February 28th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  • Pride Parade registration
  • Quartermaster update
  • Massachusetts drug testing lab scandal
  • Piratecon venue

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Fundraising & Conference

Starting Local Chapters

Campaign Workshops

Message board application

Local Surveillance Ordinances

Cryptoparties

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign

Projects On Hold For the Moment

Both of these could be topics for future hackathons.

CCTV Camera Map

Looking at organizing a map-a-thon.

Together Boston Meshnet

Upcoming Events

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • srevilak
  • jokeefe
  • def-not-G

Observers

  • Techrev
  • papegaai
  • Sankey
  • davidd
  • igel

Summary

Pride. Steve spoke with event organizers. Might have to change registration to a different category. Should know in a day or two

Recent expenses: name.com, MF/PL, fundraising. Some income from fundraising. Projected balance after these transactions -- around $972.

Drug lab scandall. We signed on to a letter urging DA's to fix their mess. https://twitter.com/masspirates/status/836233460603834368. Good turn out at the protest.

Fundraising: Aaron spoke with ~50 people. 10--12 offered to contribute. Three contributions so far. A number of bad phone numbers to clean out. We'll take a break from fundraising for now, and do another push in April, before the conference.

Conference. Really do need to nail down venue. Will give tent city another day or so; will then try community church.

Goal: come up with a draft of pirate platform ("planks"), to finish off at piratecon. Previous work in this area: https://github.com/masspirates/planks

To Dos

Minutes

 
21:06 < jokeefe> lets get started
21:06 < jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_28th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:06 < papegaai> Title: February 28th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate
        Wiki (at masspirates.org)
21:06 < jokeefe> ids
21:06 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:06 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:06 < jokeefe> Anything to review?
21:06 < srevilak> yes
21:06 < srevilak> Pride Parade registration.
21:07 < srevilak> I spoke with the organizers of Pride earlier tonight,
        re: our registration
21:07 < def-not-G> oh it's also me, totally not G, Lowell . sorry i was
        on the other page looking
21:07 < jokeefe> no worries def-not-G
21:07 < srevilak> The solidarity registration is something new, and
        their board is vetting each group that signs up as "solidarity"
21:07 < def-not-G> in case the 2 or 3 of you didn't know who i was not
21:07 < srevilak> def-not-G: :)
21:08 < srevilak> I provided our EIN and explanation of how to access
        or financials via OCPF
21:08 < srevilak> Their board will discuss us.  But they may ask us to
        pay a higher registration fee
21:08 < srevilak> should find out in a day or so
21:08 < srevilak> over
21:09 < srevilak> will keep you guys posted on how that works out
21:09 < srevilak> questions?
21:09 < igel> lo
21:09 < jokeefe> ok
21:09 < srevilak> hi igel
21:09 < igel> william fleurant, arlington ma
21:09 < jokeefe> ahoy igel
21:10 < igel> evening hi
21:10 < jokeefe> thanks for keeping us updated
21:10 < jokeefe> srevilak
21:10 < srevilak> Quartermaster update
21:11 < jokeefe> ok
21:11 < srevilak> Just paid Mayfirst.  Received invoice from name.com,
        which I'll pay tomorrow
21:11 < srevilak> Will also be cutting a check for fundraising expenses,
        later this week
21:11 < jokeefe> I have a report on that later
21:12 < srevilak> okay, I'll let you report on the later
21:12 < srevilak> (end of quartermaster update)
21:12 < jokeefe> what do we have in the bank after expenses?
21:13 < srevilak> About $972.
21:13 < srevilak> That's before any extra expediture for pride
21:13 < jokeefe> thanks for the update
21:14 < srevilak> If nothing else, I'll move to the next review item
21:14 < srevilak> Piratecon venue
21:14 < jokeefe> We signed a letter urging the DAs to fix their mess
        with the drug lab scandals
21:15 < jokeefe> 40 groups signed in all
21:15 < jokeefe> Good turn out at the protest yesterday
21:15 < def-not-G> what was protest? about the labs?
21:16 < jokeefe> yes -
        https://twitter.com/masspirates/status/836233460603834368
21:16 < papegaai> Title: Mass. Pirate Party op Twitter: "Thanks
        to @onekade for organizing & all who came out for justice for
10,000s of drug lab victims. Check out https://t.co/MBM5xnPw0i to
        help! https://t.co/verMhbo8UG" (at twitter.com)
21:16 < jokeefe> well the 10,000s of people who were convicted with
        false lab reports
21:17 < jokeefe> A group to keep in touch with about next steps. Lots
        of tainted trials.
21:17 < srevilak> It's amazing how much a mess one individual managed
        to make
21:18 < jokeefe> Yes, and apparently there is another person at the lab
        in Amherst I think
21:18 < srevilak> ah
21:18 < jokeefe> Any other things for review?
21:18 < def-not-G> is this something we could attack legistlatively at
        the state level?
21:19 < jokeefe> sure
21:19 < jokeefe> The SJC left it to the DAs to clean up, and gave them
        a deadline
21:19 < srevilak> jokeefe: not review, but I'd like to talk about
        Piratecon a little (when appropriate)
21:19 < jokeefe> ok
21:19 < jokeefe> Two groups: ones to free and one to try again
21:20 < jokeefe> If they don’t and SJC doesn’t do anything about it,
        then legislature could
21:21 < jokeefe> Could put pressure on the legislature to get them to
        make some noise.
21:21 < jokeefe> Is that something you want to check on def-not-G?
21:22 < def-not-G> what was Kade/ ACLUm pushing? a petition or anything?
21:23 < def-not-G> you guys well know my head is in foreign policy 90%
        of the time.  after the various debacles w ACLUm. RT4, and DT4 i stopped
        bothering about state level politics
21:23 < jokeefe> not ACLU
21:24 < def-not-G> Kade is not ACLU anymore?
21:24 < jokeefe> side project
21:24 < jokeefe>
        https://nodrugarrests.net/druglab/coalition-demands-dismissal-tainted-convit/
21:24 < papegaai> Title: Statewide coalition demands full dismissal of
        all tainted convictions No Drug Arrests Collective (at nodrugarrests.net)
21:24 < jokeefe> letter called for dismissing all tainted convictions
21:25 < jokeefe> Gets attention for the issue.
21:26 < jokeefe> Any endorsements anyone want to propose?
21:27 < jokeefe> Otherwise, moving on to projects
21:28 < jokeefe> Fundraising & Conference
21:28 < jokeefe> Update on Aaron’s called
21:28 < jokeefe> He has phone #s for 150 people. Called each # 3 times.
21:28 < srevilak> Conference: haven't heard back from tent city.
        Will write again
21:28 < jokeefe> ~10 wrong #s
21:29 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak
21:29 < jokeefe> We should lock that down soon
21:29 < srevilak> (perhaps finish with fundraising, then come back
        to conference?)
21:29 < def-not-G> daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that's some dedication to phone
        banking.
21:29 < def-not-G> phone banking sucks
21:30 < jokeefe> He spoke to ~50 people, 10-12 offered to give, have
        received from 3 so far: $130
21:30 < jokeefe> He is going to follow up starting Friday. Probably with
        emails, then then with a call.
21:31  * srevilak will clean out bad phone numbers sometime in the next
        few days
21:31 < jokeefe> I believe he did that.
21:31 < jokeefe> But cannot hurt to check. Thanks
21:31 < srevilak> If Aaron already did that, my job will be quick :)
21:32 < jokeefe> We have more people in the database, but we need to
        add phone numbers / email fundraiser
21:33 < jokeefe> He will hold off until we get more numbers, but should
        revisit in early April once PirateCon is settled and tell people about it
21:34 < jokeefe> Will need to look at mailing folks as well.
21:34 < jokeefe> That is all I have
21:34 < jokeefe> on the conference - the page is up at
        https://masspirates.org/blog/conference/
21:34 < papegaai> Title: PirateCon 2017 | Massachusetts Pirate Party
        (at masspirates.org)
21:35 < jokeefe> I am going to reach out to volunteers about cleaning
        up the 2015/2016 conference videos
21:35 < srevilak> Re: piratecon, if tent city doesnt' work out, any
        thoughts for a plan B venue?
21:36 < jokeefe> Community Church?
21:36 < srevilak> Or democracy center?
21:38 < srevilak> Will try community church later in the week, if I
        don't hear back from tent city
21:39 < jokeefe> Demo center has more rooms, but I thought was too busy.
21:40 < jokeefe> Community Church is wheel chair accessible.
21:40 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak
21:40 < srevilak> yes, looking at Democracy center's calendar, they've
        got a pretty packed agenda
21:40 < jokeefe> def-not-G, any update on Starting Local Chapters calls?
21:41 < srevilak> I have one other conference item
21:42 < igel> shoot
21:42 < def-not-G> i haven't called anyone in the past couple weeks. it's
        not productive.
21:42 < jokeefe> sure
21:42 < jokeefe> srevilak
21:42 < jokeefe> please proceed
21:42 < srevilak> was at board of selectmens meeting last week, for
        warrant article hearings
21:43 < srevilak> One group proposed a resolution article, based on
        https://represent.us/
21:43 < papegaai> Title: End corruption. Defend the Republic. |
        Represent.Us (at represent.us)
21:43 < srevilak> The selectmen voted no action, but I went to the
        article proponents after meeting, to thank them for trying
21:44 < srevilak> Have to look at group a bit more, but they might be
        worth inviting to give a panel
21:44 < srevilak> At the very least, some of the folks took the initiave
        to petition our town's govt
21:44 < srevilak> (end of item)
21:45 < jokeefe> something to consider
21:46 < jokeefe> def-not-G: calls aren’t productive?
21:48 < def-not-G> i mean we been over this.  you want me to recruit to a
        political party that doesn't have a legislative mission.  we need a call
        to action that is branded with our name to get people on board to advance
        our mission, or else i don't know how to rally troops without a banner
21:51 < jokeefe> ok. personally, I lead with getting the corrupt sobs
        out who shuffle our money off to Hollywood and big corporations while
        raising taxes on the poor and middle class, but if you feel we need more,
        we should work on that
21:52 < def-not-G> but what does that mean?
21:52 < def-not-G> change for the sake of change ain't winning no
        popularity contest unless you wanna arc to the hard right
21:53 < srevilak> There could be merit in pushing back against the
        one-party system in MA
21:53 < jokeefe> yeah, but even that isn’t enough.
21:53 < igel> hmm
21:54 < igel> bernie sanders has legislative mission
21:54 < def-not-G> absolutely, Steve.  but we need a signature plank to
        be like., "this is what we are trying to do"
21:54 < def-not-G> Sanders... ya bombing the crap out of everyone is
        his mission :P
21:54 < srevilak> I think I see what def-not-G is struggling with:
        form a local group, but what does the local group do?
21:54 < igel> i'm not so sure he said that
21:55 < srevilak> Or, what kind of project does the local group work on?
21:55 < jokeefe> well not explicitly, igel
21:55 < def-not-G> well it's what does our state party do? the locals
        shoudl support the state mission
21:57 < def-not-G> that mission should be legislative.  this Kade
        thing... maybe we can work something out of that. i dunno. the feds are
        about to crack down hard it looks like, now's the time but we can't get
        caught up supporting and being proxies to others. we gotta takea lead
        on something to pull people to our banner
21:57 < jokeefe> agreed
21:57 < jokeefe> been using the cryptoparties, but that only goes so far
21:57 < srevilak> Yes, we want to nail down a short list
21:58 < def-not-G> looks like that bastard is coming for our weed, too.
21:58 < def-not-G> #ComeAndTokeIt, mofos
21:58 < def-not-G> :D
21:58 < srevilak> I think Jeff Session is definitely coming for your weed
21:58 < def-not-G> i don't blame him. it's good stuff. lol
21:58 < jokeefe> lol
21:59 < jokeefe> srevilak, how goes the alternatives to irc tech task?
21:59 < srevilak> You mean the discussion board?
21:59 < jokeefe> aye
22:00 < igel> oof
22:00 < jokeefe> We can finalize our planks at PirateCon, but there
        needs to be a lot of discussion in the next two months
22:00 < srevilak> Puer and I had started looking at discourse
22:00 < jokeefe> And I have the bboard software on my plate
22:01 < srevilak> Discourse relies on certain absolute paths (e.g.,
        putting things in /var).  Unless we can figure out how to more things
        around, we'd need a dedicated VM
22:01 < srevilak> mybb (I think, what the DE pirates use) seems like
        less adminstrative/setup overhead
22:02 < jokeefe> how much more is that?
22:02 < srevilak> Will have to ask
22:02 < jokeefe> well, if you two want to focus on myBB, I am happy to
        relinquish that task to you
22:03 < srevilak> Will have to ask MF/PL.  Alternative is looking
        at another hosting provider, and perhaps its not something we keep
        permanently
22:03 < jokeefe> kind of need to keep it permanently
22:03 < igel> i have metal.. can host/maintain
22:04 < igel> dedicated metal, in datacenters with privacy laws :)
22:04 < jokeefe> thanks
22:04 < jokeefe> def-not-G is right, we need to finalize our platform
        and PirateCon is a good due date
22:05 < igel> if it saves time/money, feel free to ping me ill put on
        my shortlist w/ a proposed setup
22:06 < srevilak> thanks, igel
22:06 < jokeefe> Will dig up what we put in the git repo. Can see if we
        can gel it down to 9-10 weeks worth of stuff and post a blog entry a week
22:07 < jokeefe> We are at time
22:07 < jokeefe> But to be sure. Aim for our planks for PirateCon for
        final approval?
22:08 < igel> yeah time to get hype
22:08 < srevilak> jokeefe: agreed, time to mend the plans
22:08 < srevilak> jokeefe: agreed, time to mend the planks
22:08 < def-not-G> aye. if we want to grow we should try to figure our
        planks by the end of the convention, like the big boys do :P
22:08 < jokeefe> you good def-not-G?
22:08 < def-not-G> ...big boys and girls
22:08 < def-not-G> whatever
22:08 < jokeefe> lol
22:09 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn. got a 2nd?
22:09 < def-not-G> trying to be inclusive. lol :P
22:09 < srevilak> second
22:09 < def-not-G> senconded
22:09 < srevilak> will post transcript