August 21st, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Goals for Q3:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings & Party Conference

Leader: jokeefe

Most votes for weekend of 9/21 for the party conference. E5 has openings that weekend as well as the two weekends after.

Looking at late October or November for the Holyoke meetup.

Perhaps a Worcester meetup the month after the Holyoke meetup?

National Party

Video Newsletter

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording?

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Next meeting will be October 5th, 11am-1pm, possibly at E5. Topics are:

  • find discussion/voting system;
  • update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
  • write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).

Tasks

Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion ban bills/laws

Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

H.2419 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. jokeefe will submit testimony.

National Platform reform/remake

Tabled Projects

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Non-pirate guest speakers for Pirate News

CCTV camera map

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Video Newsletter guest speakers

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 8/24, Lowell Pirate Picnic, Lowell
  • 8/27, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 8/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts
  •  ?, ?, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke
  • 9/3, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, Cambridge
  • 9/10, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  •  ?, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Arlington

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • igel
  • DesmondRavenston
  • srevilak
  • Malt
  • designanddraft

Observers

  • bonelesspepsi[m]
  • davidd
  • hvxgr
  • MikaelaSuomalainen
  • Deffy
  • haskal

Summary

Party conference on Sep 21st. Will reserve E5.

Pirate Picnic is this Saturday, starting at 1p. See https://masspirates.org/blog/2019/08/13/lowell-pirate-picnic-august-24th/

National party is opening a bank account, etc.

Next Tech meeting Oct 5th 11a - 1p @ E5.

Minutes

 
21:02 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_21st,_2019_IRC_Meeting
21:02 <@jokeefe> ids
21:02 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < DesmondRavenstone> Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
21:02 < igel[m]> william fleurant, arlington
21:03 <@jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:03 < igel[m]> ahoy :]
21:03  * igel[m] looking at agenda
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:04 <@jokeefe> Nothing for review or decisions, skipping to projects
21:05 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings & Party Conference
21:05 < igel[m]> no, none
21:05 < DesmondRavenstone> From the posts on the activist list, looks
        like we'll be at Encuerto 5, yes?
21:06 <@jokeefe> Yes. The poll had 9/21 as the best date and Encuentro
        5 is open. Cost is $200. They have a screen and sound system.
21:06 <@jokeefe> and projector.
21:06 <@jokeefe> Shall we confirm for that date?
21:07 < DesmondRavenstone> Sounds good to me.
21:07 < srevilak> go for it!
21:08 <@jokeefe> Ask for space for 9am to 6pm?  Start at 10am and cleanup
        by 6pm?
21:08 < srevilak> Those times sound reasonable
21:08 < DesmondRavenstone> Aye
21:08 <@jokeefe> All in favor?
21:08 < DesmondRavenstone> Aye
21:08 < srevilak> aye
21:09 <@jokeefe> aye
21:09 <@jokeefe> Any opposed?
21:09 < srevilak> nay
21:10 < srevilak> (Not opposed :)
21:10 <@jokeefe> :-)
21:10 <@jokeefe> Motion passes. Will confirm with E5 by tomorrow and
        announce it as well
21:11 < srevilak> Thank you!
21:11 < DesmondRavenstone> :)
21:11 <@jokeefe> Lowell picnic is this Saturday
        starting at 1pm. Updated the location at
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2019/08/13/lowell-pirate-picnic-august-24th/
21:13 < srevilak> hai Malt!
21:13 < Malt> Sam capradae, Worcester
21:13 <@jokeefe> I reached out to our Holyoke contact about having the
        meetup there in Nov/Dec.
21:13 < Malt> Sorry for the delay, baby class at hospital
21:13 <@jokeefe> welcome Malt
21:13 <@jokeefe> That is a priority
21:13 < srevilak> baby class is important
21:14 <@jokeefe> Malt - what do you think about a Worcester meetup
        in Nov/Dec?
21:14 < Malt> Learning all the new sciences, like Perpetual Feeding
21:14 < Malt> Would be a good way to respond to the last election
21:14 <@jokeefe> true
21:15 <@jokeefe> Would you see what spaces/dates are open, Malt?
21:15 < Malt> Sure
21:15 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:15 <@jokeefe> National Party
21:16 <@jokeefe> They are starting a bank account
21:16 <@jokeefe> and all that
21:17 <@jokeefe> Since the national party coop rules would have a vote a
        state, Pirate_Joe wanted to know how we thought decisions should be made.
21:18 < DesmondRavenstone> Would make sense if he brought agenda items
        in advance to this forum for discussion and consensus/vote
21:18 <@jokeefe> I think decisions should be on a two week schedule:
        1. Announce proposal, 2. States review and approve or offer amendments
        3. national reps adjusts and votes
21:19 <@jokeefe> Agreed DesmondRavenstone
21:19 <@jokeefe> Thoughts?
21:19 < Malt> Neat
21:19 < DesmondRavenstone> Sounds good
21:21 < Malt> Works for me
21:22 <@jokeefe> Any other thoughts?
21:22 < designanddraft> ways to accommodate for disputes as majority
        does not rule?
21:22 <@jokeefe> such as?
21:24 < DesmondRavenstone> Remember that consensus isn't just "unanimous
        vote" but a process of discerning common ground, taking "minority"
        concerns into account
21:25 < Malt> A roadblock process might be useful
21:25 < DesmondRavenstone> You don't just vote "yes" or "no" but come
        up with an answer to the question, even if that answer is different from
        the original proposal
21:25 < Malt> Ultimately it's hard to know what problems well run into
        beforehand
21:26 <@jokeefe> Will suggest it.
21:26 <@jokeefe>
        https://wiki.pirate-party.us/Pirate_National_Committee_(PNC)/Bylaws
21:26 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:26 < designanddraft> thx
21:26 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter
21:26 < igel[m]> whats by roadblock?
21:27 <@jokeefe> Sunday 10am for next pirate news recording?
21:27 < DesmondRavenstone> Topics?
21:27 < srevilak> I'll be traveling
21:27 < designanddraft> roadblock guessing...no pass if someone definitely
        opposed
21:28 < Malt> An intractable problem
21:29 < igel[m]> aah ok so this question is recursive even when in
        discussion about it :]
21:29 <@jokeefe> consensus decisionmaking allows 1 or more to have a
        blocking concern
21:30 <@jokeefe> once are concerns are resolved, the motion
        passes. assumes concerns are honest though
21:31 < igel[m]> ok
21:31 < igel[m]> (w/ me)
21:32 <@jokeefe> Topics: ooo so many. Mass. facial surveillance bill,
        Amazon’s deal with police to make warrantless review of their
        surveillance cameras, FCC as free speech police, …
21:34 < Malt> That Amazon police bill seems like easy leverage
21:34 < Malt> The agreements aren't producing much fruit for the cops
21:34 < Malt> Could be an easy push to get Boston to step back also
21:34 < Malt> Frame it as a cost concern
21:36 <@jokeefe> Cool. So 10am Sunday?
21:37 < designanddraft> new topics?...talked by phone with christine
        and joseph, i am volunteering for national presidential ticket on pirate
        party platform, decentralize banking and laws off my body, etc
21:37 < Malt> Ok w/me
21:37 < Malt> Neat!
21:37 < srevilak> nice!
21:38 < DesmondRavenstone> :)
21:38 <@jokeefe> Great. Will send notice to the activists list
21:38 <@jokeefe> Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)
21:38 <@jokeefe> Next meeting will be October 5th, 11am-1pm
21:39 <@jokeefe> I asked E5 if we can meet there. Cost is around $30.
21:39 < srevilak> Works for me
21:39 <@jokeefe> DesmondRavenstone - should we retire the Boston Sex
        Worker Petition?
21:40 < DesmondRavenstone> No, let's keep it up … Could prompt more
        inquiries later on, perhaps a surge if things develop. Remember every
        signature gets a notice sent to the police Commissioner.
21:41 <@jokeefe> ok
21:42 <@jokeefe> That is all there is on the agenda
21:42 <@jokeefe> If there isn’t anything else, shall we adjourn?
21:42 < DesmondRavenstone> Sounds like a plan
21:43 < srevilak> aye
21:43 <@jokeefe> aye
21:43 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:43 <@jokeefe> thank you.