August 29th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


8/26 Pirate Picnic

  • What went well?
  • What didn't?
  • What do we need to make it better?
  • Next one?



Freedom Rally Planning

Planning doc:


Planning for 2018 Elections

Other To Dos

S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017

Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

  • 8/26, noon-3:30pm, Pirate Picnic/Surveillance Camera Mapping Outing, Boston Common, Boston
  • 8/30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 9/15-17, Freedom Rally, Sign Up Form
  • 9/19, International Talk Like a Pirate Day
  • 9/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • Fundraiser
  • 10/4, Wikileaks' 10th Birthday Party
  • 10/25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 11/4, 11am-2pm, South Boston Cryptoparty, South Boston BPL Branch, 646 East Broadway
  • 11/8, City Election Day
  • 11/11-12, Boston Anarchist Bookfair, Boston University George Sherman Union
  • 11/29, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 12/17, Chelsea Manning's Birthday
  • 12/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville

See: 2017 calendar


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell MA
  • Malt/Malt_: Sam Capradae, Worcester MA
  • admech: Matt Fealy, Boston


  • davidd
  • igel
  • hvxgr
  • Fatbag/Fatbag_
  • papegaai


8/19 Rallies

45,000+ attended. Festive environment. Handing out cookies and flyers went well. More in the minutes.

8/19 Pirate Picnic

Went through the Planning Pad and updated it. Will ask attendees to also sign up for things. Possible idea of either selling brownies or taking up a collection.

Freedom Rally

Updated the Planning Pad. Will email list asking more people to sign up for things.


Joe suggested a number of ideas:

Malt will pull together some possible future events and send it to the list.



[20:48] == Joe [webchat@82.136.vp.hyn] has joined #masspirates
[20:56] == Malt [webchat@82.136.vp.hyn] has joined #masspirates
[20:57] <Malt> evening!
[20:57] <Joe> Ahoy my friend
[21:00] <Joe> Shall we wait?
[21:00] <Malt> Sure
[21:04] <Joe> I just received word from our Capt'n. He will not be able to make it.
[21:04] <Malt> phooey!
[21:04] <Joe> Let me pull up the meeting notes.
[21:07] <Joe>,_2017_IRC_Meeting
[21:07] <papegaai> Title: August 29th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at
[21:07] <Malt> I didn't feel like putting them up on the agenda but I mailed out a list of possible events that we could consider
[21:07] <Joe> Ok
[21:08] <Joe> Lets do the review first, if that's ok
[21:08] <Joe> 8/26 Pirate Picnic
[21:08] <Joe> What went well
[21:09] <Joe> The cookies and flyers.
[21:09] <Joe> I think
[21:09] <Malt> yeah
[21:09] <Malt> I was a little surprised at how far my group had to trek to get to the location
[21:09] <Joe> We got a lot of attention but not as much as I was hoping for.
[21:10] <Malt> i had assumed we would have been closer, and i feel foolish not figuring out vespucci ahead of time
[21:11] <Joe> I love the fact that we had food for us, but unfortunately I don't feel the cost to interest ratio was quite where we wanted it.  I think the cookies would have been enough.
[21:11] <Malt> sandwiches are a task-intensive meal
[21:11] <Malt> relative to salads and pie
[21:11] <Malt> and cookies, yes
[21:11] <Joe> We need something to catch people attention as well. Things that would get them interested in what we are doing.
[21:12] <Joe> I think we should get someone(not me) dressed up in cosplay or the like.  Something fun and interesting.
[21:13] <Malt> flags are always fun
[21:13] <Joe> If we do another picnic, perhaps something that was pre-made that we can sell for money for the party it
[21:13] <Joe> itself
[21:13] <Joe> true, flags are fun.
[21:14] <Joe> We also had a troll sit and argue with us for quite awhile, which I think took away from the event.
[21:14] <Malt> the russian woman? what was up with that?
[21:15] <Malt> oh also, selling something on the common might run afoul of park rules
[21:15] <Joe> She was one of the organizers for the free speech thing.  
[21:16] <Joe> We would have to get the proper permission.
[21:16] <Malt> ah okay
[21:16] <Malt> so, garrett sent one of his friends to fuck with us
[21:16] <Malt> grand
[21:17] <Joe> Well, that is a good sign actually, that means we are getting noticed at least
[21:17] <Joe> The more we clash against the other side and keep a clear and cool head, the better we will be
[21:17] <Malt> i think he's just bitter we kicked him out
[21:18] <Joe> Maybe, but I'm ok with it if we get proper attention, but from what I saw I did not get the impression.
[21:18] <Joe> Another thing we can do is have a fund raising dinner.
[21:19] <Joe> Holding an event in the park to sell tickets for the dinner may actually work out really nice.
[21:19] <Malt> yeah
[21:19] <Malt> good point
[21:19] <Malt> it's smart to have events leading into other events
[21:20] <Joe> As far as the picnic, I would have to say we should probably focus on smaller areas as well, so we don't get too spread out.
[21:21] <Joe> You agree or disagree with that?
[21:21] <Malt> agreed!
[21:22] == admech [webchat@82.136.vp.hyn] has joined #masspirates
[21:22] <Joe> I am going to request that we put the next picnic to a vote at the next meeting for new dates in time.
[21:23] <Joe> Ahoy admech!
[21:23] <Malt> welcome Admech
[21:23] <Malt> yeah
[21:23] <admech> Ahoy all. Sorry I'm late.
[21:23] <Malt> no worries
[21:23] <Joe> lolz, forgot to do ids
[21:23] <Joe> no worries
[21:24] <Joe> Joe, Lowell
[21:24] <admech> Matt Fealy, Boston
[21:25] <Joe> Anything to add Admech before we continue?
[21:25] <admech> No.
[21:25] <Malt> Sam, Worcester
[21:26] <Joe> ok, so we just finished the review of the picnic with a request for a vote next week. Any thoughts you would like to add?
[21:27] <Joe> The vote being on the next picnic's date/time
[21:27] <admech> I'm going to trust you've covered it, and I'll email out anything after I read the notes
[21:28] <Joe> ok, thank you!
[21:28] <admech> For next year, or another mapping event soon?
[21:29] <Joe> or picnic to just spread the word.
[21:30] <Joe> There are no decisions/endorsements so lets move right to Projects
[21:30] <Joe>
[21:31] <Malt> i got the map!
[21:31] <Malt> er
[21:31] <Malt> tent
[21:31] <Malt> it's a little dusty but it seems in good repair
[21:31] <Joe> Very nice
[21:32] <Malt> msg Joe there's a hookah bar and tea shop art house for sale in Worcester, ever heard of Spiritual Haze?
[21:32] <Joe> I have spoken with Tom about the generator. It seems that gas powered are not allowed. Only Diesel, electric(batteries) or propane are permitted.
[21:32] <Malt> pfft whoops
[21:32] <Joe> lol
[21:33] <Joe> you can email/text/phone me any time Malt <3
[21:33] <Malt> so, for freedom rally, did we want to focus on educating people about the changes to the legalization?
[21:34] <Joe> I am sure there will be plenty on that front
[21:34] <Joe> I think we should continue to focus on the issues we fight for and our differentials.
[21:34] <admech> Yeah, and there's a nice tie-in to our general electoral/reform goals, given that FOUR LEGISLATORS altered the results of a statewide ballot question.
[21:35] <Malt> i mean, how beacon hill just neutered the proposition that was passed
[21:35] <Joe> Why us over a lib or a dem, etc.
[21:35] <Malt> yeah, we should figure out if there are any recall efforts we could boost
[21:35] <Malt> or petitions to overturn
[21:36] <admech> It's also a good springboard into: 1. why representation matters 2. how to follow bills 3. what we stand for
[21:36] <Malt> weeee could have scripts for a phone bank
[21:36] <Malt> OH
[21:37] <Malt> if we figured out generators, we could have a bunch of phone chargers
[21:37] <Joe> Well, this would be a really good time to promote any and all events we are doing as well as get some fund raising activities going. I recommend having a few fund raisers planned before the rally so that we can get more momentum.
[21:37] <Malt> let people call or email in support of legalization while charging
[21:37] <admech> Joe: what do we plan to spend money on in the next year?
[21:38] <Joe> Even though we will be there to support the legalization, that is not the only issues we fight for and I would be hesitate to focus only on that. We should use it to engage people but honestly I would let the conversation go where it does.
[21:39] <Malt> having an action people can take goes a huuuuge way towards building group identity
[21:39] <Joe> The actual plan for money to be spent is for campaigns and more events.
[21:39] <admech> Malt: I like it, but might be complicated without a generator. At the very least: help people find their legislators, maybe introduce MyLegislator, have a list of related votes.
[21:40] <admech> *MyLegislature. If you haven't seen it,
[21:40] <Joe> There is a limit to how much any one person can raise so we have to be consistent for future goals we have yet to come up with.
[21:41] <Joe> Let me worry about the generator, I already have a few picked out
[21:42] <admech> Awesome. Thanks.
[21:42] <Joe> Besides, I already run a forge with propane anyways so the generator will be of that type.
[21:42] <Joe> A full take = 9 hours of run time.
[21:43] <Joe> take - tank
[21:44] <Joe> For the Rally, are there specific messages we would want to put through?
[21:44] <Malt> i think we should find specific legislation about legalization we can back
[21:44] <Malt> and get folks to call, text, or e-mail about that
[21:45] <Malt> i think having a few charging ports would get us a looooot of foot traffic
[21:45] <admech> As above: democracy is broken in this state, here's how you follow bills, here's your legislators and how to contact them, it matters!, here's our roadmap to making things better
[21:45] <Malt> ^^agreed
[21:46] <Joe> May one of you look in to this? I have the fund raising and bill on my plate atm.
[21:46] <admech> I'll look into upcoming bills. I assume other orgs (MassCann? NORML?) have covered details of current law better.
[21:46] <Malt> i was thinking the same
[21:46] <Joe> Thank you
[21:47] <admech>  I'll also put together a quick intro to the tools I mentioned.
[21:47] <Joe> The last item is Planning for 2018. Are any of us running this year?
[21:47] <Malt> not i
[21:48] <Joe> Any talking points we have will be good points for the rally.
[21:48] <admech> Not me, and definitely not in Boston.
[21:48] <Malt> yeah, tbh, the specific legislation doesn't matter as much as having something people can do to join the group
[21:48] <Joe> As well as future events and activities.
[21:48] <admech> Agreed. Let's try to turn conversations into list signups if at all possible.
[21:49] <Joe> I also plan to bring lanyards to hand out if I can. We could get our main party page printed on them.
[21:50] <admech> Especially, I'm not sure how much I can be there, so please, please point Boston residents to my contact info and/or @boston_pirates. I need help.
[21:50] <Joe> I would like to help with a campaign this year if possible so I can be even more ready for my own in 2019
[21:50] <Malt> masscann has lobby materials available on website
[21:50] <papegaai> Title: Lobby Day Materials | MassCann/NORML (at
[21:51] <Joe> I know I will be staffing the table that first day and a good chunk at the end of the event.
[21:51] <Malt> joe- we could reach out to Run For Something to find people to support
[21:51] <admech> Honestly, my impression is that we need *members* before we need candidates.
[21:52] <Joe> Ok, that would be amazing.  Maybe I can troll a republican or something ^.^
[21:52] <Malt> not quite like that
[21:52] <Malt> yeah, let's focus on capacity building
[21:52] <admech> But I've been working on a non-Pirate campaign, partly, to build skills.
[21:52] <Malt> we ought to reach out to the groups we met at saturday's rally to invite them to the crypto party
[21:52] <Joe> it's the chicken or the egg really
[21:54] <Joe> Still need to do that bill. Sorry I have been slacking on it.
[21:54] <admech> A reprise of the E5 infosec for the left/organizers event, especially out towards you folks, might be useful.
[21:54] <Joe> May you please send the info for that to the activist list?
[21:55] <admech> Also, we have 5 minutes. Anything to cover quickly?
[21:55] <Malt> in response to the worcester group, i haven't made any progress setting anything up
[21:55] <Joe> I think we made it through all the of material. Shall we adjourn?
[21:55] <Malt> but i think i want to focus on an issue in employment law, employees hired as contractors
[21:56] <Malt> 1099 versus w2 contracts, massachusetts has really strong worker protections that aren't enforced
[21:56] <Joe> Esp with phone apps
[21:56] <Malt> yyyyyyyyyyep
[21:56] <Malt> it's huge
[21:56] <Joe> Such as Uber and Task Rabbit
[21:57] <Joe> We could get union support if we start taking on those issues too.
[21:57] <Malt> the IRS has a form employees can fill out to request them to re-evaluiate their employment clasification
[21:57] <Malt> if we could convince a decent percentage of workers to file, it would cause haaaaaaavok
[21:57] <Malt> it's bitten my ass personally so this is what i've been working on the past few days
[21:57] <admech> one way or another...
[21:58] <Joe> Adjourn?
[21:58] <Malt> seconded
[21:58] <admech> Agreed.
[21:58] <Joe> All in favor?
[21:58] <Joe> Aye
[21:58] <admech> Aye
[21:59] <Malt> night!
[21:59] <Joe> Thank you guys!
[21:59] <admech> Goodnight all.
[21:59] <Joe> I'll email a copy to Jamie so we can get the night recorded.