December 19th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

12/16 Vigil to End Violence Against Sex Workers Protest

Decisions/Endorsements

Cancel next meeting or two?

Define issue: Building Individual Autonomy and Control

Deferred to next meeting.

Pirate pad

Projects

Video Newsletter

Newsletter

Regional Meetings

H.R.6729 - Empowering Financial Institutions to Fight Human Trafficking Act of 2018

Statements

  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Computer Donations

On hold until next week - https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Upcoming Events

  • 12/26?, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • Dec, Boston-area Chapter Meeting
  • 1/8, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 1/15, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
  • Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • davidd
  • Mikaela_Suomalainen

Summary

Minutes

 



[9:00pm] DesmondRavenstone: Intros?
[9:01pm] DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
[9:01pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/December_19th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:01pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:02pm] jokeefe: Anything to add to the agenda?
[9:02pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:02pm] jokeefe: My hope is to keep this one short
[9:02pm] Pirate_Joe: Yes, I would like to add one thing
[9:02pm] DesmondRavenstone: OK
[9:03pm] jokeefe: What is it, Pirate_Joe?
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Systemic corruption of the court systems
[9:04pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: I brief taste of what I mean is on the PP now.
[9:04pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Ahoy
[9:04pm] Malt: ayyyyyyyy
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: I would like to bring it up and then table it for after the holidays though
[9:04pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Ahoy Malt
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Systemic corruption of the court systems - where would you like to place it on the agenda?
[9:04pm] Malt: hi friends
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: Under other to do's
[9:05pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:05pm] DesmondRavenstone: Why don't we quickly review what's currently on, then discuss the court topic
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Review - 12/16 Vigil to End Violence Against Sex Workers Protest
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: I would like time to write a statement for it on a PP and then have us vote on it in the long term, but this is an issue that we can't afford to miss
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: Ty
[9:06pm] jokeefe: A small number made it to a Cold, Wet vigil
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: Yes, very moist
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Met a new person
[9:06pm] DesmondRavenstone: Yeeha!
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Need to work on turnout and having a rain date is likely a good idea
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Other thoughts Pirate_Joe?
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: We also tabled the video on it due to the weather, if I recall correctly
[9:08pm] DesmondRavenstone: Any response during vigil to call for moratorium on arrests?
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, we discussed doing this during the summer time to help improve turnout
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Not really.
[9:09pm] DesmondRavenstone: I think having an online petition for the moratorium would help build ongoing support and visibility
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: We really didn't do much because the weather was against us, plus for most of it just jokeefe and I were there
[9:09pm] Malt:
[9:09pm] Malt: having an artistic display
[9:09pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'm not surprised with the weather. But … onwards!
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: We can do a follow up video for it but lets try this again when the weather is warm
[9:09pm] jokeefe: Two others arrived, but not for the bulk of it and we missed Steve
[9:09pm] Malt: how about a painted pair of shoes for every killed or missing sex worker?
[9:10pm] jokeefe: That is a good visual
[9:10pm] DesmondRavenstone: Folks, there are other days for vigils/protests, but in between we can/should do online activity to raise awareness, discussion and visibility
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Agreed
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: Sorry we missed Steve
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Did you put together the petition?
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: That had to be a difficult ride for him
[9:11pm] DesmondRavenstone: Move to have @jokeefe put moratorium on Change.org, addressed to Commissioner William Gross
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: I second
[9:11pm] jokeefe: yes. Thankfully he got home ok
[9:11pm] jokeefe: I oppose.
[9:11pm] DesmondRavenstone: Use the original statement. If it needs beefing up, can work on it and send to you by Friday
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Anyone can create the petition 
[9:12pm] DesmondRavenstone: Anyone else game?
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: Motion countered
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: I motion to have Desmondravenstone put moratorium on Change.org, addressed to Commissioner William Gross
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Who would it be directed to?
[9:13pm] DesmondRavenstone: As said, the Boston Police Commissioner.
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: We could also address Ms. Warren and the like
[9:14pm] DesmondRavenstone: Warren would have no direct say; as this would be local, perhaps Boston's Mayor and City Council
[9:15pm] DesmondRavenstone: I've had some problems accessing my Change.org lately.
[9:15pm] DesmondRavenstone: But I could see if my pal Rikki (who is a MAPP supporter) could get a new account started.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: I could do it, but considering the lack of support for our last change.org petition, I am not sure how effective it would be
[9:18pm] Malt:
[9:18pm] DesmondRavenstone: I don't think that has to do with who posts the petition; it's more whether folks can wrap their heads around it, time limits, etc.
[9:19pm] DesmondRavenstone: The moratorium has no time limit, it's simple and concrete; I think it would get a better response over the long haul
[9:19pm] DesmondRavenstone: Something tells me lots of libertarians and anarchists (as well as sex workers and their allies) would jump on this
[9:20pm] Malt: how do we reach out to them?
[9:20pm] jokeefe: also my question then, is is Boston Police Commissioner the right person to address this to?
[9:20pm] DesmondRavenstone: Cross-post on various Facebook groups; encourage cross-posting, especially since Change.org makes it easy to share
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: Yes, the Commissioner is the one who makes decisions on enforcement discretion/priorities
[9:21pm] jokeefe: ok. Would you get me his email and I will set it up?
[9:22pm] DesmondRavenstone: The BPD website lists mediarelations@pd.boston.gov
[9:22pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:22pm] DesmondRavenstone: And I believe Change.org has you address him by name
[9:22pm] Pirate_48038 joined the chat room.
[9:22pm] jokeefe: That seems to be covered. Let’s move on to Decisions/Endorsements
[9:22pm] Malt: ahoy
[9:22pm] DesmondRavenstone: Ahoy!
[9:23pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: William G. Gross is soon to succeed him.
[9:23pm] Pirate_48038 left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: brb
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe - Please update us on systemic corruption of the court systems
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Sry, baby was crying
[9:24pm] Malt: wb
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Understandable. Are you talking about the secret courts - https://apps.bostonglobe.com/spotlight/secret-courts/
[9:25pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: and https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2018/11/28/secret-courts-massachusetts-don-have-secret/GNVCJDPrmJ11ZAVdihymMK/story.html
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: Not only that, but how our court system is fractured into small court systems where our constitutional are bypassed on a regular basis, such as family court or probate.
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: In order to repair the system, large scale sweeping changes will have to be made, which is why I don't want to go in to too much detail until after the holidays.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: So put on the agenda for next meeting, or should we have a blog post asking supporters to weigh in on it?
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: constitutional rights
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Lets vote on it
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Anyone second?
[9:27pm] DesmondRavenstone: There's also the issue of how the adversarial nature is not appropriate for all cases, yet our current system doesn't allow much room for alternative dispute resolution or restorative justice
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Not sure what we are voting on.
[9:28pm] jokeefe: DesmondRavenstone - That is a long discussion
[9:29pm] DesmondRavenstone: Agreed … I'd say use the activist list to have a discussion thread, flesh out a proposal for after the holidays
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Vote to send it to the blog, all in favor?
[9:29pm] Malt: aye
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe, will you write up what you want to post?
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: In 2 weeks, sure!
[9:30pm] DesmondRavenstone: And invite comments
[9:30pm] DesmondRavenstone: explicitly
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Great. Then I support it.
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: I will prob want to start it off as a video as well.
[9:30pm] DesmondRavenstone:
[9:31pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: May we table this for two weeks and then touch upon it then?
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Sure
[9:31pm] DesmondRavenstone: Sounds good
[9:32pm] jokeefe: At the last meeting we deferred Define issue: Building Individual Autonomy and Control to the next meeting
[9:32pm] Malt:
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Our next meeting is on the day after XMas, and the one after that is the day after New Years.  Does it make sense to cancel the next meeting or two?
[9:33pm] Malt: move to thurs?
[9:33pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'd say yes, resume the week after New Years
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: I am sure I will be not in any state after the new years and prob pretty tired with two kids after xmas
[9:34pm] Malt: i;m okay with it if y'all are
[9:34pm] jokeefe: I am fine pushing off two weeks, though I would like to record a new pirate news or two if possible
[9:34pm] DesmondRavenstone: What would be the major issue next meeting -- the BIA&C statement?
[9:34pm] Malt: could we sort it out over email?
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Yes
[9:35pm] DesmondRavenstone: Good on that
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: I agreed
[9:35pm] jokeefe: We are agreed then. I will post it.
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: er, I agree
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - Probably pick a weekend date before or after XMas
[9:37pm] jokeefe: can do over email if you prefer
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: I have tomorrow during the day and Friday but this weekend would be tough
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: I also have Sunday night
[9:38pm] jokeefe: I can do Sunday night
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Malt?
[9:38pm] Malt: aye
[9:38pm] Malt: sunday works
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: 7pm?
[9:38pm] Malt: sure
[9:38pm] jokeefe: great. Sunday, 7pm
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Great
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: I have my main pc back up and running so video editing will be on point
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Anything any of you wanted added to this weeks’ email newsletter?
[9:39pm] Malt:
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: A call for Candidates!
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: Looking for local offices for us to run.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: that I can add
[9:40pm] Malt: i'll ask folk i know
[9:40pm] jokeefe: great
[9:41pm] jokeefe: I have no more updates. Anything else to discuss?
[9:41pm] DesmondRavenstone: Nope
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: I motion to adjourn.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: 2nd
[9:42pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:42pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:42pm] Malt: aye
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you everyone!
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Happy holidays!
[9:43pm] Malt: same! see y'all real soon
[9:43pm] DesmondRavenstone: A Festivus for the rest of us!
[9:43pm] jokeefe: happy holidays!
[9:43pm] Malt: l'haim
[9:43pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:43pm] jokeefe: I’ll post the notes
[9:43pm] Pirate_Joe: ty sir