December 5th, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

  1. Upcoming Events
    1. 12/14, December CryptoParty, Versus News
  2. Support Outreach & Fundraising
    1. 12/28 Fundraiser Status
    2. Phone banking
  3. 2014 Campaign
    1. Campaign Training
    2. Voter registration app?
    3. Platform
  4. Other events


Participants

  • davidd
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Arlington)
  • js0000 (johnny saylor: waltham)
  • Igel (William Fleurant, Arlington)
  • Bluestreak
  • shep

Observers:

  • Gizah
  • passstab
  • zby_

Summary

Versus News cryptoparty seems to be in good shape.

Arisia. Jan 17-20.

Dec 28th fundraiser. Need to check availability of funds for food, etc. Kendra has flyer for the event.

Campaign training. Jamie working on location and date. Likely in eastern MA, sometime in January. Then Western Mass in Feb. Worcester in March. Maybe eastern MA again in April.

Meeting Minutes


[9:01pm] jokeefe: Agenda - http://masspirates.org/wiki/December_5th,_2013_IRC_Meeting
[9:01pm] jokeefe: Ahoy srevilak
[9:01pm] srevilak: hi all
[9:02pm] Kendra: Hey, how's everyone doing?  Hope all is well. 
[9:02pm] jokeefe: ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
[9:02pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
[9:02pm] Kendra: Kendra Moyer, Arlington
[9:02pm] jokeefe: be fine, I be
[9:02pm] js0000: johnny saylor: waltham
[9:03pm] Igel: William Fleurant, Arlington
[9:04pm] Bluestreak joined the chat room.
[9:04pm] Bluestreak: Howday y'all
[9:04pm] js0000: hola
[9:04pm] jokeefe: arrr, Bluestreak
[9:04pm] Bluestreak: Evenin' Capn
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Would anyone like to add something to the agenda?
[9:05pm] Bluestreak: Meep
[9:05pm] Bluestreak: Arisia
[9:06pm] Bluestreak: Jan 17-20
[9:06pm] jokeefe: ok, under Events it goes
[9:06pm] jokeefe: 1. Upcoming Events
[9:06pm] Bluestreak: Jason and I are attmpting to arrange a room
[9:06pm] Bluestreak: Questions is: open party or closed?
[9:06pm] Kendra: Did you all see the invitation I made for 12/28?
[9:06pm] jokeefe: have a post up on 12/14, Versus News CryptoParty
[9:07pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:07pm] Bluestreak: No Kendra where is that pls?
[9:07pm] jokeefe: srevilak / Kendra - does Versus News need anything for the Cryptoparty
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:08pm] Kendra: I sent it to the activists list.  So as far as Vs goes, I do not beleive they need anything. 
[9:08pm] srevilak: jokeefe: I don't think so (vs news & cryptoparty)
[9:08pm] srevilak: Kendra: very artistic flyer
[9:08pm] jokeefe: ok, great
[9:09pm] Bluestreak: IDK why I didn't get it. Can you send it to me again?
[9:09pm] davidd: we are currently looking into getting subsidy from the city of amsterdam for our cryptoparties
[9:09pm] srevilak: Hmmm - at some point we should start using @masspirates.org addresses.  One of these days
[9:09pm] Bluestreak: Awesome
[9:09pm] davidd: as a service to the public
[9:09pm] jokeefe: good luck davidd
[9:09pm] Kendra: I might grab some snacks, there's a Whole foods right there.
[9:09pm] srevilak: davidd: that's great news
[9:09pm] davidd: i was just throwing it in here as an idea
[9:09pm] js0000: amsterdam MA?
[9:09pm] Bluestreak: Any $ in the coffers for food?
[9:10pm] Bluestreak: No Netherlands
[9:10pm] js0000: helping us in MA
[9:10pm] davidd: look into possible subsidies for your cryptoparties
[9:10pm] js0000: wow- that's pretty progressive
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Bluestreak would you talk about your plans for Arisia?
[9:10pm] Bluestreak: Well I need to fill out another form
[9:10pm] Bluestreak: but I have to decide open party or closed
[9:11pm] Bluestreak: open, we can flyer can't serve booze
[9:11pm] jokeefe: what is the difference?
[9:11pm] Bluestreak: closed invite only (harder to spread the word) can serve booze
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Fruit Grog then?
[9:11pm] js0000: can we encourage people to bring flasks?
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Pirates believe in openness
[9:12pm] davidd: cant you cheat the system by having a 5 minute event in the middle
[9:12pm] davidd: where you close the bar
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: the door has to be closed or open dependingon type top
[9:12pm] davidd: which allows you to flyer
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: too
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: open
[9:12pm] js0000: pirates have got to be open
[9:12pm] js0000: right?
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: flyer within the hotel only
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: Want to vote?
[9:12pm] js0000: can we have a bong instead ... ?
[9:12pm] Kendra: People should handle their own booze.  There might be a lot of younger people hanging out.  Or BYOB and be discreet. 
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: always, john
[9:13pm] js0000: and then we can be open too ...
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: isk even know if we can SAY byob
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: idk
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: not isk
[9:13pm] Kendra: It can be implied
[9:13pm] jokeefe: not vote, we leave it to you
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: sounds like ppl like open
[9:13pm] davidd: will the hotel allow "bring your own beverage" ?
[9:13pm] jokeefe: though that would be my choice
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: I do too we were thinking open house style
[9:14pm] Bluestreak: we could take turns keeping the room open.
[9:14pm] Bluestreak: feedin ppl snacks and schwag
[9:14pm] Bluestreak: selling Piracy
[9:14pm] Bluestreak: In costume of course.
[9:15pm] jokeefe: aye!
[9:15pm] Bluestreak: OK I will finish the process after the meeting
[9:15pm] Bluestreak: We would like a healthy crew to man the stations
[9:15pm] Bluestreak: so that Jason and I can see the rest of the con, too...
[9:16pm] Bluestreak: otherwise we might just shut down for a few hours to look around
[9:16pm] jokeefe: I'll be there.  you thinking the entire con?  long time to have it open
[9:16pm] Kendra: You could just have the word on the street be certain times
[9:17pm] js0000: btw- flyer is awesome, nice colors
[9:17pm] jokeefe: or go around and tell people the Pirate Ship is landing now
[9:17pm] js0000: but font seems not so pirate-y
[9:17pm] Kendra: Thanks
[9:17pm] js0000: not a big deal
[9:17pm] js0000: just a small thought
[9:17pm] Bluestreak: Yeah it is a long time. Jason gets very ambitious with his ideas
[9:17pm] Kendra: I am flexible, i already caught an error, the meeting space moved to the 2nd floor
[9:18pm] Bluestreak: I LOVE it
[9:18pm] Bluestreak: just adorable
[9:19pm] Kendra: I want to put the MPP logo in the lower left corner too.
[9:19pm] jokeefe: anything else?
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Bluestreak
[9:19pm] jokeefe: good idea Kendra
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Will send you a copy to use
[9:19pm] Bluestreak: yes well...
[9:19pm] jokeefe: fire when ready, Bluestreak
[9:20pm] Bluestreak: We have a reservation in the main hotel...
[9:20pm] Kendra: I can start on my update for 12/28
[9:20pm] Kendra: Sorry Blue
[9:20pm] Bluestreak: and our party room (NP K) may end up being in the overflow hotel...
[9:21pm] Bluestreak: but we might be able to switch... you always get more traffic in the con hotel
[9:21pm] shep joined the chat room.
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Ahoy shep
[9:21pm] Bluestreak: Things I have to work out with the party czar.
[9:21pm] Bluestreak: mostly all I needed from y'all was open vs closed so if I come up with other issues...
[9:22pm] Bluestreak: I will send them to the list
[9:22pm] jokeefe: shep - agenda and minutes so far at http://masspirates.org/wiki/December_5th,_2013_IRC_Meeting
[9:22pm] jokeefe: ok, thanks Bluestreak
[9:22pm] jokeefe: moving to 2. Support Outreach & Fundraising
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Kendra - would you update us on 12/28 Fundraiser Status?
[9:23pm] Igel: hi shep
[9:23pm] Kendra: Billed it as a fancy dress party
[9:23pm] Bluestreak: ++
[9:23pm] Kendra: Speaking to a (fusion reggaeish) band, may need assistance finding a DJ or recruit a Pirate to help.
[9:24pm] Kendra: I wrote my notes down so I'm pasting over, bear with me.
[9:24pm] Bluestreak: Chance will rap (and DJ) lmme put you in touch with him
[9:24pm] Kendra: Finger food or small dinner.  Combo of light stuff and/and order pizza.
[9:24pm] Bluestreak: I dropped the ball with him cause I been focused on getting surgery scheduled
[9:24pm] Kendra: Thank you cards and stuff:  Decor:  https://catchmyparty.com/blog/free-pirate-birthday-party-printables-from-printabelle
[9:24pm] Bluestreak: Do we have money in the pirate coffers for food?
[9:25pm] Kendra: I would like to have the cards to thank those who donate on the spot and give them some type of tax exemption information form with the thank you card from donors.
[9:25pm] Kendra: We can talk about $$ in person preferably or I'll call you.
[9:25pm] Bluestreak: Cool!
[9:25pm] srevilak: Kendra: we're not a tax exempt org.  Sorry
[9:25pm] Bluestreak: Not me!
[9:25pm] Bluestreak: I'm not the quartermaster!
[9:26pm] Kendra:  Budget: Food, Utensils (if you have party stuff on hand lets do that), Paying the Band, Printing paper invites (not a lot), printing paper thank you notes and any relevant literature
[9:26pm] Bluestreak: That "Cool" was about the clip art
[9:26pm] Bluestreak: Chance said he will work gratis
[9:26pm] Kendra: Current Issues: I will talk to you guys in private about some issues I have been having with Vs.  Hopefully nothing too serious.
[9:26pm] srevilak: Kendra: I'll check fund availablity and get back to you later
[9:27pm] Kendra: For fun: rejected graphics :  http://www.pinterest.com/pin/127860076891580331/  www.amazon.com/Booty-Pirate-Distressed-Vintage-Tin/dp/B0013XZANU%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIAA4MWUJXHBYFRNQ%26tag%3Dsquidooa94503-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0013XZANU  http://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/MjAxMy0xZmI1NjZkNDFmMWNhMjIw
[9:27pm] Kendra: That's about it
[9:27pm] Bluestreak: I posted that slogan on Jamie's FB page! (He didn't notice)
[9:28pm] Kendra: That captain one needs to be used at some point
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Thanks, Kendra.  I can help with budget or anything else that needs done. 
[9:28pm] Bluestreak: Let's get him a T shirt!
[9:28pm] js0000: boxers!
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Like the flyer, though we need a poster 8 1/2x 11 version.  I'll email suggestions on it.
[9:28pm] js0000:
[9:28pm] Bluestreak: LOL No something I will get to SEE
[9:29pm] js0000: that's betwen you and him [and spouces]
[9:29pm] Bluestreak: LOL
[9:29pm] Bluestreak: T shirt
[9:29pm] Bluestreak: Sorry sir
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: Pirates like their revelry.
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Next: Phone banking: We need to turn out pirates to the fundraiser.  Calling over the next two weeks would be good.
[9:30pm] js0000: exactly- boxers!
[9:30pm] Kendra: It's interesting looking for appropriate graphics how much we have in common with 6 year olds
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: Hee hee!
[9:30pm] js0000: kendra: maybe that can be a good thing ...
[9:31pm] Bluestreak: Well, just listen to our juvenile antics at IRC!
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Either distribute the list and have people call or organize a calling party.
[9:31pm] Bluestreak: I can call.
[9:31pm] Kendra: Oh, we might want to approach local breweries for a donation for the 28th, i will look around
[9:31pm] Bluestreak: I am going to focus this month on things I can do from home
[9:31pm] jokeefe: cannot get donations
[9:32pm] jokeefe: from corps
[9:32pm] Kendra: Vs got a big donation from some brewery
[9:32pm] Kendra: dammit
[9:32pm] Kendra: nevermind
[9:32pm] Bluestreak: Could we if we changed our tax status...
[9:32pm] Bluestreak: or something?
[9:32pm] jokeefe: well if VS wants to sell brews. ...
[9:32pm] shep: I can call nights and weekends
[9:32pm] Bluestreak: Cool, shep!
[9:32pm] jokeefe: thanks step & Bluestreak
[9:33pm] jokeefe: not sure we have your current contact info, shep
[9:34pm] Bluestreak: Can we *have* your current contact info shep?
[9:35pm] shep: 617.657.4379 shep.ex@gmail.com p.o. box #1 No. Quincy 02171
[9:35pm] Bluestreak: TYVM
[9:35pm] Kendra: I'm sorry shep, did you check in?  I don't know your name.
[9:35pm] shep: forwards to my work phone. may not answer 9-5
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Thanks, shep.  Was going to suggest you send it to us encrypted
[9:35pm] js0000: dunno if you want to purge contact info from posted minutes or not ...
[9:35pm] Bluestreak: Wait you have PO box 1? In Quincy!?!
[9:36pm] Bluestreak: How does one manage that?
[9:36pm] shep: Marc Shepard quincy mass cheers
[9:36pm] Kendra: thanks
[9:36pm] jokeefe: thanks, shep
[9:36pm] shep: luck o the draw
[9:36pm] Bluestreak: I like yer luck matey
[9:37pm] jokeefe: calling party or leave it to folks. later is probably easier.
[9:38pm] Bluestreak: How would we coordinate latter?
[9:39pm] jokeefe: divide up the list, then follow up with the callers to check on progress
[9:39pm] Bluestreak: set some sort of deadline?
[9:39pm] jokeefe: 21st
[9:39pm] jokeefe: or 22nd
[9:39pm] Bluestreak: ... OK
[9:41pm] jokeefe: 2014 Campaign
[9:41pm] jokeefe: next
[9:42pm] zby joined the chat room.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Still working on Campaign Training location and date - 1st in January
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Eastern MA
[9:43pm] zby_ left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 260 seconds)
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Then one a month - WMass Feb, Worcester in Mar.  EMass in Apr. if need be
[9:43pm] srevilak: jokeefe: that sounds great
[9:44pm] srevilak: can't wait to go 
[9:44pm] Bluestreak: Where in WMass?
[9:44pm] Bluestreak: Got a venue in mind?
[9:44pm] jokeefe: not yet.  Will ask ageis or WMass college contacts.  Doesn't have to be a pirate event.
[9:45pm] Bluestreak: I bet Dave would let us use his place.
[9:45pm] Bluestreak: Holyoke is a hot bed of politics, too.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Would need to use the basement, I think
[9:46pm] Bluestreak: Aren't you glad you cased the joint?
[9:47pm] jokeefe:
[9:47pm] jokeefe: js0000 - on Voter registration app. may first updated the OS to version 7 recently.  might that help since rails/ruby are newer?
[9:47pm] js0000: yeah it might
[9:47pm] Igel: u workin on it js?
[9:47pm] js0000: i just got a heroku account to start on that part
[9:48pm] js0000: yes i am working
[9:48pm] js0000: slowly
[9:48pm] js0000: i think i'm going to try on the mac i have at work
[9:48pm] js0000: since freebsd seems to be a bust with this
[9:48pm] js0000: i thought i could install right on heroku
[9:48pm] jokeefe: hopefully
[9:48pm] js0000: but i think i need to install locally than upload
[9:48pm] js0000: i don't know much about heroku
[9:48pm] js0000: but i will learn
[9:49pm] js0000: as i know how to read documentation
[9:49pm] jokeefe: ++
[9:49pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:49pm] Igel: hmm
[9:49pm] js0000: igel- if you want to jump in
[9:49pm] js0000: jump in
[9:49pm] js0000: at this point, i have a lot of troubles starting ...
[9:50pm] js0000: well, not really troubles, just obstacles
[9:50pm] js0000: but i'll keep making progress
[9:50pm] jokeefe: lets talk over email, if you can help lgel that would be great
[9:50pm] js0000: i think moving to the mac will help get it going
[9:50pm] Igel: whats the framework around the app?
[9:50pm] jokeefe: hopefully
[9:50pm] js0000: rails
[9:50pm] Igel: hmm
[9:51pm] js0000: also, i don't really have access to mayfirst
[9:51pm] js0000: although i may have once upon a time
[9:51pm] js0000: maybe i'll coordinate through srevilak
[9:51pm] srevilak: js0000: ok by me
[9:52pm] Bluestreak: How hard is it to get access to Mayfirst?
[9:52pm] js0000: i think it's just my memory
[9:52pm] js0000: i just need to refresh it
[9:52pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: pretty easy.  Just need ssh public key
[9:52pm] jokeefe: lets take this to email
[9:52pm] Igel: im sorry i cant be much help js..
[9:53pm] Bluestreak: I was done
[9:53pm] js0000: igel: np
[9:53pm] jokeefe: NP Bluestreak
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Platform - thanks to js0000 for the docs on using git
[9:53pm] • js0000 blushes
[9:54pm] Bluestreak: Yes, thanks.
[9:54pm] jokeefe: if folks would fill out the poll for the dec meeting that would be great http://doodle.com/65nwxwzg83ep6aiz
[9:54pm] jokeefe: we could switch it to video chat
[9:55pm] js0000: i like text
[9:55pm] js0000: but that could be just me ...
[9:55pm] Bluestreak: Switch what to video chat?
[9:56pm] davidd: http://www.popularresistance.org/heres-how-the-corporations-defeat-political-movements/
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: jokeefe?
[9:56pm] jokeefe: was thinking that would get more people involved.
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: What would, I'm not following
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: ?
[9:56pm] jokeefe: could do weekly IRC if folks want
[9:57pm] jokeefe: video chat
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: With Jitsy?
[9:58pm] jokeefe: could
[9:58pm] js0000: is there any evidence that video chat would increase participation?
[9:58pm] js0000: i don't know
[9:58pm] Bluestreak: I'm all for that but you know me... talking over folks (Hangs head)
[9:58pm] js0000: not trying to block anything
[9:58pm] jokeefe: no evidence … yet
[9:58pm] js0000: might be worth a try
[9:59pm] js0000: we can find out ...
[9:59pm] jokeefe: or could just do another IRC chat ...
[10:00pm] Bluestreak: I like trying new things
[10:00pm] js0000: anything to get more pirates is good
[10:00pm] jokeefe: davidd, how have you all been writing your platform?
[10:01pm] davidd: we stick to our guns
[10:01pm] davidd: we have our core issues
[10:01pm] davidd: and try to see how each affects different policies
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: We've only had the one platform meeting and my husband and I missed it... oops
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: (Also not sure I can make it in Dec... waiting for surgery date)
[10:02pm] davidd: getting any real change always requires a three pronged attack
[10:02pm] • Igel looking at poll
[10:02pm] davidd: the activists, the grassroots and the political side
[10:03pm] Kendra: I wanted to pipe in about the phone bank and say we might want to think about a script of some sort.  Sorry, i had to take a call.  I have done a lot of cold calling and it is an art.
[10:03pm] davidd: we have to work on all three for now
[10:03pm] Bluestreak: We had a script
[10:03pm] Kendra: Can I get a copy?
[10:03pm] Bluestreak: send to the list
[10:03pm] Bluestreak: sent
[10:03pm] Bluestreak: I will look hold on
[10:03pm] shep: I have only done warm calling which is what we'll be doing
[10:03pm] Kendra: thank you
[10:04pm] jokeefe: agreed, Kendra, call script is needed
[10:04pm] davidd: one thing that can help amazingly is spreak your stuff amongst members using p2p
[10:04pm] davidd: stuff like such a callscript
[10:04pm] Kendra: We might also want to train or role play cold calls on Jitsi or something.
[10:04pm] Kendra: before we do it for real
[10:04pm] jokeefe: good idea!
[10:06pm] Bluestreak: Check ur email
[10:06pm] Kendra: If you can get through to difficult people or practice with someone being difficult it helps a lot.
[10:06pm] Bluestreak: Practice on me LOL
[10:06pm] Kendra: i still have ptsd from calling people
[10:06pm] jokeefe: agreed
[10:06pm] Igel: hehe
[10:07pm] jokeefe: we are at time - any other events upcoming?
[10:07pm] davidd: so Bluestreak or anyone else
[10:07pm] Kendra: Just spoke with vs news folks and our 2 event dates are stable and reserved,, which is good
[10:08pm] davidd: put that script in a document that you can attach
[10:08pm] davidd: have people save it in their "pirates stuff" folder
[10:08pm] davidd: add a datestamp to the filename
[10:08pm] Bluestreak: Thanks, davidd
[10:08pm] davidd: so you can send out updated version
[10:08pm] Bluestreak:
[10:09pm] Bluestreak: Move to adjorn
[10:09pm] Kendra: 2nd
[10:09pm] js0000: second
[10:09pm] srevilak: aye
[10:09pm] Bluestreak: aye
[10:09pm] Kendra: aye
[10:09pm] shep: aye
[10:09pm] Igel: aye
[10:09pm] js0000 left the chat room. (l8r)
[10:09pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:09pm] jokeefe: motion passes
[10:09pm] Kendra: All right, nite everyone.
[10:09pm] Bluestreak: Good night ma peeps
[10:10pm] jokeefe: thanks all!
[10:10pm] Kendra left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)
[10:10pm] davidd:  http://www.popularresistance.org/heres-how-the-corporations-defeat-political-movements/
[10:10pm] Igel: l8rz
[10:10pm] Igel left the chat room. (Quit: ZNC - http://znc.sourceforge.net)
[10:10pm] Bluestreak: I was reading that David
[10:10pm] srevilak: davidd: thanks for the article
[10:10pm] Bluestreak: good article
[10:10pm] shep left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)