December 23rd, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search



National Party Bylaw amendment

The Outreach committee of the National Party has proposed adding the several changes to the party bylaws. All non-controversial changes were approved.

jokeefe, acting as Rep. in place of the existing reps, objected to:

Article III, section 3, 7
Each delegation shall be treated equally in all matters with an exception in the matter of nominations for President and Vice-President of the United States, wherein each delegation shall have a vote in a national convention weighted by its population in millions rounded up to the next whole million. In the case of the delegation representing a constituency that has a primary election wherein the pirate party has state ballot status, the delegation shall allot its votes to candidates in proportion to the results of the state’s primary.

The reasons are:

  • By basing state delegations on state population rather than party members in a state, we are using an unrepresentative metric for allocating delegates;
  • We are not close enough to running candidates for President and Vice-President, so there is no pressing reason to enshrine this allocation formula. Rather we should wait until we have a larger number of active states.

The state party should weigh in on this issue and make a final decision as to how Massachusetts should vote on this issue.

The reasons for this change are that this is how other parties have allocated their delegations and state population is valid metric by which to allocate delegations.


Goals for Q1 2021:

  • Organize meetups
  • Revise platform
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 1/3/2021, 7pm unless changed

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Next meeting is Jan 9, 11am-1pm on-line

Surveillance Mapping

  • Come up with a how to instructions
    • Paper - done
    • iPhone - done
    • Android
  • Come up with how to videos

Regional Meetings/Events

In-person events, including outdoor events, on hold until COVID-19 numbers go down.

Leader: jokeefe


Boston Pride Festival

  • table booked
  • setup signup sheet
  • Announce
  • Need to purchase insurance
  • Need volunteer sign up form
  • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?


  • Free the Moderna Vaccine
    • Planning new event



  • EARN IT Act
  • PATRIOT Act renewal


  • Legislature extended session
  • Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
  • Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill

Computer donations

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Other To Do

  • Application to PPI
  • Post statement on Suit
  • Post statement on our opposition to S.4051 - Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act.

Tabled Projects

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
  • Sat., 1/9/2021, 11am-1pm, 'Democracy Meeting, on-line


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell


  • ChanServ
  • davidd
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • mikey
  • slerman


Post on the police reform bill

National Party Bylaw amendment: national is working on an improved version

No Pirate News recording on the 27th.



[9:06pm] jokeefe: Agenda:,_2020_IRC_Meeting
[9:06pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:06pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Anything we should add?
[9:06pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:07pm] Joe: Not really since it's a few days before the holidays.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: yeah, probably should have canceled this meeting too
[9:08pm] Joe: is there anyone else here?
[9:08pm] jokeefe: active - you and I based on the chat
[9:09pm] jokeefe: I posted on the police reform bill
[9:11pm] Joe: so basically the police can spy on everyone now.
[9:11pm] jokeefe: well slightly less than they could earlier
[9:11pm] jokeefe: only slightly
[9:12pm] Joe: I read that as the other way around.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: They need a court order to do a facial recognition search not a warrant and if it is an emergency, then they don’t even need that
[9:14pm] Joe: Even small victories are worth it. Warrants at least have a burden of proof for a judge to give them out.
[9:16pm] Joe: Sorry, slightly distracted.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: There are other changes that are good, but not having a facial recognition moratorium is bad
[9:19pm] jokeefe: On the National Party Bylaw amendment, Yari is working on an improved version
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Confirming that we aren’t recording Pirate News this Sunday.
[9:21pm] Joe: Still think it's putting the cart before the horse but whatever. If it keeps them happy...
[9:22pm] Joe: We can but honestly if we do it should be short and light hearted.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: I am fine taking a break. Will give me more time setting up the office
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Anyhow, that is all I have.
[9:24pm] Joe: ok. lets take this week off but I hope to post something short and sweet if I get a moment.
[9:24pm] jokeefe: by all means. please do
[9:24pm] Joe: Did you send anything over to the possible candidate?
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: hmmm....
[9:25pm] jokeefe: No, I haven’t. Better get on that.
[9:25pm] Joe: The flyers and such?
[9:25pm] Joe: That's all I have as well. 2nd to adjourn
[9:26pm] Joe: Happy holidays Jamie
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Happy holidays to you and yours