December 20th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Chelsea Manning Birthday Standout

Harvard Library Cryptoparty

Endorsements

Projects

Local Surveillance Ordinances

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign

  • srevilak updating website
  • jokeefe and ajames helping setup clinics
  • Email/post went out/up

Campaign Workshops

jokeefe & srevilak are running down some possible workshops:

  • Holyoke
  • Boston

Cryptoparties

Boston-area training at on 12/28. Working with e5 & others for one in January beyond the Somerville cryptoparty.

Starting Local Chapters

Gave list of local contacts to G. jokeefe will follow up.

Fundraising & Conference

Will send out a survey to pick the final date. See last meetings discussion for possible date options.

Projects On Hold For the Moment

Both of these could be topics for future hackathons.

CCTV Camera Map

Together Boston Meshnet

Upcoming Events

  1. 12/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Encuentro 5, 9A Hamilton Place, Boston
  2. 1/14, 2-4pm, Democracy/IT meeting, Arlington
  3. 1/25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty
  4. 1/?, ?, e5 cryptoparty
  5. 3/24, 3-5pm, Annoying Legislators for Freedom: A talk with Alex Marthews, National Director of Restore the 4th, Encuentro 5, 9A Hamilton Place, Boston
  6. 4/15, BSides Boston Conference, Harvard University - Science Center, 1 Oxford St, Cambridge, MA 02138. Call for Papers is open.

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • G (G. Lowell)

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • papegaai

Summary

Chelsea Manning standout. Good event, despite the cold and rainy weather. Steve and Jamie both spoke. We were able to drum up some interest for the 12/28 cryptoparty.

Havard Library Cryptoparty. The organizers set up a series of stations, and participants could move around between them. Might be nice to try this at one of our cryptoparties.

Local surveillance ordinances. Steve gave update on status of Arlington effort. Also a possibility for doing something in Somerville.

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign. Jamie did email distribution, re: recent efforts. MAAPL is currently running fight foreclosure clinics.

Local Organizing. G and Jamie working on local organizing efforts.

First night against the wars, Dec 31st, noon-5p, Copley Square.

Minutes

 
21:06 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/December_20th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:06 < jokeefe> ids
21:06 < papegaai> Title: December 20th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate
        Wiki (at masspirates.org)
21:06 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:07 < jokeefe> Anything to add to it?
21:07 < G> is me, G. Lowell.
21:08 < srevilak> steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:11 < jokeefe> Review - The Chelsea Manning standout went well
21:11 < jokeefe> for a cold rainy day
21:12 < srevilak> At least two people laughed at my joke.  That made
        me happy
21:12 < jokeefe> some pictures -
        https://twitter.com/masspirates/status/810188657441341440 and
        https://twitter.com/masspirates/status/810184790934700032
21:12 < papegaai> Title: Mass. Pirate Party op Twitter: "More out for
        @xychelsea on her birthday #FreeChelseaManning https://t.co/mw9n9xy2Fc"
        (at twitter.com)
21:13 < jokeefe> srevilak and I gave speeches. I recorded most of
        srevilak’s first one
21:13 < G> nice. looks frosty AF
21:14 < jokeefe> Told people about the cryptoparty on the 28th.
21:14 < jokeefe> one person was going to show up and wanted to know how
        to setup a vpn.
21:14 < jokeefe> another person asked if we would teach their group,
        give my contact info
21:16 < jokeefe> I attended a Harvard Library Cryptoparty yesterday. They
        had stations for different topics, instead of having one presenter at
        a time
21:16 < jokeefe> I thought it would be a good method to try
21:17 < srevilak> How many stations did they have?
21:17 < jokeefe> About six: Passwords, OpenVPN, Tor, and three others
21:18 < jokeefe> I talked with one guy about setting up his own OpenVPN
        for his family.
21:18 < srevilak> nice
21:20 < jokeefe> Andy was there as well.  Will debrief on the cryptoparty
        list.
21:21 < jokeefe> Projects
21:21 < jokeefe> Local Surveillance Ordinances
21:21 < srevilak> I have some updates
21:21 < jokeefe> great
21:21 < srevilak> Arlington town counsel has not made a decision regarding
        the viability of my proposed warrant article
21:21 < srevilak> So I went digging
21:21 < srevilak> And found this:
        https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleVII/Chapter40/Section21
21:21 < papegaai> Title: Section 21 (at malegislature.gov)
21:22 < srevilak> Spells out what kind of bylaws a town can enact
21:22 < srevilak> The way I read Ch 40 sec 21, a town couldn't make
        bylaw violations a misdemeanor
21:22 < srevilak> but the other stuff -- public comment, policies, reports
21:23 < srevilak> seems like should fall under Sec 21(1)
21:23 < srevilak> Earlier tonight, I wrote to town counsel to say as much.
        We'll see what he says
21:23 < srevilak> On the downside, my neighbor found more cameras around
        the block
21:23 < srevilak> We're up to 11.
21:23 < srevilak>
        https://www.srevilak.net/wiki/Surveillance_Cameras_in_Precinct_1
21:24 < papegaai> Title: Surveillance Cameras in Precinct 1 - srevilak.net
        (at www.srevilak.net)
21:24 < jokeefe> any idea whose they are?
21:24 < srevilak> they're all owned by the housing authority
21:24 < srevilak> none belong to arlington PD (according to arlington
        chief of police)
21:24 < srevilak> I've asked housing authority for policy documents,
        and they've been very silent on the issue
21:25 < srevilak> But they have a board meeting tomorrow night.  And it's
        a public meeting
21:25 < srevilak> hi Moses.  I'm yammering on about
        https://www.srevilak.net/wiki/Surveillance_Cameras_in_Precinct_1
21:25 < papegaai> Title: Surveillance Cameras in Precinct 1 - srevilak.net
        (at www.srevilak.net)
21:25 < srevilak> <end of update>
21:26 < jokeefe> I don’t understand. Those don’t look like they are
        part of the housing authority or are some of the smaller houses owned
        by them?
21:27 < srevilak> All of the houses in that block are owned by the
        housing authority
21:27 < jokeefe> ok
21:28 < jokeefe> On somerville’s ordinance, Alex has updated it,
        and has someone interested in working on it. need to check in
21:29 < srevilak> That's great
21:30 < jokeefe> Would you write up a blog post asking other Pirates to
        do this for their communities.  I could then put it in an email
21:30 < srevilak> I can do that
21:31 < jokeefe> thank you
21:31 < jokeefe> MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign
21:31 < jokeefe> Put up a blog post and emailed status on it
21:31 < jokeefe>
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2016/12/20/stop-banksters-from-stealing-peoples-homes/
21:31 < jokeefe> Looks like we have another clinic on the 29th.
21:32 < jokeefe> in Lynn
21:32 < jokeefe> 10 days left
21:32 < G> i thought you were gonna send me a list with their schedule
        last week so i could go to Lowell library to try to set them up? :(
21:32 < jokeefe> I added you to the google calendar
21:32 < jokeefe> IIRC
21:33 < G> oh goodness.... all my work accounts are linked together to
        my emails on Google
21:33 < jokeefe> Monday the 26th is open
21:33 < jokeefe> so is Friday, but that is a bit soon
21:34 < jokeefe> Would Monday work?
21:34 < G> the day after christmas? i think i'll be working
21:35 < jokeefe> evening?
21:35 < jokeefe> wait, you don’t have the day after XMas off?
21:35 < G> no i work for a living :P
21:35 < G> slaving for the man
21:35 < jokeefe> grrrrrr
21:37 < jokeefe> the library is probably closed on Monday anyway
21:37 < jokeefe> thanks
21:38 < G> :/
21:38 < jokeefe> no update on Campaign Workshops. Will check on Holyoke
        status
21:38 < G> not driving makes it hard to get around for this stuff
21:39 < jokeefe> No doubt
21:40 < jokeefe> Cryptoparties - One on 12/28 at e5. Have some leads on
        an additional one besides the next one in Somerville in January
21:40 < jokeefe> Starting Local Chapters - did you get the list G?
21:40 < G> yep so i got that list ! .......
21:41 < G> but so..... what you want me to tell these peeps, yo?
21:41 < jokeefe> they offered to start a local chapter
21:41 < jokeefe> 1. are they willing to do so
21:41 < jokeefe> 2. what help do they want
21:41 < jokeefe> 3. we can provide names and contact info
21:41 < jokeefe> 4. people to show up and talk
21:42 < G> wellllllll do we have any kinda.... guide or structure
        to offer?
21:42 < jokeefe> https://masspirates.org/wiki/Organizing_Guide
21:42 < papegaai> Title: Organizing Guide - Mass Pirate Wiki (at
        masspirates.org)
21:42 < jokeefe> https://masspirates.org/wiki/Organizing_Materials
21:42 < papegaai> Title: Organizing Materials - Mass Pirate Wiki (at
        masspirates.org)
21:43 < jokeefe> generally start small, keep events regular
21:43 < jokeefe> talk certainly, but do things
21:44 < jokeefe> does that work?
21:44 < srevilak> I recently came across https://www.indivisibleguide.com/
21:44 < papegaai> Title: Indivisible Guide (at www.indivisibleguide.com)
21:45 < srevilak> It's a guide to "resisting the trump agenda", but
21:45 < srevilak> there are some nice ideas for local organizing
21:45 < G> ok i was reading those first two... lemme look at that last
        one......
21:45 < jokeefe> thanks. Lincoln memorial statue is a nice touch
21:45 < G> i'm not worried about Trump. he's a national thing sillies
21:46 < G> we gotta take over our Commonwealth
21:46 < G> :D
21:46 < jokeefe> aye!
21:46 < jokeefe> srevilak, it wasn’t easy to get the list of people
        who wanted to organize their communities.  looks like that form entry
        does not correspond to a tag
21:47  * srevilak looks
21:48 < jokeefe> thanks
21:48 < srevilak> IIRC, it's a field rather than a tag
21:48 < jokeefe> was trying to create a smart group
21:48 < srevilak> Yes, it's a contact field called "Interested In"
21:49 < srevilak> The value you want is "Starting a pirate chapter in
        my city or town"
21:50 < srevilak> There's a smart group called "Volunteers"
21:51 < srevilak> A smart group for potential local organizers would be
        almost the same, just a different value for "interested in"
21:53 < jokeefe> I see it.
21:53 < jokeefe> thanks
21:54 < jokeefe> will create a new one
21:54 < jokeefe> Fundraising & Conference - working on survey.  will have
        it out before the end of the year.  leave it up for two weeks or more?
21:55 < srevilak> two weeks seems reasonable for a survey
21:57 < jokeefe> ok.
21:57 < jokeefe> that is all I have
21:57 < jokeefe> shall we adjourn?
21:57 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
21:58 < G> quick note and i'll email the activist list as well
21:58 < G> first night against the wars is Dec 31 at noon til 5
21:58 < G> at Copley
21:58 < G> and then i'm down to motion the adjourning :D
21:58 < srevilak> would we want to endorse?  (or perhaps save for
        next week?)
21:59 < G> i'll send it on the email list and it can be talked about
21:59 < srevilak> ok
22:00 < G> just a heads up. motion to adjourn now? :D
22:00 < jokeefe> ok, sounds good
22:00 < jokeefe> is there a write up we can post?
22:00 < G> umm i just was reminded about it a couple hours ago by Dan
        the Bagel Man
22:00 < G> it's an annual thing
22:00 < jokeefe> right
22:01 < G> https://www.facebook.com/events/623461181171435/
22:01 < papegaai> Title: First Night Against All Wars at home and abroad
2016 2017 (at www.facebook.com)
22:01 < jokeefe> thanks.
22:01 < jokeefe> lets put it on next weeks agenda
22:02 < jokeefe> 2nd the motion to adjourn
22:02 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:02 < G> aye
22:02 < srevilak> aye
22:02 < srevilak> will post transcript