February 13th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Net Neutrality/Community Meshnets

National Party Meeting

Decisions/Endorsements

Boston Pride Parade

The Parade is June 9th. The cost for a group such as ours is $280 if we apply by 2/28, based on their fee schedule. Checking whether we should apply.

Projects

Video Newsletter

  • Planning for next video.
  • Videos of the November candidate workshop have been processed
  • Checking in on the other equifax video

2018 Elections

Trainings:

  1. Videos
  2. February 24: Worcester
  3. March 3: Somerville

In 2018, towns decide when their elections are held, but most are held in the first half of the year. State & county elections are in November. What offices are up in 2018 is listed here.

Nomination papers for federal/state/county elections are available in mid-February. State/county candidates have until the end of May to gather all of their signatures, while federal candidates have until the end of July. The number of signatures needed vary from 150 for State Rep. to 2000 for US House of Representatives.


Digital Right of Repair

Details.

Amazon HQ2

Budget

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Yearly Conference

Once we set dates for the trainings we will put up a poll asking about our 2018 conference and whether to change it into several regional conferences.

The electronic election for our officers went well in 2017, and we should consider doing it again. Such a change would allow us to decentralize our yearly conference and hold multiple regional conferences in different parts of the state. We could schedule monthly conferences starting in March or April. We could limit them to about 4-5 hours long, with the first half being training and the second half being discussion. If we want to go this route, we should ask our members soon and see who wants to organize their regional conference.


Statements In Process

  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • hvxgr: Tom ROdman Milwaukee
  • Ross

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • igel
  • Portable_Cheese

Summary

Net Neutrality/Community Meshnets

Video Newsletter

2018 Elections

Organizing Local Chapters

Amazon HQ2

Budget

Computer Donations

Minutes

 


[9:03pm] jokeefe: Agenda - https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_13th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:03pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:03pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:03pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:03pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:03pm] hvxgr: ahoy / Tom ROdman Milwaukee just joined
[9:03pm] jokeefe: ahoy hvxgr
[9:04pm] hvxgr: Hi Jamie.
[9:04pm] Malt: welcome
[9:04pm] jokeefe: anything to add to / modify in the agenda?
[9:05pm] Joe: Nay
[9:05pm] hvxgr: no
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Review
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Net Neutrality/Community Meshnets
[9:07pm] jokeefe: The Mesh Net meetings went well with 13 people at the first one, and a largely different group of 20 people attending the 2nd one. After some discussion, we broke up into working groups to discuss things further. There was a lot of energy and we came out of it with a lot of things to do and people willing to do them.
[9:07pm] jokeefe: While most of the folks came from the Greater Boston area, we had people from further away. We came up with Massachusetts Mesh Network name to reflect that geographic diversity.
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Out of the last meeting, we scheduled two more meetings at the Somerville Public Library (tentatively):
[9:07pm] jokeefe: March 10, 2018 (1:30pm to 3:30pm)
[9:07pm] jokeefe: April 21, 2018 (1:30pm to 3:30pm)
[9:08pm] jokeefe: National Party Meeting
[9:08pm] jokeefe: how did it go?
[9:10pm] Joe: It was nice to meet up with the main party
[9:10pm] Malt: not a lot got accomplished
[9:10pm] Malt: there was a bit of dithering about supporting chelsea manning
[9:10pm] Joe: We got invited to go to speak on a panel in Israel for the international party I think.
[9:11pm] Malt: oh yeah!
[9:11pm] Joe: lol
[9:11pm] Malt: i reached out to them about talking
[9:11pm] Malt: they responded and asked if i'd be interested in hosting a panel discussion, will keep folk posted
[9:11pm] Joe: Yeah, Pirates from other nations will be there as well.
[9:11pm] Joe: https://www.facebook.com/events/529202864128696/
[9:12pm] Joe: Are you doing it online?
[9:12pm] Joe: or going over there?
[9:12pm] hvxgr: I looked at the uspp IRC log, discussion about endorsing Chelsa Manning or at least reaching out to her.
[9:12pm] Joe: Yes, that too
[9:12pm] Malt: internet
[9:13pm] Joe: Actually, that was first on the agenda.
[9:13pm] Joe: And there was only two items on the agenda if memory serves
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Are there minutes?
[9:14pm] Joe: I don't have them, sry.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: ok, will ask Liz
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Boston Pride Parade
[9:15pm] jokeefe: It will be June 9th.
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Looks like cost by 2/28 for our size group is $280, I believe.
[9:16pm] Joe: I support it but that is my peak season for my company.
[9:16pm] Joe: We do have funds available to cover the cost though.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: good to know
[9:16pm] Malt:  dunno if that's the best use for the money though
[9:17pm] Malt: what's the advantage?
[9:17pm] jokeefe: attention
[9:17pm] jokeefe: if we can get the turn out for it
[9:17pm] Joe: It is an event that we have supported before though I would want to continue our support
[9:17pm] jokeefe: it is an election year
[9:18pm] jokeefe: also a good point
[9:18pm] Malt: but since it's an election year, shouldn't we focus that money on something political?
[9:18pm] Malt: we could come through with $280 worth of pizza for the group phonebanking against the anti-trans bill
[9:19pm] Malt: a parade is a pretty hectic environment for garnering political attention
[9:19pm] Ross: Just getting the name out there is pretty important, not everyone knows about the pirate party.
[9:20pm] Joe: ^
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Also an opportunity to get pirates together
[9:20pm] Joe: Any event we do helps build awareness.
[9:20pm] Joe: l
[9:21pm] jokeefe: how about I put out a sign up form and ask for donations to cover it, announce it on email/blog and we see what we get by 2/27?
[9:21pm] Malt: okay, if we want to gather the pirates, and get our name out, for $280, is a pride parade the best way to do it?
[9:23pm] hvxgr:  uspp log of that meeting: http://ix.io/H6h   
[9:23pm] Malt: if we were more of an integral member of the community it'd be one thing, but it feels kind of hanger-on ish?
[9:24pm] jokeefe: thanks, hvxgr
[9:24pm] hvxgr: sure
[9:24pm] jokeefe: We have marched in it for over five years
[9:24pm] Malt: ah, okay
[9:25pm] Joe: There is one thing I would like to add, sorry for the late request.
[9:25pm] jokeefe: ok, but let’s finish this topic first
[9:25pm] Joe: no worries
[9:25pm] Joe: I just remembered
[9:25pm] Joe: l
[9:26pm] jokeefe: so, put the word out for volunteers and money and reasses on 2/27 or just do it?
[9:26pm] Joe: My vote is on just doing it anyways.
[9:26pm] Joe: It's good exposure for the right reasons.
[9:27pm] Malt: if y'all are pumped about it i won't be a stick in the mud
[9:27pm] jokeefe: so last year, it cost us $40 and we gave a $60 donation. Will check with srevilak if we would still qualify for that rate
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Let’s defer while we get the cost info
[9:29pm] Joe: Table it?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Yes
[9:30pm] Malt: 2nd
[9:30pm] jokeefe: objections?
[9:30pm] Joe: Motion to table passes
[9:30pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter
[9:31pm] Joe: So, I think we are getting better at it.
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Yes. They are also getting shorter and closer to how long we want them
[9:31pm] jokeefe: If you want to help https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPirates20190218Video
[9:31pm] Joe: I still want to keep the videos really short, so maybe only one topic per video.
[9:32pm] jokeefe: works for me
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Videos of the November candidate workshop have been processed and we should be able to download them soon
[9:32pm] Malt: this sunday i'm occupied
[9:32pm] Joe: Any import for ideas we should cover, it would be greatly appriecated.
[9:32pm] Malt: nice
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Will check on the equifax video
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Is it just this Sunday, or sundays?
[9:33pm] Joe: ok, thank you.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Malt?
[9:33pm] Malt: this sunday
[9:34pm] jokeefe: ok. Sunday morning worked well this time
[9:34pm] jokeefe: So would like that to be our recording time, if we can
[9:35pm] Joe: If the video for the equifax video is going to take too long, perhaps we can just do it as a the new format. Just to get it out there asap.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Sure
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Let’s see where it is, first
[9:35pm] Joe: Yeah, I agree but unfortunately I can only do Sunday morning ever other week.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Could mention it Sunday since Trump won’t be investigating the equihax
[9:36pm] Joe: Really?
[9:36pm] Malt: that would transition well to a segment on regulatory capture
[9:36pm] Malt: yeah a bunch of dem senators just issued a letter asking wtf
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Could mention it and point them to the flyer
[9:37pm] jokeefe: mornings every other week works
[9:37pm] Joe: Yeah, we been getting videos out but I would like to slow down a little bit and do a video every other week for a bit.
[9:37pm] Joe: Pace ourselves.
[9:38pm] jokeefe: true
[9:38pm] jokeefe: every two weeks is better than once a month
[9:38pm] jokeefe: please place suggestions at https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPirates20190218Video
[9:38pm] Joe: Though I really do love our conversations, the other week could be used to just prep for the record time.
[9:38pm] jokeefe: ok, do you want to skip this weekend?
[9:38pm] Joe: Talk about current events.
[9:39pm] Joe: I can be there for a PM session
[9:39pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:39pm] Joe: We can hash out a few topics but not do a full meeting.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: What did you want to bring up, Joe
[9:40pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:40pm] jokeefe: This is PP business, right?
[9:40pm] Joe: Of course!
[9:40pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:41pm] Joe: That's all I have on that currently.
[9:42pm] Joe: Set record time for 2/25 @ 10 am
[9:43pm] Malt: nice
[9:43pm] Malt: day after the run for something rall
[9:43pm] Malt: y
[9:43pm] jokeefe: oh ok, thanks
[9:43pm] jokeefe: 2018 Elections, then
[9:44pm] jokeefe: 2/24 is the Worcester candidate workshop. 3/3 is the one in Somerville
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Nick has done great work on the scripts for the how to run video series. Need to edit it and record them.
[9:45pm] Malt: got at least one local worcester fellow who wants to speak about his recent successful campaigns
[9:46pm] Ross: campaigns for what?
[9:46pm] jokeefe: elected office
[9:46pm] jokeefe: town elections in the first half of the year
[9:46pm] jokeefe: state/federal elections in november
[9:46pm] jokeefe: though the highest office we run for is US Congress
[9:47pm] jokeefe: House of Reps
[9:47pm] Malt: school committee
[9:47pm] Malt: also pushed against a charter school voucher
[9:49pm] jokeefe: though the training can apply to any type of campaign
[9:49pm] Joe: We are almost at time, mind if I bring up that other topic really quick?
[9:49pm] Malt: whatcha got
[9:49pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:49pm] jokeefe: don’t mind
[9:49pm] Joe: We were asked if we are planning to do another PirateCon
[9:50pm] jokeefe: “Once we set dates for the [candidate] trainings we will put up a poll asking about our 2018 conference and whether to change it into several regional conferences. “
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Time to setup the poll 
[9:51pm] Joe: Thank you 
[9:52pm] jokeefe: We tend to have it later on even years because state legislature candidates have to get their signatures in by end of April.
[9:53pm] Malt: do i need to print any forms for the run for something office?
[9:53pm] Malt: like, ballot signature forms
[9:53pm] Joe: Makes sense. I want it to be slightly catered if possible and request for donations as well for said catering but really just requesting donations.
[9:53pm] jokeefe: candidates can get the ballot signature forms for free
[9:53pm] Joe: Request donations like run-on sentences.
[9:54pm] jokeefe: but OCPF forms and the how to run guide would be good
[9:54pm] Joe: l
[9:54pm] jokeefe: http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepdf/Candidates-Guide-18.pdf
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Perhaps this as well, though we want people to get on the ballot http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elestkr/stkridx.htm
[9:57pm] jokeefe: Digital Right of Repair
[9:57pm] jokeefe: many bills did not pass the date to be considered, but Digital Right of Repair has until April to get support
[9:57pm] jokeefe: Will add it to the next email and in a blog post
[9:58pm] jokeefe: On other news: March will be busy with cryptoparties
[9:58pm] Malt: woohoo!
[9:58pm] jokeefe: Somerville 2/28 & 3/28
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Worcester on 3/16
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Boston on 3/17
[9:59pm] jokeefe: That is all I have
[9:59pm] Joe: We are at time sir.
[9:59pm] Malt: gonna try and make it to the 2/28 one
[9:59pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:59pm] Malt: figure i should know what it is before i run one?
[10:00pm] jokeefe: I will be there to help on 3/16
[10:00pm] Malt: much appreciated!
[10:00pm] jokeefe: will run it past work to get the afternoon off
[10:00pm] jokeefe: we are at time as Joe said
[10:00pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn?
[10:00pm] Malt: i'm set
[10:00pm] Malt: 2nd
[10:00pm] Joe: 2nd
[10:00pm] Ross: 2nd
[10:00pm] Joe: ^
[10:00pm] hvxgr: Re pp position:  Good public discussion on immigration: https://podcast-a.akamaihd.net/mp3/podcasts/ideas_20171128_47641.mp3    ( Prof Michael Sandel )
[10:00pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[10:00pm] Malt: oh nice
[10:00pm] Joe: Aye
[10:00pm] hvxgr: Good night all.
[10:00pm] Malt: aye
[10:00pm] Joe: 8thed?
[10:00pm] Ross: aye
[10:01pm] jokeefe: thanks hvxgr
[10:01pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:01pm] hvxgr: sure
[10:01pm] jokeefe: I’ll post the notes
[10:01pm] Ross left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[10:01pm] jokeefe: thanks all
[10:01pm] Malt: night!