January 15th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  1. Jan. 10 Cryptoparty
  2. Aaron Swartz Vigil

Decisions

  1. Worcester Meeting
    1. Poll status: Date choices: Jan 24 (3), 25 (1), 31 (3); Feb 1 (2)
    2. Agenda?
  2. PirateCon 2015 Site Review
  3. Upcoming events
    1. 4 Mile March, Jan. 19
    2. March in Boston Peace Parade, Mar. 15
    3. March cryptoparty? - Worcester?
    4. Together Boston Cryptoparty, May
    5. March in Boston Pride, table also?
    6. Table at Freedom Rally

Events Summary

  1. Jan. 16-19, Arisia at Westin Waterfront, Crypto-panel
  2. 4 Mile March, Jan. 19
  3. Feb. 4, Cryptoparty @ Boston Desktop Linux Users Group
  4. Feb. 14, WMass Cryptoparty (lisbon), Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center, 100 Bigelow Street, Holyoke, MA (http://mghpcc.com/), Snow date is Feb 21st, dates tentative. duration 4 hours. Need to supply our own projector?
  5. Mar. 15, Boston Peace Parade
  6. Mar. cryptoparty?
  7. Apr.-May, PirateCon?
  8. May 6, International Day against DRM
  9. May, Together Boston Cryptoparty?
  10. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
  11. Jun. cryptoparty?
  12. Sep., Freedom Rally

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • Kendra
  • lisbon (Christopher Maria, Ludlow)
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • davidd (david van deijk, eindhoven netherlands)

Observers

  • decipherstatic
  • Pharyngeal

Summary

Jamie gives summary of Aaron Schwartz vigil.

2015 Conference. At the moment, Democracy Center and Community church appear to be the most likely venues. No word back from General Assembly (we get their phone system).

Jamie and Noe participating in Jan 19th 4-mile march. Will invite others to attend.

Vote in favor of participating in St. Patrick's peace parade.

Would like to do cryptoparty at Worcester Public library later in the spring, tentatively March 21st. Perhaps Arlington public library as well.

Jamie will contact Together Boston organizers, to see if they're interested in hosting a cryptoparty.

Vote in favor of participating in Pride parade (5 in favor, no opposed, no abstentions). Debating whether we want to table (in addition to marching), and whether we want to have a float.

Freedom Rally. Four votes in favor of attending. No opposed.

Minutes

 
20:59 < jokeefe> ahoy lisbon & srevilak
20:59 < srevilak> hi jokeefe
20:59 < lisbon> hello
20:59 < srevilak> hi lisbon
21:00 < jokeefe> hi noe
21:00 < noe> ahoy!
21:00 < jokeefe> agenda at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_15th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:00 < jokeefe> starting with ids
21:00 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:00 < davidd> http://imgur.com/gallery/bJW46Ac <- facebook tips
        voor noobs
21:01 < davidd> going to bed and wishing you a good meeting
21:01 < lisbon> Christopher Maria, Ludlow
21:01 < davidd> david van deijk, eindhoven netherlands
21:01 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:01 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville
21:01 < lisbon> good night davidd
21:02 < jokeefe> night davidd
21:02 < noe> g'night davidd
21:03 < jokeefe> Review - Aaron Swartz Vigil - It was @anoninmass and I -
        good signs.  most of the rush hour crew ignored us, but a number stopped
        and talked.  Many thumbs up.
21:04 < jokeefe> Cryptoparty went well - 18 people in all - not many
        with laptops, but lots of good questions
21:04 < noe> Hooray!
21:04 < lisbon> I hope that you don't mind that I am not as active in
        this meeting, i am doing this on a cell phone because I am re-imaging
        my PC. I will of course be reading everything and responding if necessary.
21:05 < noe> Cryptoparty has been recorded.  Hopefully, we'll be able
        to upload these to YouTube in 30 minute ish chunks
21:05 < jokeefe> no worries, lisbon
21:05 < jokeefe> yay! noe
21:05 < noe> Kendra and Steve visited SCATV with me and got to see some
        of the facilities we have access to as members, as well as looking at
        some of the software we use to mke vids.
21:06 < jokeefe> noe, do you have the masspirates youtube account info?
21:06 < srevilak> I enjoyed helping Noe do post production :)
21:06 < noe> The videos we'll generate will not have the faces of any
        of the attendees, but may have their voices.
21:06 < noe> Voices have not been scrubbed, but no one identifies
        themselves during questions, so I think it'll be okay.
21:07 < srevilak> jokeefe: we tried youtube on Sat.  They should have
        sent you a confirmation text or something like that
21:07 < jokeefe> probably.  should get in the habit of posting a sign
        about that.
21:07 < jokeefe> ok, srevilak
21:07 < noe> I have the info to post, but I think two-step verification
        is set-up, so I may need to use you to upload those someday at SCATV.
21:07 < noe> or rather, we should do it together.
21:08 < jokeefe> ok, I don’t see it at
        https://www.youtube.com/user/masspirates
21:08 < jokeefe> anything else folks want to add about the cryptoparty?
21:08 < noe> i can't log onto youtube although i had the password.
        I think YouTube didn't expect the computer I was using or some other
        technical nonsense you and I can work out later.
21:09 < jokeefe> ok, lets meet sometime and work it out
21:09 < srevilak> jokeefe: we were foiled by youtube 2-factor auth
21:09 < jokeefe> at least it works then
21:09 < jokeefe> ok, Decisions
21:10 < jokeefe> Worcester meeting - poll was Jan 24 (3), 25 (1), 31
        (3); Feb 1 (2)
21:10 < jokeefe> with votes in ()
21:10 < noe> 24 it is?
21:10 < noe> or 31 . . .
21:10 < jokeefe> either way someone cannot attend
21:11 < jokeefe> 31st gives us more time to announce
21:11 < srevilak> agreed, re 31st
21:11 < jokeefe> did anyone not vote who wants to?
21:12 < noe> i'll take the silence as a no?
21:13 < srevilak> In terms of breaking tie, I didn't vote for 31st,
        but I could make it that day
21:13 < srevilak> nope, take that back, I did vote for 31st.  At any rate,
        could make either day
21:14 < jokeefe> you can make the 24?
21:14 < srevilak> either
21:14 < noe> i can't make the 31st, but i can make a picture of myself
        that can attend.  :)
21:15 < jokeefe> ok, will see if I can get a room on the 24th tonight.
        If not, will book on 31st.  work?
21:15 < noe> sounds good, should we vote on it?
21:16 < jokeefe> We already did with the poll
21:16 < jokeefe> agenda items?
21:18 < jokeefe> ok, will email for suggestions
21:18 < noe> plan for 2015!  get more people to run
21:19 < noe> :)
21:19 < noe> local elections are more fun
21:19 < jokeefe> aye
21:19 < noe> post-mortem of past elections
21:19 < noe> (or rather, election)
21:19 < jokeefe> will remind joeg to attend then
21:19 < jokeefe> PirateCon 2015 Site Review - any word back?
21:20  * srevilak is embarrassed to say that he's writing CCB now
21:20 < noe> The emails and phone calls I've made to District have only
        been responded to by robot voices and robot happy emails.
21:20 < srevilak> :( sorry
21:21 < noe> I'm going to try and drop by when a real person is there
        because this has been annoying.
21:21 < noe> (This could either be a great sign or a bad omenn about it
        as a place)
21:21 < jokeefe> ok, will remind everyone on monday then.  any other
        suggestions for places?
21:22 < noe> I mean, maybe we should just ask the Democracy Center if
        they have space.  :(
21:23 < jokeefe> I will contact them, but CCB was wheelchair accessible
        and had wifi, though was more expensive
21:23 < jokeefe> or at least internet
21:23 < noe> We held a fundraiser there.  Here's the info:
        http://democracycenter.org/
21:23 < noe> Right!  I forgot about that.  :(
21:24 < jokeefe> will check the schedule and ask about rates
21:24 < srevilak> Democracy center was $100 for our fundraiser
21:24 < jokeefe> thanks
21:24 < srevilak> CCB has a day rate of $300.
        http://www.communitychurchofboston.org/home/rental-information/
21:25 < jokeefe> Upcoming events
21:25 < jokeefe> who is up for marching in the 4 Mile March on Monday,
        Jan. 19?
21:25 < noe> I will be there.  :)
21:26 < srevilak> work day for me.  We don't get MLK day off
21:26 < jokeefe> Dang.
21:26 < noe> Yeah, its kind of hard since its at 1pm.  A lot of people
        may be working.
21:26 < jokeefe> I will be there.
21:26 < noe> Or spending time with their families.
21:27 < srevilak> saw http://justicewithpeace.org/node/5502  Should be
        a good event
21:27 < jokeefe> I’ll post a blog post saying Noe and I will be there
        and asking people to join us.
21:27 < srevilak> (UJP post about 4mile march)
21:27 < jokeefe> 1K signed up on FB.
21:27 < noe> The socialists and the greens will be marching.
21:28 < jokeefe> Next, we have been asked if we will March in Boston
        Peace Parade on Mar. 15
21:29 < jokeefe> Is a Sunday.
21:29 < jokeefe> we were there last year
21:29 < srevilak> IIRC, we got a decent reception last year
21:29 < jokeefe> who can be there this year?
21:29 < jokeefe> yes
21:29 < srevilak> I'll be there
21:30 < noe> I can do it.
21:30 < jokeefe> I should be able to do so as well
21:30 < jokeefe> ok, three pirate rule - we go then
21:30 < noe> (I'm trying to imagine how warm it will be -- definitely
        warmer than this past Monday)
21:30 < srevilak> I've marched several years.  Could be very warm,
        or kind of chilly
21:31 < jokeefe> yes, but it was cold even after we were done marching
21:31 < srevilak> Some info on march:
        http://justicewithpeace.org/node/5493
21:31 < jokeefe> thanks for the link
21:31 < jokeefe> March cryptoparty? - Worcester?
21:32 < srevilak> jokeefe: thinking of contacting the library? (a-la,
        what we did w/SPL)?
21:32 < jokeefe> too much if we have PirateCon in April/May and planning
        for peace march
21:32 < noe> Any day but the 15th
21:32 < jokeefe> ues, anyone can book a room
21:32 < jokeefe> yes that is
21:33 < jokeefe> how do folks feel.  too much?
21:33 < noe> I can go with cam attached as long as I can hitch a ride.  :)
21:33 < jokeefe> I can give a ride
21:33 < noe> Will we have candidates who need to collect signatures and
        such around that time?
21:34 < srevilak> Happy to do a cryptoparty in Worcester
21:34 < srevilak> Should I contact arlington public library, for
        cryptoparty later in year?
21:34 < noe> (I love public libraries!  I say you sould do it.  :))
21:34 < jokeefe> possibly, noe, but requirements are lower so easier
21:34 < jokeefe> srevilak, good idea
21:35 < noe> I think it'll be good and get more material for our SCATV
        show.
21:35 < jokeefe> ok, any preference for the March cryptoparty?
21:36 < srevilak> Maybe week after parade? 3/21
21:36 < jokeefe> sure
21:36 < noe> That is probably after Spring Break, so probably a good time.
21:37 < jokeefe> 3/21 it is
21:37 < srevilak> Re: 2/4 Cryptoparty, Al Willis and I are co-presenting
21:37 < jokeefe> ok
21:38 < jokeefe> Together Boston is in May.  Do we want to offer to do
        another cryptoparty?
21:38 < jokeefe> for them?
21:39 < noe> attendance was low, but i think it was a good event last
        year.
21:39  * srevilak waits for together boston website to load
21:39 < srevilak> jokeefe: do they have a date yet?
21:40 < jokeefe> Not that I know of.  I can ask if we are interested.
        GA has a really nice space, but it seemed away from the action.
21:41 < Kendra> Sorry All I was having a problem with IRC, everything
        tripled
21:41 < srevilak> hi Kendra
21:41 < srevilak> jokeefe: I'm game
21:42 < jokeefe> ok, will suggest it to them and see if they are
        interested
21:42 < Kendra> Hi, I restarted IRC and got it to conneth through the
        MOntreal server
21:43 < jokeefe> Last two events - March in Boston Pride?  March group
        or float?  table?
21:43 < srevilak> Does tabling cost extra?
21:43 < jokeefe> yes
21:44 < noe> I think marching as a grooup is more realistic.  Floats are
        . . . we'd need to get at least four or five artists together to agree
        on something.
21:44 < srevilak> Easier to distribute flyers when marching as group :)
21:44 < jokeefe> though we could build a pirate ship
21:45 < noe> Tabling can net us longer conversations with interested
        activists/potential activists, but I think for heightened visibility,
        marching as a group is better.
21:45 < jokeefe> well yes, I think you can do both if you choose float
21:45 < noe> I think we should ask Pirates now if they want
        to contribute to a pirate ship!  Maybe we can "float" the
        kickstarter/indiegogo/crowdfunding thing at the same time to get a feel
        for how that will work for other projects?
21:45 < noe> (nyuk nyuk)
21:46 < noe> "float"!  ROFL
21:46 < srevilak> Could be worth a "what are you willing to help with"
        poll
21:46  * srevilak wonders about towing float w/a bicycle
21:46 < jokeefe> or multiple bikes
21:47 < jokeefe> sounds good.  but we want to be there, yes?  float and
        march price are the IIRC
21:48 < noe> i think we should be there.
21:48 < srevilak> jokeefe: I'd like to see us there in some capacity
21:50 < jokeefe> all in favor then
21:50 < srevilak> aye
21:50 < noe> aye
21:50 < Kendra> aye
21:50 < lisbon> aye
21:51 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:52 < jokeefe> I vote for marching in pride
21:52 < jokeefe> ok, any others abstain
21:53 < jokeefe> Finally, participate in Boston Freedom Rally in Sept.?
21:54 < noe> I am willing to volunteer and table.
21:54 < srevilak> likewise
21:55 < noe> I think we're all working towards a day when Freedom Rally
        will be commemorative and not about a struggle anymore.
21:56 < jokeefe> ok, all in favor of attending?
21:56 < jokeefe> aye
21:56 < srevilak> aye
21:56 < noe> aye
21:58 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:59 < jokeefe> ok, motion passes
21:59 < jokeefe> BTW: Submitted meeting request for Worcester Public
        Library for 1/24 3-5:30pm  events before and after, so might be a
        bit tight.
22:00 < srevilak> thx jokeefe
22:00 < jokeefe> 3/21 is looking busy for a cryptoparty
22:00 < jokeefe> how long should we make it for?
22:00 < noe> hmm, last one was 4 hours-ish?
22:01 < srevilak> three hours isn't bad.  Good for two presentations +
        break in the middle
22:01 < noe> i agree with srevilak
22:02 < jokeefe> 11-2pm?
22:02 < jokeefe> that slot seems open in their biggest room
22:02 < noe> ooooh
22:03 < jokeefe> though the big room only does auditorium seating
22:03 < noe> hmm, slightly awkward.  i think computers are best on
        large tables.
22:03 < Kendra> aye for freedom rally
22:04 < jokeefe> smaller room with tables open until 1:30pm, then the
        democratic city committee meeting starts
22:04 < jokeefe> 10-1:30pm?
22:04 < srevilak> 10-13:30 sounds good
22:05 < noe> i think that's do-able
22:05 < jokeefe> Also, Sunday the 22nd seems totally free
22:06 < jokeefe> ok, 3/21 10-1:30pm
22:06 < jokeefe> will book it tonight
22:06 < srevilak> anything else for tonight (we're at time)
22:06 < Kendra> move to adjourn
22:07 < jokeefe> 2nd
22:07 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:07 < srevilak> aye to adjourn
22:07 < jokeefe> aye
22:07 < lisbon> aye
22:07 < noe> aye
22:07 < Kendra> aye
22:07 < srevilak> I can post transcript
22:07 < jokeefe> thank you