August 5th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search




Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform



  • Push to vote on EARN IT Act without debate
    • Will put up a petition to contact Senators asking them to help Wyden put a hold on it
    • Can also attempt to flood them with calls, but everything goes to voice mail
    • Especially need to find local Markey campaign events and ask him there, but all of his events are phonebanks
  • PATRIOT Act renewal


  • Legislature extended session
  • Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
  • Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed

Regional Meetings/Events

Leader: jokeefe

  • Surveillance Mapping Event
    • Boston (jokeefe) - Sept 12th
    • Worcester (Malt) - Oct 17th
  • Party Conference - Fall
  • 2021 Boston Pride Festival
    • table booked
    • setup signup sheet
    • Announce
    • Need to purchase insurance
    • Need volunteer sign up form
    • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Computer donations

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Sent out email asking for date suggestions.

Other To Do

Tabled Projects

National Party

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
  • 8/?, 2pm-4pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line
  • 9/12, Boston Surveillance Mapping Outing
  • 10/17, Worcester Surveillance Mapping Outing
  • Party Conference - Fall


  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)


  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • mikey


MA legislature has extended their session beyond July 31st, to deal with bill reconciliation and COVID-related things.

Need to contact senators re: EARN IT act.

jokeefe and srevilak to test video recording on Saturday 5pm. Actual recording Sunday at 7pm.

There are a number of bills attempting to weaken or eliminate section 230

jokeefe working on survey for regional events party conference.

pirate tech meeting: Aug 29th, 11am.


21:07 <@jokeefe> Let’s start
21:07 <@jokeefe> Agenda:,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:07 <@jokeefe> ids
21:07 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:07 <@jokeefe> anything to add?
21:08 < srevilak> Nothing to add
21:08 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:09 <@jokeefe> Projects
21:09 <@jokeefe> Bills
21:09 <@jokeefe> There is a not have debate on the EARN IT Act
21:10 <@jokeefe> Wyden has agreed to put a hold on it, but still needs
       help from Warren/Markey
21:11 <@jokeefe> I emailed Warren, but haven’t heard back. Will follow
       up with a call and will leave a message.
21:11 < srevilak> Folks sure do love messing with Section 230
21:11 < srevilak> I had agreed to contact Marky
21:11 < srevilak> (places sticky note on monitor)
21:11 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:12 <@jokeefe> I will setup a petition. That will email
       them when anyone signs it.
21:13 < srevilak> Not terribly related, but is ms still contemplating
       purchase if TikTok?
21:13 <@jokeefe> Will send email to activists list to set a call in day.
21:14 < srevilak> I kind of wonder which country some of our tech
       companies would relocate to
21:14 < srevilak> If we got to the point of having a very diverse set
       of state regulations
21:15 <@jokeefe> yes
21:16 <@jokeefe> there aren’t too many options
21:16 < srevilak> Iceland?
21:16 <@jokeefe> heh
21:16 <@jokeefe> Europe isn’t favorable
21:17 <@jokeefe> nevermind China or Russia
21:17 < srevilak> I don't know, am probably less worried about china
       getting hold of my PII
21:17 < srevilak> vs NSA, the only government agency that listens
21:17 <@jokeefe> markey’s calendar doesn’t have any events and I
       didn’t see a calendar for Warren
21:17 <@jokeefe> lol
21:18 <@jokeefe> I have heard that said about China
21:18 <@jokeefe> “NSA: The only government agency that listens” is
       a good tag line
21:19 < srevilak> Saw that on a bumper sticker earlier today
21:21 <@jokeefe> At the state level, there was talk of extending the
       legislative session.
21:22 < srevilak> I have to find a better way to follow what malegislature
       is doing.
21:22 < srevilak> Am good at keeping up on local stuff; know how to
       follow federal when I need to
21:22 < srevilak> Our state process is still a bit of a mystery to me
21:23 < srevilak> Do we have something equivalent to the congressional
21:23 < srevilak> General court exempts themselves from open meeting laws,
       so I'm not expecting minutes
21:24 <@jokeefe> They don’t make it easy though you can sign up for
       some updates at
21:24 <@jokeefe> Haven’t seen a followup to
21:26 < srevilak> Perhaps this:
21:26 < srevilak>
21:26 <@jokeefe> thank you
21:26 < srevilak> says that both branches of malegislature agreed to
       extend formal sessions
21:27 <@jokeefe> good
21:28 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter/Podcast
21:28 <@jokeefe> Would you have time to test recording Saturday?
21:28 < srevilak> Sure, maybe 5 or 6 pm?
21:29 <@jokeefe> Sounds good.
21:29 < srevilak> lets say 5pm them
21:29 <@jokeefe> Fine
21:30 <@jokeefe> I’ll setup OBS and see if I can get that working. If
       not, then we can try the streaming function in jitsi
21:30 < srevilak> ok
21:31 <@jokeefe> Topic ideas?
21:31 < srevilak> Still doing the actual recording Sunday 7pm, yes?
21:31 <@jokeefe> Yes
21:32 < srevilak> Will have to think about topics
21:32 <@jokeefe> Sat, 5pm would be for testing
21:32 < srevilak> check
21:32 <@jokeefe> besides EARN IT, could cover this
21:32 <@jokeefe> 230
21:32 <@jokeefe> section 230 could be the topic
21:33 <@jokeefe> also
21:33 < srevilak> I see, algorithmic advertising or section 230.
21:33 < srevilak> Choose only one of the above
21:34 <@jokeefe> 230
21:36 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings/Events
21:36 <@jokeefe> Still working on the survey
21:39 <@jokeefe> Plan to have it ready by Friday
21:41 <@jokeefe> Computer donations - thanks for getting the equipment,
21:41 <@jokeefe> Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)
21:41 <@jokeefe> Are there any days that work better for you?
21:42 < srevilak> Could do Aug 15 or Aug 29th
21:43 <@jokeefe> 29th sounds good
21:43 <@jokeefe> what time?
21:43 < srevilak> 11am?
21:43 <@jokeefe> sure
21:44 <@jokeefe> I have no more updates
21:45 < srevilak> Nothing else here
21:45 < srevilak> motion to adjourn?
21:45 <@jokeefe> 2nd
21:45 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:45 <@jokeefe> thank you
21:45 < srevilak> have a great rest of the week
21:45 <@jokeefe> you too!