August 7th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Tasks

  1. Invitation to appear on TOUCHFM this tuesday morning
  2. Software Freedom Day Cryptoparty?
  3. Update on candidate status, campaign strategies
    1. Joe's finances setup?
  4. Freedom Rally
    1. Post
    2. FB Event
    3. People to table
    4. Materials?
  5. Next IPM/Social?
  6. International Day Against DRM (May 6th 2015)?
  7. PirateCon 2015

Events

  1. Aug. 10, noon+, Pirate Picnic, catch the noon ferry. Georges Island (Ferry Information) Logistics.
  2. Sep. 13-14 noon-8pm Freedom Rally
  3. Sep. 17, 6:30-9pm, Key Signing Party, MIT Building E-51, Room 325, Wadsworth Street, Cambridge
  4. Sep. 20, 9a-5p. Software Freedom Day. Industry Lab 288 Norfolk Street, Cambridge, MA. We're doing a cryptoparty from 10:30 - noon.
  5. Sep 13--14. Freedom Rally. Boston Common. Logistics
  6. May 6, 2015. International Day against DRM.

Participants

  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • jpokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville, MA)
  • Bluelustreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • Kendra


Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal

Summary

  • TouchFM appearance. We'd like to appear, have to work out logistics.
  • Freedom rally. All hands on Deck. Will need as people to staff our table for both days of the event.
  • International day against DRM. We're in favor of participating. It's May 6, 2015, and we have time to plan.

Minutes

 
21:02 < jokeefe> agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_7th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < jokeefe> ids
21:02 < jokeefe> James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:03 < Bluelustreak> Lucia Fiero
21:03 < Bluelustreak> (Jason is home but he still working!)
21:04 < jokeefe> 1. Invitation to appear on TOUCHFM this tuesday morning
21:05 < jokeefe> srevilak?
21:05 < Bluelustreak> Where is the studio? Or will it be a call in?
21:06 < jokeefe> http://touchfm.org/
21:06 < srevilak> Lolita asked for in-studio.  Don't know the address, but I can get it
21:07 < jokeefe> what time?
21:07 < Bluelustreak> Doesn't say on the website
21:07 < Bluelustreak> Lolita will be there, too?
21:07 < Bluelustreak> The time matters... Oh, am I invited?
21:08 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: it's her segment on Charles' show
21:08 < jokeefe> think we are deciding who is available
21:08 < Bluelustreak> hm
21:08 < srevilak> Sadly, I have a work conflict
21:08 < Bluelustreak> Well if I am not on the road...
21:08 < jokeefe> do they want one or two people?  also what is the topic?
21:09 < Bluelustreak> It is rather short notice.
21:09 < Bluelustreak> I think the PP really speaks to their followers
21:09 < Bluelustreak> what they need for their commnity is connectivity
21:09 < Bluelustreak> if the FCC is going to shut down their radio...
21:09 < Bluelustreak> then they need to focus on getting people on line to listen
21:10 < Bluelustreak> that costs money unless...
21:10 < srevilak> jokeefe: here's what lolita sent: https://lists.mayfirst.org/mailman/private/activists_masspirates.org/2014-August/002077.html
21:10 < Bluelustreak> they go municipal
21:10 < Bluelustreak> We were talking about this at SCATV
21:10 < srevilak> show is 9-10am, show up at 8:50
21:10 < Bluelustreak> Sigh
21:10 < srevilak> she asked for a "team", so probably means several people are okay
21:11 < Bluelustreak> If only I could call in!
21:11 < jokeefe> ahoy, Kendra!
21:11 < Kendra> Hi 
21:11 < Bluelustreak> Hey
21:11 < srevilak> If this tue is too short a notice, perhaps another tuesday might work?
21:11 < Bluelustreak> What does your day look like tuesday jokeefe?
21:11 < jokeefe> that would be preferable, srevilak
21:12 < Bluelustreak> The following tuesday I am completely free
21:12 < Bluelustreak> I could be IN STUDIO
21:12 < jokeefe> work, but might have some time, depending on when/where
21:12 < Bluelustreak> I think Jamie and I should both be on, with Steve if he can get the time off with some notice
21:13 < Bluelustreak> Can she wait a week?
21:13 < srevilak> will email Lolita, and ask about next Tuesday.  Will also CC you
21:13 < Bluelustreak> Or... can I call in?
21:13 < jokeefe> sounds good to me
21:13 < jokeefe> thank you
21:13 < Bluelustreak> Thank you so much.
21:13 < Bluelustreak> Kendra, lookie: http://sutralu.blogspot.com/2014/08/im-in-button-biznez.html
21:14 < davidd> nice article Bluelustreak
21:14 < Bluelustreak> LOL
21:14 < jokeefe> next 2. Software Freedom Day Cryptoparty?
21:14 < Bluelustreak> Pshaw
21:14 < jokeefe> I would think yes
21:15 < Bluelustreak> I should get a presentation knocked. If not Tor I could learn to present a encrypted chat
21:15 < Bluelustreak> Or TOR... I could do that again. I will be better prepered.
21:15 < jokeefe> cool
21:17 < Kendra> Or anything else.
21:17 < jokeefe> Kendra, srevilak, yes to do it?
21:17 < Bluelustreak> Will you be back in Boston by then, Kendra?
21:17 < srevilak> I say yes.  Would also be happy to present
21:17 < jokeefe> cool!
21:18 < Bluelustreak> I had a great time last year just sitting at the table listening to the speakers. Nice folks.
21:18 < srevilak> For 90 minutes, two 45-minute crypto workshops?
21:18 < srevilak> Or perhaps 3 30-minute?
21:19 < srevilak> (Though, 30 min is kind of short)
21:19 < Kendra> Is it a 10-5 or 6pm day
21:19 < jokeefe> yes it is
21:19 < jokeefe> where will it be?
21:19 < Bluelustreak> Industry Lab
21:19 < jokeefe> right
21:19 < srevilak> Kendra: we'd have 10:30 - noon
21:19 < Bluelustreak> Remember the night we scouted it for our fundraiser?
21:19 < Kendra> OK by me 
21:19 < Bluelustreak> Then got ice cream?
21:19 < Bluelustreak> 3 of us have been there 
21:20 < Bluelustreak> Maybe Steve too some other time
21:20 < jokeefe> I say do it and we can figure out the details.  should be hands on which requires more time.
21:20  * srevilak write to will now, saying we'll do it
21:20 < Bluelustreak> Thanks!
21:20 < jokeefe> thanks!
21:20 < jokeefe> 3. Update on candidate status, campaign strategies 
21:21 < Bluelustreak> I have a button maker!
21:21 < Bluelustreak> :-D
21:21 < Bluelustreak> Joe will be at FR
21:21 < Bluelustreak> for sure, he says
21:21 < jokeefe> Noe's site is up, working on fundraising, media outreach, door to door planning
21:21 < jokeefe> good
21:21 < Bluelustreak> Yes, um about that site...
21:21 < jokeefe> coming to pirate picnic?
21:22 < Bluelustreak> I will remind him... last time I asked he said yes
21:22 < Bluelustreak> Would help if you reached out, too
21:22 < jokeefe> good
21:22 < jokeefe> will do tomorrow
21:22 < Bluelustreak> So can you help us with our site?
21:22 < Bluelustreak> :-D
21:22 < jokeefe> sure, if you use the same site us Noe
21:22 < jokeefe> as Noe
21:22 < Bluelustreak> clone yes please
21:23 < Bluelustreak> I will and you can help?
21:23 < srevilak> jokeefe: what's the URL of Noe's site?
21:23 < jokeefe> lets setup a time to sign up and walk through it
21:23 < jokeefe> votenoelani.org
21:23 < Bluelustreak> Would you like to talk about it at the picnic?
21:24 < jokeefe> sure, but better if you can see it
21:24 < Bluelustreak> I'll print it! 
21:24 < Bluelustreak> Whatever
21:24 < jokeefe> and use it
21:24 < Bluelustreak> OK not at the picnic
21:24 < jokeefe> anything else to report on campaigns?
21:24 < Bluelustreak> We can conference after the picnic
21:25 < Bluelustreak> Still no EIN
21:25 < Bluelustreak> For Joe.
21:25 < Bluelustreak> Who got Noe her's?
21:25 < Bluelustreak> Noe's Joe? Noe?
21:26 < jokeefe> Her treasurer got hers
21:26 < Bluelustreak> OK I know to ask for hand holding
21:26 < Bluelustreak> I have a month between the PIcnic and FR...
21:27 < Bluelustreak> If Joe doesn't get his EIN next week, I will.
21:27 < jokeefe> preferably earlier in the month
21:27 < jokeefe> Just do it, it has waited long enough
21:27 < Bluelustreak> I am still stowing Stuff in the attic!
21:27 < jokeefe> good luck
21:27 < jokeefe> 4. Freedom Rally
21:27 < Bluelustreak> It should be easier next week with Jason gone.
21:28 < Bluelustreak> Less demands on my time
21:28 < jokeefe> Will get the post up this weekend
21:28 < Bluelustreak> Paid for
21:28 < Bluelustreak> No site determined yet but...
21:28 < Bluelustreak> I will ask Tom if you like
21:29 < Bluelustreak> Jason and I have two days blocked out but 2 ppl is not enough.
21:29 < Bluelustreak> This is an all hands event
21:29 < jokeefe> will say it is where we were and we can update it
21:29 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: we can wait to find our table location
21:29 < srevilak> I'll definitely be around all day sat
21:29 < Bluelustreak> Can you be there like last year, Steve?
21:29 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: what did I do last year?
21:30 < Bluelustreak> One sec
21:30 < jokeefe> not sure about my schedule Saturday, but Sunday is available
21:30 < srevilak> will try to make sunday as well
21:30 < srevilak> It's noon - 8pm?
21:30 < Kendra> Seems like people kind of showed up last minute, you might want to ask people individually
21:31 < Bluelustreak> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201430410274486&set=a.10201447164133322&type=3&theater
21:31 < Bluelustreak> Steve kicked ass and took names
21:31 < jokeefe> Bluelustreak, would you be able to put up an FB event for us?
21:31 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: sure, I can do that
21:31 < Bluelustreak> Sure thing. When I email Tom tonight
21:32 < jokeefe> thanks!
21:32 < jokeefe> Sunday, lets discuss what materials we need to bring
21:32 < jokeefe> Good place to give out stickers
21:32 < Bluelustreak> Sunday?
21:32 < Bluelustreak> Doh!
21:33 < jokeefe> yes, picnic
21:33 < Bluelustreak> All I gots in buttunz
21:33 < Bluelustreak> is
21:33 < Bluelustreak> flyerz
21:33 < jokeefe> Freedom rally is a good place to give out stickers
21:33 < Bluelustreak> I will get on the stickers, too, OK?
21:33 < Bluelustreak> Won't have them for sunday, sorry.
21:33 < Bluelustreak> More notice would have helped.
21:34 < srevilak> https://piratenpad.de/p/mapp-fr-2014
21:34 < jokeefe> We don't need them for Sunday, just Freedom Rally
21:34 < jokeefe> thanks!
21:34 < Bluelustreak> OK NP will have them for FR NP
21:34 < Bluelustreak> Sunday needs: Charcoal?
21:34 < Bluelustreak> I am making sandwiches and bringing water.
21:35 < Bluelustreak> and other drinks. And buttons... have I mentioned that?
21:35 < jokeefe> yes, I shoudl have charcoal
21:36  * srevilak will bring peanut butter, jelly, and a loaf of bread
21:36 < srevilak> I'll see what I have in terms of plates & picnic ware
21:37 < Bluelustreak> Can you skip Peanut butter, srevilak?
21:37 < Bluelustreak> I will bring two other nut butters!
21:38 < Bluelustreak> AJ is allergic to peanuts.
21:38 < srevilak> okay, I can skip peanut butter
21:38 < Bluelustreak> Thanks
21:38 < jokeefe> I can bring fruit
21:38 < jokeefe> is there a piratepad for the picnic?
21:38 < Bluelustreak> OK. I was going to bring strawberries and grapes and apples.
21:38 < Bluelustreak> and dip
21:39 < Bluelustreak> You could... make one!
21:39 < Bluelustreak> Oh, hand sanitizer
21:40 < srevilak> https://piratenpad.de/p/george
21:40 < jokeefe> beat me too it srevilak
21:40 < Kendra> I was going to say Lulu, you might save yourself a headache bringing sandwich fixings and letting people get creative
21:41 < jokeefe> Bluelustreak, don't feel you need to bring it all.
21:41 < srevilak> question: what time are we returning?
21:41 < Bluelustreak> I'm like lightning, all on or all off
21:41 < jokeefe> 4-5pm
21:42 < Bluelustreak> Kendra's idea is noted and appreciated
21:42 < Bluelustreak> Fixings for sandwiches is easier
21:42 < srevilak> re: return trip.  http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/harbor-islands/schedule-rates.aspx
21:42 < srevilak> we have 4, 4:30 and 5pm options
21:42 < Bluelustreak> I am not getting tickets before I reach the dock
21:43 < jokeefe> that will be too late unless you get there early
21:43 < Bluelustreak> Last year I had tickets, got sick... had tickets for HOPE X AJ got sick
21:43 < jokeefe> true
21:43 < Bluelustreak> Sigh fine
21:43 < Bluelustreak> Will get them tomorrow
21:44 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: order on line, late Saturday night :)
21:44 < Bluelustreak> OTAY!
21:44 < jokeefe> how about I'll plan to get there early and get them for you?
21:45 < Bluelustreak> Thanks but I will get them.
21:45 < Kendra> I will miss going this year
21:45 < srevilak> Either of you know: is Harbor Island Cruises okay with bike on ferrys?
21:45 < Bluelustreak> We will miss you!
21:45 < Bluelustreak> Prolly but you should call
21:46 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: will do that then
21:46 < Kendra> But call people, becasue I think there are more peple interested.  I did not see any bikes last year. 
21:46 < jokeefe> agreed on both sentiments
21:46 < jokeefe> will advertise about the pad and we can see what folks will bring
21:46 < Bluelustreak> Garret cant because SUNDAYS
21:46 < Bluelustreak> He can never anything on SUNDAYS
21:46 < Bluelustreak> Chance might make it
21:46 < Kendra> in church
21:47 < Bluelustreak> Working
21:47 < Bluelustreak> akshlly
21:47 < Bluelustreak> Has anyone reached out to Joan?
21:47 < Bluelustreak> Maurice?
21:47 < jokeefe> Sep. is looking busy, so next IPM/social in Oct?
21:48 < Bluelustreak> I aksed Chris he prolly has to work
21:48 < Kendra> Are you asking Greg and blue and laura Pespisa/
21:48 < Bluelustreak> Yes, IPM in OCt is good idea
21:48 < Bluelustreak> We can have ongoing IPM at FR!
21:48 < Bluelustreak> I emailed Blue directly
21:48 < Bluelustreak> Has anyone reached out to Lauren?
21:49 < jokeefe> will email
21:49 < Bluelustreak> Thank you!
21:49 < Bluelustreak> Tell her how much we miss her
21:49 < Kendra> Also Brian Gallant and Will from Berkman Media.  BLU and Shanti Mission people with Will Rico might be interested.
21:49 < Bluelustreak> I asked Will
21:49 < Kendra> Sorry, I meant Kit Walsh if he is still in town.
21:50 < Bluelustreak> Who want to ping Kit? I will ask Bry
21:50 < jokeefe> will do as well
21:50 < Bluelustreak> Jason is done with his work. He says HI Y'ALL!
21:50 < Bluelustreak> OK. I am asking my non-Pirate friends.
21:51 < jokeefe> hi to Jason
21:51 < jokeefe> haven't reached out to Joan or Maurice
21:51 < Bluelustreak> Not much response with them so far
21:51 < Bluelustreak> What if we both do, James?
21:51 < Kendra> Not to mention Alex Matthews and some of those folks. Have you thougt about just sending an evite ot all of the people and groups we have worked with in the last year?
21:52 < Bluelustreak> Make her feel loved
21:52 < jokeefe> good idea
21:52 < Bluelustreak> Yes, I FB invited EVERYONE
21:52 < Kendra> ACLU, FSF, etc
21:52 < jokeefe> invited Alex, cannot make it
21:52 < Bluelustreak> Kade?
21:52 < jokeefe> will email
21:52 < Bluelustreak> Don;t know how to reach FSF Chris... oops
21:53 < jokeefe> will email Zak
21:53 < Bluelustreak> Well bug group or small I am excited
21:53 < Bluelustreak> Jason and AJ have never been to the harbor islands
21:53 < Kendra> Email Zac, Chrissie or Will Theaker, they will probably want to go. 
21:53 < Kendra> And Lisa Marie
21:53 < srevilak> will email kit walsh
21:53 < Bluelustreak> You have their emails?
21:54 < Kendra> I'll send you what I have
21:54 < Bluelustreak> OK great
21:54 < jokeefe> thanks
21:55 < jokeefe> before the end - 6. International Day Against DRM (May 6th 2015)? 
21:55 < Bluelustreak> Can we tie this to PirateCon 2015 somehow?
21:56 < srevilak> I think we can find some way to tie the two together
21:56 < jokeefe> lets brain storm at the picnic
21:56 < Kendra> May 6th is a Saturday.  When is Pirate con?
21:56 < Bluelustreak> See?
21:56 < Kendra> Makes sense to maximize the audience and interest. 
21:56 < jokeefe> havn't picked a date
21:57 < srevilak> Seems like first order of business should be deciding if we want to do it
21:57 < Bluelustreak> Maybe the 6th!
21:57 < jokeefe> usually a sat
21:57 < srevilak> Could to pirate con on 5/6, and make DRM a major theme
21:57 < Bluelustreak> Yes. What I was thinking.
21:57 < srevilak> Oh wait, 5/6/ is a wednesday
21:57 < Bluelustreak> OK wait...
21:57 < Bluelustreak> Have PC 2015 the sat BEFORE
21:58 < Bluelustreak> and promote anti DRM day at it
21:58 < Kendra> sorry about that. 
21:58 < jokeefe> just don't want it to conflict with DMC or other conferences
21:58 < Bluelustreak> OK about DMC
21:58 < Kendra> Might still be able to work with them
21:58 < jokeefe> may is also finals at colleges
21:58 < Bluelustreak> In Sept they will be having an IPM
21:58 < srevilak> Or, have pirate con on 5/16, and promote it at DRM day :)
21:58 < Bluelustreak> We Pirates should all be there becasue
21:58 < Bluelustreak> They will be setting the date for the Spring
21:58 < Kendra> That is a graduation weekend
21:59 < Bluelustreak> Good point
21:59 < Bluelustreak> Next DMC IPM is on a friday end of spt 26th I think
21:59 < jokeefe> thanks
22:00 < srevilak> DRM day can be simple.  We can (say) stand outside apple store and hand out leaflets
22:00 < jokeefe> will aim to be at it
22:00 < jokeefe> agreed, srevilak
22:00 < Bluelustreak> Well then, we could promote Pirate Con at DRM day
22:00 < jokeefe> yes
22:00 < Bluelustreak> So... June for Pirate con?
22:01 < Bluelustreak> Just... skip a year
22:01 < Bluelustreak> We are at time
22:01 < srevilak> DRM day is international.  I think it's worthwhile to do something, just to be part of an international movement.
22:01 < srevilak> + Open culture
22:01 < jokeefe> agreed
22:01 < srevilak> can we do a vote on DRM day participation?
22:01 < Bluelustreak> Well, people will ask: What can I do about DRM? and then we can say COME TO PIRATECON!\
22:01 < Bluelustreak> um
22:02 < Bluelustreak> nao?
22:02 < Bluelustreak> Move to support int day against DRM by leafletting in Boston
22:02 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: are you asking "now", or saying "no"?
22:02 < jokeefe> 2nd
22:02 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:02 < Bluelustreak> aye
22:02 < srevilak> aye
22:02 < Kendra> Aye 
22:02 < jokeefe> aye
22:02 < Bluelustreak> Jason sez aye
22:03 < Bluelustreak> He will bring flag
22:03 < srevilak> I'll contact zak, and put myself on the planning list they have
22:03 < jokeefe> thanks
22:03 < Bluelustreak> cc that email to the list ok?
22:03 < jokeefe> we are at time, lets talk more at the picnic when we have more perspectives on when is the best time to hold it.  motion to adjourn?
22:03 < jokeefe> the conference that is
22:03 < Bluelustreak> 2nd
22:04 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:04 < jokeefe> aye
22:04 < Bluelustreak> kissy huggy night night
22:04 < Bluelustreak> aye
22:04 < srevilak> aye, on motion to adjourn
22:04 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:05 < Bluelustreak> Thanks!
22:05 < jokeefe> thank you