lucia Fiero [9:09pm] Ben___: Ben Cook, Boston [9:10pm] Bluestreak: From the agenda Jamie wants people to edit the PirateCon videos. [9:10pm] Bluestreak: I have downloaded Evan’s key note and slides but I have yet to start on editing [9:10pm] Ben___: are the raw videos all hosted somewhere? [9:10pm] Bluestreak: One sec [9:11pm] Bluestreak:!P8gGnLST!wXP0vUl-1qewhrg7S_V83A [9:11pm] Bluestreak: That is videos AND slides [9:11pm] Bluestreak: I want to wrok with my son who is an excllent editor but we have been on opposite schedules [9:11pm] Bluestreak: I need to nip that in the bud [9:12pm] Ben___: thanks for the link [9:12pm] Bluestreak: If you have anything to add? [9:12pm] Ben___: do we have a specific way the videos should look? [9:13pm] Bluestreak: IMO: Cool [9:13pm] Bluestreak: Caption the people’s names. [9:13pm] Bluestreak: I like captions [9:13pm] Ben___: captions are a great idea [9:13pm] Bluestreak: Overlay the slides over the speech [9:13pm] Bluestreak: at the appropirate places. [9:13pm] Ben___: makes sense [9:14pm] Bluestreak: Is editing a thing you do? [9:14pm] Ben___: i've dabbled, but it's been a while [9:14pm] Ben___: I've got more experience with the mechanical encoding of the videos into web format [9:15pm] Bluestreak: Something to keep in mind when the editing is done. Shall we move on? [9:15pm] Ben___: sure [9:16pm] Bluestreak: MAAPL [9:16pm] Bluestreak: I am not involved in this at all. Are you? [9:16pm] Ben___: I have not been yet, no [9:16pm] Bluestreak: OK let’s skip it until someone who is involved shows up or returns [9:17pm] Bluestreak: Newsletter. [9:17pm] Bluestreak: I have written a draft on why votes should support GMO labelling [9:17pm] Bluestreak: Positive feedback on Facebook so far, need to clean it up. [9:17pm] Ben___: great [9:18pm] Bluestreak: Is there anything you might like to write about? [9:18pm] Ben___: I'm happy to read through it and suggest edits [9:18pm] Bluestreak: I sent it to the Pirate list [9:18pm] Ben___: ok, perfect [9:18pm] Bluestreak: But I will send it again [9:18pm] Bluestreak: Thank you. [9:18pm] Ben___: I'm not sure there is a current topic that I know enough about [9:19pm] Bluestreak: That is fine. [9:19pm] Ben___: i guess I could write some general security recommendations [9:19pm] Bluestreak: That would be great [9:19pm] Ben___: perhaps highlight a couple nifty tools for activists [9:20pm] Bluestreak: Might as well submit something. So long as it’s Pirate relevant [9:20pm] Bluestreak: doesn’t have to be a novel [9:20pm] Ben___: that's something I feel comfortable writing a little bit about [9:20pm] Kendra joined the chat room. [9:20pm] Bluestreak: Ahoy! [9:20pm] Kendra: Hey Kendra Moyer East Boston [9:21pm] Ben___: welcome aboard Kendra [9:21pm] Bluestreak: We are talking about the newsletter [9:21pm] Bluestreak:,_2015_IRC_Meeting [9:21pm] Bluestreak: James and Steve both had to step out [9:22pm] Kendra: Hi, sorry to have dropped the ball on this, I am at both jobs today and had a computer break down this past week. I am going out of town Thursday but will have something drafted before I head out. Need to redo my template [9:22pm] Bluestreak: I drafted a piece about GMO labelling bill [9:22pm] Bluestreak: and Ben thinks he might have an article about tools for activists in him [9:22pm] Bluestreak: OK that was the next point, Layout [9:23pm] Bluestreak: But you’ve covered it [9:23pm] Bluestreak: Planning the distribution is the next point [9:24pm] Ben___: I work near the NonProfit Center in Boston, and can probably drop off some copies there [9:25pm] Bluestreak: Can we augment our email list somehow? [9:26pm] Ben___: to use it to send out the newsletter? [9:26pm] Bluestreak: Apparently [9:27pm] Bluestreak: in PDF form I think [9:27pm] Ben___: that makes a lot of sense [9:27pm] Bluestreak: Or.. maybe I misread that [9:27pm] Bluestreak: Perhaps we are looking for more snail mail addresses. [9:28pm] Kendra: I will try to send something to the mailing list during the meeting, sorry, just got settled. We can do PDF and if people have printers they can make copies and distribute them. [9:28pm] Ben___: since we have email addresses right now, I think that's the best way to send it [9:28pm] Ben___: if we collect more mailing addresses in the future, we could also include that [9:28pm] Bluestreak: We have SCATV as a place to leave it [9:28pm] Bluestreak: Democracy center [9:29pm] Bluestreak: E5 [9:29pm] Bluestreak: Anywhere else? [9:30pm] Ben___: would any libraries be good? [9:31pm] Bluestreak: Good idea! [9:31pm] Bluestreak: Someone would have to ask. [9:31pm] Bluestreak: Phone works. [9:32pm] Bluestreak: Any other Newsletter points? [9:32pm] Ben___: not fromme [9:33pm] Kendra: Just my apologies for not being more timely with this. Can someone please email me the pad address and I will start putting the articles into the template I have set up. [9:34pm] Kendra: Then i will send a copy of the scribus doc to the list and people can download and help edit [9:34pm] jokeefe: back, caught up [9:35pm] Kendra: I have a front page and wee need to decide if there is an image tha would be a good represntation, if you send it to me or point me to it I can put in in the doc right now. [9:35pm] jokeefe: will make the pad. [9:35pm] Kendra: Even if it is just from the website [9:35pm] Bluestreak: Thanks James, would you like to take the helm? [9:35pm] jokeefe: sure [9:35pm] Bluestreak: [9:37pm] jokeefe: emailing the scribus doc probably won’t work. could put it up elsewhere. how large is it likely to be Kendra? [9:40pm] Kendra: Hold on, checking [9:41pm] jokeefe: Media - don’t have an update on the press lists yet [9:43pm] jokeefe: We talked about doing press outreach for our presence at Freedom Rally, how do you all think we should approach it? [9:43pm] Kendra: So with the the first page on a trifold one sheet document is 28.1kb. That is without any photo images. [9:43pm] jokeefe: ok, so size is likely manageable. [9:43pm] Bluestreak: We should have coverage in Dig this year [9:44pm] Bluestreak: Maybe Greenleaf, too. [9:44pm] Kendra: We can probably put in onto Own Cloud too. Or some such service. [9:44pm] jokeefe: yay! [9:44pm] jokeefe: yes was looking at that. [9:44pm] jokeefe: good idea [9:44pm] Bluestreak: And Mike Cann is going to post about our presence on [9:46pm] Bluestreak: Next week. [9:46pm] jokeefe: thank you [9:46pm] Bluestreak: Welcome [9:46pm] Ben___: sounds good [9:47pm] jokeefe: other ideas? [9:47pm] Ben___: we should make sure that Freedom Rally is on [9:48pm] Bluestreak: Activist Calendar, too? [9:48pm] jokeefe: do you have an account, Ben? [9:49pm] Ben___: I can make an account for theBostonCalendar [9:49pm] jokeefe: thank you [9:50pm] Ben___: is there a main website for the Freedom Rally? [9:51pm] jokeefe: for us or the rally? [9:51pm] jokeefe: the rally is at [9:51pm] Bluestreak: [9:51pm] Bluestreak: is our FB event page [9:51pm] Ben___: ok, great. I don't see any listing for it at all [9:53pm] jokeefe: we need a more recent page on our site. [9:54pm] jokeefe: I will fix that and mail it out [9:58pm] Ben___: sounds like a plan [9:58pm] jokeefe: Bluestreak - do you need help with Massachusetts GMO labeling bill? [9:58pm] Bluestreak: Sure [9:58pm] jokeefe: wasn’t sure where we left off on that [9:59pm] Bluestreak: I need to add the bit about Indian Farmers [9:59pm] Bluestreak: maybe [9:59pm] Bluestreak: It’s already pretty long [9:59pm] Bluestreak: And I have had FB feedback that ppl like it the way it is. [9:59pm] jokeefe: Doesn’t need to be exhaustive. [9:59pm] Bluestreak: My figures aren’t cited though [9:59pm] jokeefe: if you can give me a summary of the figures you need I can find them for you [10:00pm] Bluestreak: I may just tighten it up a bit [10:00pm] Bluestreak: Two points [10:00pm] Kendra: My I sending the doc to the list right now. A couple of issues, but it should go out soon. [10:00pm] jokeefe: thank you [10:00pm] Bluestreak: What is the % variance on average of a GMO seed DNA [10:01pm] jokeefe: hmmm [10:01pm] Bluestreak: and what % of GMOs are sprayed with Glycosphate? [10:01pm] jokeefe: will see what I can find [10:02pm] jokeefe: we are at time [10:02pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn? [10:02pm] Bluestreak: 2nd [10:02pm] Ben___: I concur [10:03pm] Ben___: good meeting, thanks [10:03pm] Bluestreak: Thanks for coming! [10:03pm] jokeefe: thanks all [10:04pm] jokeefe: I’ll post the notes