February 20th, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search




Goals for Q1:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Officer/Pirate Council Elections


  • Nominations open when we announce and post the form (before 2/20).
  • Nominations due by 4/8
  • Ballots sent out by 4/12
  • Ballot due by 4/23

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Regional Meetings


  • find discussion/voting system
  • update blog theme
  • update civicrm software
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Video Newsletter

Post individual autonomy plank

Mesh Net


Election Campaigns

Bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

HD388 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around.

There isn't a hearing date for it yet, but suggest that we be active in opposing this bill.

Action items:

  • Tell our supporters how to oppose it
  • Look out for a hearing date
  • If possible, reach out to other groups to organize a lobby day


Update Platform

CCTV camera map

Other To Dos

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Computer Donations

On hold - https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 2/26, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 3/5, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 3/10?, morning, Boston-area Pirate Meetup, Boston/Cambridge
  • 3/23, 2pm-4:45pm, Lowell-area Pirate Meetup, Pollard Memorial Library, 401 Merrimack St, Lowell
  • early April?, Worcester-area Pirate Meetup, Worcester


  • Malt: sam capradae, worcester
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville


  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr_
  • davidd
  • Mikaela_Suomalainen
  • bonelesspepsi[m]
  • igel[m]


Pirate_Joe shored up the location for the March Regional

Major legal win from SCOTUS - [1]

Officer/Pirate Council Elections - I will get the announcement out tomorrow or Friday

Boston Sex Worker Petition signature count goes up slowly

Next Video News letter to be recorded on Sunday at 7pm; to be released shortly after.

Cryptoparties in Boston @ Boston College & Boston Public Library



[9:06pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_20th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: Sorry for the tardiness
[9:06pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:06pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:06pm] jokeefe: anything to add?
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: For review, next shutdown?
[9:08pm] jokeefe: I thought we were past that?
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: https://www.politico.com/latest-news-updates/government-shutdown-2018
[9:10pm] jokeefe: aren’t we in the “national emergency” phase?
[9:10pm] jokeefe: though when does the debt ceilling need to get raised?
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: Same thing, only sideways
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: http://www.usdebtclock.org/
[9:11pm] Malt: hi guys
[9:11pm] jokeefe: anything else to add?
[9:12pm] Malt: nyet
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: Nothing serious
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: The only other thing is that I shored up the location for the March Regional
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: We are good to go.
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: Though we had a major legal win
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/us/politics/civil-asset-forfeiture-supreme-court.html
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Isn’t that wonderful news!
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: We should definitely support this.
[9:15pm] Malt: yeah!
[9:15pm] Malt: I was flabberghasted
[9:15pm] Malt: Georgia struck down something invasive related to DWI laws also
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Quite the shift considering it was SCOTUS that allowed it
[9:15pm] jokeefe: in the first place
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Moving on to Projects
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Officer/Pirate Council Elections - I will get the announcement out tomorrow or Friday at the latest.  Been buisy of late.
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Understandable.
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Boston Sex Worker Petition signature count goes up slowly
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings - Still working out Boston-area location and date
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Lowell is all set
[9:20pm] jokeefe: How goes Worcester, Malt?
[9:20pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Will email him
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Tech/Outreach - Haven’t set a date for the meeting since things have been up in the air of late
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: Due to this week's events, do you want to call this until next week?
[9:23pm] jokeefe: this meeting?
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Nothing much of an update so sure.
[9:24pm] malt joined the chat room.
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Do you want to set a date for the next video newsletter?
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: Anytime this weekend, Sunday is better though
[9:25pm] malt: sunday i got brunch
[9:25pm] jokeefe: evening?
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: Afternoon?
[9:25pm] malt: evening
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: I can do that
[9:26pm] jokeefe: 7pm?
[9:26pm] malt: sure
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe?
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Works for me sir
[9:27pm] jokeefe: 7pm this Sunday then
[9:28pm] jokeefe: igel[m] - do you have an update on the mesh net effort?
[9:28pm] jokeefe: I’ll post the individual autonomy plank this weekend
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Cryptoparties - A few coming up
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Boston College, Boston Public Library
[9:31pm] jokeefe: I don’t have any other updates
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: For the next meeting, I would like to discuss how we would like to conduct the Regional meetings
[9:31pm] jokeefe: malt - have we a date for the worcester meetup?
[9:31pm] malt: nnnnot yet
[9:32pm] jokeefe: ok, you have time
[9:32pm] jokeefe: anything else?
[9:32pm] malt: i[m swamped at work rn is all
[9:33pm] jokeefe: hope things quiet a bit for you
[9:33pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn then?
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: I second
[9:33pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:34pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: Good night all, hope everything works out.
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: Do you need me to post the notes Jamie?
[9:35pm] jokeefe: i got the notes
[9:35pm] jokeefe: if you want to post the summary, that would help
[9:35pm] jokeefe: good night
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:35pm] malt: night