February 29th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review & Decisions

No Phone Backdoors Protest

Discussion of Senate FOIA bill

Campaigns Status

PirateCon 2016

Emailed notice about the survey. Post scheduled.

Looking at streaming options.

2016 Campaign

2016 Campaign Plan & Task Status

Regional Convention & Contacting Members

  • Joe Thornton offered to call Boston
  • Lulu is calling Worcester & South
  • jokeefe calling volunteers

Candidate Status

  • Noe, Steve and jokeefe are calling potential candidates

Upcoming Events

  1. 3/1, Mass. Presidential Primary
  2. 3/19-20, LibrePlanet 2016 conference, MIT Stata Center, Cambridge, Edward Snowden is the keynote speaker. Our crypto-corner is the last half of lunch, into the first session after lunch (around two hours), both Saturday and Sunday.
  3. 3/26, 1pm, Cryptoparty, South Coast Innovator Labs, Building A, 1380 Bay Street, Taunton
  4. 3/30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville

Every Wed., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • aquaticonions (Eli Haber, Lexington MA)
  • igel (William Fleurant, Arlington MA)

Observers

  • Pharyngeal
  • davidd

Summary

No Phone Backdoors protest (aka no FBiOS) went well. 30 participants. Good press coverage. Follow-up blog post: https://masspirates.org/blog/2016/02/29/tuesdays-no-phone-backdoor-rally-was-a-success.

Senate FOIA bill. Main bill was S.2120. A later numbered bill, S.2127 is S.2120, with amendments. Marked up copy at 2015 S.2127 An Act to improve public records. Will take some time to digest changes with amendments; plan to bring bill back up for discussion in two weeks (March 14th), during our usual IRC meeting.

PirateCon 2016. Survey mailed out; post goes up soon.

Minutes

 
21:02 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_29th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:03 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:03 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:03 < aquaticonions> Eli Haber, Lexington MA
21:04 <@igel> William Fleurant, Arlington MA
21:04 <@Bluestreak> Hola igel
21:04 <@igel> habla que tal :]
21:05 <@igel> tuesday TuesDay TuESDAY!
21:05 <@igel> be there there there there....
21:05 <@jokeefe> Review & Decisions
21:05 <@jokeefe> No Phone Backdoors Protest went will at least 30 people
        over the duration.  Lots of press.
21:06 <@jokeefe> posted thank you at
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2016/02/29/tuesdays-no-phone-backdoor-rally-was-a-success/
21:06 <@jokeefe> some progress -
        http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/apple-prevails-in-forced-iphone-unlock-case-in-new-york-court/
21:07 <@srevilak> That's encouraging
21:07 <@Bluestreak> Channel seven reported that there was no more than
        “a baker’s dozen” at the Apple demo.
21:07 <@Bluestreak> #msmlies
21:08 <@jokeefe> yes, to be expected
21:08 <@Bluestreak> This most recent ruling was about a drus case.
21:09 <@Bluestreak> If they rule against Apple because: Terrorism,
        we all know that back doors will be used in drugs cases.
21:10 <@jokeefe> and car crashes
21:10 <@jokeefe> Discussion of Senate FOIA bill
21:10 <@jokeefe> Marked up copy of the bill
21:10 <@jokeefe>
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2015_S.2120_An_Act_to_improve_public_records
21:11 <@srevilak> Nice job
21:12 <@srevilak> had a chance to read through S2120 last night.
        There is some good stuff in there
21:12 <@jokeefe> is Bill S.2127 the same as S.2120?
21:13 <@jokeefe> doesn’t look the same
21:13 <@srevilak> This is a good question.
21:13 <@srevilak> my printed copy definitely says 2120
21:13 <@Bluestreak> GTG, sorry. Send you a PM jokeefe. See y’all soon
        I hope.
21:14 <@srevilak> Let's see, we have
        https://malegislature.gov/Bills/189/Senate/S2120/History
21:14 <@jokeefe> Bill history 2/4/2016	Senate	Reprinted as amended,
        see S2127
21:14 <@jokeefe> 2/4/2016	Senate	Substituted as amended for H3858
21:14 <@jokeefe> 2/4/2016	Senate	See H3858
21:14 <@srevilak> I see:
        https://malegislature.gov/Bills/189/Senate/S2127/History
21:15 <@srevilak> S2127 is the amended version of S.2120
21:16 <@srevilak> will have to read that one
21:16 <@igel> yeh, im just searching for terms on it..
21:18 <@jokeefe> updating
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2015_S.2127_An_Act_to_improve_public_records
21:20 <@jokeefe> they don’t make it easy to edit
21:21 <@jokeefe> SECTION 3A. Said section 7 of said chapter 4, as so
        appearing, is hereby further amended by striking out, in line 231,
        and in line 242, the second time it appears, the word “home”.
21:26  * srevilak thinks our legislators need the concept of `diff'
21:26 <@jokeefe> yes.
21:26 <@jokeefe> comments?
21:27 <@srevilak> I need to spend some time with the new version.
        I'd also like to take a look at some of the individual amendments
21:28 <@jokeefe> Yeah, there is much to this.
21:28 <@igel> no comments, trying to read whatever i put in summerize
21:28 <@jokeefe> push off to two weeks from now? srevilak, can you make
        that meeting?
21:29 <@srevilak> I think the next BOS meeting will be the 7th, so 2
        weeks should be okay
21:29  * srevilak checks arlington's public meeting calendar
21:30 <@srevilak> yes, Have monday meeting on Mar 7th.	Following week
        is okay
21:31 <@jokeefe> igel, aquaticonions, does that work for you two?
21:31 <@aquaticonions> checking now
21:31 <@aquaticonions> depends on time for me. What time are we thinking?
21:33 <@srevilak> usual monday time, 9pm -- no?
21:33 <@jokeefe> yes
21:33 <@aquaticonions> ok, just making sure. sounds fine to me
21:34 <@igel> prob. not. but, will set a remdr.
21:35 <@igel> unsure, but wiki so i'll beok heh.
21:36 <@jokeefe> srevilak, does that work?
21:36 <@jokeefe> time?
21:37 <@srevilak> yes
21:38 <@jokeefe> ok then
21:38 <@jokeefe> PirateCon 2016
21:39 <@jokeefe> survey was mailed out
21:39 <@jokeefe> post goes up soon
21:39 <@jokeefe> have list of candidates and volunteers to call
21:40 <@jokeefe> as well as regional members
21:40 <@srevilak> jokeefe: this evening, I added "Next Election" as one
        of the `survey' responses
21:40 <@srevilak> (minor change)
21:42 <@jokeefe> in Conference Topics?
21:42 <@jokeefe> not seeing it
21:42 <@srevilak> jokeefe: no - for "Do you want to run in 2016"
        phonebank survey
21:43 <@srevilak> Sorry - was responding to "have list of candidates
        and volunteers to call"
21:43 <@jokeefe> oh ok
21:46 <@jokeefe> anything to add?
21:46 <@srevilak> jokeefe: looking at piratecon 2016, should there be a
        "would you want to give a presentation" question?
21:46 <@jokeefe> that would be a good addition
21:48 <@jokeefe> well if there is nothing else, shall we adjourn?
21:49 <@srevilak> nothing else from me
21:51 <@jokeefe> will treat that as a 2nd
21:51 <@jokeefe> all in favor of adjourning?
21:51 <@srevilak> aye to adjourn
21:52 <@jokeefe> aye
21:52 <@aquaticonions> aye
21:52 <@igel> aye
21:53 <@srevilak> will post transcript