August 8th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Right of Repair Meetup

Decisions/Endorsements

9/15-17 Freedom Rally

9/9 Worcester Pride Parade

Entry fee is $20.

Projects

8/19 Pirate Picnic

Near Parkman Bandstand on Boston Common. Schedule:

  • noon-1pm: food and training;
  • 1pm-2:30pm: map cameras;
  • 2:30pm-3:30pm: come back and debrief.

Planning Pad

To Do:

  • blog post
  • email
  • Facebook event
  • Email act-ma
  • Post to other event listings
  • call members (jokeefe, Malt, Joe, Matt, Aaron)
  • make poster - asked designer, jokeefe will follow
  • put up posters
  • write how-tos
  • post press release

Possible picnic in Worcester on 9/30.

Fundraiser

Planning for 2018 Elections

Other To Dos

S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017

Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

  • 8/19, noon-3:30pm, Pirate Picnic/Surveillance Camera Mapping Outing, Boston Common, Boston
  • 8/30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 9/15-17, Freedom Rally, Sign Up Form
  • 9/19, International Talk Like a Pirate Day
  • 9/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • Fundraiser
  • 10/4, Wikileaks' 10th Birthday Party
  • 10/25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 11/4, 11am-2pm, South Boston Cryptoparty, South Boston BPL Branch, 646 East Broadway
  • 11/8, City Election Day
  • 11/11-12, Boston Anarchist Bookfair, Boston University George Sherman Union
  • 11/29, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 12/17, Chelsea Manning's Birthday
  • 12/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • Joe
  • jokeefe
  • Malt

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • hvxgr
  • papegaai

Summary

Moved picnic to near the boston common visitors center.

Right of Repair Meetup was well attended. They have bills before the legislature and a hearing in September. We can help get people call legislators to support it.

Will get a table for Freedom Rally. Joe will register it. jokeefe will email out the details.

8/19 Pirate Picnic - jokeefe will post a draft Press release and followed up with the designer about the poster

Minutes

 

[9:02pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_8th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
[9:02pm] papegaai: Title: August 8th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org)
[9:02pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:03pm] Malt: Yes, sorry
[9:03pm] Malt: there's an alt-right rally in Boston
[9:04pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:04pm] Malt: Aug 19th, called the "free speech rally"
[9:04pm] Malt: `2-5
[9:04pm] papegaai: Malt: Error: "2-5" is not a valid command.
[9:04pm] Malt: 12-5
[9:04pm] jokeefe: where?
[9:04pm] Malt: the common
[9:05pm] Joe: O my
[9:05pm] Malt: gavin mcinnes, augustus invictus, based stickman
[9:05pm] Joe: It could be interesting
[9:05pm] Malt: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheNewRight/comments/6r4e3h/boston_free_speech_rally_august_19th/
[9:05pm] papegaai: Title: Boston Free Speech Rally - August 19th! : TheNewRight (at www.reddit.com)
[9:06pm] Malt: might be good for making inroads with other lefties if we went to support
[9:06pm] Joe: Perhaps we can get some of their followers to join with us?
[9:07pm] Malt: perhaps
[9:07pm] jokeefe: hmmm… would prefer to focus on what we are doing, not get involved in either side.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: we are scheduled to meet at the parkman bandstand on the common
[9:09pm] jokeefe: move?
[9:09pm] Joe: I agree that what we are doing is important.
[9:09pm] Malt: i think there's going to be a fight
[9:09pm] Malt: i expect the counter protest will get disruptive
[9:10pm] jokeefe: not sure, but it isn’t exactly a picnic vibe
[9:10pm] Malt: based stickman is organizing a militia
[9:10pm] Malt: gavin's got his proud boys
[9:10pm] Malt: they're spoiling for a fight
[9:11pm] Joe: Want to move the date to Sunday instead?
[9:12pm] jokeefe: no
[9:12pm] Malt: we could act as a pressure release valve
[9:12pm] Malt: try and get some folks looking for cameras instead of at their fists
[9:13pm] Malt: kind of like what vermin supreme does
[9:13pm] jokeefe: don’t see either side being interested in being diverted
[9:13pm] Joe: It is a good opportunity to get a name for ourselves as well. So that not everyone on our side has lost their minds.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: https://www.facebook.com/events/101232260566245/ says boston common and city hall
[9:13pm] papegaai: Title: The Second Boston Free Speech Rally (at www.facebook.com)
[9:14pm] Joe: I reread my statement and see that it's really harsh, sorry.
[9:15pm] Malt: https://www.facebook.com/events/101232260566245/permalink/104093806946757/?action_history=null
[9:15pm] papegaai: Title: The Second Boston Free Speech Rally (at www.facebook.com)
[9:15pm] Malt: how many garret kirklands are there
[9:16pm] Malt: is it the same garret kirkland with this party?
[9:16pm] jokeefe: only one that I know
[9:16pm] jokeefe: how about we meet by the boston common visitors center. then anyone walking by who wants to join us can.
[9:17pm] Joe: I may be a little late on the 19th but I'll be there.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: great
[9:18pm] jokeefe: so move?
[9:18pm] Joe: Second
[9:19pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:19pm] Malt: aye
[9:19pm] Joe: Aye
[9:19pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:20pm] jokeefe: any opposed?
[9:21pm] jokeefe: motion passes
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Review - Right of Repair Meetup
[9:23pm] jokeefe: It was well attended.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: They have bills before the legislature
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Hearing in September
[9:24pm] jokeefe: We can help get people call legislators to support it
[9:24pm] Malt: i had meant to make that but forgot i had guests this week
[9:24pm] jokeefe: no worries
[9:25pm] jokeefe: want to avoid apple/etc locking down hardware so people cannot get their electronics fixed
[9:25pm] jokeefe: will email my notes
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:25pm] jokeefe:  9/15-17 Freedom Rally
[9:26pm] jokeefe: unfortunately, haven’t seen much interest in attending this year.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: thoughts?
[9:29pm] Malt: we should prepare a broadsheet on that pernicious bit of legal wrangling the senate dems just pulled
[9:29pm] Malt: that might get some converts
[9:29pm] jokeefe: you want to write it up?
[9:30pm] Malt: sure
[9:30pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:30pm] Malt: haven't heard back from worcester farmers
[9:31pm] Malt: and the folks running the makerspace are getting married this weekend, so i haven't been able to book a preliminary meeting space just yet
[9:31pm] jokeefe: good to know and good for them
[9:32pm] Joe left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[9:34pm] jokeefe: thoughts on Freedom Rally? Yay or nay?
[9:34pm] Malt: i don't think we need a table but flyering the event might be fun
[9:35pm] Joe joined the chat room.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: ahoy Joe
[9:35pm] jokeefe: thoughts on Freedom Rally? Malt suggested just flyering, not getting a table
[9:35pm] Joe: Ahoy sir, turns out my computer is angry at me.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: they get that way
[9:36pm] Joe: I asked it to keep up....
[9:36pm] Joe: lol
[9:36pm] Joe: yes they do
[9:36pm] Malt: enjoying win10 on my new laptop
[9:36pm] Malt: just today noticed i bought a machine without a visual drive
[9:37pm] Joe: How is the performance?
[9:38pm] Malt: it's taking a bit to tone down all of the apple-wannabe visual tricks and flourishes, but not bad
[9:38pm] Malt: there's a weeeeeeiiiirrrrd 1 second wait for audio to start playing on streaming videos
[9:38pm] Malt: but it's not out of synch
[9:39pm] Joe: Hmmm, prob just a driver issue.
[9:39pm] Malt: i had to undo a win7 downgrade to get back to win10 so i'm just glad it frakkin boots
[9:39pm] Malt: ugh there are like two proprietary audio programs in addition to the windows interface
[9:39pm] Joe: Yeah, my main comp is on the fritz, I need a new powersource.
[9:39pm] Malt: sorry i don't want to derail the meeting
[9:40pm] Joe: I am also sorry
[9:40pm] jokeefe: thoughts on Freedom Rally?
[9:40pm] jokeefe: table or not to table?
[9:40pm] Joe: Well, if we mingle with the free speech rally, it would be click-baity to get them to come
[9:41pm] Malt: freedom rally is different from the free speech rally
[9:41pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:41pm] jokeefe: pro-Cannabis rally. many more people
[9:42pm] Joe: I understand, still, it's a chance to get people out there.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:43pm] jokeefe: tables are $300 by 8/10. and there are three days, 8 hours each we need people for
[9:43pm] Joe: I can pay for half of the table and do one of the days.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: if we just flyer, then we can concentrate on a few hours
[9:44pm] Malt: yeeeaaah. if i was confident i'd be able to sample the wares i'd hold it down the three days myself, if my wife allowed.
[9:44pm] Joe: Malt, I'll buy you some of the goods if you go to all three days.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: I can work one day
[9:46pm] jokeefe: We don’t have to be there all three days
[9:46pm] Malt: . . . that's a hard bargain
[9:46pm] Joe: I'll do Friday or Sunday
[9:47pm] Joe: Prefer Friday
[9:47pm] jokeefe: I can do Sunday
[9:48pm] Joe: I would also like to look in to lanyards, people love them
[9:48pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:48pm] jokeefe: Well, if you two are game, we can call volunteers and ask them to work the table. Aaron can work some of it.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: So go forward with it?
[9:48pm] Malt: i need to check availability
[9:49pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:49pm] jokeefe: 9/15-17
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Fri-Sun
[9:50pm] Malt: would we have an awning?
[9:50pm] Malt: some shade
[9:50pm] jokeefe: yes, need one
[9:50pm] Joe: I already blocked it off on the calendar
[9:51pm] Joe: I would also like to bring a few coolers to hand out waters if that's allowed.
[9:51pm] jokeefe: I am not sure
[9:51pm] jokeefe: so lets go for it, then. Joe, would you be able to arrange payment and registration?
[9:51pm] jokeefe: I can email you the details
[9:52pm] Joe: I can. I'll prob just put the 150 in the account and cut a check if that's ok
[9:53pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:54pm] Malt: what are the restrictions on selling "Product?"
[9:54pm] jokeefe:  9/9 Worcester Pride Parade - any chance to see which Pirates in Worcester can attend, Malt?
[9:54pm] Malt: if we Know Some People could we offer converts "cookies"
[9:54pm] Malt: not yet but it's on my list
[9:55pm] jokeefe: ok, thanks
[9:55pm] jokeefe: there are a lot of people at Freedom Rally
[9:55pm] Malt: if people signed up, though?
[9:55pm] Malt: hm
[9:55pm] Malt: false positives
[9:56pm] Joe: The freedom rally is a big event, I don't want us missing out on it.
[9:56pm] jokeefe: 8/19 Pirate Picnic - Will post a draft Press release. followed up with the designer about the poster
[9:57pm] jokeefe: Any update on the fundraiser, Joe?
[9:58pm] Joe: Unfortunately not, I have not had any free moments to do proper research
[9:59pm] jokeefe: ok, think we have a shared document for past fundraisers. will send that out
[9:59pm] Joe: The new company is kicking my butt and I have had a hard time keeping up, but the new manage I'm training is showing a lot of promise
[9:59pm] jokeefe: good
[9:59pm] Joe: manager.
[10:01pm] jokeefe: we are at time
[10:01pm] Joe: I should have some time this upcoming Sunday to get caught up on my pirate business. I'll have to get the event stuff done tomorrow and put the money in asap.
[10:02pm] jokeefe: thanks
[10:02pm] Malt: so, about calling
[10:02pm] Malt: working for the union, we'd call till 8pm
[10:02pm] jokeefe: yes
[10:02pm] Malt: do you have any suggestions on how late i should or shouldn't be calling?
[10:02pm] Malt: i haven't yet checked the website
[10:02pm] Malt: the phone database
[10:03pm] jokeefe: 8pm is probably a good time to stop
[10:04pm] Malt: thank youuuuuu
[10:04pm] Malt: honestly it might seem silly but even that light a touch can help set me on task
[10:04pm] jokeefe: please try to login. I can walk you through it
[10:04pm] Malt: gotcha
[10:05pm] Malt: logging in now
[10:06pm] Malt: just updated my password
[10:06pm] jokeefe: Joe, if you could call folks up in Lowell area about the 19th, or Freedom rally, that would help
[10:06pm] jokeefe: thanks
[10:06pm] Joe: I can and will
[10:07pm] jokeefe: thanks. if you have any issues using the db, I can help
[10:07pm] Malt: is there a FB event for it?
[10:07pm] jokeefe: https://www.facebook.com/events/828667743958888/
[10:07pm] papegaai: Title: Pirate camera mapping picnic (at www.facebook.com)
[10:07pm] jokeefe: we are at time. shall we adjourn? I can hang out to help with db stuff
[10:08pm] Malt: i'm all set with adjourning
[10:08pm] Malt: Joe?
[10:08pm] Joe: Aye
[10:08pm] Joe: I need to go, I'm available by phone anytime for either of you.
[10:09pm] Joe: good night guys
[10:09pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:09pm] Malt: night
[10:09pm] jokeefe: good night