December 14th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review & Decisions

Campaigns Status

2016 Campaign

2016 Campaign Plan & Task Status

  1. Setup simple page for people to volunteer to be regional organizers / candidates / supporters (jokeefe)
  2. Post videos on:
    1. why run
    2. planning your campaign
    3. how to get on the ballot
    4. how to gather signatures
  3. Identify allies
  4. Identify potential organizers among members and allies
  5. Email our supporters to ask for candidates and regional organizers

H.2487 & H.2606 Video Game Production Subsidy

  1. Working on another site (jokeefe)
  2. Meme images?

CISA

  • Vote this week, we hear

Event Planning

  1. 12/16, 6pm, FSF's 2015 Giving Guide Giveaway, Davis Sq., Somerville
  2. 12/19, 1pm, Chelsea Manning Birthday, Boston Common
  3. January, Fundraiser
  4. June, PirateCon 2016

Upcoming Events

  1. 12/16, 6pm, FSF's 2015 Giving Guide Giveaway, Davis Sq., Somerville
  2. 12/19, 1pm, Chelsea Manning Birthday, Boston Common
  3. 12/19, 3-5pm, 2016 Campaign Planning Meeting, Pizzeria Regina, 353 Cambridge St, Allston
  4. 12/30, 6-9pm, Crypto Party, Parts & Crafts, 577 Somerville Ave, Somerville
  5. 1/16, 4pm, Arisia Cryptoparty

Every Wed., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • aquaticonions (Eli Haber, Lexington)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, in highland Park, Michigan)
  • igel

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

Campaign planning. 2016 Campaign Plan & Task Status is the big to-do list. In the short term, we're going to contact some other groups, and talk about coalition building. jokeefe will contact greens; aquaticonions will contact UIP.

H.2487 & H.2606 Video Game Production Subsidy. jokeefe working on a simple campaign website.

Event planning. Ben planning to attend FSF event on 12/16. Steve planning to attend Chelsea Manning birthday rally on Boston Common (12/19).

Good turnout for last Saturday's Climate rallies (1-2 thousand or so).

Minutes

 
21:01 < jokeefe> ahoy
21:01 < srevilak> hi all
21:02 < aquaticonions> ahoy
21:02 < jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/December_14th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:03 < Kendra> Hi
21:04 < jokeefe> hi
21:04 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:04 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:05 < aquaticonions> Eli Haber, Lexington
21:05 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, in highland Park, Michigan
21:06 < jokeefe> anything to add to the agenda?
21:07 < Kendra> I have some edits I forget to add on one article so I
        may have to reload the pdf of the newsletter.  I alredy applied the new
        edits and waanted to make sure i put up a clean version, but not sure
        about naming the file.
21:08 < srevilak> Kendra: use the same name, upload to same wiki File:
        page where you put the last one
21:08 < srevilak> Given the same name, wiki will just version the
        documents
21:08 < jokeefe> thanks
21:08 < jokeefe> Campaigns Status
21:08 < jokeefe> 2016 Campaign
21:09 < Kendra> ok thanks
21:09 < jokeefe> I put the campaign plan tasks up on the wiki at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2016_Campaign_Plan_%26_Task_Status
21:09 < jokeefe> The most immediate tasks are at:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/December_14th,_2015_IRC_Meeting#2016_Campaign
21:10 < jokeefe> Will talk with JoeT about the videos
21:11 < aquaticonions> I think we should make working with other 3rd
        parties/maybe even forming a formal coalition a higher priority
21:12 < jokeefe> Identify potential organizers among members and allies
        is on the list
21:13 < jokeefe> reaching out to our own people is pretty important.
        Do you want to contact some of them?
21:13 < aquaticonions> I know; it just seems like we're too focused
        on ourselves when the best way to make a big difference in the Mass
        "democracy" is to work together much more closely with other groups
21:15 < igel> yaar,
21:15 < igel> william fleurant, arlington ma
21:15 < jokeefe> I hear you, but aquaticonions, but we also need to
        organize ourselves or we have nothing to offer any alliance
21:15 < igel> hit/miss right now, got in late afk..
21:15 < jokeefe> ahoy igel
21:15 < igel> lo
21:17 < Kendra> We have done some activities in the past, for example
        endorsing and promoting Seamus Heaney as a Socialist Alternative candidate
        for Boston City Council.  I am not sure what 3rd parties are doing right
        now as far as next year, but it was a good collaboration at the time
21:17 < jokeefe> Kendra, do you have contacts with SA?
21:18 < Kendra> I will say that all of these groups have their
        differences, so you are often gambling with your time if there are not
        a lot of share values
21:18 < jokeefe> I can email the Greens
21:18 < aquaticonions> Absolutely. We need to stay organized within
        ourselves, but the Mass political climate makes it literally impossible
        for small movements to gain any real traction. If we want to ultimately
        do anything big in the long term, we have to make ourselves heard so we
        can "fix democracy first" a la Lessig and go from there, and it seems
        like we aren't prioritizing that enough
21:19 < Kendra> I do have contact with SA, on person named Jack Zhang
        who I talked to ata Bernie Sanders event at Wicked Pete's.  They are
        wanting to keep in touch and work on common stuff
21:19 < jokeefe> Would you reach out to them, Kendra?
21:19 < aquaticonions> We literally don't need to agree with other small
        parties on anything substantive, because we know that they will agree
        with legislation that makes it easier for small parties to gain traction,
        and we have agreement there
21:19 < Kendra> i can get you guys in touch though, they got Khrswama
        Sawant reelected city council in Seattle
21:20 < jokeefe> yes
21:20 < jokeefe> thank you
21:20 < jokeefe> aquaticonions, do you want to contact United
        Independents?
21:20 < aquaticonions> Absolutely
21:21 < jokeefe> ok, will email you contact info
21:21 < aquaticonions> I'm friends with the founder's niece
21:21 < Kendra> Eli, I was saying that the outreach can be done as
        time permits.  There are events around the debates and things that are
        opportunities for conversation and outreach
21:21 < jokeefe> if you want them
21:21 < aquaticonions> Yes, I would love to contact them
21:23 < jokeefe> thanks
21:23 < Kendra> What other 3rd parties are active in Mass?
21:23 < jokeefe> Libertarians
21:23 < aquaticonions> republicans lol
21:24 < Kendra> Are the greens running anyone we know of?
21:24 < jokeefe> haven’t looked
21:24 < srevilak> https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepar/paridx.htm
21:24 < srevilak> (masspirates.org has actually been getting referrals
        from that page)
21:25 < jokeefe> aye
21:26 < jokeefe> Any of one up for one of the tasks on the list?
21:26 < Kendra> We should be going to events where they publicly broadcast
        the debates and talk to people there.  I think Bil Lewis is hooked into
        the Bernie Sanders stuff.
21:26 < Kendra> and JP
21:27 < jokeefe> good point
21:28 < Kendra> I am not sure if that constitutes highjacking though,
        if approached correctly.  People were complaining about SA at Bernie
        sanders stuff.  I have not seen a way to avoid that though.
21:28 < Kendra> complaining that is, or SA showing up.
21:28 < srevilak> Over the next few weeks, I'm stretched pretty thin
        with MAAP, MF/PL, and the town of Arlington.  Can at least try to pen
        an article or two (why run)
21:28 < srevilak> s/MAAP/MAAPL/
21:29 < Kendra> I can probably help out with that, I have some time
21:29 < jokeefe> thanks to you both
21:30 < jokeefe> Moving on to H.2487 & H.2606 Video Game Production
        Subsidy
21:31 < jokeefe> working on a simple site.  need meme images.
21:33 < jokeefe> CISA - Vote this week, I hear
21:36 < Kendra> Are there any last minute call in campaigns to
        legislators, or is it too soon to know when they are voting?
21:37 < jokeefe> cannot hurt.  at least four reps voted for it
21:37 < jokeefe> from ma
21:38 < jokeefe>  Event Planning
21:38 < jokeefe> I know Ben will be at 12/16, 6pm, FSF's 2015 Giving
        Guide Giveaway, Davis Sq., Somerville
21:39 < jokeefe> Anyone else?
21:40  * srevilak has prior commitment that evening
21:40 < jokeefe> I hope to make it if only for a little time.
21:41 < jokeefe> Anyone available for 12/19, 1pm, Chelsea Manning
        Birthday, Boston Common ?
21:41 < srevilak> I can do that (before heading over to IPM in Allston)
21:41 < jokeefe> thanks, looking for others
21:41 < srevilak> If one person can join me, we can hold a banner :)
21:41 < jokeefe> I hope to as well.
21:42 < jokeefe> BTW: how did the climate rallies go?
21:42 < Kendra> I will be in town later in the month.  Are we putting
        these eventso on act-ma or anywhere else?
21:42 < srevilak> 1-2k people.  Very nice turnout.  Didn't see any other
        MAPP folks there
21:42 < jokeefe> which ones, Kendra?
21:43 < Kendra> Chelsea manning bday
21:43 < jokeefe> srevilak, sounds like a great turnout.
21:43 < jokeefe> I think the VfP is putting it out
21:46 < igel> cool nah going to hamburg
21:46 < Kendra> Any other events?
21:46 < jokeefe> nice.
21:46 < jokeefe> Friday, 1/1/2016 is the 10th anniversary of the formation
        of the Pirate Party.  Anyone up for a party?
21:47 < Kendra> I will be around, it sounds like a plan
21:47 < srevilak> I'm game
21:47 < Kendra> Maybe for New years if people aren't booked
21:48 < jokeefe> 1/1 misses the new years eve festivities
21:49 < jokeefe> dinner? lunch? not sure we have time to organize
        a fundraiser
21:50 < srevilak> I vote for lunch
21:50 < jokeefe> other suggestions?
21:51 < Kendra> lunch is ok.  Could we do a digital fundraiser and
        email people?
21:51 < jokeefe> yes
21:51 < jokeefe> where?
21:54 < srevilak> Some place that's open on new years day :)
21:54 < Kendra> Might want to see who is interested in attending and
        make it central
21:54 < Kendra> But that is also a consideration.  could also make lunch
        at someone's house
21:55 < Kendra> Might be hard to get the young folks out that early
        after new years, might call it brunch
21:56 < jokeefe> will check what will be open.  We can setup an event
        in civicrm
21:59 < jokeefe> we are at time
21:59 < Kendra> motion to adjourn
21:59 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:59 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:59 < Kendra> aye
22:00 < aquaticonions> aye
22:00 < jokeefe> aye
22:00 < Kendra> nite all
22:01 < aquaticonions> gute nacht
22:01 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:01 < jokeefe> thanks all
22:01 < jokeefe> thanks