February 12th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

H.2419 went to study.

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Goals for Q1 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings/Events

Leader: jokeefe

  • Boston (jokeefe) - Looking for space
  • Worcester (Malt)

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday?

Computer Donations

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Next meeting will be 3/8, 2-4pm, Mr Crêpe, 51 Davis Sq, Somerville. Topics are:

  • find discussion/voting system;
  • update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
  • write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).

Tabled Projects

National Party

Boston Sex Worker Petition

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 2/18, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  • 2/25, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 3/8, 2pm-4pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Mr Crêpe, 51 Davis Sq, Somerville
  • 3/7, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Culture House, Harvard Square
  • 3/14, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • Spring 2020, ?, Boston Meetup
  • Spring 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Spring 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
  • 4/29, 7-9pm, Boston Cryptoparty, Encuentro 5, Boston

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Pirate_Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)

Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy

Summary

Film tax credit bill went out to study. Means it won't come up for a vote this term.

Regional Meetings. Joe would like to have an April meeting in Lowell. Joe will try to book the library. We're planning on 10:00--14:00, March 21st.

Next Pirate news: Sunday 6pm.

Computer Donations. Pirate Joe interested in doing a computer drive for the wish foundation

Plaform Discussion. Hope to have a new platform ready in the next six month.

Minutes

 
21:02 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_12th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:03 <@jokeefe> ids
21:03 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:03 < Pirate_Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:03 <@jokeefe> anything to add?
21:04 < Pirate_Joe> I would like to bring up computer donations from
        tabled projects please.
21:04 <@jokeefe> Sure
21:06 <@jokeefe> Review
21:06 <@jokeefe> The film tax credit bill was sent to study. Not sure
        about other related bills.
21:06 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:07 <@jokeefe> Projects
21:07 < srevilak> Out to study means nothing will likely happen, yes?
21:08 < Pirate_Joe> For the time being, it means that they are not going
        to bring it to vote at this time.
21:08 <@jokeefe> yes, srevilak
21:09 < srevilak> ok thx
21:09 < Pirate_Joe> Someone can bring it up in the future but they will
        have to get someone to sponsor it if I am correct.
21:09 <@jokeefe> not until Jan 2021
21:09 < Pirate_Joe> Aye
21:10 <@jokeefe> Though I guess it could be added to the budget, but
        probably not
21:12 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings/Events
21:14 <@jokeefe> aside: nomination papers for state rep/senate are
        available
21:14 < Pirate_Joe> Can I nomination Srevilak for mayor?
21:15 < srevilak> My town doesn't have a mayor
21:15 < srevilak> Or, were you talking about lowell :)
21:15 < Pirate_Joe> Governor it is then!
21:15 < srevilak> Honestly, I'd rather be secretary of the commonwealth
21:16 < Pirate_Joe> See, I prefer State rep but unfortunately my company
        still needs me too much.
21:17 < Pirate_Joe> As far as regional meetings go, I would like to
        do one in April for Lowell.  I also want to do a table event for the
        computer donations as well.
21:18 <@jokeefe> April in Lowell is fine with me
21:19 < Pirate_Joe> I will try to book the library again.
21:19 <@jokeefe> Great.
21:19 <@jokeefe> I’ll practice with my camera and microphone so the
        recording is better
21:20 <@jokeefe> My thought had been to focus on local elections in 2021,
        since the presidential elections will get all of the focus.
21:20 <@jokeefe> But then I second guessed myself.
21:21 <@jokeefe> and thought perhaps we should try to run people for
        state rep/senate.
21:21 <@jokeefe> However, it seems too late to start unfortunately
21:21 <@jokeefe> thoughts?
21:21 < Pirate_Joe> Better late than never.
21:22 < srevilak> when are papers due for state rep?
21:22 < Pirate_Joe> I can see about getting my name in the hat if you
        like, but I would need a lot of direction on how to go about it.
21:23 <@jokeefe> checking, srevilak
21:24 < Pirate_Joe> I am booking the room as we type
21:24 < Pirate_Joe> Saturday the 4th is available.
21:24 < Pirate_Joe> from 11am to 4:45
21:24 < Pirate_Joe> Maybe a 1 to 3?
21:25 <@jokeefe>
        https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepdf/2020-Primary-and-Election-Schedule-Legal-Sized.pdf
21:25 < srevilak> Apr 4th is our town election, and I'm likely to be
        tied up with that
21:26 < srevilak> (but if that's a good day overall, we should go ahead
        and do it)
21:26 < Pirate_Joe> It's the only Saturday they have for April
21:26 < Pirate_Joe> So far
21:26 < Pirate_Joe> We can only book out so much in advance.
21:26 < Pirate_Joe> March is completely open as well.
21:27 <@jokeefe> 5:00 p.m., last day and hour to submit nomination papers
        to Registrars of Voters for certification of signatures. April 28, 2020
21:27 <@jokeefe> So about 9 weeks
21:27 <@jokeefe> Is it too late to encourage people to run in Arlington?
21:27 <@jokeefe> Pirate_Joe, I cannot do the weekend of April 4th
21:28 < Pirate_Joe> ok, Is march acceptable to do a Pirate council then?
21:28 <@jokeefe> I cannot do the weekend of March 28th
21:28 < srevilak> Arlington's papers are due tomorrow at noon
21:28 <@jokeefe> ok, thanks srevilak
21:28 < srevilak> we have quite a few contested races
21:28 < srevilak>
        https://www.arlingtonma.gov/town-governance/elections-voting
21:29 <@jokeefe> Wow, 5 people for select board would be a large number
        of candidates
21:30 < srevilak> My precinct has a 7 way race
21:30 <@jokeefe> for 4?
21:30 < srevilak> yes, for four
21:31 < srevilak> Funny dynamic.  We have the pro-housing folks, and
        anti-housing folks + people who refuse to accept the school vote
21:32 <@jokeefe> loads of laughs ;-)
21:32 < srevilak> Yes, the not-in-my backyard crowd is not happy
21:32 < srevilak> Not sure if they know we have a warrant article to
        end single-family zoning
21:32 <@jokeefe> they seldom are
21:32 < Pirate_Joe> Should I book the Library for March 21?
21:33 <@jokeefe> sure, Pirate Joe
21:33 < srevilak> I can do 3/31
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> What time works best for you?
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> On a tuesday?
21:34 < srevilak> Do you remember Guillermo Hamlin?  He's in Arlington
        now and running for town meeting
21:34 <@jokeefe> I do
21:34 <@jokeefe> on the pro-housing side?
21:35 < srevilak> yes, I think he'll be on the pro-housing side, but
        he's running because he wanted to run
21:35 < srevilak> That's P14, with an 8-way race
21:35 <@jokeefe> good for him
21:36 <@jokeefe> I’ll go dig up which towns have elected town meeting
        and call about the dates for the election and when papers are due. We
        can see which ones are still possible.
21:36 < Pirate_Joe> Would you both be able to make it on the 21?
21:36 < Pirate_Joe> 3/21
21:36 < srevilak> I can make 3//21
21:37 <@jokeefe> The 21st is open for me
21:37 < Pirate_Joe> The full day is open, but perhaps a 10-12 event?
21:37 <@jokeefe> I’ll look for something in Boston for April/May
21:37 <@jokeefe> I am fine with more than two hours if we want to cover
        multiple things
21:38 < Pirate_Joe> 10 - 2 then?
21:38 <@jokeefe> Also gives some flexibility in time
21:38 <@jokeefe> ok
21:40 < Pirate_Joe> Give your event a name that uniquely identifies
        it, including a reference to your organization./Massachusetts Pirate
        Party Rally
21:40 <@jokeefe> ok with you srevilak?
21:40 < srevilak> 10-noon ok with me
21:40 < srevilak> 10-2 ok with me
21:42 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:42 < Pirate_Joe> Booking 10-2 currently.
21:42 <@jokeefe> great
21:42 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter/Podcast
21:42 < Pirate_Joe> Describe your event in detail./Multiple current
        political issues include housing, open government, technology and
        candidates.
21:43 <@jokeefe> … from a Pirate perspective.
21:44 < Pirate_Joe> I have my request in.
21:45 <@jokeefe> thanks you
21:45 <@jokeefe> thank you
21:45 <@jokeefe> shall we record the next pirate news at 6pm sunday?
21:46 < Pirate_Joe> Yeah, I wanted it to be a regular thing for Sundays.
21:46 < srevilak> I can make it Sunday 6p
21:46 <@jokeefe> great.
21:47 <@jokeefe> Computer Donations
21:49 <@jokeefe> Pirate_Joe?
21:49 < Pirate_Joe> I was going to see if we can partner with the Wish
        Project again and make the donations at the end of the summer.
21:49 < Pirate_Joe> The only stipulation is that the computers would
        have to be working.
21:50 < Pirate_Joe> There is another person I know that may be able to
        get them to asylum seekers as well.
21:51 < Pirate_Joe> People whom have nothing, but looking to make things
        work here.  I owe her a call anyways.
21:51 <@jokeefe> I think that would work. So 8/31 as the due date?
21:51 <@jokeefe> Where would we keep them?
21:52 < Pirate_Joe> May we make it 6/31 so that I have some time to
        start org then?
21:53 < Pirate_Joe> I should have some storage space available by then.
        The overall plan to use the city hall to accept the donations and then
        they would either go to the Wish Project directly or if there are problem
        ones I would take them and dispose of them properly.
21:53 < Pirate_Joe> E-waste is a thing after all.
21:54 <@jokeefe> aye
21:54 <@jokeefe> ok. I’ll look at creating a sign up page and will
        talk with srevilak if I run into difficulties
21:54 <@jokeefe> We can setup dates to do pickups around the state.
21:55 < Pirate_Joe> Ok, I'll reach out the the WP tomorrow and if they
        are on board then I'll reach out to my contacts at city hall.
21:55 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:55 <@jokeefe> Platform Discussion
21:56 <@jokeefe> I don’t have an update except to say we should have
        one done in six months
21:56 <@jokeefe> anything else?
21:57 <@jokeefe> shall we adjourn then?
21:57 < Pirate_Joe> That is all I have for now except thank you for your
        prompt response for the candidates in the SAB.
21:57 < Pirate_Joe> 2nd
21:58 <@jokeefe> happy to help, especially when I get enough sleep
21:58 <@jokeefe> all in favor?
21:58 < Pirate_Joe> Aye
21:58 <@jokeefe> aye
21:59 < srevilak> aye
21:59 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:59 < Pirate_Joe> Good night!