August 23rd, 2016 IRC Meeting
Aaron James Campaign
- 8/27, ?pm, Going door-to-door
- 8/30,6-9:30, Aaron James Event, The Somerville Armory, 191 Highland Ave, Somerville
Discussion of Ballot Measures
Surveillance camera map
There may be a focused effort on mapping the cameras in Somerville and Cambridge.
Freedom Rally will be 9/17-18. We will have a table. Volunteer signup form. Need to and email/call volunteers.
PirateCon Recording Status
November Run for local office conference
At the Pirate Picnic we tentatively scheduled November 12th to be a Run for local office conference. The objective is to teach people to run for local office. There will be sessions on:
- running for representative town meeting
- running for town-wide and city elections
- what you can accomplish in local office.
We will reach out to other groups and see if they are interested in participating.
It will run from noon-5pm. srevilak is checking on the availability of the Tent City Community Room.
Democracy center's room rates are here: http://democracycenter.org/book-a-room
- 8/27, 1-5pm, Boston Public Library Cryptoparty, Grove Hall Branch, 41 Geneva Avenue, Dorchester.
- 8/30,6-9:30, Aaron James Event, The Somerville Armory, 191 Highland Ave, Somerville
- 8/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
- 9/17-18, Freedom Rally Table. Volunteer signup
- 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
- Democracy/IT meeting
- WMass Cryptoparty
- How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer
- 11/12, noon-5pm, Run for local office conference
Aaron James Campaign Update. Aaron was on the Young Jurks this past Saturday. More canvassing this Saturday. Another campaign event on 8/30 @ Somerville Armory (6p-9:30p)
Cryptoparty. Jamie and Ben are doing a cryptoparty at the BPL in Dorchester on Saturday.
Ballot Measures. https://ballotpedia.org/Massachusetts_2016_ballot_measures. Plan to review the ballot questions during the week. We'll try to form a party position next week. A place to draft positions: http://piratepad.net/r7PEC7Winx
CCTV mapping. FFTF might be interested in collaborating on what we've done with https://cctv.masspirates.org. Probably best for Jamie and JTIII to discuss collaboration parameters.
Pirate podcasts. Steve had to miss a week; FOIA for fun and Liberation will go up next weekend. Noe has video, but hasn't had the chance to do any editing.
Running for local office. Democracy center reserved for Nov 12, 12:30p - 5:00pm. Perhaps another one in springfield, and/or Amherst
21:08 < noe> Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_23rd,_2016_IRC_Meeting 21:08 < papegaai> Title: August 23rd, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org) 21:08 < srevilak> thx 21:08 < igel> ello' 21:09 < noe> thx! 21:09 < noe> Aaron James Campaign update: he was on the Young Jurks this past Saturday 21:09 < Bluestreak> Great picture! 21:09 < Bluestreak> Very sexy! 21:10 < noe> :D Thanks Lucia 21:10 < srevilak> It was a good program. Aaron was relaxed and very fluid 21:11 < noe> Aaron is making definite progress. :D 21:12 < noe> The intent is that this Saturday he'd like to take a group out canvassing. 21:13 < noe> It would be awesome if we could get a better turnout for his campaign event next week Tuesday (8/30 6-9:30pm Somerville Armory) 21:13 < noe> If people know of outlets that may be interested in interviewing Aaron, feel free to mention them. 21:14 < igel> yeah def 21:14 < Bluestreak> There is a Crypto party Sat? 21:14 < noe> I think we have sent the regular round of emails, but phone calls may be easiest. It's been difficult for the campaign to make phone calls during the work day so if there is anyone interested, please let me know. 21:14 < Bluestreak> Jason and I will be at the Tues night thing 21:15 < Bluestreak> I will… you have numbers? 21:15 < noe> We have more people listed as going on FB than before 21:15 < noe> So, I feel like there is an intent to go . . . 21:16 < noe> I will be there, as will the rest of the committee 21:16 < Bluestreak> About Sat canvassing tho 21:16 < Bluestreak> There is a conflict? 21:16 < Bluestreak> The CP in Dorchester? 21:16 < noe> Yes, I think you're right. 21:16 < Bluestreak> It ends at 5 21:17 < Bluestreak> Ahoy! 21:17 < moses> ahoy 21:17 < moses> hi all 21:17 < igel> hi 21:17 < noe> The Crypto Party in Dorchester at the Public Library is 1-5pm, and canvassing is usually a 2pmish start. 21:17 < srevilak> hi moses 21:17 < noe> ahoy moses! 21:18 < srevilak> I believe that Jamie and Aaron are covering the cryptoparty 21:18 < srevilak> I believe that Jamie and Ben are covering the cryptoparty 21:18 < srevilak> (sorry, Ben, not Aaron) 21:19 < noe> Yes, I think you're right Steve. 21:19 < srevilak> Podcast of Saturday's Young Jurks: http://wemfradio.com/2016/08/20/young-jurks-8-20-16/ 21:19 < papegaai> Title: WEMF Radio Radio Now! » Young Jurks presented by Canna Care Docs: 8.20.16 (at wemfradio.com) 21:19 < noe> good link! 21:20 < noe> We have a general discussion of ballot measures on the Agenda. 21:21 < noe> Here is the ballotpedia URL for all four questions: https://ballotpedia.org/Massachusetts_2016_ballot_measures 21:21 < papegaai> Title: Massachusetts 2016 ballot measures - Ballotpedia (at ballotpedia.org) 21:22 < noe> Allowing Question 1 to pass will allow the Gaming Commission to issue one additional slots license. 21:23 < igel> nice i really liked that last mid-term elections i think it was.. you put it together right? really helped me/others out 21:23 < igel> err, not this site, but another one. may be it was by email? 21:24 < noe> Probably email! I think there is a lot of interesting related content about these questions, mostly about who funded petition gathering and such, but yes. 21:25 < noe> Most of the related information on ballotpedia and other websites doesn't have that immediately available. 21:25 < Bluestreak> I move that we review the questions this week 21:25 < Bluestreak> then vote on the party postition next week 21:26 < noe> That sounds reasonable. Does anyone else second? 21:26 < igel> for sure 21:26 < srevilak> second 21:26 < noe> So moved! 21:26 < Bluestreak> I also move that we (I) write a supporting blog post for our position 21:27 < noe> That is a great movement. I second it heartily. 21:27 < Bluestreak> We can use a Pirate pad for everyone to put in their two cents 21:27 < srevilak> sounds fine to me 21:27 < igel> def need to review 21:27 < Bluestreak> I sent only two things to the list, the ballotopedia link 21:28 < Bluestreak> and the OCPF report 21:28 < Bluestreak> all the MSM articles on the questions have BIAS 21:28 < igel> shoot, i need to update my email to the list 21:28 < Bluestreak> Ew bias! 21:28 < moses> muhahaha 21:29 < noe> sooo much bias. 21:30 < Bluestreak> I advise you to consult many sources 21:30 < Bluestreak> I posted the John Oliver POV to the MPP FB page. 21:30 < noe> PiratePad for 2016 Ballot Questions: http://piratepad.net/r7PEC7Winx 21:30 < papegaai> Title: PiratePad: r7PEC7Winx (at piratepad.net) 21:30 < Bluestreak> He does NOT touch on any problems in MA charter schools 21:30 < Bluestreak> TY Noe 21:31 < moses> I was also gonna suggest that 21:33 < srevilak> On to CCTV map? 21:34 < noe> Yes please 21:35 < noe> People are using Open Street Map to update https://cctv.masspirates.org/ 21:35 < papegaai> Title: The CCTV map (extracted from OpenStreetMap) (at cctv.masspirates.org) 21:35 < srevilak> Jamie has been the lead on this effort 21:35 < noe> There are nearly 1,000 mapped in the Metro Boston area alone. 21:35 < srevilak> as far as I know, he's just using OSM's phone app to add camera locations (Infrastructure > Surveillance Camera) 21:36 < Bluestreak> We need him to teach us how to do what he does 21:36 < Bluestreak> It’s one thing to post about it... 21:36 < Bluestreak> It’s another to have a class. 21:36 < noe> That is a wonderful idea. 21:36 < Bluestreak> I will post that to the list 21:36 < srevilak> A dedicated phone app would be great (to automate the proess) 21:36 < Bluestreak> So he can mull it over. 21:37 < Bluestreak> sheesh is such a thing available? 21:37 < noe> He has done live demos in person, but an educational event would be cool. 21:37 < JTIII> Steve, I emailed you and James about this idea earlier today. I was thinking about floating this idea to my org (FFTF) for us to either promote the site, or even better, build a companion phone app to view and add aditional camera locations. Nothing set in stone, but I am discussing the idea with a few people at FFTF. Any interest in collaboration? 21:37 < srevilak> JTIII: sorry for not responding (had a meeting at town hall) 21:38 < srevilak> but I think there's definitely room for collaboration 21:38 < Bluestreak> How long do you think it would take to create such an app? 21:38 < JTIII> no worries! :) 21:38 < noe> I think that's a great idea! 21:38 < srevilak> Jamie has mapped hundreds of cameras, so he's probably the best one to comment on workflow/how to make the process easy 21:39 < JTIII> then there is my much more far fetched idea of turning it into an alternate reality game like Pokemon Go! (but that's another conversation, for another day :P) 21:39 < srevilak> Heh, instead of catch the poekmon, you run from the camera :) 21:39 < JTIII> I am not sure how long it would take. I would need to discuss it with our dev more, but there is some interest. 21:39 < Bluestreak> This is the joke we were making at MIT 21:40 < noe> CCTV No! 21:40 < Bluestreak> While everyone was playing Pokemon Go Jamie was mapping cameras 21:40 < Bluestreak> lol 21:40 < JTIII> We would definitely need some help here and there. It sounds like Jamie might be able to fill in some gaps we were seeing in the development. 21:41 < igel> can we identify cameras via their MAC address? 21:42 < srevilak> igel: to get mac, you'd need to be on the same subnet, no? 21:42 < igel> we could automate the discovery if thats possible.. with wifi.. pretty much. 21:42 < noe> i think the map is strictly geography right now. 21:43 < Bluestreak> Perhaps the proposed app is a subject for the next IT meeting? 21:43 < srevilak> here's the map: https://cctv.masspirates.org/ 21:43 < igel> i dont believe so , if the cameras are IP cameras, then we should be able to see it 21:43 < papegaai> Title: The CCTV map (extracted from OpenStreetMap) (at cctv.masspirates.org) 21:43 < Bluestreak> Which is going to be when? 21:44 < JTIII> I would be happy to attend, and I can bring try to get out CTO to come as well. 21:44 < igel> may be there is a list. i think this is very possible 21:44 < JTIII> our* 21:44 < srevilak> I think that Jamie and JTIII should get together, and discuss parameters for collaboratoin 21:44 < srevilak> Next IT meeting has not been scheduled 21:44 < Bluestreak> Can we do that now? 21:45 < srevilak> Bluestreak: two of the main IT meeting attendees aren't here this evening 21:45 < Bluestreak> Gotcha 21:45 < noe> They will be at the CP, so maybe someone can ask them at that time? 21:45 < srevilak> I think this is something we can discuss over email 21:45 < srevilak> no? 21:45 < noe> yes! 21:46 < noe> that will be faster. 21:46 < noe> should we move on to talk about Freedom Rally? 21:46 < srevilak> I've there's a big promotion behind cctv.masspirates.org, we may want to put it behind deflect, or similar anti-DDOS service 21:46 < srevilak> but that's topic for later discussion 21:47 < srevilak> Sorry, as noe said, Freedom Rally 21:47 < noe> Reminder that it will be two days again 9/17-9/18 21:48 < noe> We have a table reserved and would love to see people during the day. 21:48 < srevilak> I put together volunteer signup form: https://masspirates.org/crew/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=17 21:48 < papegaai> Title: Table with us at the Freedom Rally | Mass Pirates Crew (at masspirates.org) 21:48 < noe> If people want to meet Aaron James, he'll be talking and doing some outreach. 21:48 < noe> Additionally, he intends to drop by the table, too. 21:49 < Bluestreak> Jason and James are going to do set up on Friday night 21:49 < noe> Thanks for the volunteer form! 21:49 < Bluestreak> Jason should be there all day both days. 21:50 < JTIII> Just signed up to help out 21:50 < noe> Hooray! Feel free to spread the link to others. The more the merrier. 21:50 < srevilak> Thanks, JTIII 21:50 < JTIII> I can be available all day if need be 21:51 < Bluestreak> That would be awesome! 21:51 < JTIII> set up / break down, whatever is needed 21:51 < JTIII> I'll share it too 21:52 < noe> It should be a great event. 21:52 < noe> Moving to PirateCon recording status: Audio from PirateCon has been posted regularly to the blog. 21:52 < noe> I still have video files, but haven't had time to edit or post. 21:53 < srevilak> I wasn't able to finish Maya's foia talk this weekend; it will go up next weekend 21:54 < srevilak> This summer has definitely been our best summer for views: https://archive.org/details/masspirates&tab=about 21:54 < papegaai> Title: Massachusetts Pirate Party : Free Audio : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive (at archive.org) 21:54 < Bluestreak> OK for setup and breakdown we will be in touch… can send me your email? 21:54 < noe> I think Maya's foia talk was brilliant, and I hope people will enjoy it. 21:55 < JTIII> You asking me <Bluestreak>> 21:55 < Bluestreak> yes pls 21:55 < Bluestreak> Email me you ph number 21:55 < Bluestreak> so J and J can text to coordinate 21:55 < Bluestreak> EMAIL REDACTED 21:56 < noe> We have one more item on the Agenda about a post elections conference geared towards getting people to run for office 21:56 < Bluestreak> Was that going to be a fund raiser? 21:56 < noe> Tentatively, its scheduled for 11/12. We can make that a fundraiser, it may be a good idea. 21:56 < srevilak> Bluestreak: no; more skill share about running for local office 21:56 < Bluestreak> OK 21:57 < srevilak> We have democracy center reserved from 12:30 - 5pm on Nov 12th 21:57 < srevilak> Jamie was working on another event -- Springfield, IIRC 21:58 < srevilak> We had also discussed Amherst at one point, I think 21:58 < moses> yesss 21:58 < Bluestreak> Can we push that off to next week? 21:58 < moses> I belive that was me 21:58 < moses> actually, relevent bit insofar as it involves me, if i may? 21:58 < Bluestreak> The Spfld event that is 21:58 < Bluestreak> ok 21:59 < noe> Bluestreak: I think we're nearly at time, so we can push that to next week. 21:59 < Bluestreak> Just meant since James isn’t here 21:59 < Bluestreak> that too 21:59 < noe> That's all the Agenda business, does anyone have pressing things they want to mention? 21:59 < srevilak> moses: if you have an update, please share (or if no update, that's okay too) 21:59 < Bluestreak> Remember! 22:00 < Bluestreak> The vote on the questions positions will be next week! 22:00 < Bluestreak> Please make your decisions and be here to vote! 22:00 < moses> yes 22:00 < noe> Feel free to add to the discussions on the PiratePad: http://piratepad.net/r7PEC7Winx 22:00 < papegaai> Title: PiratePad: r7PEC7Winx (at piratepad.net) 22:01 < moses> just that I got a new job and I'm moving to the other side of the sate 22:01 < moses> state 22:01 < srevilak> Oh wow, congrats (I hope) 22:01 < Bluestreak> Which side? 22:01 < Bluestreak> East side? 22:01 < noe> congrats on the new job! i am sorry about moving, because moving is usually terrible. 22:02 < moses> Martha's Vinyard 22:03 < srevilak> wow, when you said other side of the state, you weren't kidding :) 22:03 < Bluestreak> lol 22:03 < noe> O_o 22:03 < Bluestreak> Also very hard to reach 22:03 < moses> yuuuuuup. 22:04 < JTIII> Should I just email Jamie in our thread about the app <srevilak>? 22:04 < srevilak> JTIII: sounds good 22:04 < noe> (we are beyond time so if people want to disperse that is cool) 22:04 < noe> srevilak: could you post the minutes? 22:04 < srevilak> motion to adjourn 22:04 < srevilak> noe: yes 22:04 < Bluestreak> 2nd 22:04 < Bluestreak> aye