February 14th, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. Planning for International Day for Privacy #IDP13 Cryptoparty
  2. National Party update

Committee reports to start next week.

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

Planning for International Day for Privacy #IDP13 Cryptoparty

Set for Sat., Feb 23rd, 3-5pm at E5. We have the space from 2-6pm.

Talks (in no particular order) will be:

  • TOR Demo (srevilak)
  • I2P Demo (mildbeard)
  • Discussion of risk assessment (aka - why this stuff matters)
  • Maybe talk on encrypting your files/disk

Space cost is about $40 for four hours. We can ask donations.

Srevilak suggested a designer. Jamie asked if she would be able to write a flier for the Cryptoparty.


place holder

  • srevilak - Steve Revilak, Arlington
  • Shidash - M. C., Boston
  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • SplendidSpoon - Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge
  • mildbeard - Erik Zoltan, Framingham
  • bsod - joe, shrewsbury
  • js0000 - john waltham


  • kusanagi
  • illunatic
  • davidd
  • Mozart
  • zby_home


Planning for International Day for Privacy #IDP13 Cryptoparty

National Party update

Meeting Minutes


[12:03] <jokeefe> hi all - agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=February_14th,_2013_IRC_Meeting [12:03] <jokeefe> Shidash, trying to fill one last spot [12:04] <Shidash> I can teach about something [12:05] <jokeefe> how about file encryption? [12:05] <jokeefe> or file/disk encryption? [12:05] <Shidash> Sure [12:05] <Shidash> how long are the talks? [12:05] <jokeefe> 30 min [12:05] <jokeefe> mostly how to [12:05] <jokeefe> we have a projector [12:05] <Shidash> ah, ok [12:06] <jokeefe> Thank you! [12:06] <jokeefe> so action items are flyers, getting the word out, and recording them well. [12:06] <jokeefe> but before that: intros - James O'Keefe, Somerville [12:07] <Shidash> M. C. McGrath, Boston [12:08] == mildbeard [~erik@71.174.twt.sg] has joined #masspirates [12:08] <mildbeard> Erik Zoltan, Framingham [12:10] <jokeefe> hi, mildbeard [12:10] <jokeefe> agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=February_14th,_2013_IRC_Meeting [12:11] <mildbeard> sorry to be late [12:11] <jokeefe> topic: Planning for International Day for Privacy #IDP13 Cryptoparty [12:11] <jokeefe> mildbeard, do you have a good mic to record the presentations? [12:11] <mildbeard> no [12:12] <mildbeard> What's the date of that one? [12:12] <jokeefe> 2/23 [12:12] <mildbeard> I'm able to come and give a talk, but severely limited in my time because Melanie has a book deadline on 2/25. So I will be in and out quickly unfortunately. [12:13] <mildbeard> I had poor success at the 2012 conference trying to video tape while giving a talk. The video was unusable. [12:14] <jokeefe> no problem. I will put out a broader call for people with mics and experience. Maybe srevilak knows someone. I have a wired mic, but a wireless mic would be best. [12:14] <mildbeard> tx [12:14] <jokeefe> sorry I haven't put anything up on the site about it, been very busy. aiming to do that tonight. [12:18] <mildbeard> k [12:18] <jokeefe> does that cover it for the crytoparty? [12:20] <jokeefe> got national news, mildbeard? [12:20] == Shidash [~shidash@770-90-31-295-kwfnkjjm2x.bu.edu] has quit [Quit: Leaving.] [12:21] <mildbeard> There's a constitutional meeting coming up to work on the constitution and bylaws changes. [12:21] <mildbeard> I am planning to attend. [12:21] <mildbeard> The meetings are biweekly so there wasn't a new meeting last night. Next one Wed. [12:21] <mildbeard> Nothing else. [12:23] <jokeefe> ok, thanks [12:23] <jokeefe> The 2nd aaron swartz protest is the 18th [12:25] <jokeefe> I can give the banner to anyone who wants to go. [12:26] == [4Q] [~4q@bot] has quit [Quit: connection reset by beer] [12:26] == [4Q] [~4q@bot] has joined #masspirates [12:26] == mode/#masspirates [+o [4Q]] by ChanServ [12:26] == mode/#masspirates [+v [4Q]] by [4Q] [12:26] == mode/#masspirates [+vvvv zby_home SplendidSpoon mildbeard jokeefe] by [4Q] [12:26] == mode/#masspirates [+vvvv feedbot [bsod] Mozart indicium] by [4Q] [12:26] == mode/#masspirates [+vvvv davidd ageis illunatic ChanServ] by [4Q] [12:27] == mode/#masspirates [+ooo SplendidSpoon jokeefe mildbeard] by [4Q] [12:32] == Shidash [~shidash@770-90-31-295-kwfnkjjm2x.bu.edu] has joined #masspirates [12:32] == mode/#masspirates [+o Shidash] by [4Q] [12:32] == mode/#masspirates [+v Shidash] by [4Q] [12:32] == mode/#masspirates [+l 20] by [4Q] [12:32] <@jokeefe> anything folks want to raise? [12:35] <@mildbeard> I'm working on some IRV stuff to show later. [12:35] <@mildbeard> I am using JSP so it should run on pretty much anything. [12:35] <@mildbeard> In my spare time. [12:36] <@mildbeard> That's all I have. [12:36] <@jokeefe> good [12:39] <@jokeefe> that is all I have [12:40] <@mildbeard> ok move to adjourn [12:41] <@mildbeard> any seconds? [12:42] <@jokeefe> 2nd [12:42] <@jokeefe> all in favor? [12:43] <@mildbeard> aye [12:43] <@Shidash> aye [12:43] <@mildbeard> back to multitasking :) [12:43] <@mildbeard> adios... [12:43] <@jokeefe> aye [12:44] <@jokeefe> take care