December 26th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Discussion

Informal Meeting.

Minutes

 


[9:00pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:02pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:02pm] tick is now known as AndyK.
[9:02pm] AndyK: ahoy
[9:02pm] Malt: Howdy y'all
[9:03pm] Malt: Howdy
[9:04pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:04pm] Malt: Happy Kwanzaa
[9:05pm] Malt: Umoja!
[9:05pm] Pirate_50190 joined the chat room.
[9:05pm] jokeefe: how is everyone?
[9:06pm] Pirate_50190: Ahoy!
[9:06pm] Pirate_50190: Cold
[9:06pm] Malt: Same
[9:06pm] Malt: Sick
[9:06pm] jokeefe: aye to that
[9:07pm] Pirate_50190: brb
[9:07pm] jokeefe: what would you all like to discuss?
[9:08pm] Pirate_50190: Funding ? 
[9:08pm] Pirate_50190 is now known as Joe.
[9:08pm] Malt: We need to get ahead of this poison pill net neutrality bill
[9:09pm] Joe: I think the next vid is on it. I have been having some trouble with my main pc so the vids were a bit challenging to get.
[9:09pm] jokeefe: municipal wifi
[9:10pm] jokeefe: not much we can do on the federal level, unfortunately, but can push for state laws as well
[9:11pm] Joe: Sadly, I think they will generally push that one down to the local level. But I would be happy to fight for it here in Lowell
[9:11pm] Malt: The FCC removed states ability to regulate Muni internet
[9:12pm] Malt: I've got the crypto party at the worcshop tomorrow
[9:12pm] jokeefe: as long as they cannot prevent it
[9:13pm] jokeefe: cool. I plan to make the one in January
[9:13pm] Malt: Wait no, next week, NVM
[9:13pm] Malt: It's not Jan yet
[9:14pm] Malt: Fundraiser idea, sell pirate braned USB sticks with OSS software?
[9:14pm] Malt: For a donation
[9:14pm] Joe: I did come up with something that I want to do. Do we have a batch of magnets that we can distribute?
[9:15pm] Joe: I would also like tee-shirts for a donation as well.
[9:16pm] Joe: The lower the cost the easier the donation.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: As long as we can verify that USB sticks don’t have viruses, that is fine
[9:17pm] Malt: Your friends in the fight for freedom
[9:17pm] Malt: The pirate party
[9:18pm] Malt: Hah, deliberately loading malware for disgruntled employees to unleash on corporate networks?
[9:18pm] Joe: oOo, that reminds me, I have a slogan I wanted to throw at you peoples.
[9:18pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:18pm] Malt: That's pirating at Max capacity
[9:18pm] Joe: I would not recommend that.
[9:18pm] Malt: Aw!
[9:18pm] Joe: Then we could be held for damages and that whole mess.
[9:19pm] Malt: Iirc there's already product s like that, protected from liability
[9:20pm] Malt: USB sticks that fry main boards
[9:20pm] Malt: Eh, anyway
[9:21pm] Joe: Anyways, the slogan I was thinking was...... "Mass Pirates, fighting for a real democracy!"
[9:21pm] jokeefe: yeah, not a good idea to fry people’s computers
[9:21pm] AndyK: haha
[9:22pm] Joe: Or instead of Mass pirates, The Pirate Party.
[9:22pm] Joe: Toasted computers make me sad, I break enough of them as it is, lol
[9:22pm] jokeefe: heh
[9:23pm] Joe: Though I do love a good frankiencomp 
[9:24pm] Joe: Do we have spare items we could slap on a webpage?
[9:24pm] jokeefe: It looks like a good slogan
[9:25pm] jokeefe: which spare items?
[9:25pm] Joe: Well, to be true to it, we should put it to a vote for the entire party.
[9:25pm] Joe: Like shirts, usbs or magnets it would seem.
[9:26pm] Joe: Though, as usual, I am open to many possiblities.
[9:30pm] Malt: We could do an e waste drive?
[9:30pm] Joe: I would be happy to support that.
[9:30pm] jokeefe: well, if someone(s) wants to work on it and get something that works, then we can determine how much we can put to expanding it
[9:31pm] Malt: That wouldn't cost much to setup, could charge people to come take their junk computers and laptops
[9:31pm] jokeefe: where do we put it when we have it?
[9:31pm] Malt: Boston metro, where our base is
[9:32pm] jokeefe: the ewaste?
[9:32pm] Joe: one of the companies I was planning to make was to process that, but there are a few options I could give you as well.
[9:32pm] Malt: Seems like y'all would have more e waste sites
[9:32pm] Joe: We need one in Lowell, the other guy just shut down.
[9:33pm] Malt: It would be a good way to get dead machines for the right to repair graveyard idea I had back in October
[9:33pm] jokeefe: I know that Somerville will take it
[9:33pm] Joe: It's a tough gig if you don't have the right equipment for the job due to the needed regulations for toxic disposal.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: What about other municipalities
[9:33pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:34pm] Malt: Yeah I think it's usually done in 3rd world countries by child slaves
[9:34pm] Malt: But we don't need to tell folks that
[9:34pm] Joe: We could look in to the cost to rent a box truck and make sure it goes to a proper disposal facility.
[9:35pm] Malt: If we're offering home pickup starting with one town seems smart
[9:35pm] Malt: Depending on turnout we might need many drivers
[9:36pm] Joe: I can see that growing in to an operation all by itself
[9:36pm] Malt: Obvs pickup is for stuff bigger than a phone
[9:37pm] Joe: True. Plus a lot of money can be made if done right.
[9:37pm] Joe: I was working on such a thing with a chemist in CA
[9:37pm] Joe: But got sidetracked with my current company
[9:38pm] Malt: I think a "suggested minimum donation" will help cover what it'll cost to get the junk processed
[9:38pm] Malt: Be nice if we find a place that'll cut a deal
[9:38pm] Joe: It's just a topic I happen to have done quite a bit of research already. I can send over some links if I get my main on soon.
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Perhaps start with what do different municipalities do with ewaste. Who takes it. What are the policies. etc.
[9:38pm] jokeefe: thanks for the links
[9:39pm] Joe: There is one even better, there is a registered list of proper disposal places already.  We could just do a public service announcement about them.
[9:39pm] Joe:
[9:39pm] jokeefe: http://www.electronicstakeback.com/how-to-recycle-electronics/
[9:40pm] jokeefe: PSA is good
[9:40pm] Malt: But the goal is to get folks to pay us to move it for them
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Esp. "Don’t forget to erase your data”
[9:40pm] Joe: Si
[9:41pm] Joe: Not everyone keeps a large collection of strong magnets like me!
[9:41pm] jokeefe: campaign finance laws make the a bit difficult. We aren’t exactly a business. Would need to form a 501c3.
[9:41pm] Malt: Really? It's just a bottle drive, but for computers
[9:42pm] Malt: I'm not saying we process it ourselves
[9:42pm] jokeefe: That said, I know a guy who rebuilds pcs to donate, so we could talk with him about what he needs and ask for donations
[9:42pm] Joe: If we had something that was passive that people could easily grab when it tickled their fancy. Anything else would have to done as a non-profit.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: He donates them to people with disabilities. He is part of the right of repair movement
[9:42pm] Joe: That sentince almost made sense.....
[9:43pm] Malt: That also works
[9:43pm] Malt: There's a faith group in worc that used to have a computer lab
[9:43pm] Joe: Yes, we could collect a bunch to donate but we have to walk a careful like if we are to be a political party. But I like the idea Malt
[9:44pm] jokeefe: So could do a PC donation drive. We advertise that we will be at X between Y and Z to take donated PCs. Then we bring them to him or other places that need them.
[9:44pm] Joe: If you are truly interested in this though I would be happy to share some of my notes on the topic and see if you are interested in such things.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Setup a web site for people to sign up. We email them when we can get it or when we will be somewhere near them.
[9:45pm] Malt: We can make the name be a joke about plunder
[9:45pm] jokeefe: As long as we are only the conduit for the reuse is fine. Don’t want sit on 20 pcs in my basement 
[9:45pm] Joe: Can we put that to a full party vote as well. I would like to know if the party things this would be something that is worth our time.
[9:46pm] jokeefe: aye, plunder be good, arrr
[9:46pm] Joe: Yarrrrr
[9:46pm] jokeefe: no need to vote, we just do it.
[9:46pm] Malt: Make it a spring cleaning deal
[9:46pm] Malt: Yeah, conduit
[9:46pm] Malt: Not hoarder
[9:46pm] jokeefe: spring cleaning gives us time to get things in order
[9:47pm] jokeefe: I like it
[9:47pm] Joe: If they work, I also have a place in Lowell we can donate them as well.
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Jan. find places to take the computers.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: Feb. set up the procedures and test web site
[9:48pm] jokeefe: Mar. trial run
[9:48pm] jokeefe: Apr. put into production
[9:48pm] jokeefe: who is lead?
[9:49pm] Joe: I vote you lead this!
[9:49pm] jokeefe: I vote I don’t lead it. better to distribute leadership
[9:49pm] Joe: But it would fall under fund raising so it's prob going to be me....
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Also - https://www.consumerreports.org/recycling/how-to-recycle-electronics/
[9:50pm] Malt: I can setup a  request form
[9:50pm] Malt: pickup
[9:50pm] Joe: Though lots of help would be very much appreicated since that is the start of the busy season with my current company.
[9:50pm] jokeefe: could have flyers for cleaning your disks and even classes on such topics during pickup times
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Perhaps you could lead with the aim of finding others to take over when it gets busy?
[9:51pm] Joe: Actually, have it one week after the fact for each area so it will drive attendance.
[9:51pm] Malt: Should we aim for 3 scheduled drop-off locations on the big day?
[9:52pm] Joe: Lolz Jamie. That was my plan for my current company and so far I'm still doing everything.
[9:52pm] jokeefe: I understand.
[9:52pm] Malt: Find 3 places across the city people can come to during set times
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Not sure we have the people to do more than one a week
[9:53pm] Malt: I was expecting this to take place on a Sunday
[9:54pm] jokeefe: Suggest it be in the afternoon
[9:54pm] jokeefe: if on Sunday
[9:54pm] Joe: I am still planning on doing the Video on Sundays
[9:54pm] Malt: I'm thinking this happens once
[9:54pm] Joe: So I have to give that the axe if I'm leading it.
[9:55pm] Joe: Yeah, but we are making such little progess with the vid, I would like to continue to have time for it planned on that day. Esp if we want to gain a following.
[9:55pm] Malt: Ok so Saturday
[9:56pm] jokeefe: I can work on the videos.
[9:56pm] Joe: We should put that to a vote in the very least.
[9:56pm] Joe: I will need you for the next one sir.
[9:57pm] Malt: Let's focus on finding donation sites before picking dates
[9:57pm] jokeefe: I setup https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations. Let’s work out the details and then we can worry about who leads it
[9:58pm] Malt: We're running short on time
[9:58pm] jokeefe: When do you want to record the net neutrality video?
[9:58pm] Joe: O, I thought we were talking about the Pirate Merch project.
[9:58pm] Malt: New year's Eve is busy for me
[9:58pm] Joe: If not this Sunday then next. I still need to get the date over to the other gent.
[9:59pm] jokeefe: We have some merch at https://www.zazzle.com/MassPirates
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Sunday the 6th is fine
[10:00pm] Joe: Ok, great,
[10:00pm] Joe: It will still have to be close to 7. I will have another room ready to go.
[10:01pm] Joe: If we have time, we can do a second on the merch as well.
[10:01pm] jokeefe: Sure
[10:02pm] Malt: I hope to make it
[10:02pm] jokeefe: Well, if we do google hangout, then it should be easier.
[10:02pm] Malt: I'll be ready for work when the mucus stops
[10:02pm] jokeefe: hope you get well soon
[10:02pm] Joe: ^
[10:02pm] jokeefe: what do you want to bring up about merch, Joe?
[10:02pm] Malt: I'm sick as hell y'all
[10:02pm] Malt: Got the man flu real bad
[10:03pm] jokeefe: BTW: I have someone who can make us flags. Will follow up with him.
[10:03pm] Malt: I have a flagpole in need of a flag
[10:03pm] AndyK: Same
[10:03pm] Joe: Ok, we should do USB drives as well, I think they would be popular as well
[10:04pm] Joe: as well as well
[10:05pm] Malt: Load them with security tutorials
[10:07pm] Malt: Sell knowledge and the world assumes you're an expert
[10:08pm] Malt: Anything else?
[10:08pm] jokeefe: If we can get them cheaply and make sure they don’t infect people, it sounds good to me.
[10:08pm] Malt: Dug the new star wars
[10:08pm] jokeefe: my son liked it
[10:08pm] Joe: We could format them to make sure.
[10:09pm] jokeefe: that would help, but I am not sure that would be enough. perhaps Steve or folks on the cryptoparty list have ideas
[10:10pm] jokeefe: So it sounds good, but we need to work out the details.
[10:10pm] jokeefe: We are over time. Let’s continue discussion on the email list?
[10:10pm] Malt: Step one, don't use Alibaba
[10:10pm] Malt: Aye
[10:11pm] Joe: Aye
[10:11pm] jokeefe: lol
[10:11pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:11pm] jokeefe: thanks you all. have a wonderful night!
[10:12pm] jokeefe: Posting minutes at https://masspirates.org/wiki/December_26th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
[10:13pm] Joe: You as well. Good night. Hope you feel better Malt, call me when you do.