August 21st, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search




Freedom Rally

  • Table?
  • MeshNet site plan - in progress
  • Other things to do: Day Against DRM, Survey, Map CCTV cameras

Day Against DRM

  • Working with FSF to set up a planning call next week

Party Conference

Set for 9/29

  • Site walk through
  • Setup pirate pad
  • Setup Registration (jokeefe)
  • Setup page (jokeefe)
  • Write announcement blog post (jokeefe)
  • Email volunteers
  • Write weekly blog post reminders (jokeefe)

Video Newsletter


  • Donate Your Vote campaign (jokeefe)
  • S.2823 - A bill to modernize copyright law, and for other purposes - posted. jokeefe will create petition
  • Free Reality Winner - Approved. jokeefe will write a statement
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)
  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for. Bill did not get out of committee (jokeefe)

Computer Donations

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • install a Matrix server (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Upcoming Events


  • Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Pirate_Joe/Pirate_19868: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell


  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Pirate_78725


  • IRC meetings moved to Wednesday nights
  • Progress of projects proceeding



[9:03pm] Malt: Welcome~
[9:03pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:03pm] hvxgr: ahoy ( Tom Rodman/Milwaukee - observing )
[9:04pm] Pirate_78725 joined the chat room.
[9:04pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:04pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Agenda,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:04pm] jokeefe: guess we started with ids
[9:04pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:05pm] jokeefe: how are you all?
[9:06pm] Malt: No complaints!
[9:06pm] Pirate_78725: Meh.
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Sorry to hear that Pirate_78725
[9:06pm] Malt: got the national meeting tomorrow night
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Aye
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Same bat time, Different bat channel
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Anything to add to the agenda?
[9:08pm] hvxgr: no / I will be quiet, I think. /
[9:09pm] Malt: I was going to ask if we wanted to endorse the national prisoner's strike
[9:09pm] Malt: i can send out an e-mail
[9:10pm] jokeefe:
[9:11pm] jokeefe: We outlawed slavery (though not if you are a prisoner).
[9:11pm] Pirate_78725: ah, thank you for the link. The 13th amendment, yeah.
[9:11pm] Malt: there's a push for vote-trading, i've had luck reaching one of my non-voting friends who is interested in the idea
[9:11pm] Malt: they're also asking for statements of solidarity to send to the prisoners
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Labor only has dignity if it is fairly compensated. plus it is wrong to have tiny wage workers competing with minimum+ wage workers
[9:12pm] Pirate_78725: I'm confused how prisons are a private business, but don't our tax dollars fund some of it?
[9:13pm] jokeefe: We said we would support telling people about vote trading, IIRC
[9:13pm] jokeefe: I have no objection to supporting an honest days wage for an honest days labor
[9:14pm] hvxgr: In MKE we have a terrible jail downtown (17 deaths), tonight I went to a meeting w/about 6 attending to "close MSDF" #CLOSEMSF.  This group is active in the strike.
[9:14pm] Malt: gotcha
[9:15pm] Malt: niiiice!
[9:15pm] hvxgr: (about 60)
[9:15pm] hvxgr: Thx.
[9:15pm] Pirate_78725: MSDF - Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe joined the chat room.
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: Ahoy
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Some prisions are private. Muckrock had a whole series on them
[9:16pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:16pm] Pirate_78725: Yarp
[9:17pm] Malt: So, e-mail to the activist list about supporting the strike, and a blog post about vote trading?
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: Sry for the delay
[9:17pm] jokeefe: fine by me, Malt
[9:17pm] Pirate_78725: Muckrockcheck that out
[9:18pm] hvxgr: Right, you go to this for parole violations, like buying a car with out asking for permission.  Cells way over crowed, no AC, no windows, a 1 of kind iin USA mistake, has been compared to "super max prison".
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Updated,_2018_IRC_Meeting#Minutes with the minutes so far Pirate_Joe
[9:18pm] Malt: it's wretched
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Getting back to review - MassMesh is making progress. Scoping out a site in Somerville. Planning to build a temporary network at Freedom Rally
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Suggesting moving the weekly meeting to Wednesdays if that works
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Comments?
[9:22pm] Malt: No complaints from me
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: That works for me
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: Though tomorrow is the national meeting
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Great. Will update it on the site and announce it in the next email
[9:23pm] jokeefe: We can start next week 
[9:24pm] Malt: I mean, I probably won't be able to make the next month or so's worth of meetings
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Different timezone?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Speaking of the national meeting. Will one of you be able to attend?
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe left the chat room. (Quit:
[9:25pm] Malt: I'll be there
[9:26pm] Malt: Correct
[9:26pm] Pirate_19868 joined the chat room.
[9:26pm] Pirate_19868: I plan to attend
[9:26pm] Malt: nice
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Thanks to both of you for attending
[9:27pm] Pirate_78725: Is that #uspp, correct?
[9:27pm] Pirate_19868: Yes
[9:27pm] jokeefe: On to Projects
[9:27pm] Pirate_78725: cool
[9:27pm] Malt: thanks
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Freedom Rally
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Mentioned the mesh net
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe did you contact them about a table?
[9:28pm] Pirate_19868: I did not
[9:28pm] Pirate_19868: I will have an opportunity tomorrow morning though
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Great
[9:29pm] jokeefe: If we cannot get a table, we can setup elsewhere, but won’t be able to stay overnight
[9:30pm] Pirate_19868: I will see what I can do
[9:30pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:32pm] Malt:
[9:32pm] jokeefe: I figure between live streaming, the mesh net, handing out Day Against DRM fliers and just tabling we will probably have our handsful.
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Day Against DRM - still working out details. Will see how much it will cost to print new fliers like we had last time.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Party Conference - Page and blog post are up. Email is out. Contacting volunteers. Malt, do you have time to send out some emails this week?
[9:35pm] Malt: sure
[9:35pm] jokeefe: thanks. Do you need me to send you the list of volunteers or can you find it at crew?
[9:36pm] Pirate_78725: Quick question: Is Mesh Net currently only being done in Massachusetts?
[9:36pm] jokeefe: there are other efforts
[9:37pm] jokeefe: nyc mesh, detroit, new orleans I think. plus freifunk in germany, and other countries
[9:37pm] Malt: i should be able to find it in crew
[9:38pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:38pm] Malt: i, uh, just. . . don't seem to have crew bookmarked
[9:39pm] jokeefe:
[9:39pm] jokeefe: let’s mark the ones you contact so we don’t both contact the same people. There is a tab for that in each record.
[9:39pm] Malt: gotcha, will do!
[9:40pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:41pm] jokeefe: I’ll put out a blog post a week about it and our progress and aim to have a weekly email.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Setup to keep of things
[9:41pm] Malt: Joe I can handle central and western mass
[9:41pm] Malt: if you want to contact folks out your way
[9:41pm] jokeefe: that works too.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: I will get Eastern Mass.
[9:42pm] Malt: thanks!
[9:43pm] jokeefe: We have one speaker so far. Will email the activist list about it.
[9:43pm] Pirate_19868: You mean north and east?
[9:43pm] Malt: Niiiice
[9:43pm] Malt: So we're looking for volunteers who can help us setup and staff the tent, yeah?
[9:43pm] jokeefe: if you can, Pirate_19868. Shouldn’t be too many to be taxing
[9:44pm] jokeefe: I’ll start in Boston and work my way out
[9:45pm] jokeefe: I put together this draft schedule
[9:45pm] Malt: Nice nice nice
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Six hour long blocks for planning, issue development and how-tos
[9:46pm] jokeefe: I can do a how to run for local office talk like we did in Worcester
[9:46pm] Malt: That'd be cool
[9:46pm] Malt: The emails are for the freedom rally?
[9:46pm] jokeefe: And the party conference.
[9:47pm] jokeefe: see if they can help
[9:47pm] jokeefe: follow up with phone calls
[9:47pm] Pirate_19868: I would like to speak on other ways to serve.
[9:47pm] jokeefe: that sounds good, Pirate_19868
[9:47pm] jokeefe: how much time would you like?
[9:47pm] Malt: okay
[9:48pm] Pirate_19868: Maybe fill a couple of spots on our roster
[9:48pm] Pirate_19868: 10 minutes
[9:49pm] jokeefe: ok. thanks!
[9:49pm] jokeefe: will email the list
[9:50pm] jokeefe: for idea
[9:50pm] jokeefe: s
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - Joe. do you have time this weekend to record?
[9:51pm] Pirate_19868: I should be able to next Wednesday actually.
[9:51pm] Pirate_19868: Any suggestions for the topic?
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Upcoming events?
[9:51pm] Pirate_19868: Sounds good
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Thoughts on recent events?
[9:51pm] jokeefe: political events
[9:52pm] Pirate_19868: Maybe a second video on the meshnet updates as well?
[9:52pm] jokeefe:
[9:52pm] Pirate_19868: You mean the disaster forming in the eu?
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Could. Protests will have happened by then
[9:52pm] Pirate_19868: Or silicon valley of Alex jones?
[9:53pm] Pirate_78725: lol
[9:53pm] Pirate_19868: I think it's funny, more people are talking about him than ever
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Here is a feel good local story
[9:53pm] Malt: he failed to stop the frogs from becoming gay
[9:53pm] Malt: wooohoo!
[9:53pm] Pirate_19868: He did, lol
[9:54pm] jokeefe:
[9:54pm] Pirate_19868: Hes such a nut but I would hate to be next....
[9:54pm] Malt: you won't be
[9:54pm] jokeefe: or this chestnut
[9:55pm] Pirate_78725: "As their male tissue becomes active, the females adopt male behaviors such as fighting and courting. When the testes are fully developed, the females come to look like males and are indistinguishable from other male frogs."
[9:56pm] Pirate_78725: I love it when education fails and nuts like Alex Jones are taken for their word 
[9:56pm] jokeefe: “Cheering on such actions because they censor white supremacists and Nazis, leaves us vulnerable to hearing only the speech that corporate elites want us to hear.”
[9:57pm] jokeefe: So we are coming to the end of our hour.
[9:57pm] hvxgr: George Martin, a local activist in MKE, just  had his recent facebook article on 'non violent civil disobedience' taken down by FB.  We live in 1984, very disturbing about all the censorship.
[9:58pm] Pirate_19868: Sadly, we are. I hate to admit it but let the legal system work on Jones and not censorship.
[9:58pm] Malt: seen someone have a post about verbal abuse's link to PTSD taken down too
[9:58pm] jokeefe: Actually, Wed. won’t work. Pirate_19868. The following weekend?
[9:58pm] jokeefe: for the video recording that is
[9:58pm] Pirate_78725: whoa
[9:58pm] Pirate_19868: That is fine, but will have to be Sunday night.
[9:59pm] jokeefe: that is fine
[9:59pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn then?
[9:59pm] Pirate_19868: I second
[9:59pm] Pirate_78725: I look forward to updates on the Mesh Net. Want to see if that's successful
[10:00pm] jokeefe: so do we Pirate_78725
[10:00pm] jokeefe: will send updates
[10:00pm] Pirate_78725: \m/
[10:00pm] Pirate_19868: I hope you have a wonderful evening
[10:00pm] Pirate_78725: Take care
[10:01pm] jokeefe: you two we are adjourned then
[10:01pm] jokeefe: will post notes
[10:01pm] hvxgr: good night all