February 27th, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search




Goals for Q1:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform


Regional Meetings

Video Newsletter

Officer/Pirate Council Elections


  • Nominations open when we announce and post the form (before 2/20).
  • Nominations due by 4/8
  • Ballots sent out by 4/12
  • Ballot due by 4/23

Boston Sex Worker Petition


  • find discussion/voting system
  • update blog theme
  • update civicrm software
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Post individual autonomy plank

Mesh Net


Election Campaigns

Bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

HD388 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around.

There isn't a hearing date for it yet, but suggest that we be active in opposing this bill.

Action items:

  • Tell our supporters how to oppose it
  • Look out for a hearing date
  • If possible, reach out to other groups to organize a lobby day

Update Platform

CCTV camera map

Other To Dos

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Computer Donations

On hold - https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 3/5, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 3/10?, morning, Boston-area Pirate Meetup, Boston/Cambridge
  • 3/23, 2pm-4:45pm, Lowell-area Pirate Meetup, Pollard Memorial Library, 401 Merrimack St, Lowell
  • early April?, Worcester-area Pirate Meetup, Worcester



  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr_
  • davidd
  • Mikaela_Suomalainen
  • bonelesspepsi[m]
  • igel[m]




[9:03pm] jokeefe: agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_27th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
[9:03pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:03pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:03pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:03pm] Malt: Hi pals
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:03pm] jokeefe: ahoy Malt
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Ahoy
[9:03pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:04pm] jokeefe: anything to add?
[9:05pm] Malt: ran into some difficulty with the WPL's online reg system
[9:05pm] Malt: so I reached out to Elizabeth from last year to help
[9:05pm] jokeefe: everything all set?
[9:05pm] Malt: i distinctly remembering there being an online event registration portal but i can't find it and there's nothing in my email
[9:06pm] Malt: should be fine i'm just befuddled
[9:06pm] Malt: it's not how i thought i remembered it
[9:08pm] Malt: that's all from me
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: May we jump right in to the budget?
[9:09pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:09pm] Malt: ok
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: We started the year at $1,306.00 and ended at $2,003.90.  That includes the overage that we donated to The Wish Project in Chelmsford.  That is a total increase of $697.90 in funds that went unused.  Most of the funds that were used was for either internet costs of keeping the site going or in print marketing.  The only other expense was for our P.
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: O. Box that Steve took care of.
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: Most spending was done through in-kind, so most of the money just stayed were it was.
[9:11pm] jokeefe: good. is there a budget for 2019?
[9:11pm] Malt: not bad!
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: It would just be a copy/paste of this years budget but we should have about half of that to spend as we see fit.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: Plus there is all the contributions we can accept this year.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:13pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe:
[9:14pm] jokeefe: anything else on the budget?
[9:14pm] Malt: the freedom fest table?
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: I have yet to pay the May first dues but I should be able to get to it soon
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: Unless you would like to pay it and have it as your first in-kind of the year?
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: I do not have a card for the account.
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: https://members.mayfirst.org/dues/?member_id=1195
[9:16pm] jokeefe: let me check for it
[9:16pm] jokeefe: the card
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: If you have one, please pay for it and I will clarify the expenditure with OCPF
[9:16pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings
[9:17pm] jokeefe: boston on should be 3/10
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: 2 in March?
[9:18pm] jokeefe: but we are checking on the price
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Should I push back the meeting in Lowell?
[9:18pm] jokeefe: not ideal
[9:19pm] jokeefe: no
[9:19pm] Malt: i'm looking at the first week in april
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: These meetings seem too close together tbh
[9:20pm] jokeefe: is later in april available?
[9:21pm] Malt: ok
[9:21pm] Malt: i'll be wrapping up a contract at that point so i'll have more time
[9:21pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter
[9:23pm] Malt: sunday?
[9:23pm] Malt: i believe i'm spoken for saturday
[9:23pm] jokeefe: does this weekend work, perhaps in the morning?
[9:23pm] Malt: sunday morning should be fine after 10
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: My Sundays are filling up quick atm
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Monday would be better for me, could you do 7:30 Monday night?
[9:24pm] jokeefe: i can do monday
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Malt?
[9:24pm] Malt: i'll be getting out of class at that point, so i might be a few minutes behind
[9:25pm] jokeefe: 8pm?
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: We can do 8 if that works better for everyone.
[9:25pm] Malt: sure!
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: Anytime after 7:30 I should be good
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: Ok, 8 pmish it is
[9:26pm] jokeefe: 8pm Monday then
[9:26pm] Malt: woot
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Officer/Pirate Council Elections - sorry I haven’t been able to send out the announcement. life has been hectic. aiming to get it out tomorrow.
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Ok, great
[9:29pm] Malt:
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Boston Sex Worker Petition - I will start an email discussion on the email list about it and promoting it. There are efforts to decriminalize sex work in NYC
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Flyer?
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: I would rather have flyers for the regional meetings
[9:30pm] Malt: double side it
[9:30pm] Malt: we'll attract a fair number of johns we can shanghai
[9:30pm] Malt: real boost to numbers
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Ok. Will see about what we can create.  Will look at the previous one.
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Tech/Outreach - still scheduling the meeting
[9:32pm] jokeefe: igel[m] you there?
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Post individual autonomy plank - working on it
[9:33pm] jokeefe: That is all I have
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: Motion to Adjourn?
[9:35pm] Malt: 2nd
[9:35pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:35pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:35pm] jokeefe: thanks to you both
[9:36pm] Malt: aye
[9:36pm] Malt: sleep well buddy
[9:36pm] jokeefe: you too
[9:36pm] jokeefe: both
[9:36pm] Malt: will update you all when the reservation is made for late april
[9:36pm] jokeefe: I’ll post the minutes
[9:36pm] jokeefe: perfect
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: aye
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: night
[9:37pm] jokeefe: good night