February 5th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  1. Feb. 4th Cryptoparties

Decisions

  1. Cryptoparties
    1. Feb. 14th, WMass & dinner afterward. Facebook event. civi event.
  2. PirateCon 2015
    1. Program
      1. FOIA - Steve
      2. Open Gov. or Rethinking the City - Jamie
      3. Net neutrality - Lucia
      4. Income inequality - Steve
      5. Pirate Strategy - ?
      6. Building 3rd party coalitions - Noe
      7. Running campaigns - Noe
      8. Lightning talks - ?
  3. 2015 Budget
  4. State Reorg - Review
    1. Currently the Pirate Council is made up of the Captain, First Officer, Quartermaster, and 3 others.
    2. Perhaps we should define roles for the 3 other Pirate Council members and expand their number: PR/Media, Activism, Swarmcare and Web/Info.
  5. Establishing Regions?
    1. Swarmwise suggests dividing into 20-30 regions.
    2. Jason worked on a first draft of a map which Jamie has expanded with this Region Proposal.
  6. National Matters
    1. The USPP elected new officers and Jamie is subbing in as Quartermaster/Secretary. He would like a replacement.

Events Summary

  1. Feb. 8 (week of), Pirate Show, SCATV (Noe)
  2. Feb. 14, 11:00a - 3:00p. WMass Cryptoparty (lisbon), Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center, 100 Bigelow Street, Holyoke, MA (http://mghpcc.com/), Snow date is Feb 21st, dates tentative. duration 4 hours. Need to supply our own projector.
  3. Mar. 15, Boston Peace Parade
  4. Mar. 22, Cryptoparty, Worcester
  5. Apr. 25, PirateCon 2015
  6. May 6, International Day against DRM
  7. May, Together Boston Cryptoparty?
  8. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
  9. Jun. event?
  10. Jul. event?
  11. Aug. event?
  12. Sep., Freedom Rally
  13. Oct. event?
  14. Nov. event?
  15. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • lisbon (Christopher Maria - Ludlow, MA)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • noe

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

Planning discussion for Feb 14th cryptoparty in Western MA.

Piratecon. We discuss refreshments. Will keep it simple. Say, coffee and donuts in the morning, and light snack in the evening.

Voting to approve 2015 Budget. 6 in favor, no opposed.

State reorganization. Currently have Captain, First Office, Quartermaster + 3 members of pirate council. jokeefe suggests expanding pirate council to six, and adding new roles: PR/Media, Activism, Swarmcare and Web/Info. jokeefe will write up proposal, so we can vote on it next week.

Minutes

 
20:57 < jokeefe> ahoy
21:00 < lisbon> ahoy
21:00 < Bluelustreak> Ahoy
21:02 < srevilak> good evening
21:02 < lisbon> hello
21:02 < jokeefe> hello
21:02 < jokeefe> Agenda at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_5th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:03 < Bluestreak> Hey can y'all see me?
21:03 < lisbon> yes
21:03 < Bluestreak> My chat wind is weird.
21:03 < Bluestreak> Well it works so...
21:03 < Bluestreak> window
21:04 < jokeefe> hope it stays up
21:04 < jokeefe> agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_5th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:04 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:04 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:04 < lisbon> Christopher Maria - Ludlow, MA
21:05 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:05 < jokeefe> Review: how did yesterday’s cryptoparty go?
21:06 < srevilak> Went well.  About 30 people attended
21:06 < jokeefe> great!
21:07 < jokeefe> much time for hands on?
21:07 < srevilak> not much.
21:08 < srevilak> Only a few people had laptops, so it was more
        lecture-style
21:08 < srevilak> Seemed to get a good reaction, though
21:08 < jokeefe> and a crowd that shoudl have less difficulty with the
        poor UI experience
21:09 < srevilak> Considering the state of travel in Boston and Cambridge,
        I was impressed with the turnout
21:09 < jokeefe> tis true
21:10 < srevilak> One of the Akamai fellows talked about his 3+ hour
        commute home the night before
21:10 < jokeefe> yeah
21:10 < jokeefe> learn anything new?
21:11 < srevilak> I was familiar with the material, but enjoyed Al's
        talk on GnuPG
21:12 < srevilak> Have to think about which bits to incorporate into my
        talk :)
21:12 < jokeefe> did he post his slides?
21:12 < srevilak> Not yet.  Have to ping him for copies
21:12 < srevilak> Posted mine on the blog earlier this evening
21:13 < jokeefe> thank you
21:13 < jokeefe> Decisions
21:13 < srevilak> Q: does Akamai's cambridge office have a WAN backhaul
        through NYC?
21:13 < srevilak> never mind, on to decisions
21:14 < jokeefe> it might, but I haven’t looked
21:14 < jokeefe> WMass Cryptoparty & dinner afterward - will get the
        email out for either Sunday or Monday morning.  Am inclined to do Monday,
        but may try Sunday.
21:15 < srevilak> Monday should be fine
21:15 < jokeefe> Will confirm with AL.
21:15 < srevilak> Thx.  I wrote to him earlier this week, but haven't
        heard back
21:15 < jokeefe> The next one will announce piratecon
21:15 < jokeefe> you want to ping him or should I?
21:16 < srevilak> I'll ping him
21:16 < jokeefe> ok
21:16 < srevilak> in terms of responses: one for post-cryptoparty + myself
21:16 < srevilak> One other response via email
21:16 < srevilak> hard to judge potential turnout at this point
21:16 < jokeefe> I take it noe will be there
21:16 < Bluestreak> Not sure I can be there. Sure Jason can't.
21:17 < jokeefe> Bluestreak would you be able to put up facebook events?
21:17 < srevilak> Don't know if Noe's attending or not
21:17 < jokeefe> thought she was planning to
21:17 < lisbon> Generally, events in my area either get a great turnout ,
        or nearly none at all
21:18 < srevilak> I'll take 50/50
21:18 < Bluestreak> FB event, sure.
21:18 < jokeefe> any luck with the craigs list post?
21:18 < jokeefe> thank you Bluestreak
21:18 < srevilak> jokeefe: planning to put that up this weekend
21:18 < jokeefe> thank you
21:18 < jokeefe> I was on the hook for a flier, but got snowed in with
        house issues
21:18 < Bluestreak> Where is dinner after or do I need that info?
21:19 < jokeefe> lisbon, do you have time to put any up, maybe at school?
21:19 < noe> ahoy!
21:19 < jokeefe> ahoy!
21:19 < jokeefe> talking about Wmass cryptoparty
21:19 < Bluestreak> ahoy
21:19 < srevilak> Bluestreak:
        https://masspirates.org/crew/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=5
21:19 < lisbon> hello, and jokeefe, yes of course
21:19 < lisbon> Just send it over
21:20 < jokeefe> ok, will get you something by Sat morning.  thank you
        lisbon
21:20 < srevilak> noe: will you be able to attend Feb 14th cryptoparty?
21:20 < lisbon> ant time
21:20 < Bluestreak> Thanks sreviak
21:20 < noe> As long as I can get a ride to and from, I can do it!
21:20 < srevilak> I can provide a ride
21:20 < jokeefe> great
21:20 < jokeefe> Moving on to PirateCon 2015
21:21 < jokeefe> Since we have a FOIA panel and did open gov, last time,
        I thought it would be good to have a panel on Rethinking the City
21:22 < jokeefe> could have an open gov. person on it, but it would
        broaden it a bit
21:22 < srevilak> jokeefe:  what's `Rethinking the city' entail?
21:22 < noe> I enjoy the idea of talking about infrastructure and
        maintenance
21:22 < noe> yummmmm
21:22 < srevilak> I agree with noe
21:22 < noe> or downgrading infrastructure to make things more manageable
        . . . yummm
21:23 < lisbon> * says comcast
21:23 < noe> but i think this is probably "radical innovation updating
        already planned places that are faltering somehow"
21:23 < noe> ?
21:23 < jokeefe> Had an interesting conversation with Seth Zeren, a friend
        of Kits, back in October.  He mentioned the idea of tactical urbanism -
        https://www.cnu.org/sites/www.cnu.org/files/tacticalurbanismvol2final.pdf
21:24 < jokeefe> I figure we can talk about open gov data, law hacking,
        democracy, muni wifi, gov. surveillance
21:25 < Bluestreak> Not loading for me
21:25 < Bluestreak> Muni wifi?
21:25 < lisbon> me neither
21:25 < Bluestreak> That's in public spaces.
21:26 < Bluestreak> Also important: Muni boadband to people's homes
        and businesses.
21:26 < Bluestreak> r
21:26 < jokeefe> yes see Muni wifi/broadband as related
21:26 < Bluestreak> as a municipal utility
21:26 < Bluestreak> Yes of course
21:27 < jokeefe> anyway that is where I was thinking of going
21:27 < Bluestreak> Just wanted to make sure her sister gets to the
        dance, too.
21:27 < jokeefe> aye
21:27 < Bluestreak> So who is working this panel?
21:28 < jokeefe> me
21:28 < jokeefe> at least I am the point person
21:28 < Bluestreak> Loaded. Long. will read later.
21:28 < jokeefe> Leilani had some good suggestions for people for the
        net neutrality panel
21:29 < jokeefe> will start contacting them
21:29 < Bluestreak> Any orphan panels still?
21:29 < jokeefe> Pirate Strategy
21:29 < jokeefe> Lightning talks
21:29 < jokeefe> you are welcome to net neutrality if you want
21:29 < noe> (the tactical urbanism is long and windy, but fun
        . . . geared towards making cities more person friendly)
21:30 < jokeefe> I could take Pirate Strategy
21:30 < lisbon> Please explain what lightning talks are?
21:30 < Bluestreak> Why don't I take NN
21:30 < jokeefe> fine with me
21:30 < Bluestreak> Leave strategy to the cap'n
21:30 < jokeefe> srevilak has a good explanation I am sure ;-)
21:30 < noe> Lightning talks are usually five minutes-ish
21:30 < lisbon> thanks noe
21:30 < Bluestreak> OK well I say Leilani's email, I will reach out to
        her suggestions
21:31 < noe> They don't require much extra prep!
21:31 < jokeefe> thank you
21:31 < srevilak> lisbon: lightning talk = short impromptu 5 minute
        presentation
21:31 < noe> I've seen lightning talks that were great, but it can feel
        similar to an elevator speech
21:32 < lisbon> I see
21:32 < jokeefe> people sign up and go in the order they signed up
21:32 < srevilak> lisbon: people typically sign up to give them on the
        spot, though we could do advance signups
21:33 < jokeefe> on the spot is more spontaneous
21:33 < srevilak> lightning talks are pretty easy.  Just need a list,
        and a timekeeper
21:33 < lisbon> that sounds interesting, How many people usually
        participate in these talks?
21:34 < Bluestreak> How does one find participants?
21:34 < srevilak> lisbon: Typically (# minutes allocated)/5
21:34 < noe> Usually, they are people at PirateCon who feel excited
21:34 < jokeefe> think we had 7-12 last time?
21:34 < srevilak> jokeefe: something like that
21:34 < noe> I've seen talks by Pirates on a simple, coding project or
        an issue they feel that we haven't presented or an issue they have an
        idea for solving
21:35 < srevilak> at last conference, igel gave talk on cjdns
21:35 < jokeefe> so if you wanted to run them lisbon, that would be
        helpful
21:35 < srevilak> igel is also presenting at next boston desktop linux
        users group on 3/4
21:35 < jokeefe> great!
21:36 < jokeefe> noe / srevilak - how go your panels?
21:36 < Bluestreak> Yes more meat net.
21:36 < Bluestreak> mesh
21:36 < Bluestreak> auto correct
21:36 < Bluestreak> lol
21:37 < srevilak> jokeefe: status on FOIA is unchanged.  Planning to
        work on income inequality this week, weather permitting
21:37 < jokeefe> sure, Bluestreak ;-)
21:37 < noe> That is a great question:  I will probably take many things
        I have written and ask people I know for feedback
21:37 < lisbon> jokeefe, Seems fairly simple, should we possibly include
        lightningtalks if there is any time left at the Wmass cryptoparty?
21:37 < noe> I am excited about Feb. 26th's upcoming FCC decision
21:38 < srevilak> lisbon: I think that's a good idea
21:38 < jokeefe> ++
21:38 < jokeefe> on both
21:38 < lisbon> noe, I am hoping not to be disappointed by the FCC
        yet again
21:39 < noe> me tooo . . .
21:39 < Bluestreak> Wait, isn't congress chomping at the bit to shoot
        the ruling down?
21:39 < jokeefe> probably
21:39 < noe> well, congress chomps a lot.
21:39 < jokeefe> ha ha
21:39 < Bluestreak> Too early for me to get excited.
21:39 < noe> i watched some of their deliberation on the 56th attempt
        to shut down the ACA
21:39 < Bluestreak> Fucking theater.
21:40 < noe> riveting and hilarious!  grandstanding!  improper use
        of prepositions!
21:40 < noe> too much chomping.
21:40 < noe> and this was just last week
21:40 < Bluestreak> ACA isn't what we asked for to begin with and now
        all the dumbest are defending it.
21:40 < Bluestreak> dembots
21:40 < jokeefe> anything else on PirateCon for now?
21:41 < noe> can we tactically urbanize that act?  (I might be misusing
        that phrase)
21:41 < noe> we seemed to have covered it all.
21:41 < noe> I may have to bring Pirate's Booty, a delicious  snack,
        to complete the picture.
21:42 < Bluestreak> Oh food
21:42 < jokeefe> 2015 Budget
21:42 < jokeefe> https://masspirates.org/wiki/2015_Budget
21:42 < Bluestreak> Can talk about refreshements next week
21:42 < jokeefe> Made a minor update on Fundraising expenses
21:42 < jokeefe> Any other comments?
21:43 < noe> Looks do-able!
21:43 < jokeefe> Bluestreak - refreshments?
21:44 < lisbon> We actually have that many registered domains?
21:45 < Bluestreak> Pirate con matter
21:45 < jokeefe> .tv is expenseve
21:45 < Bluestreak> Gotta feed the troops.
21:45 < Bluestreak> Happy to head that up. been learning about such
        things since the fundraiser.
21:45 < lisbon> making our donation to the great people of tuvalu
21:46 < jokeefe> aye
21:46 < jokeefe> Would leave refreshments to those organizing it
21:46 < jokeefe> sorry confused
21:46 < Bluestreak> https://www.facebook.com/events/476102632554226/
21:46 < Bluestreak> Will augmentally edit after IRC
21:47 < jokeefe> thank you
21:47 < jokeefe> any additions to the budget?
21:48 < jokeefe> news - “timeline to four straight days of snow”
        - Noooooo!
21:48 < lisbon> What is necessary for refreshments?
21:48 < Bluestreak> For PirateCOn
21:49 < Bluestreak> Bring anything you would like to share.
21:49 < Bluestreak> :-)
21:49 < lisbon> sounds good
21:49 < srevilak> During past IRC, we discussed lunch on your own
        (plenty of places to do this)
21:49 < srevilak> For refreshments, coffee & baked good in morning +
        light snack, something to drink during afternoon
21:50 < srevilak> should probably do it
21:50 < jokeefe> coffee and donuts was the thought
21:50 < noe> dunkin donuts for the morning time?
21:50 < jokeefe> something like that
21:50 < srevilak> noe: that works.  There's one located down the block.
        Also a bruggers
21:51 < jokeefe> so budget - move to approve?
21:51 < srevilak> aye to approving
21:51 < Bluestreak> aye
21:51 < jokeefe> take that as a 2nd
21:51 < lisbon> aye
21:51 < Bluestreak> so formal
21:52 < jokeefe> aye
21:52 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:52 < noe> aye
21:52 < lisbon> traditions is key
21:52 < Bluestreak> Less we descend into chaos
21:52 < jokeefe> lol
21:52 < jokeefe> motion passes
21:53 < jokeefe> State Reorg -
21:53 < jokeefe> Currently the Pirate Council is made up of the Captain,
        First Officer, Quartermaster, and 3 others.
21:54 < jokeefe> Suggest redefining roles for the 3 other Pirate
        Council members and expand their number: PR/Media, Activism, Swarmcare
        and Web/Info
21:54 < noe> I like this idea very much.  :D
21:54 < srevilak> That's six people, and five roles (four roles jokeefe
        mentions + arbitrator)
21:55 < jokeefe> no change to arbitrator
21:55 < jokeefe> that stays as is
21:55 < srevilak> which role has two people?
21:55 < srevilak> (ie, 6 `others', and five roles)
21:56 < jokeefe> We currently have three Pirate Council members + Captain,
1st officer and Quartermaster
21:56 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes, 3 PC + 3 more = 6 people
21:56 < jokeefe> this would be Captain, 1st officer and Quartermaster
        and PR/Media, Activism, Swarmcare and Web/Info, so seven people
21:57 < srevilak> arbitrator, PR/Media, Activism, Swarmcare and Web/Info
        is 5 roles
21:57 < srevilak> just curious about 6th person
21:57 < srevilak> it's a minor question, though
21:57 < Bluestreak> Derp
21:58 < jokeefe> arbitrator is not on pirate council
21:58 < Bluestreak> I missed a bunch!
21:58 < Bluestreak> sigh.
21:58 < lisbon> I need to go (calculus work doesn't do itself) I will
        look over meeting minutes for any developments beyond this point. Have
        a good night.
21:59 < noe> night lisbon!
21:59 < jokeefe> why don’t I write up the changes to the Articles of
        Agreement and put them up for review
21:59 < Bluestreak> Will that take long?
21:59 < noe> sounds good.  should we vote on that next week?
22:00 < srevilak> jokeefe: seems reasonable
22:00 < jokeefe> yes, noe, a vote next week would be better since we
        are at time
22:00 < Bluestreak> move to adjourn
22:00 < jokeefe> 2nd
22:00 < srevilak> aye
22:00 < jokeefe> all in favor
22:00 < jokeefe> aye
22:00 < Bluestreak> aye
22:01 < srevilak> will post minutes