February 5th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  • Democracy Meeting
  • Right of Repair bill voted out of committee

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Goals for Q1 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday

Regional Meetings/Events

Leader: jokeefe

  • Boston (jokeefe) - Looking for space
  • Worcester (Malt)

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Next meeting will be 3/8, 2-4pm, Mr Crêpe, 51 Davis Sq, Somerville. Topics are:

  • find discussion/voting system;
  • update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
  • write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Tabled Projects

National Party

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Computer Donations

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

H.2419 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around.

Upcoming Events

  • 2/11, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • 2/18, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  • 2/25, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 3/8, 2pm-4pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Mr Crêpe, 51 Davis Sq, Somerville
  • 3/7, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Culture House, Harvard Square
  • Spring 2020, ?, Boston Meetup
  • Spring 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Spring 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
  • 4/29, 7-9pm, Boston Cryptoparty, Encuentro 5, Boston

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • Pirate_Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)
  • Malt
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)

Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy

Summary

Last Sunday's tech meeting was producing. Next one will be held on March 8th.

Right to Repair bill was voted out of committee. Goes to senate next.

National Politics. A couple of notable things happened this week. Senate acquitted the president on impeachment charges. There was also the IT mess with Iowa's democratic caucus. Perhaps not a very good way to do single-round ranked choice voting. Discussion about renewing efforts for RCV in 2020. See https://voterchoice2020.org/

Next video recording. Sunday at 6pm. May discuss RCV, maybe national politics.

Minutes

 
21:01 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_5th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:01 < Malt> Sam capradae, Worcester
21:01 <@jokeefe> ids
21:01 < Pirate_Joe> Hey Malt
21:01 < Malt> Hi fellas
21:01 < Pirate_Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:01 <@jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:01 < Pirate_Joe> review, Trump
21:01 <@jokeefe> BTW: National meeting is 10-10:30pm tonight
21:02 <@jokeefe> How about “national politics”, Pirate_Joe
21:02 <@jokeefe> ?
21:03 < Pirate_Joe> Sounds good. Just a review of what happened.
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:03 <@jokeefe> Review
21:04 < Pirate_Joe> Trump acquitted by Senate on both articles of
        impeachment
21:04 <@jokeefe> Democracy Meeting was productive
21:04 < Pirate_Joe> Sorry if I'm out of turn
21:04 < Malt> I'm in a real bad mood about that
21:04 < Pirate_Joe> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_2NgTj0OSU
21:04 <@jokeefe> We set the date for the next one
21:05 < Malt> Nic
21:05 <@jokeefe> The Right of Repair bill was voted out of committee
21:05 < Malt> Aw fuck
21:05 <@jokeefe> That is a good thing
21:05 <@jokeefe> It goes to the Senate next
21:05 < Malt> OH
21:05 < srevilak> next Pirate Tech meeting - March 8th 2pm
21:06 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:06 <@jokeefe> National politics
21:06 <@jokeefe> thoughts?
21:07 < Pirate_Joe> Malt?
21:07 < srevilak> wake me up when it's 2025?
21:07 < Malt> MAD
21:07 <@jokeefe> lol
21:08  * srevilak predicts that we'll have a different president in 2025
21:08 < Pirate_Joe> lol
21:08 <@jokeefe> hope that is a true prediction
21:08 < Pirate_Joe> Thing is, it was very partisan.
21:08 < Pirate_Joe> This is why we need to break up the two party system.
21:09 < srevilak> The register had a nice article about the caucus mess
        in Iowa
21:09 < Pirate_Joe> I would like to see a renewed effort in rank choice
        voting.
21:09 < srevilak>
        https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/04/iowa_caucus_software/
21:10 < srevilak> (Cutely named "Iowa has already won the worst IT
        rollout award of 2020: Rap for crap caucus app chaps in vote zap flap")
21:10  * Pirate_Joe is happy for the links to click on!
21:11 < srevilak> Iowa may have been a good lesson in how not to do
        single-round RCV
21:13 <@jokeefe> aye
21:13 <@jokeefe> RCV will be on the ballot in 2020, IIRC
21:13 < srevilak> jokeefe: that's great news
21:14 < Pirate_Joe> I would like to next video to touch on it and how
        important it will be for everyone.
21:14 <@jokeefe> https://voterchoice2020.org/
21:14 <@jokeefe> Works for me
21:16 <@jokeefe> Projects
21:16 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter/Podcast
21:17 <@jokeefe> Are we still good for Feb. 9th sometime between 6 & 8?
21:17 < Pirate_Joe> I'm open to either.
21:17 < srevilak> I'm still free on the 9th
21:18 < Pirate_Joe> I have a new graphics card right in front of me. ^.^
21:18 <@jokeefe> oh good
21:18 <@jokeefe> 6pm?
21:18 < srevilak> 6pm
21:18 < Pirate_Joe> Sounds good to me.
21:18 < Pirate_Joe> Any other topics you want to discuss?
21:19 <@jokeefe> I am sure we will come up with some more by then
21:20 < Pirate_Joe> That's all I have on the Video front.
21:22 <@jokeefe> I don’t have any other updates
21:23 < Pirate_Joe> What are we doing for the regional meetings?
21:24 <@jokeefe> Looking for a place for one in the Boston area
21:25 < Pirate_Joe> May I suggest we plan out Regional meeting
        quarterly? That way we can all plan to attend each one as a full board?
21:25 <@jokeefe> That would be a good idea
21:25 <@jokeefe> have you made any progress on finding a place, Malt?
21:26 < Pirate_Joe> I think Malt DC'ed
21:26 <@jokeefe> oh yeah, no I see it
21:26 < srevilak> Oh no, they got Malt!  Bastards!
21:26 <@jokeefe> internet connectivity can be a tricky thing
21:27 < Pirate_Joe> That said, we have over 2k in the bank.  Plus we
        have all the potential donations for this year as well.
21:27 < Pirate_Joe> Good time to make some noise for a good cause.
21:27 <@jokeefe> Thanks for that update.
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> Send to the list?
21:31 <@jokeefe> sure
21:31 <@jokeefe> I was going to write a statement urging people to
        register to vote before the 12th.
21:32 <@jokeefe> Would follow up with their positions on our issues.
21:32 <@jokeefe> Sound good?
21:32 < Pirate_Joe> I don't think I have those permissions for the
        activist list.
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> But it does sound good. :)
21:33 <@jokeefe> just email the activists list?
21:33 < Pirate_Joe> ok
21:35 <@jokeefe> anything else, then?
21:35 < Pirate_Joe> No sir.
21:36 <@jokeefe> shall we adjourn?
21:36 < Pirate_Joe> 2nd
21:36 < srevilak> aye
21:36 <@jokeefe> aye
21:36 < Pirate_Joe> aye
21:36 < srevilak> will post transcript