December 6th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Endorsements

Projects

Local Surveillance Ordinances

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign

  • srevilak updating website
  • jokeefe helping with data & getting the word out
  • ajames working on finding a location for a Somerville training

Campaign Workshops

Audio files posted

jokeefe & srevilak are running down some possible workshops:

  • Holyoke
  • Boston

Cryptoparties

Boston-area training at on 12/28. Working with e5 & others for one in January beyond the Somerville cryptoparty.

Starting Local Chapters

Fundraising

CCTV Camera Map

Together Boston Meshnet

Upcoming Events

  1. 12/10, noon, James will appear on The Show With BS, by Beyond the Horizon Radio Network
  2. 12/10, 2-4pm, Democracy/IT meeting, Arlington
  3. 12/17, 1-2pm, Chelsea Manning's Birthday, Park St., Boston
  4. 12/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Location TBA

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • moses (Moses, West Tisbury)
  • G (Garret, Lowell)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, arlington)

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • papegaaai
  • Velveeta_Chef

Summary

Local Surveillance Ordinances. Steve collected minutes from Cambridge City Council, and Santa Clara FGOC. Will attempt to turn these into a warrant article for presentation in Arlington.

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure campaign. Trying to reach 70,000 (potential) vicitims of illegal foreclosure between now and the end of the December. Jamie is helping to publicize the effort. Steve doing tech work. All crossing fingers, and hoping it all comes together.

Campaign Workshops. First two audio files posted. Working on additional trainings in Jan/Feb.

Cryptoparties. Dec 30th Digital Privacy 101 was well attended. At least 30 people. Looking for a venue to hold 12/28 meeting.

Minutes

 
21:06 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/December_6th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:06 < papegaai> Title: December 6th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:06 < moses> I wanted them to let me do a talk on housing some
        intersting open source project designs
21:06 < jokeefe> do you have a place?
21:07 < jokeefe> ids
21:07 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:07 < moses> Moses,
21:07 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:07 < moses> west tisbury
21:07 < G> Garret, Lowell
21:08 < jokeefe> anything to add to the agenda?
21:09 < G> nay
21:09 < srevilak>  nothing here
21:09 < moses> nay
21:10 < jokeefe> Did anyone go to the Boston City Council meeting
        on Monday?
21:10 < srevilak> I have an agenda item - Local Surveillance Legislation
21:10 < jokeefe> sounds good
21:11  * srevilak added it to agenda
21:11 < jokeefe> thanks
21:12 < jokeefe> skipping to Projects
21:12 < jokeefe> Local Surveillance Legislation
21:12 < srevilak> okay, I'll go
21:12 < srevilak> I've collected minutes from the cambridge city council
21:13 < srevilak> as well as minutes from Santa Clara county FGOP,
        who debated a similar piece of legislation
21:13 < srevilak> Along with the legislative proposals, they also contain
        actions by the respective bodies
21:14 < srevilak> Over the next few days, I'm going to summarize that
        in a warrant article
21:14 < srevilak> And send to Arlington's town counsel
21:14 < srevilak> After counsel review, there's signature gathering,
        and submitting as a proposal
21:14 < srevilak> Warrant opened today.
21:15 < srevilak> Proposals have to reviewed, signatures, gathered,
        and turned in by 1/27
21:15 < jokeefe> how many signatures do you need and who can sign?
21:15 < srevilak> Ten signatures needed, from registered voters in
        arlington
21:15 < jokeefe> thanks
21:16 < srevilak> I'm planning to write a general article, and supply
        sample legislation as addenda
21:16 < srevilak> Having actual proposals from Cambridge and Santa Clara
        should help
21:16 < srevilak> I hope
21:17 < srevilak> I'll send warrant text when I have it
21:17 < srevilak> (end of updates)
21:17 < srevilak> (end of update)
21:17 < jokeefe> sounds good. we could possibly use the text with
        Somerville
21:18 < jokeefe> thanks
21:18 < jokeefe> MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign
21:18 < jokeefe> MAAPL is trying to contact 70000 people who were
        foreclosed on and see if they can contest it
21:19 < jokeefe> have until 12/30 to get paperwork submitted
21:19 < jokeefe> Will get email out this week
21:20 < srevilak> I'm still crossing my fingers
21:20 < srevilak> Realistically, I'll have 1--2 hours/week to continue
        working on the project.
21:20 < srevilak> I hope that's enough to make it work in time
21:21 < jokeefe> hopefully. thank you
21:22 < jokeefe> Campaign Workshops
21:23 < jokeefe> srevilak posted the first two audio files. thanks
21:23 < srevilak> NP
21:23 < srevilak> audio file #3 will go up this weekend
21:23 < jokeefe> thanks
21:24 < jokeefe> working on trainings in Holyoke and Boston, and Salem
        hopefully in Jan/Feb.
21:26 < jokeefe> Cryptoparties
21:26 < jokeefe> The digital privacy 101 workshops on the 30th were
        well attended
21:26 < jokeefe> I counted at least 30 people
21:27 < srevilak> Wow, that's great
21:27 < jokeefe> which is 3 times bigger than it usually is
21:27 < jokeefe> looking for a place for the 12/28 meeting
21:28 < jokeefe> hopefully an additional workshop in Jan. at e5
21:30 < jokeefe> I don’t have an update on any of the other topics
        unfortunately
21:30 < jokeefe> two events coming up:
21:30 < jokeefe> 12/10, 1-3pm, Democracy/IT meeting, Arlington
21:30 < jokeefe> 12/17, Chelsea Manning's Birthday, 1-2pm, Park St.,
        Boston
21:30 < srevilak> jokeefe: 2-4pm Democracy Meeting, no?
21:31 < jokeefe> yes, thanks
21:34 < jokeefe> that’s all I have
21:36 < srevilak> nothing else from me
21:37 < G> nope nothing. i'm just here. :( :P
21:37 < srevilak> G: glad to have you here :)
21:37 < jokeefe> shall we adjourn?
21:37 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
21:37 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:37 < G> second
21:37 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:37 < G> aye
21:37 < srevilak> aye
21:37 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:38 < jokeefe> aye
21:38 < jokeefe> thanks