February 13th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. Co-sponsor SCATV Net Neutrality and the Future of Internet Access?, Tuesday, 3/25, 7-9pm, at Tufts University
  2. Others?

Tasks & Events

  1. Support, Outreach & Finances
    1. Bitpay - jokeefe?
    2. Checks - jokeefe
    3. Event checklist - Kendra?
  2. Whistleblower Protest - Monday 2/17, 1-3pm, Logan Airport, Terminal E. Postponed to Saturday March 8th
    1. Logistics
    2. Outreach
      1. Blog Post
      2. Email
      3. Facebook event
      4. Tweets
    3. Press Release - srevilak
      1. Media List - jokeefe
      2. Friday PR - text & who will send
      3. Monday morning PR - text & who will send
    4. Flier design https://piratenpad.de/bpXgvjgG1N
    5. Signs - Done - js0000
    6. Recording & Photos
    7. Contingency plans & Legal paperwork
  3. 2/23, Sunday, Phone bank, 2-4pm, Arlington
    1. Blog Post
  4. March Cryptoparty
  5. 3/16, Sunday, St. Patrick's Day Veterans for Peace Parade, 3-5pm (Bluestreak)
  6. 3/21, Friday, Fundraiser, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge (Bluestreak)
    1. pad
    2. Blog Posts
      1. Fundraiser Call for Artists
      2. Event
    3. Artists
    4. Logistics
    5. Fliers - Need to give text to artist
  7. 3/25, Tues., Net Neutrality and the Future of Internet Access, 7-9pm, at Tufts University.
  8. 2014 Campaign
    1. Status - 1 definite candidate, 1 likely candidate, 2 possible candidates
    2. Training Video Status
    3. Voter registration app
    4. Set dates/locations for trainings - Feb, Mar
  9. September 2014 Conference - Need location & date

Upcoming Event List

  1. 2/24, 10am-5pm, DPU Hearing on Smart Meters, Hearing Room A, DPU, South Station, Summer Street, Boston, MA
  2. 3/1-3/2, Sat & Sun, Countersurveillance Hackathon, Center For Civic Media, MIT, Cambridge
  3. 3/5, 1-4pm, Transportation Committee Hearing on Drones and ALPR bills, State House, Hearing Room B2!
  4. 3/8, 1-3pm Whistleblower Protest, Logan Airport, Terminal E
  5. 3/16 VFP Peace Parade
  6. 3/22 - 3/23, LibrePlanet 2014 Conference, MIT, Cambridge, MA
  7. 3/25, Tues., Net Neutrality and the Future of Internet Access, 7-9pm, at Tufts University.
  8. 4/26, noon, Jobs Not Jails: Rally to End Mass Incarceration and Fund Job Creation, Boston Common


  • davidd
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Arlington, MA)
  • js0000 (juan saylor waltham MA)
  • Joeguertin (Joe Guertin, Bellingham)


  • ageis
  • zby_
  • Igel


Co-Sponsor SCATV panel discussion on net neutrality? Motion to co-sponsor passes.

srevilak, Kendra to work on getting Bitpay set up to accept Bitcoin donations for pirate party. We need to collect the fields, and present the list of questions that OCPF requires.

Airport protest. Reschedule to Saturday March 8th, to have more time to organize.

IWW Cryptoparty. Possibly 3/29 or 3/30. Kendra will check.

Medway Cryptoparty. April. Perhaps at town library. Lucia will look into getting an event listing into local newspaper.

Meeting Minutes


[8:59pm] davidd: it tells me such a ticket costs 7 euro and 51 cents [8:59pm] davidd: what a weird amount to charge [8:59pm] jokeefe: more than name address, we have to ask a bunch more questions - see https://secure.piryx.com/donate/ZeBuHGQi/Massachusetts-Pirate-Party/ [8:59pm] jokeefe: funny davidd [8:59pm] jokeefe: you are up late [9:00pm] davidd: we have a GA this sunday [9:00pm] davidd: i am in charge of the ballots [9:00pm] jokeefe: ah [9:00pm] stever joined the chat room. [9:00pm] jokeefe: $10 seems too low, need sliding scale [9:00pm] davidd: gonna use the schulze condorcet method to determine listorder [9:00pm] Bluestreak: You can't buy anything from Etsy without name and address [9:00pm] stever left the chat room. (Client Quit) [9:00pm] jokeefe: right, but the questions also matter [9:01pm] jokeefe: what % do they take? [9:01pm] Bluestreak: For payment? [9:01pm] davidd: is it questions like "what kind of volunteer work could we ask you for?" and then a bunch of checkboxes and a freefillform [9:01pm] Bluestreak: I buy stuff on Esty with PayPal all the time, but when I set up my store (tonight) they didn't offer it. [9:02pm] Bluestreak: Look I was attempting to be proactive [9:02pm] Kendra joined the chat room. [9:02pm] Bluestreak: I don't have an eventbrite account, I *do* have an Etsy Account [9:02pm] davidd: and we applaud you for it [9:02pm] jokeefe: ahoy, Kendra [9:02pm] Bluestreak: Red Blaza uses it to sell KOP event tickets [9:02pm] Kendra: Greetings Pirates [9:02pm] jokeefe: eventbrite's fees seem really high [9:02pm] Bluestreak: Hey K [9:02pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: effort appreciated. However, we still have to play by OCPF's rules [9:02pm] Kendra: Hi Lulu [9:03pm] Bluestreak: I am not sure there is a problem [9:03pm] srevilak: Essentially all the fields + "Legal Compliance" on https://secure.piryx.com/donate/ZeBuHGQi/Massachusetts-Pirate-Party/ [9:03pm] Bluestreak: it cost 20 cents to list the ticket [9:03pm] jokeefe: We have to ask: [9:03pm] jokeefe: I am a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien. [9:03pm] jokeefe: This contribution is made from my own funds, and funds are not being provided to me by another person or entity for the purpose of making this contribution. [9:03pm] jokeefe: I am making this contribution with my own personal credit card and not with a corporate or business credit card or a card issued to another person. [9:03pm] jokeefe: I am at least eighteen years old. [9:03pm] Bluestreak: Argh! I'm going to bed [9:04pm] Bluestreak: AFFIRMATIVE ACTION FOR THIRD PARTIES NOW!!! [9:04pm] jokeefe: well employment info is optional for contributions under $200 [9:04pm] jokeefe: On to the agenda [9:04pm] jokeefe: http://masspirates.org/wiki/February_13th,_2014_IRC_Meeting [9:04pm] jokeefe: ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville [9:04pm] Bluestreak: Lucia Fiero [9:04pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA [9:04pm] Kendra: Kendra Moyer, Arlington, MA [9:05pm] js0000: juan saylor waltham MA [9:05pm] Bluestreak: Hola Juan [9:05pm] jokeefe: lol [9:05pm] jokeefe: 1. Decisions [9:05pm] js0000: hola mes amigos [9:05pm] jokeefe: Co-sponsor SCATV Net Neutrality and the Future of Internet Access? [9:05pm] Bluestreak: Yes [9:05pm] Bluestreak: And attend [9:05pm] Bluestreak: and get interviewed [9:05pm] js0000: the only thing i had to add is that do we get some screen time or a mention or what ... ? [9:06pm] Kendra: Good exposure for the MPP and Sommerville Pirates, I vote yes. [9:06pm] jokeefe: Co-sponsor means our logo is on it [9:06pm] srevilak: I'm in favor of co-sponsoring SCATC [9:06pm] Bluestreak: Yes [9:06pm] jokeefe: and we get mentioned [9:06pm] srevilak: I'm in favor of co-sponsoring SCATV [9:06pm] jokeefe: any objections? [9:07pm] jokeefe: js0000, you for it, then? [9:07pm] js0000: yes [9:07pm] jokeefe: ageis, zby_, lgel? [9:07pm] js0000: i just wondered if we can get some more out of it ... [9:08pm] jokeefe: is free, unusually sponsorship requires $ [9:08pm] jokeefe: seeing no objections, motion passes [9:08pm] jokeefe: Any other decisions folks want to bring up? [9:09pm] jokeefe: ok, moving on, if you have them bring them up as we go along [9:10pm] igel_ joined the chat room. [9:10pm] jokeefe: 2. Tasks & Events [9:10pm] jokeefe: Support Outreach & Finances [9:10pm] jokeefe: Bitpay & Checks are both on my plate. Would like to only deal with Checks. Anyone want to wrestle with Bitpay? [9:11pm] jokeefe: mostly logging people's contact info [9:11pm] srevilak: I can work on bitpay. Seems like a quartermaster kind of thing. [9:11pm] Kendra: I have some time next week if it is not too involved. Let me know what you are needing. I do a lot of data entry. [9:12pm] • srevilak passes bitpay ball to kendra [9:12pm] jokeefe: thanks to both of you. [9:12pm] Bluestreak: it does sound like a quartermaster thing! [9:12pm] Kendra: I can also help Steve if that works [9:12pm] srevilak: works for me [9:12pm] Bluestreak: Thanks srevilak [9:13pm] jokeefe: two heads better than one [9:13pm] Joeguertin joined the chat room. [9:14pm] jokeefe: ahoy Joeguertin [9:14pm] Joeguertin: Yargh [9:14pm] jokeefe: Event checklist - Kendra you mentioned that you had something we could use? [9:14pm] Joeguertin: Hello jokeefe [9:15pm] Joeguertin: Joe Guertin, Bellingham [9:16pm] Kendra: Yes, i can get a template that goes over all of the things required for specific events. If you give me a minute I will find an example for you [9:16pm] srevilak: Kendra - do you have access to http://masspirates.org/wiki/ ? [9:17pm] srevilak: (That might be a good place to develop/keep our checklist) [9:17pm] jokeefe: agreed, though could start with a pad if needed [9:17pm] Kendra: Yes. Should I put it there? [9:18pm] js0000: what about starting with wiki and moving to pad if wiki isn't working [9:18pm] js0000: i think more people can access wiki than pad [9:19pm] zby joined the chat room. [9:19pm] zby left the chat room. (Changing host) [9:19pm] zby joined the chat room. [9:19pm] Kendra: Sorry, I have not registered to post on that wiki. If I did I can't think of my password. [9:19pm] Kendra: www.gdc.wa.gov.au/ uploads/ files/ Event%20Management%20Plan%20-%20GDC%20Toolkit.pdf [9:19pm] js0000: whatever works best [9:20pm] zby_ left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 272 seconds) [9:20pm] Kendra: You should be able to copy that link and I'll work on the wiki. There are many examples that get into crowd control, emergency contacts etc. [9:20pm] jokeefe: thanks, should use it for Monday [9:21pm] jokeefe: Next - Whistleblower Protest - Monday 2/17, 1-3pm, Logan Airport, Terminal E [9:21pm] jokeefe: Bunch of things to do [9:21pm] jokeefe: Lots of outreach [9:22pm] Bluestreak: Still not sure what you are planning on doing [9:22pm] jokeefe: The plan was to show up well dressed with signs of different whistle blowers [9:22pm] jokeefe: and stand there [9:22pm] Kendra: How about blowing whistles? [9:22pm] Bluestreak: Stand where, exactly? [9:22pm] srevilak: [9:23pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: logan airport terminal E. Probably near the arrivals area [9:23pm] Bluestreak: Near a gate? [9:23pm] Bluestreak: What if we are asked to leave? Like immedeately? [9:23pm] Bluestreak: I am trying to sell Jason but I dont have info for him [9:24pm] Bluestreak: He has some valid questions [9:24pm] Kendra: It all depends on how much action you are looking for a that day If you want to make a bigger deal get some whistles and get noisy. And we will be asked to leave. [9:24pm] srevilak: If asked to leave, we should ask on what grounds, and explain why we have the right to be there. [9:24pm] Bluestreak: And all you all will be there? [9:25pm] srevilak: I'll be there [9:25pm] jokeefe: My concern is that the turn out will be small. I know I will be there. [9:25pm] srevilak: Should have at least one video camera, if we need it for documentation [9:25pm] Kendra: It seems like this is a good time to discuss security and what level of protest people are willing to get into. How far do people want to go? The airport is getting into an area that is more touchy around security. [9:25pm] srevilak: Can one of you provide a quote for press release, so I can get it wrapped up? [9:25pm] Bluestreak: Who was documenting at the Aaron Swart anniversary jokeefe? [9:26pm] jokeefe: KT [9:26pm] Bluestreak: And someone else... [9:26pm] Bluestreak: I will reach out to KT [9:26pm] Bluestreak: for more info [9:27pm] jokeefe: Did reach out, haven't heard back. [9:27pm] srevilak: Logistics planning list: https://piratenpad.de/p/mapp-presidents-day [9:28pm] jokeefe: thanks, srevilak [9:28pm] jokeefe: so, we have three that i can see, plus whomever we can drum up between now and then [9:29pm] Kendra: I can probably video tape. I can't afford to tangle with the police though. [9:29pm] jokeefe: Kendra, was thinking silent protest. [9:29pm] igel_ left the chat room. (Quit: Lost terminal) [9:29pm] jokeefe: So, two and an observer. [9:29pm] jokeefe: perhaps we just aren't ready. [9:29pm] Bluestreak: I guess I could observe and support [9:29pm] Bluestreak: IDK [9:30pm] Bluestreak: Jason asked me to stay home, sorry. [9:30pm] srevilak: I think that two + observer would be okay. [9:30pm] srevilak: In EU, they kept the protests small [9:30pm] Bluestreak: I will put it to him that way [9:31pm] srevilak: Kendra: if you can observe & record, that'd be wonderful [9:31pm] jokeefe: hmmmm… srevilak, was thinking of the marches through the airports in their underwear. those were bigger [9:31pm] Bluestreak: LOL [9:31pm] Bluestreak: Would hate to get arrested in underwear in February [9:31pm] Bluestreak: But boy that would be fun! [9:32pm] jokeefe: http://boingboing.net/2010/11/27/german-pirate-party.html [9:33pm] Bluestreak: Yes, well they sunbathe in the nude in public parks in Munich so... [9:33pm] Bluestreak: Not much of a stretch for Germans [9:34pm] Kendra: Germans are extremely laid back compared to Americans about many things. [9:34pm] srevilak: Given the short time frame, should we just keep it low key/outreachy? [9:36pm] jokeefe: Personally, I would rather push it back. Use it to gain attention perhaps prior to the fundraiser. [9:36pm] Kendra: I have time and can help out, we just need to decide how intense we want this to be and how much risk people want to take. We could share flyers about the fundraiser and crypto parties at the same time. [9:37pm] Kendra: It looks like we need to vote or something. [9:37pm] srevilak: jokeefe: we have fundraiser on 21st. St patricks on sun 3/16 [9:37pm] srevilak: Maybe airport on 15th, or perhaps 3/8? [9:38pm] Bluestreak: OK IMO [9:38pm] Bluestreak: We should recruit ppl @ the fundraiser [9:38pm] igel_ joined the chat room. [9:38pm] Bluestreak: When they are all keyed up [9:38pm] Bluestreak: hand out flyers for our plan [9:38pm] Bluestreak: first week in April instead [9:38pm] Bluestreak: Safety in numbers [9:38pm] Kendra: I think sooner to generate publicity. [9:39pm] jokeefe: either 3/8 or 3/15 [9:39pm] Kendra: 3/8 gives us some time. [9:39pm] Bluestreak: Jason and I are doing cannabis activism on the 15th [9:39pm] Bluestreak: Not available [9:39pm] srevilak: I vote 3/8. That gives us visibility three weekends in a row [9:39pm] jokeefe: 2nd [9:39pm] Kendra: Aye, 3/8 [9:39pm] jokeefe: all in favor? [9:40pm] srevilak: aye [9:40pm] jokeefe: aye [9:40pm] Bluestreak: aye [9:40pm] Kendra: aya [9:40pm] jokeefe: Joeguertin, js0000? [9:40pm] Bluestreak: Wait when will out IPM be? [9:41pm] jokeefe: IPM? [9:41pm] Joeguertin: I'm not sure of my schedule yet, I'm checking atm [9:41pm] Kendra: BLue what is IPM? [9:42pm] srevilak: in-person meeting = IPM [9:42pm] jokeefe: haven't scheduled one [9:42pm] Joeguertin: 3/8 I have to work [9:43pm] Kendra: Should we get a IPM scheduled now? [9:43pm] srevilak: For IPM - maybe sunday the 9th? [9:43pm] srevilak: My weekends are committed for the rest of feb [9:43pm] jokeefe: lets do it at the phone bank [9:43pm] jokeefe: well, not hearing any objections, motion passes. [9:44pm] jokeefe: will notify people in email of the date change. still 1-3pm? [9:44pm] Kendra: That 3/23 if I recall [9:44pm] jokeefe: 2/23 [9:44pm] Kendra: ok [9:45pm] srevilak: Yes, phone bank on 2/23. Time was 2-4pm [9:45pm] Bluestreak: Good idea akshlly [9:45pm] srevilak: Sorry airport protest, yes 1-3pm on 3/8 [9:46pm] Bluestreak: yay! February vacation is free! [9:46pm] jokeefe: on the plus side [9:47pm] jokeefe: anyone want to write the blog post who isn't srevilak? [9:47pm] Bluestreak: LOL [9:48pm] Kendra: Sorry, i can't right now [9:49pm] srevilak: jokeefe: blog post for what? [9:50pm] jokeefe: the airport event [9:50pm] js0000: i can try to write something on whistleblowers [9:51pm] jokeefe: thanks [9:51pm] js0000: i think the idea is clearest to you jokeefe [9:51pm] jokeefe: ok, will write [9:51pm] srevilak: In a pinch, we could use the press release as a blog post. (We'll probably put it on the blog anyway) [9:52pm] jokeefe: good idea. will write the quote that is needed [9:52pm] Bluestreak: 2nd [9:52pm] Bluestreak: [9:53pm] Bluestreak: ready for my Pirate Pad? [9:53pm] igel_: reading all of the emails today... wow. [9:53pm] Bluestreak: https://piratenpad.de/p/Fun-Raiser-20plans [9:53pm] Bluestreak: Input welcome [9:53pm] jokeefe: need a blog post for the 2/23, Sunday, Phone bank, 2-4pm, Arlington [9:53pm] Bluestreak: OK that I can do [9:53pm] Bluestreak: OK? [9:53pm] igel_: i think cjd's friend mentioned they too would like to host a cryptoparty out west+ of mass [9:54pm] Bluestreak: I would like April [9:54pm] igel_: sorry im in and out -- i'll catch up the logs here tomorrow [9:54pm] Bluestreak: 's to be in Medway area [9:54pm] igel_ left the chat room. (Quit: leaving) [9:54pm] Bluestreak: My Mac ia bout to die... to lazy to go get cord oops [9:54pm] jokeefe: thanks, Bluestreak [9:55pm] Bluestreak: Putting it on mah list [9:55pm] jokeefe: lgel_ if you can get confirmation, that would be good. mostly we need a place and people to put up posters [9:56pm] jokeefe: March Cryptoparty - when? [9:56pm] jokeefe: I had suggested we just do a small one to work on our hands on presentations [9:56pm] jokeefe: maybe someone's house? [9:56pm] srevilak: Kendra: you were talking to IWW about cryptoparty. How far have you gotten [9:57pm] Kendra: High time for a cryptoparty in Lulu's neck of the woods. If we can get a date for March I have some possible places. IWW is interested and we could do it at the Lantern Collective in Cambridge. [9:57pm] Kendra: Jsut need to get a date and I can email Jason Freeman tonight. [9:57pm] Kendra: Or some optional dates. [9:57pm] srevilak: how about after fundraiser? [9:57pm] Bluestreak: My only prob w/ doing March at our house is not enough time to promote [9:58pm] Bluestreak: Need until April to promote. Hell, we could have it at our house if it is small and hands on. And I like feed folks [9:58pm] Kendra: The following weekend might be good idea. Lucia, for April you might be able to find a library or church with a community space in your town. [9:58pm] jokeefe: 29th or 30th, srevilak [9:58pm] ageis: where does cjd live? [9:58pm] Kendra: I can mention both dates and see what they say. [9:59pm] srevilak: Either 3/29 or 3/30 is okay with me. [9:59pm] srevilak: Perhaps depends on where it's held. (Free parking on Sundays) [9:59pm] jokeefe: agreed [10:00pm] jokeefe: Kendra, how many people can they have? [10:00pm] Kendra: I would guess in the range of 20 or so. Not a lot of parking in that part of town. But we can start there and maybeo work with it. [10:01pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: I've been marking up https://piratenpad.de/p/Fun-Raiser-20plans [10:01pm] Kendra: They hold a lot of events there and have a big livingroom and kitchen and a library in the basement. [10:01pm] jokeefe: Thanks for asking, Kendra. The sooner we know, the better we are. [10:01pm] Bluestreak: Joe has a treasurer [10:01pm] Bluestreak: Jason [10:01pm] Bluestreak: I am his campaign chair [10:01pm] jokeefe: Yay! [10:02pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: that's awesome [10:02pm] jokeefe: Bluestreak, do you want to find a site for the April Cryptoparty? [10:02pm] Bluestreak: I am working on it [10:02pm] Bluestreak: Possibly the Medway Library [10:02pm] Bluestreak: Or at Dean College! [10:03pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: does medway have a newspaper with a local events calendar? [10:03pm] Bluestreak: Um... [10:03pm] Bluestreak: Yes, I have to look into it... ASAP, I guess! [10:03pm] Kendra: I am emailing IWW now. [10:04pm] jokeefe: thank you Kendra & Bluestreak [10:04pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: http://medway.wickedlocal.com/ looks like your local. I mention because Occupy Arlington got a lot of mileage from listing events in local paper [10:04pm] Bluestreak: Thanks. We get something in the mail fro Medway/Millis [10:05pm] jokeefe: Anything about the St. Patrick's Day march we need to discuss? [10:05pm] Bluestreak: And there is a local paper in Milford... my kids have been in it akshlly [10:06pm] js0000 left the chat room. (Quit: leaving) [10:06pm] Bluestreak: I forwarded the email they sent me... [10:06pm] jokeefe: thank you [10:06pm] Bluestreak: There I sent it again, have a look [10:07pm] jokeefe: ok, we are at time then, adjourn? [10:07pm] Bluestreak: 2nd [10:07pm] srevilak: aye. Want to write up another FOIA request this evening [10:07pm] Kendra: aye, time to get soem rest. Night all. [10:07pm] Bluestreak: zzzzz [10:07pm] jokeefe: cool [10:07pm] srevilak: will post transcript [10:07pm] Bluestreak: night [10:07pm] jokeefe: aye [10:07pm] Bluestreak: TY steve [10:07pm] jokeefe: thank you all [10:07pm] Kendra left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed) [10:07pm] Bluestreak: Goodnight, Captain! [10:08pm] jokeefe: good night all [10:08pm] Bluestreak: (and Steve) [10:08pm] Bluestreak: Gnight juan [10:08pm] jokeefe: lol [10:08pm] Bluestreak: buenos noches [10:08pm] jokeefe: good night 1st officer [10:08pm] Bluestreak: [10:08pm] jokeefe: good night quartermaster