February 26th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions

  1. Event Planning
    1. Mar. 4, Will talks about MeshNets
    2. Mar. 15, Boston Peace Parade
    3. Mar. 18, SCATV Pirate Show, 7pm
    4. Mar. 22, Cryptoparty, Worcester
    5. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
    6. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally - Can register now
      1. Payment method?
      2. who's serving as point of contact?
  2. PirateCon 2015
    1. Program updates?
  3. Establishing Regions?
    1. Swarmwise suggests dividing into 20-30 regions.
    2. Jason worked on a first draft of a map which Jamie has expanded with this Region Proposal.

Defer to next meeting?

  1. Restore the 4th Bills - Jamie hasn't posted blog post about them. Will this weekend.
    1. SD1546 Mandates Police Bodycams, protects data - Summary, Bill text
    2. HD430, Reining in Militarization in Massachusetts - Summary & Bill text


Events Summary

  1. Mar. 4, Will talks about MeshNets
  2. Mar. 15, Boston Peace Parade
  3. Mar. 18, SCATV Pirate Show, 7pm
  4. Mar. 22, Cryptoparty, Worcester
  5. Apr. 25, PirateCon 2015
  6. May 6, International Day against DRM
  7. May, Together Boston Cryptoparty?
  8. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
  9. Jun. event?
  10. Jul. event?
  11. Aug. event?
  12. Sep., Freedom Rally
  13. Oct. event?
  14. Nov. event?
  15. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Lulu (Lucia Fiero)
  • Kendra
  • Noe
  • Igel

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby
  • itspara

Minutes

 
21:03 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_26th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:04 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:05 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:05 < Lulu> Lucia Fiero
21:05 < jokeefe> Events - Mar. 15, Boston Peace Parade
21:05 < Lulu> DRESS WARMLY!
21:06 < jokeefe> wanted to see who will make it.  we should start
        calling Bostonians
21:06 < srevilak> I'll be there.  Was wondering if we should have a
        sign-making party
21:06 < Lulu> I intend to be there. Can’t speak for Jason.
21:07 < jokeefe> sign making party sounds good.  would volunteer noe’s
        place, but she should sign off
21:10 < jokeefe> well will bring it up to Noe
21:11 < jokeefe> Update on Mar. 18, SCATV Pirate Show, 7pm? or need Noe
        for that?
21:11 < Lulu> Well, idk if she got to the Voltage today.
21:11 < Lulu> I wasn’t able to.
21:12 < Lulu> I will really try to make it next Th…
21:12 < Lulu> If there is a meeting next Th.
21:12 < jokeefe> ahoy
21:12 < Kendra> Hi
21:12 < Lulu> Frank is a lock. Still no word from BLM
21:13 < jokeefe> Talking about events.  Agenda is
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_26th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:13 < Lulu> If Alex brings someone from his group that is 3 panelists
21:13 < Lulu> 4 if Noe will be a panelist… I could moderate…
21:14 < jokeefe> Talking about SCATV show
21:16 < jokeefe> well need Noe to figure out final details
21:16 < jokeefe> moving on to Mar. 22, Cryptoparty, Worcester
21:17 < Lulu> I will start pestering her more than I have been.
21:17 < jokeefe> will also mention it to her
21:17 < jokeefe> Worcester groups we could invite?
21:18 < Lulu> I will again invite Susan and Rich.
21:18 < Lulu> and ask them for suggestions.
21:18 < Lulu> Hopefully it won’t snow.
21:19 < jokeefe> hopefully
21:19 < Kendra> I know Delia from Jobs not jails lives out there, talked
        to her at the last JNJ meeting about a cryptoparty in the future out
        that way.  I can email her.
21:20 < Lulu> That’s great.
21:20 < jokeefe> thanks to you both.
21:20 < Lulu> Thanks, Kendra.
21:20 < srevilak> Can do craigslist posts
21:20 < Lulu> Yes, that was a good idea.
21:20 < srevilak> Aside from me, who's presenting? :)
21:21 < jokeefe> happy to do so or have others do it.
21:21 < srevilak> We should pick a time to nail down agenda
21:21 < srevilak> perhaps next IRC?
21:21 < Kendra> I would be willing to do another encrypted video chat
        presentation, need to check that I am not working.   Doesn't have to be
        just Jitsi.
21:22 < srevilak> thx Kendra
21:22 < jokeefe> ahoy
21:22 < Lulu> ahoy!
21:22 < noe> ahoy!
21:22 < Lulu> We can roll back to the show?
21:22 < jokeefe> yes, but lets finish this up
21:22 < jokeefe> we are talking about the Worcester cryptoparty, noe
21:23 < jokeefe> srevilak, do we have a post on running an event?
        we should put the craigslist links up there.
21:24 < jokeefe> noe, any update on the SCATV show?
21:24 < noe> We have studio time on March 18th
21:25 < Lulu> You missed the part where I said we have panelists.
21:25 < Lulu> Frank Alex… and you?
21:25 < noe> Officially, cameras should go on at 7pm.  I still need to
        meet with Erica or Ben regarding more details and how many volunteers
        we need.
21:25 < srevilak> jokeefe: you mean an event checklist.  I don't think
        we have one, but it would be a good thing to have
21:26 < Lulu> I’ve been telling ppl to arrive not later than 6:30
21:26 < noe> That is awesome!
21:26 < jokeefe> yes, srevilak
21:26 < Lulu> We need to write the copy for the teleprompter.
21:27 < noe> If we're on top of it enough, we should get the copy to
        our panelists beforehand.  :)
21:28 < jokeefe> who are the panelists?  Lulu said Frank is a go.
21:28 < noe> Or get it here to the IRC so people can look at it and
        give suggestions.
21:28 < Lulu> And Alex, obviously
21:28 < Lulu> I have heard nothing from BLM
21:29 < jokeefe> noe, are you a participant or the moderator?
21:29 < Lulu> Anybody in particular I should try?
21:29 < noe> probably a moderator, but . . .
21:29 < Lulu> you could be a guest if you want
21:29 < noe> i was a  moderator in the summer and a panelist did not
        arrive and I ended up moder-panelling for the issues they represented
21:30 < Lulu> panelist I mean
21:30 < noe> more panelists are always welcome
21:30 < noe> moder-panelling:  the kind of panelling you can find in
        modern houses
21:30 < jokeefe> :-)
21:31 < noe> I am aware that there is always a risk of moder-panelling,
        similar to how when you organize a thing you may end up orga-lecturing
21:31 < Lulu> So other than the BLM gneral mailbox
21:31 < Lulu> I will be at the show OK? Promise.
21:31 < Lulu> Barring disaster.
21:31 < noe> ok.
21:31 < Lulu> So you can do either or both.
21:32 < Lulu> So anyone know anyone specfically from BLM?
21:32 < Lulu> Black Lives Matter Boston?
21:33 < jokeefe> carl williams? comes to mind
21:33 < Lulu> Is he? Didn’t know that\.
21:33 < Lulu> I will ping him on FB for suggestions/ideas
21:33 < noe> Sadly, no.
21:34 < Lulu> Sorry?
21:34 < noe> I don't know anyone specifically from BLM.
21:34 < noe> I know their usernames, but haven't gotten to realname
        status.
21:34 < Lulu> Noe are you free sometime for a phone date to talk about
        the show?
21:34 < Lulu> Some time soonish?
21:35 < noe> Lulu:  yes, Sunday afternoon would work for me
21:35 < Lulu> OK cool.
21:35 < Lulu> If anyone else would like to be involved we could do a
        hangout instead.
21:35 < jokeefe> moving to next item.  going to skip Jun. 13, Boston
        Pride Parade since we talked about it last week
21:35 < Lulu> But if it’s just us two phone is fine, thanks
21:35 < jokeefe> Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally
21:36 < Lulu> Jason and I are a go for both, as usual.
21:36 < jokeefe> good.  srevilak had some questions:
21:36 < jokeefe> Payment method?
21:36 < srevilak> specifically, in-kind or we pay out of pocket.
21:36 < Lulu> How much in the bank?
21:36 < srevilak> And, who's are point of contact with Mass concessions
21:36 < srevilak> $948
21:36 < jokeefe> would like to keep on budget/bank account if we can.
21:37 < Lulu> Prolly the same guy as last year.
21:37 < jokeefe> is that minus mayfirst?
21:37 < Lulu> I met him at set up last year
21:37 < srevilak> No
21:37 < srevilak> $948 - MFPL - Freedom Rally = 448
21:37 < Lulu> Fundraiser!
21:37 < srevilak> plus, we'll owe $300 to CCB for piratecon
21:37 < srevilak> leaving $148
21:37 < noe> whoa
21:37 < Lulu> Time to start calling people.
21:38 < noe> time to donate!
21:38 < jokeefe> I should give you a donation this weekend.
21:38 < Lulu> Joe’s campaign gave 300 bucks
21:38 < srevilak> time to add a fundraising position to pirate council :)
21:38 < Lulu> Who would like that job?
21:38 < srevilak> Lulu: $280 actually, and that's accounted for
21:38 < noe> get that checkholder rready, srevilak, as the checks pour in
21:39 < jokeefe> probably srevilak
21:39 < Lulu> Right… Just trying to give Joe some props
21:39 < Lulu> Though most of that was from you!
21:39 < srevilak> No, definitely props to joe
21:39 < Lulu> :-)
21:39 < jokeefe> aye
21:40 < jokeefe> so payment method is check
21:40 < jokeefe> point of contact?
21:41 < Lulu> for pride?
21:42 < jokeefe> freedom rally
21:42 < Lulu> Tom
21:42 < Lulu> Tom… something… checking
21:42 < jokeefe> who is our point of contact?
21:43 < Lulu> Tom Ferguson
21:43 < Lulu> @ concessions ltd.
21:43 < jokeefe> srevilak, are you asking who will be contacting Tom
        Ferguson?
21:44 < srevilak> Yes, who will liase with Tom Ferguson
21:44 < srevilak> In other words, who's contact info goes on the
        application?
21:45 < Lulu> Jut got an email from a friend about net neutrality victory
        and isn’t OBAMA the big hero?
21:45 < Lulu> Sorry
21:45 < Lulu> Boggles the mind
21:46 < noe> I can do it.  Does it just need to be a breathing human?
21:46 < jokeefe> hi igel
21:46 < noe> Or should I also show up everyday at Freedom Rally?
21:46 < srevilak> Noe, I believe that will do :)
21:46 < igel> yaar
21:46 < Lulu> Oh duh I could do that.
21:46 < Lulu> ahoy
21:46 < noe> ahoy
21:47 < jokeefe> thanks, noe
21:47 < srevilak> Okay
21:47 < igel> oohf, sorry im late.
21:47 < srevilak> This weekend -- will get MFPL payment and Freedom
        rally pmt in the mail
21:47 < jokeefe> any other freedom rally questions srevilak?
21:48 < srevilak> No, no further questions
21:49 < jokeefe> PirateCon 2015 program - still working on speakers,
        anyone else have an update?
21:50 < srevilak> Re: wage inequality
21:50 < srevilak> got a `yes' From socialist alternative
21:50 < jokeefe> good
21:50 < srevilak> waiting for responses from 15 now ma, and Natl
        organization of women
21:51 < srevilak> Will put out call to dollars and sense
21:51 < noe> great job!
21:51 < jokeefe> great
21:51 < jokeefe> anyone else?
21:53 < jokeefe> moving on
21:54 < jokeefe> Establishing Regions - we need to decentralize things
        and having a regional break down would help
21:55 < jokeefe> Jason worked on a first draft of a map which I expanded
        on - https://masspirates.org/wiki/Region_Proposal
21:55 < jokeefe> are they too uneven?
21:56 < Lulu> Not sure how to determine that
21:57 < srevilak> All regions have decent sized populations.  Seems
        reasonable to me
21:57 < jokeefe> equalize by population?
21:57 < noe> some of them have less people and more land mass, but I
        think that makes sense.
21:57 < srevilak> No.  Some areas seem better by themselves, even if
        small population.  Like the islands
21:57 < noe> we want people in those regions to be able to work together,
        meet in person, and if their regions are too large, they probably won't
        be able to.
21:58 < jokeefe> thing is three wmass counties are so small and boston
        is so populated.
21:58 < noe> srevilak:  yes, exactly like islands.
21:59 < Lulu> What Noe said
21:59 < srevilak> jokeefe: yup, you could balance the state on one finger
        ... right under Rt. 128
21:59 < jokeefe> could break up boston, but that seems wrong and difficult
        to then organize it
22:00 < Kendra> This is the joy of politics.  Like anyone can figure out
        a fair way to divide people into regions that makes sense.  Someone will
        always feel dominated. Sorry, Jamie is there an actual map or visual
        infographic or are we just looking at the numbers?
22:00 < noe> numbers, i think.
22:01 < jokeefe> sadly no map, though the city breakdown is later on in
        the page
22:01 < Lulu> Jason can email you the link to the GIS file.
22:01 < Lulu> That is a map
22:01 < Lulu> I will ask him to do that tonight.
22:02 < srevilak> we're at time
22:02 < Kendra> How many different regions would we want to have ideally?
22:02 < jokeefe> ideally 30, but this would give us 22.  just go with
        it for now?
22:03 < srevilak> I'd say go with it
22:03 < jokeefe> not like we cannot change it
22:03 < noe> i like ambition.  22 for now and see if it catches on?
22:03 < Kendra> I'm ok with that.  Also ready to adjourn.
22:03 < Lulu> don’t let perfect...
22:03 < noe> second
22:03 < Lulu> blah blah blah
22:03 < jokeefe> any objections ot the region proposals?
22:03 < srevilak> no objection
22:04 < igel> im not sure i know enough to form an argument against
        regional
22:04 < igel> but i was sort of thinking of voting trends per district.
22:04 < jokeefe> is ok, when you do we can adjust it if need be ;-)
22:04 < igel> HEH
22:05 < jokeefe> ok, motion passes then
22:05 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn?
22:05 < srevilak> motion
22:05 < noe> second!
22:05 < jokeefe> 2nd
22:05 < Kendra> aye
22:05 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:05 < igel> aye
22:05 < Lulu> aye
22:05 < noe> aye
22:05 < srevilak> aye
22:05 < jokeefe> aye
22:05 < jokeefe> night all!  thank you!
22:06 < srevilak> will post transcript