February 6th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
  1. New Business
    1. Delivering Payment to Democracy Center, to reserve space for 3/21 fundraiser
    2. Endorsement of HR 3982 bill on Net Neutrality. article bill
  2. Events To Plan
    1. 2/9, Cryptoparty, Northeastern Law School, Dockser Hall, Room 230 and the Moot Court Room. Planning/Logistics notes.
    2. 2/10, 6:30-8pm, Trans Pacific Partnership - Secrets Revealed (Sierra Club), Somerville Public Library
    3. 2/11, The Day we Fight Back, Call in to Congress about NSA surveillance
    4. 2/17 (Monday), Snowden, Manning & other whistleblowers Airport Protest
    5. March Cryptoparty
    6. 3/15, St. Patrick's Day March
    7. 3/21, Fundraiser
  3. Whistleblower Protest
    1. When - 2/17, 1-3pm, Logan Airport, Terminal E
    2. Logistics
      1. Press Release - srevilak
      2. Media List - jokeefe
      3. Flier design https://piratenpad.de/bpXgvjgG1N
      4. Signs - js0000
  4. Support Outreach & Fundraising
    1. Bitpay
    2. Phone banking - Sun. 2/23 2-4pm, Arlington
    3. Pirate Party Fundraiser - Sat. 3/21, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge
      1. Artists
      2. Logistics
  5. Blog Posts
    1. Fundraiser Call for Artists
    2. Airport Protest
    3. Phone bank
    4. Fundraiser
  6. 2014 Campaign
    1. Candidate Page - version up at http://masspirates.org/blog/candidates-wanted/
    2. Media List
    3. Mapping
    4. Voter registration app
    5. Training Video Status
    6. Set dates/locations for trainings - Feb, Mar
  7. 2014 Conference
    1. Location?
    2. Date - poll not sent. Perhaps September?
    3. Need info on it at Fundraiser so we can sell tickets
  8. Upcoming Event List
    1. 2/8, Boston Security Conference, Cambridge
    2. 2/9, Cryptoparty, Northeastern University
    3. 2/9, Somerville Pirate Party meeting. https://twitter.com/villepirates
    4. 2/11, The Day we Fight Back, Call in to Congress about NSA surveillance
    5. 2/17 (Monday), Snowden, Manning & other whistleblowers Airport Protest
    6. 2/23 2-4pm. Phone banking/fundraising.
    7. March Cryptoparty
    8. 3/16 (Sunday) Veterans for Peace Parade [1]
    9. 3/21 (Saturday), Pirate Party Fundraiser, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge
    10. 4/26, noon, Jobs Not Jails: Rally to End Mass Incarceration and Fund Job Creation, Boston Common

Participants

  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • davidd
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville, MA)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Arlington, MA)
  • barefeetbee

Observers:

  • ageis
  • Igel
  • zby]

Summary

Democracy center. Jamie will print checks this weekend. Steve will deliver check to democracy center.

HR 3982. Okay as a stopgap measure, but doesn't go far enough. See http://masspirates.org/blog/2014/01/14/pirate-party-calls-for-network-neutrality-in-response-to-court-ruling/ for earlier position on net neutrality.

Whistleblower protest. srevilak to have press release by Sunday. jokeefe and js0000 working on signs, flyer copy. Will ask AnonInMASS for assistance with flyer design.

Phone Banking. First ask: run for office. Second ask: donations.

Meeting Minutes

21:02 < jokeefe> agenda - http://masspirates.org/wiki/February_6th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < jokeefe> ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < davidd> http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140205/17162226102/when-facebooks-terms-service-decide-what-kind-speech-is-okay-activists-get-censored.shtml
21:02 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, Arlington, MA
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:03 < Bluestreak_> Lucia Fiero
21:05 < jokeefe> hey Kendra
21:05 < jokeefe> New Business
21:05 < jokeefe> 1. Delivering Payment to Democracy Center, to reserve space for 3/21 fundraiser 
21:06 < jokeefe> have we done a walk through?
21:06 < srevilak> Yes, Kendra and I did a walk through about a week ago
21:06 < Bluestreak_> Sorry I wasn't able to make it to  that... I need to have a look at the space soon...
21:07 < Kendra> I have done a few event with Street medics and the Occupier there.  There is enough space for music in one area and discussion/mingling in the other. 
21:07 < jokeefe> I will get checks printed this weekend.  Does that work?
21:08 < srevilak> That works.  If you can print check, I can deliver
21:08 < jokeefe> ok, I have my marching orders
21:08 < srevilak> Notes from walkthrough: https://lists.mayfirst.org/mailman/private/activists_masspirates.org/2014-January/001213.html
21:08 < Bluestreak_> Kendra I emailed your hotmail
21:08 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak
21:09 < jokeefe> Endorsement of HR 3982 bill on Net Neutrality. article bill
21:09 < jokeefe> have you written anything srevilak?
21:10 < srevilak> no, sadly.  Derailed by snow removal efforts
21:10 < jokeefe> yeah
21:10 < srevilak> Hopefully tomorrow night
21:10 < jokeefe> this is the last thing we issued - http://masspirates.org/blog/2014/01/14/pirate-party-calls-for-network-neutrality-in-response-to-court-ruling/
21:10 < jokeefe> wrote it with national party folks
21:10 < srevilak> thx 
21:11 < srevilak> bill itself is short.  ~ 2 pages
21:13 < jokeefe> my feeling is that it should be supported as a stop gap measure, but doesn't go far enough
21:13 < Bluestreak_> Agreed
21:13 < srevilak> agreed
21:14 < jokeefe> other thoughts?
21:16 < Kendra> Might want to mention this at the NE crypto party and other upcoming protests/events
21:16 < jokeefe> agreed
21:17 < jokeefe> crypto party - srevilak - good list - https://pad.riseup.net/p/feb9-cryptoparty-materials
21:17 < Bluestreak_> Tiny flyer?
21:17 < jokeefe> would like tiny flier for fundraiser ;-)
21:17 < Bluestreak_> Yes, Kendra
21:18 < jokeefe> srevilak, trying to get confirmation on the three questions lgel had
21:18 < Bluestreak_> Can you update that excellent one you did several weeks back?
21:18 < jokeefe> I can bring flip cam and tripod
21:18 < srevilak> jokeefe: ok, great
21:18 < jokeefe> battery is poor though
21:19 < Bluestreak_> If you can get a tripod mount offset you could use the HDMI out
21:19 < Bluestreak_> Save battery and record right to your mac
21:19 < jokeefe> BTW: left a mic on a long cord at e5 under the podium.  any chance someone could look for it?
21:19 < Bluestreak_> I was looking into getting one but then my Dad...
21:19 < jokeefe> maybe, Bluestreak_, will bring cables to do that.
21:20 < Bluestreak_> I cannot look into anything else before Sunday I have to take care of my Dad all day tomorrow.
21:20 < Bluestreak_> Maybe Saturday too...
21:21 < Bluestreak_> Honestly idk now if I can be at the cryptoparty things are falling apart with his care... :-(
21:21 < jokeefe> :-(
21:21 < srevilak> jokeefe: re: microphone.  Email to <info@encuentro5.org> might be easiest way to check on microphone
21:21 < Bluestreak_> Just send good juju y'all.
21:21 < srevilak> Bluestreak_: good luck with your dad
21:21 < Bluestreak_> TY!
21:22 < jokeefe> good luck, Bluestreak_
21:23 < jokeefe> suggest setting March Cryptoparty date on sunday
21:24 < srevilak> good idea
21:24 < Bluestreak_> Busy the 15th and then we march on the 17th
21:25 < Bluestreak_> Hey there!
21:25 < jokeefe> hi barefeetbee
21:26 < jokeefe> Need a candidate training as well
21:26 < barefeetbee> hi jokeefe
21:26 < jokeefe> agenda - http://masspirates.org/wiki/February_6th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:27 < jokeefe> Whistleblower Protest
21:27 < srevilak> will have press release drafted by Sunday
21:28 < jokeefe> great.  js0000 did our signs.  I will get the list done this weekend.
21:28 < jokeefe> we need to work on the flier design
21:29 < srevilak> jokeefe: any chance we can enlist AnonInMASS for flyer design?
21:29 < jokeefe> will ask
21:31 < jokeefe> suggest we check in on Sunday
21:31 < jokeefe> 4. Support Outreach & Fundraising
21:32 < jokeefe> As I mentioned last time, Bitpay is setup, but need the form to take their contact info.  Haven't made progress on it.
21:33 < Bluestreak_> So... there is no issue of anonymity?
21:33 < Bluestreak_> They still must disclose who they are...
21:34 < srevilak> Bluestreak_: correct.  Donors must still disclose themselves
21:34 < jokeefe> yes
21:35 < jokeefe> phone banking
21:35 < jokeefe> I posted about looking for candidates, and we got one.
21:36 < jokeefe> I think for the phone banking, we should lead with asking them to run.  if they say no, it may be easier to ask for other help
21:36 < Bluestreak_> Yay, asking!
21:36 < Bluestreak_> Yes, good point.
21:36 < srevilak> jokeefe: I like that idea.
21:36 < Bluestreak_> When haggling start high
21:36 < jokeefe> ;-)
21:37 < jokeefe> will review the call script and send an update
21:37 < jokeefe> Bluestreak_ - update on Pirate Party Fundraiser?
21:38 < Bluestreak_> Lemme cut and paste a little from the email I sent you tonight...
21:39 < Kendra> I talked to the person about playing music last week and he was still into it.   He is a Berkley grad, plays in several bands and has played at the democracy center. 
21:39 < Kendra> berklee
21:39 < Bluestreak_> I spent the day with my Dad today and saw the level of his delusional thinking. I need to focus on him right now.
21:40 < jokeefe> I think we need to get the line up no later than 2/21 so we can advertise it on the 23rd and after.
21:40 < Bluestreak_> Jason and I have had phone dates to talk about the Pirate fundraiser plan, all we have been doing is discussing how we can help Dad.
21:40 < jokeefe> understood
21:40 < Bluestreak_> Chance is a go.
21:41 < Bluestreak_> I want Dan Abraham
21:41 < Bluestreak_> He plays actual Pirate shanties
21:41 < Bluestreak_> he has friends, an ensemble, prolly cheap
21:41 < Bluestreak_> or free
21:42 < Bluestreak_> did not reach out to cappioberrah... what ever
21:42 < Bluestreak_> Maybe you could forward that to Kendra?
21:42 < Bluestreak_> I'm really sorry, no one is taking care of my father...
21:42 < Kendra> capoeira--I will email those guys tomorrow.  Hopefully they do not charge.
21:42 < Bluestreak_> So I have to focus on him
21:43 < Bluestreak_> I think they will perform for free
21:43 < jokeefe> ok, what do you need help with?
21:43 < Bluestreak_> me?
21:43 < jokeefe> for the fundraiser
21:43 < Bluestreak_> I am so overwhelmed I don't even know.
21:43 < Kendra> I can help get food arranged fo the event as long as it is not involved.  If need be we can go with pizza or cold cut trays or something easy.  No point in ove doing it. 
21:44  * srevilak - (off-topic bitcoin) Apple pulls bitcoin apps.  Sparks backlash.  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/07/apple_ticks_off_bitcoiners_with_app_store_snub/
21:44 < Bluestreak_> Please recruit KATE
21:44 < jokeefe> ok, lets get the line up down first.
21:44 < Bluestreak_> yes entertainment 1st for the flyer
21:44 < Bluestreak_> Chance will help to promote anything he is involved in
21:44 < jokeefe> Heard that they hadn't taken them all down, srevilak
21:44 < Bluestreak_> I imagine all the performers will
21:45 < Kendra> My musician is Ian Gustafson.  I will get the band name tomorrow 
21:45 < jokeefe> ok, thanks
21:45 < Bluestreak_> Ooh! I know him!
21:45 < Kendra> Good lad
21:45 < Bluestreak_> Mmmm
21:46 < Bluestreak_> No I think I am confusing him with someone else
21:46 < jokeefe> ok, so need a post about looking for performers as well
21:46 < Bluestreak_> Geez how many we need?
21:46 < jokeefe> how many do we have?
21:47 < Kendra> So far I am hearing my contact, chance, and the martial arts if that works out.  are there more?
21:47 < Bluestreak_> Fine write a post. Good idea
21:47 < Bluestreak_> DAN!
21:47 < jokeefe> Chance, capoeira, maybe Ian Gustafson, Dan
21:48 < jokeefe> Should have a table/s for them to sell their music
21:48 < Kendra> I know another rapper who was formerly signed to Def jam and lives here, I can ask him
21:48 < Bluestreak_> Is he a political rapper?
21:48 < Kendra> Yes
21:49 < jokeefe> great!
21:49 < Bluestreak_> Like I can afford to be so picky
21:49 < Kendra> He knows chance
21:49 < Bluestreak_> Oh cool
21:49 < Kendra> He was out in brooklyn with KRS One last weekend
21:49 < Bluestreak_> So you dont want to talk about food?
21:50 < jokeefe> lets talk about food
21:50 < Bluestreak_> Don't laugh... English muffin pizzas?
21:50 < Bluestreak_> Jason bought WAY too many for Arisia.
21:50 < jokeefe> lol
21:50 < Bluestreak_> Piled in the freezer... the muffins that is
21:50 < Bluestreak_> I SAID DONT LAFF!
21:50 < Bluestreak_> *wimpers*
21:51 < Kendra> There is a kitchen there.  We could feasibly make some things in advance that are easy to transport and warm up in the oven.   
21:51 < Bluestreak_> Plus we have two crock pots
21:51 < Bluestreak_> We could BRING our toaster oven.
21:51 < Bluestreak_> We brought it to the hotel
21:51 < Kendra> You are determined to use those crockpots, how about chili?  Vegan chili and meat chili, one each. 
21:52 < Bluestreak_> There are all kinds of crock pot appetizers but meatballs comes to mind
21:52 < Kendra> And corn muffins
21:52 < Bluestreak_> Corn muffins makes it
21:52 < Bluestreak_> I was thinking an old pirate recipe: Merman balls.
21:52 < Kendra> Maybe we need to theme the meals, whatever happens, we do have a nice kitchen to work with. 
21:52 < Bluestreak_> (What?)
21:53 < jokeefe> arrrrr!
21:53 < Bluestreak_> With a label!
21:53 < Bluestreak_> So people can titter about it
21:53 < Bluestreak_> Ice?
21:53 < Bluestreak_> People love ice
21:53 < Bluestreak_> Oh!
21:53 < Kendra> There is a store right there on the block that I think has ice
21:53 < Bluestreak_> We have a BJ's
21:53 < Bluestreak_>  membership
21:54 < Bluestreak_> for cups and stuff... bulk foods, too... I will swing through there and price some things... you know ... soon
21:55 < Bluestreak_> Appetizers, dips...
21:55 < Kendra> SUggestion, salad, meat dish, vegan dish, bread of some sort, salad, crudite, cheese plate, etc , water, soda
21:55 < Kendra> cookies or something for dessert
21:55 < Bluestreak_> Bread... is there a local bakery?
21:56 < Bluestreak_> that is looking for publicity?
21:56 < Bluestreak_> Brownies
21:56 < Kendra> Maybe, but that might require paper work to document donations etc, 
21:56 < Bluestreak_> Sigh, right
21:57 < Bluestreak_> We can still go local
21:57 < jokeefe> cannot get donations from corps.
21:57 < Kendra> Talk to Dan the Bagel man, he has a lot of connections for food donations
21:57 < jokeefe> good idea
21:57 < Bluestreak_> Can you do that Kendra?
21:58 < Bluestreak_> Wait, where are you living now?
21:58 < Bluestreak_> May I ask, Kendra?
21:58 < Kendra> Sure, I'll call or email him tomorrow.  We can always just each donate a small amount and use that to buy things.  I have some other ideas, we'll talk
21:58 < jokeefe> thanks, Kendra
21:59 < Bluestreak_> I will call you over the weekend, Kendra?
21:59 < Bluestreak_> OK?
21:59 < Kendra> I am still in Arlington until the end of the month.  Working on a couple of different options at the momnet. 
22:01 < jokeefe> For 2014 Campaign - will post frequently about wanting candidates.  need to remind folks
22:01 < jokeefe> we are at time - any other business?
22:02 < Bluestreak_> Joe said...
22:02 < Bluestreak_> OCPF "sent him something in the mail"
22:02 < Bluestreak_> He forgot to bring it to my work out.
22:02 < Kendra> Nite all, I have to get going.  Email me anything I might have missed and I will see you Sunday. 
22:02 < Bluestreak_> Night
22:03 < Bluestreak_> Yeah I m good too
22:03 < jokeefe> so we need a blog post about him
22:03 < Bluestreak_> Goodnight
22:03 < jokeefe> will talk with Joe
22:03 < Bluestreak_> *cries*
22:03 < jokeefe> get some sleep.  it helps, often
22:03 < Bluestreak_> (Sorry)
22:04 < Bluestreak_> We are not bailing on Pirates
22:04 < Bluestreak_> We just have to step up for Dad right now, his situation is accute.
22:05 < jokeefe> understood
22:05 < Bluestreak_> So keep you fingers crossed things work out as planned tomorrow.
22:06 < jokeefe> crossing
22:06 < Bluestreak_> Night all!
22:06 < srevilak> motion to adourn?
22:06 < Bluestreak_> 2nd
22:06 < Bluestreak_> Aye
22:06 < Bluestreak_> Bye