August 29th, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

  1. Events
    1. 8/24 CryptoParty, 1pm - 3pm - e5, Boston - 9 Hamilton Place at Park st next to the Orpheum
    2. General Meeting, 9/1
    3. Art of the Schmooze, 9/3
    4. Berkman Institute Open House, 9/9
    5. Freedom Rally, September 14 & 15 - Need organizers, announcement for volunteers
    6. Constitution Day Speakout, September 17, Boston
    7. Boston Software Freedom Day, Sat., Sept. 21st, 9:30am - 5:30pm
    8. CryptoParty, Sat., Sept. 28th, ?
    9. Digital Media Conference, Cambridge, Oct. 25-27
    10. LibrePlanet Free Software Meeting, Weds Nov 6th, evening, Jamie speaking on the "Dangers of the Surveillance State
    11. LibrePlanet Free Software Meeting, Weds Dec 4th, evening, Steve speaking
  2. Post-convention tasks
  3. Endorsements
  4. August Tasks http://piratenpad.de/SKwdoMqk26
    1. College Coordinators (black_van)
    2. Research what qualifies as an acceptable signature and other ballot access requirements
    3. Research DB & Community Site (Gregg)
    4. Get a list of the colleges in Mass. and what their requirements are to start a Pirate group (Kendra/William)
    5. Identify dates and requirements for 2014 Town & 2013 City elections
    6. Divide Mass. into 27 districts (Jason/John/William)
    7. Setup voter reg app (John)
    8. Min materials for College Groups
    9. Make How to Party videos
    10. Develop draft platform / planks
    11. Media strategy

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • Igel
  • Kendra
  • srevilak

Observers:

  • davidd
  • Shidash
  • oneirosFade

Summary

Meeting Minutes

jokeefe: agenda - http://www.masspirates.org/wiki/August_29th,_2013_IRC_Meeting
[9:03pm] igel_: you want to demo a project meshnet box jokeefe ??
[9:03pm] js0000: igel_: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at urlcloud.net.
[9:03pm] Bluestreak: Me neither
[9:03pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:03pm] igel_: hmm. want to see somthin else 1 sec in the mean sec..
[9:03pm] igel_: 1sec..
[9:04pm] Bluestreak: FYI Jason will be sleeping rather than attending.
[9:04pm] jokeefe: good for him
[9:04pm] jokeefe: id - James O'Keefe, Somerville
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Updates to the agenda?
[9:04pm] Bluestreak: Lucia Fiero
[9:04pm] igel_: http://i.imgur.com/ndiuSAE.png
[9:04pm] Bluestreak: I sent my agenda items to the activist list
[9:04pm] igel_: hows she look heh..
[9:04pm] jokeefe: should be in there, Bluestreak
[9:05pm] igel_: ripped upnp lua bhitov
[9:05pm] js0000: john saylor south waltham
[9:05pm] Bluestreak: Sure enough, there they are. Wow full plate tonight.
[9:06pm] Bluestreak: ID igel
[9:07pm] igel_: William Fleurant, Arlington MASS
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ok, we have the meeting on Sunday, 9/1, 2pm
[9:07pm] jokeefe: can most folks make it?
[9:07pm] igel_: aye. no.
[9:08pm] js0000: cannot
[9:08pm] Kendra joined the chat room.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: hi Kendra
[9:08pm] Kendra: Hi Everyone
[9:08pm] Bluestreak: Hey! Can you come out to REDACTED Sunday, Kendra?
[9:08pm] • js0000 waves
[9:08pm] jokeefe: GarretK? or are you indisposed?
[9:09pm] igel_: bhitov:
[9:09pm] igel_: davidd: hey u waved at us at @shidash TK
[9:10pm] jokeefe: the crypto party went well.  had to move it, but it worked out.  Next one is 9/28 at the South End Tech Center in Boston
[9:10pm] Bluestreak: What a drag. One of my best friends is finally able to make it to and IPM and we will have 3 ppl there
[9:10pm] Kendra: unfortunately, I won't be able to make it.  I am back out of town until next week dealing with family stuff.  Sorry to miss it.
[9:11pm] srevilak joined the chat room.
[9:11pm] igel_: re
[9:11pm] jokeefe: do you want to try jitsi?
[9:11pm] Bluestreak: Ahoy!
[9:11pm] jokeefe: quartermaster on deck
[9:11pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington
[9:11pm] srevilak: Almost between jobs and updating resume
[9:11pm] js0000: tried to make crypto party, but couldn't cut the schedule since i didn't know about the move until i read the note on the door
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: when you say "do you want to try jitsi?" Who is "you"?
[9:12pm] igel_: damn.
[9:12pm] GarretK: hi! sorry
[9:12pm] GarretK: i am on a conf call about the Syria rally
[9:12pm] GarretK:
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: Will you ID for us G?
[9:12pm] igel_: near killed'm. bro i want to throw jokeefe a demo of the PM router
[9:12pm] srevilak: js0000: NP.  we didn't know about the move until we put the note on the door.  My bad.  Won't happen again
[9:13pm] GarretK: ID?
[9:13pm] Kendra: I didn't id either, Kendra Moyer, Arlington
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: We say our names and towns
[9:13pm] GarretK: Farret Kirkland, Winchester
[9:13pm] GarretK: Garret
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: LOL
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Kendra and anyone else who cannot be at the meeting, Bluestreak
[9:13pm] GarretK: whatevs
[9:14pm] Bluestreak: I specifically invited Gregg and Blue
[9:14pm] Bluestreak: But Blue was non -cmmital
[9:14pm] jokeefe: I asked them as well.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Next big event is Freedom Rally, Sept. 14-15. 
[9:14pm] bhitov left the chat room.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Who can help table?
[9:15pm] Bluestreak: Yes please. Big job for 3 people
[9:15pm] Bluestreak: (2 on Sat)
[9:15pm] Bluestreak: There was a BIG turn out last year
[9:15pm] Bluestreak: Of Pirates that is.
[9:16pm] Bluestreak: Lots of traffic.
[9:16pm] GarretK: I can help with that table
[9:16pm] Bluestreak: Yay!
[9:16pm] Bluestreak: Sat or Sun?
[9:16pm] js0000: sry, can't do it. have my son and ex-wife would have a picnic with this
[9:16pm] jokeefe: thanks, GarretK.
[9:16pm] GarretK: Both
[9:16pm] jokeefe: I will be there Sun at least
[9:16pm] Bluestreak: REALLY?
[9:17pm] igel_: jokeefe: yeah im down with that -- i can trade you a meshnet hotspot...
[9:17pm] Bluestreak: Awesome, G
[9:17pm] GarretK: Ya, I can help. I'll be there all days
[9:17pm] jokeefe: thanks!
[9:17pm] srevilak: I can help out for at least one day
[9:17pm] Bluestreak: So glad to hear that.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: will keep asking folks to volunteer.  have two weeks.
[9:17pm] Bluestreak: Yay Steve. THANKS!
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Not much about the Constitution Day Speakout, September 17, yet
[9:18pm] Bluestreak: Please fill out the form so that we can fugure out coverage link in a sec
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Boston Software Freedom Day, Sat., Sept. 21st,
[9:18pm] jokeefe: will need people to table at it
[9:18pm] jokeefe: I mentioned the Cryptoparty on the 8/28.
[9:18pm] jokeefe: 9/28
[9:18pm] Bluestreak: http://masspirates.org/blog/2013/08/23/sign-up-to-spread-the-mpp-message-at-freedom-rally-914-915-2/ pleas fill out form
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Then Digital Media Conference, Cambridge, Oct. 25-27
[9:19pm] js0000: can help with software freedom day
[9:19pm] Bluestreak: We can too
[9:19pm] jokeefe: thank you. 
[9:19pm] srevilak: I'll organize cryptoparty for DMC
[9:20pm] Bluestreak: Great
[9:20pm] Bluestreak: Topic?
[9:20pm] js0000: what about mesh ...
[9:20pm] js0000: not ready yet ... ?
[9:20pm] jokeefe: thanks.  Also for the DigMedCon - thinking we could do What would it take for _you_ to dump your NSA-compliant service provider? as separate from the cryptoparty
[9:20pm] Bluestreak: Yay mesh!
[9:20pm] Bluestreak: Boo telecoms
[9:21pm] Bluestreak: YES!
[9:21pm] Bluestreak: so ful of win jokeefe
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Asked Kit about doing a talk on Fair Use for creators.
[9:21pm] jokeefe: So I will put in for the Cryptoparty and What would it take for _you_ to dump your NSA-compliant service provider?
[9:21pm] Bluestreak: I am going to the Berkamn Center open house
[9:22pm] Bluestreak: anyone care to join me, just let me know...
[9:22pm] Bluestreak: 9/9
[9:22pm] Bluestreak: 2nd
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Thats all I have for events
[9:24pm] js0000: that's a lot!
[9:24pm] Bluestreak: It is
[9:25pm] Bluestreak: We're cranking!
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Next general meeting should be 10/6, 10/13 or 10/20
[9:25pm] Bluestreak: I will Doodle that
[9:25pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:26pm] jokeefe: srevilak has the videos.  I will get copies & srevilak or I can get you copies Bluestreak to have and give to Joe.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: 3. Endorsements - the letter looked good.  did it go out?
[9:27pm] Bluestreak: Um, Saturday?
[9:27pm] Bluestreak: Still answering your last point
[9:27pm] Bluestreak: Moving on
[9:28pm] jokeefe: sorry
[9:28pm] Bluestreak: I'm sorry I didn't send Nick his yet
[9:28pm] Bluestreak: I was waiting for him to get back to me with his email address
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Syria Rally?
[9:28pm] js0000: what happened with endorsements this afternoon on pirate-activists list?
[9:28pm] GarretK: SYRIA
[9:28pm] GarretK: got my attention
[9:28pm] GarretK:
[9:28pm] Bluestreak: I will get the email to Nick to night. Now SYRIA
[9:28pm] jokeefe: thanks Bluestreak
[9:29pm] jokeefe: k, folks want a position on Syria?
[9:29pm] Bluestreak: LOL
[9:29pm] GarretK: HUGE rally on Saturday for opposition against attacking Syria
[9:29pm] jokeefe: aye!
[9:29pm] Kendra: 2nd
[9:29pm] jokeefe: good work, dude
[9:29pm] Bluestreak: 2nd that
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: Saturday is my kid's 13th birthday...
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: and his month has been full of suck...
[9:30pm] igel_: position is save the people.
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: So we will be skipping the rally
[9:30pm] igel_: http://i.imgur.com/L6JSSlm.jpg
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: But totally support yall
[9:31pm] GarretK: basic schedule is up for a 10 AM start for folks to get together, make signs, reach out to people. then there is a "Speaker's Corner" about Syria from 1 - 2ish and then we marchin to Fanueil hall
[9:31pm] Bluestreak: Cool igel_
[9:31pm] js0000: Bluestreak- he only turns 13 once
[9:31pm] GarretK: can I put Mas Pirate support on our event page?
[9:31pm] Bluestreak: I will post your event on the MPP page, G
[9:32pm] igel_: srevilak:  did u see the jpg i posted
[9:32pm] jokeefe: All in favor of opposing attacking Syria?
[9:32pm] Bluestreak: And I have no problem putting MPP stamp on an anti war protest
[9:32pm] Bluestreak: aye
[9:32pm] GarretK: aye
[9:32pm] js0000: i guess 'people first' [war last] is pirate connection
[9:32pm] Kendra: aye
[9:32pm] igel_: ^-- agreeed --^
[9:32pm] GarretK: it's all lies. transparency!
[9:32pm] js0000: 2nd
[9:32pm] Bluestreak: lies and propaganda goes against govt tansparency
[9:33pm] Bluestreak: GMTA!
[9:33pm] js0000: true- another connection
[9:33pm] jokeefe: srevilak?
[9:34pm] srevilak: in favor of opposing attack on syria
[9:34pm] Bluestreak: lol aye
[9:34pm] Bluestreak: f*ck yeah
[9:34pm] igel_: for real. you dont save people with bombs.
[9:34pm] igel_: fking a.
[9:34pm] jokeefe: no to bombing, yes to freedom?
[9:35pm] igel_: bomb food or bikes.
[9:35pm] js0000: the only ones who want this action are arms manufactures and fascists ...
[9:35pm] Bluestreak: I got Piers Morgan on in the background selling this intervention like a carnie huckster
[9:35pm] js0000: omfg- the media has been unbearable on this
[9:35pm] js0000: it's just like iraq all over again
[9:35pm] Bluestreak: Selling it like a whore when the fleet comes in.
[9:35pm] js0000: no one learned anything!
[9:36pm] Bluestreak: House of Commons did
[9:36pm] Bluestreak: Yay, back benchers!
[9:36pm] js0000: cheerio!
[9:36pm] jokeefe: any opposed?
[9:37pm] igel_: i am, in some cases
[9:37pm] srevilak: js0000: yes, are last use of armed force in response to WMDs did not end well
[9:37pm] igel_: i think we all would be, if there were people sufferiing
[9:37pm] GarretK: Ya, Brits back down, Obama says we go solo with "limited" strikes....
[9:37pm] GarretK: ARGH
[9:37pm] js0000: idiot!
[9:37pm] igel_: like, as in.. the future
[9:37pm] jokeefe: opposed to to the statement?
[9:38pm] igel_: i dont know whats going to happen in the next 24/h there
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Charlie Stross has a good view on it - http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/08/on-syria.html
[9:38pm] Bluestreak: No personal attacks pls
[9:38pm] igel_: what
[9:39pm] jokeefe: so to be clear, lgel_, you for a statement against bombing Syria?
[9:39pm] igel_: if they start to invade hawaii
[9:39pm] jokeefe: then we bomb them?
[9:39pm] igel_: the army attacking hawaii
[9:39pm] igel_: not the citizens.
[9:40pm] igel_: of syria.
[9:40pm] igel_: judge dread drone strikes
[9:40pm] igel_: not in favor of any sort of attacks there at this momement heh. aye.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:41pm] jokeefe: motion passes.  GarretK, you can add our name to the list opposing attacked Syria
[9:41pm] jokeefe: attacking that is
[9:41pm] GarretK: woot woot!
[9:41pm] GarretK: that'll be updated tonight
[9:41pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:41pm] igel_: sorry i tripped up -- yeah do it
[9:41pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:41pm] GarretK: I lub you all
[9:41pm] GarretK:
[9:42pm] js0000: we're all so lovable- esp Bluestreak ...
[9:42pm] jokeefe: we love you too
[9:42pm] igel_: Bluestreak and js0000  did the other hting on the agenda right
[9:42pm] Bluestreak: Lol John!
[9:42pm] Bluestreak: *blushes*
[9:43pm] js0000: so much love on pirate-activists today ...
[9:43pm] Bluestreak: I lub you lubbers!
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Jason got a map of 27 districts in mass.  need to extract cities/towns state rep. districts etc.
[9:43pm] Bluestreak: Before WWIII starts I just want you all to know
[9:43pm] jokeefe: may have someone who knows google earth well enough
[9:43pm] Bluestreak: I love you all
[9:43pm] igel_: sorry i didn't know what direction to take.. i have no prof expr with any citi/town state rep stuff.. but if u need it scripted etc..
[9:43pm] Bluestreak: Ooh
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Gregg working on Research DB & Community Site
[9:43pm] jokeefe: have 4 College Coordinators
[9:44pm] Bluestreak: But is he coming on the 1st?
[9:44pm] js0000: been working on voter reg rails app
[9:44pm] js0000: but running into gem dependency problems
[9:44pm] jokeefe: o k ?
[9:44pm] Bluestreak: ?
[9:44pm] igel_: eek.
[9:44pm] Bluestreak: gem dependency?
[9:44pm] js0000: v8 gem keeps failing
[9:45pm] igel_: try same code on diff arch/flav.. heh
[9:45pm] jokeefe: gem is the installer for the rail language
[9:45pm] Bluestreak: Sigh.
[9:45pm] js0000: c++ compiling of some sub part of this gem
[9:45pm] Bluestreak: Gotta get back to Code Academy
[9:45pm] jokeefe: rails not rail
[9:45pm] js0000: thought i would give a report on my progress
[9:45pm] srevilak: js0000: on debian wheeze, I ran into a dependency problem, but only because I didn't have postgres installed
[9:46pm] js0000: srevilak: got past that one and onto the next one
[9:46pm] igel_: sqwheezy
[9:46pm] jokeefe: js0000 is this on your box or the party's server
[9:46pm] js0000: on my box
[9:46pm] srevilak: js0000: I stopped at postgres issue.  Let's chat offline
[9:46pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:46pm] js0000: will follow up with srevilak offline
[9:47pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:47pm] jokeefe: srevilak, you on your box or party box?
[9:47pm] igel_: party box eh
[9:48pm] jokeefe: woo hoo!
[9:48pm] js0000: yeah- fixing ruby c++ dependency issues is a complete party
[9:48pm] srevilak: jokeefe: my wheezy machine.  On mayfirst, we'd also be using wheezy
[9:48pm] jokeefe: good to know
[9:48pm] igel_: hey hackrrs
[9:48pm] igel_: http://i.imgur.com/ndiuSAE.png
[9:49pm] igel_: do you want to contrib next 1 week y/n
[9:49pm] jokeefe: That is what i have.  Any other issues?
[9:49pm] igel_: there may also be custom pirate code to develop
[9:49pm] igel_: http://i.imgur.com/L6JSSlm.jpg llama routers available
[9:49pm] igel_: im bout to dipset .. where we @ with agenda?? i might have to go.
[9:50pm] jokeefe: I think we are done
[9:50pm] js0000: igel_: does this run on ddwrt?
[9:50pm] js0000: also congrats to all on finishing before an hour!!!
[9:51pm] igel_: yea
[9:51pm] jokeefe: motion to adjourn?
[9:51pm] igel_: but the open one
[9:51pm] js0000: 2nd
[9:51pm] srevilak: 3rd
[9:51pm] js0000: igel_: send email js0000@nsa.com- er @gmail.com
[9:51pm] igel_: i have cjdpirates firmware in mind, my code is on gitboria.com
[9:51pm] GarretK: 20th
[9:51pm] igel_: cool im at igel@31337.net
[9:52pm] Kendra: night everybody
[9:52pm] Bluestreak: G'night
[9:52pm] Kendra left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)
[9:52pm] js0000 left the chat room. (l8r ...)
[9:52pm] jokeefe: motion passes, I guess