August 9th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  • Pirate Picnic
  • Video Streaming Update

Projects

Aaron James Campaign

jokeefe is working on the database and aims to get it done this week

Surveillance camera map

jokeefe will put together a flyer for using PushPin to map cameras for a cryptoparty table this Saturday. He will work on a how to video and email supporters about it.

There may be a focused effort on mapping the cameras in Somerville and Cambridge.

November Run for local office conference

At the Pirate Picnic we tentatively scheduled November 12th to be a Run for local office conference. The objective is to teach people to run for local office. There will be sessions on:

  • running for representative town meeting
  • running for town-wide and city elections
  • what you can accomplish in local office.

We will reach out to other groups and see if they are interested in participating.

It will run from noon-5pm. srevilak is checking on the availability of the Tent City Community Room.

Democracy center's room rates are here: http://democracycenter.org/book-a-room

PirateCon Recordings

  • Audio - srevilak has posted over half of the PirateCon talks
  • Video - jokeefe is getting a copy of the videos from noe for upload

Upcoming Events

  1. 8/10, 11am-12:30pm, Digital Fourth meeting, Tatte Bakery & Cafe, 101 Main Street, Cambridge
  2. 8/27, 1-5pm, Boston Public Library Cryptoparty, Grove Hall Branch, 41 Geneva Avenue, Dorchester.
  3. 8/30,6-9:30, Aaron James Event, The Somerville Armory, 191 Highland Ave, Somerville
  4. 8/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  5. 9/17-18, Freedom Rally Table
  6. 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  7. Democracy/IT meeting
  8. WMass Cryptoparty
  9. How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer
  10. 11/12, noon-5pm, Run for local office conference

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • srevilak
  • moses
  • Kendra

Observers

  • davidd
  • pagegaai
  • igel
  • itspara_
  • Velveeta_Chef

Summary

Pirate Picnic. Not our biggest turnout, but it was still a good event. The bananna bread was wonderful. Weather was good.

Video streaming. Steve may have a workable solution with icecast. Still needs more testing, but holds promise.

Aaron James Campaign. Going door to door every Saturday. We hit 100--150 houses last Saturday. Another campaign event on Aug 30th at the Somerville Armory. Overall, we've gotten positive responses when campaigning.

Surveillance camera map. Some folks in Cambridge may use the map to advocate for fewer cameras. Jamie planning to write a simple set of instructions/how-to. An iphone and/or android app to simplify workflow would be nice. Will put out a call to volunteers, to see if anyone is interested in working on an app.

Run for local office conference. In Boston area, tentatively Nov 12th. Possible resources:

The latter lists which towns have representative vs open town meetings.

Would like to work with moses to have a run for local office conference in western ma.

https://calc.mayfirst.org/8wt0npgcy1 - start of work to assemble deadlines for the different municipalities. Steve will put out a call to pirate volunteers for research.

Piratecon recordings. These are posted at https://archive.org/details/masspirates. Audio from municipal rights talk will go up this weekend.

Minutes

 
21:01 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_9th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:01 < jokeefe> ids
21:01 <@papegaai> Title: August 9th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:01 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:01 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:03 < moses> Moses Sukin, Great Barrington
21:03 < jokeefe> Review
21:03 < jokeefe> Pirate Picnic
21:04 < jokeefe> Good people, good food, more exhausted than last time
21:06 < jokeefe> Anything else srevilak?
21:06 < srevilak> I thought it was a nice event.  Weather was good
21:07 < jokeefe> That it was
21:07 < jokeefe> Video Streaming Update?
21:08 < srevilak> Yes.
21:08 < srevilak> Aaron had asked me about streaming his event on the
30th, and Jamie was interested in streaming an event later this year
21:08 < srevilak> So I've been working on this
21:08 < srevilak> First finding: according to youtube's documentation,
        youtube live is RTMP only
21:09 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:09 < Kendra> Hi, Kendra Moyer in Highland Park, MI
21:09 < srevilak> RTMP = real time messaging protocol, a quasi-proprietary
        protocol from Macromedia/Adobe
21:09 < srevilak> Essentially, it's flash video
21:09 < srevilak> Codec wise, it's H.264 + AAC, which is a bit of a pain
        to do on a linux box
21:10 < srevilak> I've also been experimenting with icecast, and figured
        out how to get a decent video stream from it
21:10 < srevilak> The trick is bursting a lot of data after the initial
        client connection; fill the client buffer, so it can start playback
        right away
21:11 < srevilak> https://support.mayfirst.org/ticket/12010 is my plan
        to tweak mayfirst's icecast server for video delivery
21:11 <@papegaai> Title: #12010 (a.stream.mayfirst.org (icecast)
        configuration tweaks) – Support (at support.mayfirst.org)
21:11 < jokeefe> cool
21:11 < srevilak> If that works well, we should be set for audio +
        video streaming
21:11 < jokeefe> nice
21:11 < srevilak> So far, I've had luck with a dev icecast server.
        Will be able to try mf/pl's later this week
21:12 < srevilak> As a fallback, I can also look into commercial icecast
        streaming services
21:12 < srevilak> though I'm hoping we don't need them
21:13 < srevilak> For posterity, the bottom of
        https://www.srevilak.net/wiki/Linux_Audio_and_Streaming#gstreamer is
        what we used to stream piratecon
21:13 <@papegaai> Title: Linux Audio and Streaming - srevilak.net
        (at www.srevilak.net)
21:13 < jokeefe> Kendra - Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_9th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:13 <@papegaai> Title: August 9th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:13 < srevilak> (end of update)
21:13 < jokeefe> thank you
21:14 < jokeefe> Projects
21:14 < jokeefe> Aaron James Campaign - going door to door on Saturday
21:15 < jokeefe> continuing every weekend
21:15 < jokeefe> And another campaign event on 8/30 they want to get
        people out to
21:15 < srevilak> Last saturday, we hit 100--150 doors, in the highland
        ave/central street area
21:16 < jokeefe> great
21:16 < moses> how was the response?
21:16 < srevilak> Most of the people I talked to were receptive.
21:17 < srevilak> My 30 second pitch mentioned electoral reform (like
        ranked choice voting), and drug reform; putting more emphasis on getting
        people treated and productive in society, rather than incarceration
21:17 < srevilak> The notion of winding down the war on drugs seems to
        get a positive response
21:18 < moses> nobody likes a war on a noun
21:18 < srevilak> :)
21:18 < jokeefe> ;-)
21:19 < jokeefe> Surveillance camera map
21:20 < jokeefe> Some folks in Cambridge may use the data to advocate
        for limits on cameras.  Working on a single page how-to sheet for this
        weekend.  There is an event that cryptoparty folks will be tabling at.
21:21 < jokeefe> I continue mapping, but having more hands would help.
        Not seeing cameras in my sleep, but I do reflexively scan buildings for
        them when I am about.
21:22 < jokeefe> If you know of anyone who does iPhone or Android
        programming, please send them my way
21:22 < srevilak> jokeefe: perhaps we could inquire with the Pirate
        volunteers
21:23 < jokeefe> yes
21:23 < jokeefe> will get that request out
21:23 < moses> that's Objective-c and java respectively?
21:24 < srevilak> I believe so.  THough iPhone might have some facilities
        for building apps in html5.  not sure though
21:25 < jokeefe> Swift is the new language for iPhone, but they still
        support Obj-C
21:26 < jokeefe> A html5 app would be good as well.  Browser independent.
21:28 < jokeefe> Any how, will ask and see what responses we get
21:28 < jokeefe> November: Run for local office conference
21:28 < jokeefe> We talked about this at the pirate picnic
21:28 < jokeefe> Tentatively Nov. 12
21:28 < jokeefe> focus on training/encouraging people to run for local
        office
21:29 < srevilak> (I might be inclined to call it "conference" or "skill
        share" rather than "training")
21:29 < jokeefe> Skill Share sounds good
21:30 < jokeefe> Found this
        https://www.mma.org/resources-mainmenu-182/cat_view/146-municipal-government
21:30 <@papegaai> Title: Massachusetts Municipal Association - Resources |
        Downloads | Municipal Government (at www.mma.org)
21:30 < srevilak> Question for jokeefe  and moses: would it be feasible
        to do two of these: one in eastern mass, and one in western mass?
21:31 < jokeefe> Would get us out of Boston, which would be good
21:31 < jokeefe> Would be willing to do one in Worcester, or elsewhere
21:32 < jokeefe> Also this doc is useful -
        https://www.mma.org/resources-mainmenu-182/doc_download/26-form-of-government-for-each-community-in-massachusetts
21:32 < jokeefe> Tells us which towns have representative town meeting
21:33 < srevilak> jokeefe: I was actually thinking further west, like
        the Great Barrington Area.  If moses would be able to help with the
        logistics and getting the word out?
21:33 < srevilak> moses: wdyt?
21:34 < jokeefe> I know, I was just saying that I would be happy to more
        than two skill shares
21:34 < moses> yeah; the only thing is I don't think I feel confident
        enough to /run/ it
21:34 < jokeefe> you wouldn’t be alone
21:35 < srevilak> I'm willing to make a trip out there, and I'd even
        volunteer to moderate
21:35 < moses> yeah, so you would basiclly just need a space to do it,
        fb page and some flyers right?
21:35 < jokeefe> I will also come out.  Would need a place/date.
21:36 < jokeefe> Reach out to groups in the area
21:36 < srevilak> And this is where we need moses :)
21:36 < srevilak> moses: yeah, that's the basic idea
21:36 < srevilak> space and publicity
21:37 < moses> there aren't really "groups" out here.
21:38 < Kendra> maybe thing about a library or community church for a
        location with an audience
21:38 < jokeefe> Arise for Social Justice, perhaps
21:38 < Kendra> Anywhere with a polling station for example
21:39 < jokeefe> Can reach out to Green-Rainbows and Libertarians
21:39 < srevilak> moses: I think that would be okay.  If we could get
        a few people who were interested (or even on the fence) about running
        for local office, that would be a good outcome
21:39 < jokeefe> Plus we have our list of people we can reach out to
21:39 < moses> we might have more luck somehwere like amherst or
        Northhampton which is actually highly populated. somewhere where there
        are students. that said, I'd be happy to try to make it work out here/
21:40 < srevilak> moses: that would be great
21:40 < srevilak> timing-wise, we were thinking post-election, but not
        conflicting with thanksgiving or xmas
21:41 < srevilak> (or other december holidays)
21:42 < srevilak> of course, we don't have to make a commitment tonight,
        but I think it's worth thinking about
21:42 < moses> for sure!
21:42 < jokeefe> agreed
21:43 < srevilak> On the boston side, I thought I'd
        volunteered to find rates for democracy center.  Here they are
        http://democracycenter.org/book-a-room
21:43 <@papegaai> Title: Book a Room | Democracy Center (at
        democracycenter.org)
21:43 < srevilak> Mandela room, 60 people, $75
21:43 < srevilak> Or, Rosa Parks, 30 people, $50
21:44 < srevilak> I can also inquire about tent city
21:44 < jokeefe> We need to find out the rep. town meeting towns (about
30), then get their dates for signatures and requirements and see if
        we are early enough or if we could do other skill shares elsewhere
        in Dec./Jan.
21:45 < jokeefe> Smaller may be better.  Could setup sign ups and see
        if we get enough to book a bigger venue
21:45 < srevilak> jokeefe: in terms of getting town deadlines, might
        that be a good task for pirate volunteers?
21:46 < jokeefe> yes
21:46 < jokeefe> should put it up at https://calc.mayfirst.org/
21:46 <@papegaai> Title: EtherCalc - Share the URL to your friends and
        edit together! (at calc.mayfirst.org)
21:46 < srevilak> Shall I contact democracy center, and try to make a
        reservation for Dec 12th?
21:46 < srevilak> Shall I contact democracy center, and try to make a
        reservation for Nov 12th?
21:47 < srevilak> jokeefe: I'll do setup, and send something to volunteers
21:47 < jokeefe> Sure.  Probably Rosa Parks room is enough.  do they
        have tables?
21:48 < srevilak> I will ask
21:48 < jokeefe> Started https://calc.mayfirst.org/8wt0npgcy1 for the
        city/town listing
21:48 <@papegaai> Title: EtherCalc - Share the URL to your friends and
        edit together! (at calc.mayfirst.org)
21:49 < jokeefe> Move on to PirateCon Recordings?
21:50 < srevilak> Here they are: https://archive.org/details/masspirates
21:50 <@papegaai> Title: Massachusetts Pirate Party : Free Audio :
        Download & Streaming : Internet Archive (at archive.org)
21:51 < jokeefe> Thanks!
21:51 < jokeefe> and for the posts
21:52 < jokeefe> Will ask noe about video recordings
21:52 < srevilak> Terra's talk on municipal rights will go up this
        weekend.
21:52 < jokeefe> did you have to clean up the audio that much?
21:52 < jokeefe> thanks
21:52 < srevilak> Each piece probably has 100+ edits.
21:53 < srevilak> It's mostly removing p-pop's, "um", mouth noise,
        closing gaps, and dealing with questions that were asked off-mic
21:53 < srevilak> Plus a round of noise reduction, limiting, and
        compression
21:53 < srevilak> Editing time to run-time ratio is somewhere between
2:1 and 3:1
21:54 < srevilak> which is more or less typical for speech editing
21:54 < jokeefe> ok
21:54 < jokeefe> thanks
21:54 < jokeefe> anything else?
21:55 < Kendra> motion to adjourn?
21:55 < srevilak> Kendra: I heard one of the presidential candidates
        recently spoke in Detroit
21:56 < srevilak> How'd that go down?
21:56 < Kendra> Yeah I did not get to see that yet.
21:56 < Kendra> I think I saw some protestors
21:56 < Kendra> But not the speech.  That athletic club had a $10,000
        annual membership in 2001
21:57 < Kendra> It's not for the city folks
21:57 < jokeefe> yes
21:57 < srevilak> Wow, that's nearly $200/week
21:57 < Kendra> It has to be ridiculous now, its near theOpera House,
        it is a very fancy men's club
21:58 < Kendra> We had opera singer's stay ther
21:59 < Kendra> There is a lot of inaccessible wealth in this city
        right now
21:59 < Kendra> but we are at time
22:00 < jokeefe> 2nd on the motion adjourn
22:00 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:00 < srevilak> aye
22:00 < Kendra> aye
22:00 < Kendra> nite all