August 29th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search




Freedom Rally

  • Table status?
  • MeshNet site plan - in progress
  • Other things to do: Day Against DRM, Survey, Map CCTV cameras

Day Against DRM

  • Working with FSF to set up a planning call next week

Party Conference

Set for 9/29

  • Site walk through
  • Setup pirate pad
  • Setup Registration (jokeefe)
  • Setup page (jokeefe)
  • Write announcement blog post (jokeefe)
  • Email volunteers - Announcement written. Sending email this week
  • Write weekly blog post reminders (jokeefe)

Video Newsletter


  • Donate Your Vote campaign (jokeefe)
  • S.2823 - A bill to modernize copyright law, and for other purposes - posted. jokeefe will create petition
  • Free Reality Winner - Approved. jokeefe will write a statement
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)
  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for. Bill did not get out of committee (jokeefe)

Computer Donations

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • install a Matrix server (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Upcoming Events


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell


  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr, Tom Rodman / Milwaukee




[9:06pm] jokeefe: Agenda:,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:07pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:07pm] hvxgr: ahoy, Tom Rodman  / Milwaukee, observing
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:09pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:09pm] hvxgr: no
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: Nay
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Freedom Rally
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe have you heard from MassCANN about the table?
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: No, I can try again tomorrow
[9:11pm] jokeefe: please do. thanks
[9:13pm] jokeefe: I wasn’t able to attend the mesh net meeting, but will check on how the network planning is going
[9:14pm] Pirate_Joe: I saw that Steve contributed $25 dollars. Also, I need to get the money in the account for the Conference.
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: That's too bad, I am sure that you were missed.
[9:15pm] jokeefe: I believe it is transferred every two weeks, but Steve would be the better person to ask
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Will check on the cost of flyers tomorrow.
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: The US is doing something similar as the EU which means that mesh nets are even more important.
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: I will try and reach him tomorrow as well.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Thanks
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Agreed
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: It seems no one is talking at the national meeting. Did it get canceled?
[9:18pm] jokeefe: I haven’t seen any emails since it was moved to 9/22
[9:18pm] jokeefe: I don’t see Liz on the list
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, she was sick last week. I hope she is alright
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Day Against DRM - Was distracted by other tasks. Will follow up with them by tomorrow
[9:19pm] jokeefe: That sounds awful. Hope she is ok.
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: These things happen, but I hope so too
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: No Malt tonight?
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Party Conference - Mentioned it in the last email. Fixed one of the links. Will email volunteers with what Malt put together tomorrow
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: Very nice.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Getting ready for his trip, would be my guess
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: I don't remember him mentioning a trip, but I hope he has fun
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Have at least one person has volunteered to do calls. think it makes sense to call volunteers this weekend/early next week
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: There was a few more people added to the support list too
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: That's great!
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Yes.  Start calling supporters next weekend?
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Yes.
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - When is good to do another recording this weekend?
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Tuesday night works for me. It just has to happen after 9 pm
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Is 10pm too late?
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: After this weekend, my schedule will open up much more since the moving industry will slow down a bit.  I have enough staff to cover most of those tasks and will be focused again on my gaming store. (Lots of videos and video editing time!)
[9:32pm] jokeefe: cool. 10pm it is then ...
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: Sorry, short answer is yes.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: lol
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Sounds good. I will schedule it. What do you want to talk about?
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: EU and US censorship
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: I'll text you a bullet point the day of with the main points we need to discuss. Sooner if I can get to it.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: sooner is good
[9:35pm] jokeefe: sounds good
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: We can do a second video on current events coming up if the first one takes too long(>10minutes)
[9:35pm] jokeefe: I have nothing else. Shall we adjourn?
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, my office is super warm atm.
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: I second the motion.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: stay cool
[9:36pm] jokeefe: have a great week
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: You too my friend. Don
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: Don't hesitate to reach me directly if you need something done.
[9:36pm] hvxgr: Good night.
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: Gn hvxgr
[9:37pm] jokeefe: good night to you both