August 21st, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  1. Justice for Michael Brown Rally
  2. TOUCHFM/BNN appearances

Tasks

  1. Update on candidate status, campaign strategies
  2. Freedom Rally
    1. Post/Email
    2. Materials
  3. PirateCon 2015

Events

  1. Sep. 13-14 noon-8pm Freedom Rally, Boston Common Logistics facebook event
  2. Sep. 17, 6:30-9pm, Key Signing Party, MIT Building E-51, Room 325, Wadsworth Street, Cambridge
  3. Sep 19, 5p-9p. Citizens Rising: A Republic Held Hostage And The Plan To Take It Back
  4. Sep. 20, 9a-5p. Software Freedom Day. Industry Lab 288 Norfolk Street, Cambridge, MA. We're doing a cryptoparty from 10:30 - noon.
  5. Sep. 26th. DMC in-person meeting. 4pm?
  6. Sep. 26-29, Freedom Not Fear wiki
  7. May 6, 2015, International Day against DRM.

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • Kendra

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

TouchFM, The Real Talk Show interviews went well. Real talk show interview posted at http://youtu.be/JpfDitZmIw0.

Noe has campaign meeting on Sunday, 7pm, at Noe's Campaign Central.

Motion to support 15 Now New England. http://15now.org/get-involved/in-your-area/new-england/. Motion Passes.

Steve and Jamie to work on flyer to hand out at Freedom rally. Why we're here; how the core MPP values pertain to the event; end the war on drugs. Perhaps both a candidate flyer and an issues flyer.

PirateCon 2015. No date set yet. Would prefer to avoid date conflicts with DMC. Would also prefer to avoid conflicts with spring breaks and college graduations. Harvard Spring Break is March 16th, MIT break is Mar 23rd. Easter is April 5th. Perhaps best to put together a survey of dates.

Minutes

 
20:42 < jokeefe> ahoy
20:42 < davidd> hi
20:56 < jokeefe> ahoy noe
20:57 < noe> ahoy!
20:59 < srevilak> hi all
20:59 < srevilak> watched the interview earlier this evening.  Nice job
20:59 < jokeefe> thanks
21:00 < noe> hooray!
21:01 < noe> jokeefe:  i am ill and can't pass Lolita the DVD tomorrow :(
21:01 < srevilak> noe: hope you feel better
21:01 < noe> chicken soup and gatorade and sleeeep
21:02 < noe> and also Pirate IRC!
21:02 < jokeefe> agenda at
      https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_21st,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < jokeefe> ids, James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < noe> jokeefe:  Lolita might contact you to get the DVD
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:02 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville
21:02 < jokeefe> I can mail it to her.
21:03 < jokeefe> hope you feel better soon, Noe
21:04 < jokeefe> Reviews
21:04 < noe> (gatorade!  i think its all the new kids on campus)
21:04 < jokeefe> Justice for Michael Brown Rally
21:04 < jokeefe> went well.
21:05 < jokeefe> srevilak, did you post a report?
21:05 < srevilak> jokeefe: no, sorry
21:05 < noe> We passed out materials!  And met lots of neat people,
      Lucia gave out buttons, those were a hit.
21:05  * srevilak adds rally to 2014 event notes
21:06 < noe> I've been contacted by SCATV to host an anti-police brutality
      panel, I have said yes, of course.
21:06 < jokeefe> yes!
21:06 < jokeefe> cool, clearly you need you own show.
21:06 < jokeefe> ;-)
21:06 < noe> I hope to get a member of the SPD as well as two people
      from the community
21:07 < jokeefe> TOUCHFM/BNN appearances went well.  video at
      http://youtu.be/JpfDitZmIw0  will post it to site
21:08 < jokeefe> helped them by posting it to our youtube account.
      most of the time was simply, reading/exporting/uploading the video
21:09 < srevilak> noe: that's great
21:09 < noe> did anything else happen this week?
21:09 < srevilak> Lucia's interview on touchfm went well? (I haven't
      heard anything)
21:10 < noe> Charles, her interviewer, was very pleased with her
      interview.  He would love to have I, James, Lucia or any other Pirate
      on next month, I think.
21:10 < noe> I don't know if we have access to the audio for Lucia's
      interview.
21:11 < jokeefe> Lucia is asking, I believe
21:12 < srevilak> Added some notes at
      https://masspirates.org/wiki/2014_Event_Notes
21:12 < noe> The catch with another Touch interview next month is that
      the interview would be early morning.  D:
21:12 < jokeefe> thanks.  srevilak
21:13 < noe> I think Lucia should be commended for doing it so early.  O_o
21:13 < jokeefe> aye!
21:13 < srevilak> I'm hoping I can participate in the next one
21:13 < jokeefe> that would be great!
21:14 < jokeefe> lets talk
21:14 < jokeefe> Update on candidate status, campaign strategies
21:14 < jokeefe> Noe has campaign meeting on Sunday, 7pm.
21:15 < noe> Yup!  We'll talk about fundraising and things to do maybe
      during the primary which is September 9
21:15 < noe> Also, I've been helping out with 15 Now New England:
      http://15now.org/get-involved/in-your-area/new-england/
21:15 < srevilak> where's the meeting?
21:16 < noe> Campaign HQ!  Also known as my place.
21:16 < noe> So, the folks at 15 Now New England know that I support them,
      but would like to know if the MA Pirate Party supports them (emotionally,
      not monetarily)
21:16 < srevilak> If you don't mind, I'd love to join you guys
21:16 < jokeefe> please do
21:16 < noe> srevilak:  please do!
21:17 < srevilak> noe: I think 15 minimum wage is a good movement.
21:17 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:17 < noe> ahoy!
21:17 < srevilak> I very much support
21:17 < jokeefe> aye!
21:17 < Kendra> Hi Everybody
21:17 < jokeefe> agenda -
      https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_21st,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:17 < srevilak> Hi Kendra!
21:18 < noe> with those endorsements, I think I can say that we support
15 Now New England.  I will post on the votenoelani blog accordingly,
      probably this weekend.
21:18 < srevilak> should we do motion to support 15 now, and vote?
21:18 < Kendra> 2nd
21:19 < srevilak> aye to support
21:19 < noe> aye!
21:19 < Kendra> aye
21:20 < jokeefe> aye - motion passes
21:20 < srevilak> It's cool that the 15 now NE photo is in E5's meeting
      room
21:21 < jokeefe> Freedom Rally - Post will be up tonight
21:22 < srevilak> Re: blog posts, I'm hoping to get another NSA post up
      this weekend
21:22 < jokeefe> great
21:25 < jokeefe> need a custom flier.  Will look at davidd's NL fliers.
      Asked if he had the source files
21:25 < srevilak> jokeefe: flyer for freedom rally?
21:25 < jokeefe> yes
21:25 < jokeefe> we never have one, and should.
21:26 < srevilak> I can take a pass at flyer copy
21:26 < noe> should it be a general join us flyer?
21:26 < noe> we do have events to promote, but there are a lot of events.
21:27 < srevilak> I assumed that jokeefe meant a flyer to hand out at
      freedom rally
21:27 < jokeefe> yes
21:27 < srevilak> Why we're here, and why you should support us.
      Become a pirate
21:28  * srevilak tries to picture a graphic that combines marijuana
      leaves and a pirate ship
21:28 < Kendra> Might want to include the core MPP values and how they
      pertain to the event
21:28 < jokeefe> and we support legalization
21:29 < srevilak> Kendra: agreed
21:29 < Kendra> Skull in the middle of the leaf
21:29 < jokeefe> davidd's flier has a nice design
21:29 < srevilak> :)
21:29 < srevilak> I'd also like to mention ending the war on drugs.
      I think that's a very important issue
21:29 < jokeefe> aye!
21:29 < Kendra> Police out of control
21:29 < noe> agreed!
21:30 < jokeefe> oh yes
21:32 < Kendra> Might have a candidate flyer and an issues flyer
21:32 < jokeefe> agreed
21:32 < jokeefe> need a whole bunch of fliers
21:33 < Kendra> When is the election?
21:33 < noe> three fliers!  join us, issues, candidates
21:33 < noe> General election is November 4, 2014
21:34 < Kendra> That
21:34 < Kendra> 's abotu t3n weeks?
21:34 < Kendra> A lot to do, but some good events
21:35 < jokeefe> yes
21:36 < jokeefe> next up - PirateCon 2015
21:37 < Kendra> Is there a set date?
21:37 < jokeefe> no
21:37 < jokeefe> DMC is in the spring.
21:37 < jokeefe> would like to avoid it.
21:37 < noe> Should we assume June?  Or maybe August?
21:38 < Kendra> I think either early spring or early summer.   Remember
      finals and graduation.
21:38 < srevilak> Spring break?
21:38 < jokeefe> I was thinking March
21:39 < srevilak> March seems okay
21:40 < noe> Second week of March?  (I think thats MIT and Harvard)
21:40 < Kendra> Is there a DMC date set yet?
21:40 < jokeefe> no
21:40 < jokeefe> trying to find college schedules
21:41 < srevilak> March is libreplanet.  May want to avoid conflicting
      with that
21:41 < Kendra> Not to mention Easter and spring break.
21:41 < jokeefe> yes
21:42 < jokeefe> http://www.studentcity.com/when-is-my-spring-break
21:42 < srevilak> If not march, maybe very beginning of April?
21:43 < noe> for Harvard its the week of Mar. 16 and MIT is the week of
      Mar. 23
21:43 < Kendra> Easter is April 5th
21:43 < Kendra> The weekend of 4/11 might work
21:44 < jokeefe> end of march seems to be spring break free though mit
      is 22 march
21:44 < Kendra> Or the march 27-29 weekend
21:44 < srevilak> Or late Feb?
21:44 < noe> jokeefe:  according to that website, the most common is
      the week of Mar. 16
21:45 < noe> (derp, 15)
21:45 < jokeefe> yes
21:46 < Kendra> maybe we should put the possible dates on the list and
      get a feel for what works for the majority of people
21:46 < jokeefe> Can do that.
21:46 < jokeefe> mayfirst has a survey system, IIRC
21:47 < jokeefe> limesurvey
21:47 < srevilak> jokeefe: I can look into limesurvey.
21:47 < srevilak> I know it's kicking around; haven't used it yet
21:49 < jokeefe> found this https://support.mayfirst.org/ticket/3222
21:49 < Kendra> Have we discussed a theme for this years pirate Con?
21:49 < jokeefe> their link to help may not work
21:49 < Kendra> next year
21:49 < jokeefe> no, Kendra, we haven't
21:49 < jokeefe> suggestions?
21:50 < Kendra> We told you so.
21:50 < Kendra> who's paranoid now?
21:51 < Kendra> I'm kidding, but not really
21:52 < Kendra> Maybe Government Transparency post-Snowden
21:53 < noe> That sounds sexier than Accountability
21:53 < Kendra> Police militarization after Ferguson --
21:54 < srevilak> Kendra: those are both very good titles
21:55 < Kendra> There has been a lot of talk about certain controversial
      political groups moving to free software to avoid surveillance.  Would we
      consider this a success?  What I mean is, in the exampleof ISIS in Syria,
      if they move to free software to continue what they are doing, is that
      a good or bad thing?
21:56 < Kendra> Furthermore, what are the perimeters for teaching
      free software to underrepresented communities under the Patriot Act?
      can teaching encryption be deemed a violtaion of the Patriot Act or
      providing material support to X, Y, And Z?
21:57 < jokeefe> I am not worried about whether IS uses free software.
      The US has already given them enough weapons indirectly.
21:57 < srevilak> Re: ISIS, when people give up guns because ISIS uses
      guns, then I will give up encryption because ISIS uses encryption
21:57 < Kendra> i have been hearing a bit more about free software falling
      into to hands of certain groups and I wonder if that will backfire on
      the FOSS movement.
21:58 < jokeefe> yes, teaching encryption to IS would be material support,
      but we aren't doing that
21:59 < Kendra> Anyway, expect to hear more about that.  the seeds
      are planted.  I man it is free software, so anyone can access it.
21:59 < noe> Kendra:  it is possible.  Although, I think they would
      stick to using software that is commonly used by their targets, which
      typically isn't free.
21:59 < jokeefe> wonder if they use salesforce
21:59 < srevilak> Kendra: translating Arabic has been found to be
      Violation of Patriot Act (Tarek Mahana).  I'm sure teaching free software
      would be too
22:00 < srevilak> But I think this goes to a bigger issue: how rigorously
      laws are enforced depends on who you are
22:01 < jokeefe> yes, Tarek Mahana went to jail for what a Mein Kampf
      translator did.
22:01 < Kendra> Interesting issues, also, they (ISI)  got kicked off of
      Twitter and YouTube and Facebook.  we need to think like the police about
      some of our protected activities.  Pkus you never know the intentions
      of people taking the classes, but where is the bright line between legal
      and illegal?
22:02 < noe> Ouch, we are at time.
22:02 < Kendra> Might make for some good discussion
22:02 < srevilak> Kendra: agreed
22:02 < jokeefe> agreed on both counts
22:02 < noe> I think this is definitely a good discussion and something
      we should continue
22:02 < jokeefe> will put a survey together.
22:02 < jokeefe> aye
22:02 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn?
22:02 < noe> motioned
22:02 < Kendra> 2nd
22:03 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:03 < srevilak> aye
22:03 < Kendra> aye
22:03 < jokeefe> aye
22:03 < noe> aye!
22:03 < Kendra> nite all
22:03 < srevilak> will post notes
22:03 < noe> nite!
22:03 < jokeefe> night