January 10th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Endorsements

Projects

Local Surveillance Ordinances

Cryptoparties

Campaign Workshops

jokeefe & srevilak are running down some possible workshops:

  • Holyoke
  • Boston

Starting Local Chapters

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign

Fundraising & Conference

Will send out a survey to pick the final date in email this week. See last meetings discussion for possible date options.

Projects On Hold For the Moment

Both of these could be topics for future hackathons.

CCTV Camera Map

Together Boston Meshnet

Upcoming Events

  1. 1/21, 2-4pm, Democracy/IT meeting, Arlington
  2. 1/25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • moses
  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • G (Garret, Lowell)

Observers

  • davidd
  • igel
  • papegaai
  • Techrev

Summary

Discussed local surveillance ordinances. Jamie is involved with one for SFO. Steve still working on something for Arlington.

Cryptoparties. Three events in the planning stages. Two of these have dates. Need teachers, and handouts.

Campaign workshops. Potential events in Holyoke, Boston, Salem.

Local chapters. jokeefe wrote up a summary of work to be done.

MAAPL. Organizing more anti-foreclosure workshops. These will be MAAPL/MAPP events.

Fundraising and conference. Jamie will get conference survey out this week. Looks like we'll have four dates in April to choose from.

Minutes

 
21:01 < jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_10th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:01 < papegaai> Title: January 10th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:01 < jokeefe> ids
21:01 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:02 < G> Garret, Lowell
21:03 < jokeefe> Skipping to Projects then
21:03 < jokeefe> Local Surveillance Ordinances
21:03 < jokeefe> Somerville setting up meeting with the city.
21:04 < jokeefe> Keeping up with it, but another person is leading it
21:04 < srevilak> Nice.
21:04 < srevilak> I'll be very curious to see what kind of legal nits
        come up
21:05 < jokeefe> yes
21:06 < moses> same
21:06 < srevilak> Are you starting with proposed ordinance, or just
        talking about the need for oversight frameworks, or something different?
21:07 < srevilak> Or, too early to tell?
21:07 < jokeefe> Seems to be talking at the moment, though I believe
        there is a draft text
21:08 < srevilak> talking is a good first step
21:08 < jokeefe> any update on Arlington?
21:08 < srevilak> Yes.
21:08 < srevilak> This year, I will likely propose a study group to
        examine the use of surveillance technology, and to recommend actions
        based on study
21:09 < srevilak> Waiting to hear from town counsel on the specific text
21:09 < jokeefe> public report?
21:09 < srevilak> Yes, should be a public report
21:10 < srevilak> I have a story to tell with the housing authority
21:10 < jokeefe> aye
21:10 < srevilak> and there's some interesting stuff that came from UK's
        studies of CCTV deployment
21:10 < srevilak> Just finished reading a study that UC Berkeley did of
        SFO's community safety camera program
21:11 < srevilak> So, SFO should have some kind of camera ordinance
        as well.
21:11 < srevilak> Have to look for it though
21:11 < jokeefe> more money wasted?
21:11 < srevilak> Depends
21:11 < srevilak> SFO's program: the original goal was to reduce
        violent crime
21:11 < srevilak> In that area, the program failed miserably
21:12 < srevilak> But there was a reduction in small property crime
        (purse snatching, pickpocketing, taking things from cars)
21:12 < srevilak> Recommendations of the SFO report:
21:12 < srevilak> (1) if the goal is still reduction of violent crime,
        then discontinue the program
21:12 < srevilak> (2) if the city would consider reduction in small
        property crime a new goal, the reorient with that in mind
21:13 < srevilak> study was done in 2008.  Haven't looked to see what
        changed since then
21:13 < srevilak> Have another LAPD study to look at too
21:13 < srevilak> And, still moderating dialog between our neighborhood
        and the AHA
21:14 < srevilak> (end of summary)
21:14 < jokeefe> thanks
21:14 < jokeefe> Cryptoparties
21:15 < jokeefe> There are three new ones in the planning process,
        and two new ones have dates
21:16 < jokeefe> Need more people to teach
21:17 < jokeefe> and some good handouts
21:17  * srevilak has been derelict in reading cryptoparty mail, but if
        I can make the events, I can help with teaching
21:17 < jokeefe> thanks
21:18 < jokeefe> Maine has one this weekend
21:18 < jokeefe> Campaign Workshops
21:18 < jokeefe> Followed up with the three contacts
21:19 < jokeefe> Holyoke is checking on status
21:19 < jokeefe> Meeting with the Boston folks
21:19 < jokeefe> Haven’t heard back from Salem
21:19 < jokeefe> yet
21:20 < jokeefe> Starting Local Chapters
21:20 < jokeefe> Got back to G. Hope the response was good.
21:20 < jokeefe> Was very tardy in my response, unfortunately
21:21 < jokeefe> Sorry, G
21:21 < G> i'm very tardy in getting to the party so...
21:21 < G> lemme pop over ot my gmail
21:22 < jokeefe> no worries
21:23 < G> that is extensive. i didnt' mean to put you on show trial
21:24 < jokeefe> I needed to write a summary for an email/blog post
        anyway, so no harm done
21:24 < jokeefe> ;-)
21:26 < G> ok i can start reaching out to that list tomorrow after
        work. i haven't done anything on it yet.  the surveillance ordinances
        is good stuff. that is something can organize campaigns around maybe.
21:27 < jokeefe> agreed
21:28 < jokeefe> srevilak, would you be able to send him the text of
        any ordinance you have?
21:29 < G> how is the agenda for 2017 determined?
21:30 < srevilak> jokeefe: sure, I'll send the text around, once it gets
        sign off from our town counsel
21:30 < jokeefe> mostly what people are willing to work on
21:30 < G> cool , steve. thanks! :)
21:32 < jokeefe> we should decide on an agenda at pirate con or earlier,
        but it really depends on who is willing to do things
21:32 < jokeefe> speaking of that
21:32 < jokeefe> MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign
21:32 < jokeefe> I got roped into helping to organize more workshops
21:32 < jokeefe> They will be MAAPL/Pirate Party events
21:33 < srevilak> nice
21:33 < jokeefe> Next deadline is 2/23.
21:33 < jokeefe> Plan to run them over a month
21:34 < jokeefe> Fundraising & Conference
21:34 < jokeefe> Updated the calendar -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2017_Event_Calendar
21:34 < papegaai> Title: 2017 Event Calendar - Mass Pirate Wiki (at
        masspirates.org)
21:34 < jokeefe> LibrePlanet is 3/25-3/26
21:34 < jokeefe> so that leaves us 4/8, 4/9, 4/29, 4/30
21:35 < jokeefe> Will get the survey out this week.
21:36 < jokeefe> That is all I have
21:36 < srevilak> I have two more minor things:
21:37 < srevilak> (1)
        https://www.srevilak.net/wiki/Local_Surveillance_Ordinances
21:37 < papegaai> Title: Local Surveillance Ordinances - srevilak.net
        (at www.srevilak.net)
21:37 < srevilak> which is my collection of CCTV-related stuff
21:37 < srevilak> (2) our OCPF end of year report is due JAn 20th.
        Plan to knock that out over the weekend
21:37 < srevilak> (end of two minor things)
21:37 < jokeefe> thanks
21:38 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn, then?
21:40 < G> i'll second the motion
21:40 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:40 < srevilak> aye
21:41 < jokeefe> aye
21:42 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:42 < G> lol. no
21:42 < G> :P
21:43 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:43 < jokeefe> thanks