January 15th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  • RT4 FBI surveillance letter - Posting on our site
  • Amazon Ring Local PD partnerships post - any changes to the post Malt wrote?
  • MassMesh organizing meetup

Decisions/Endorsements

  • Statement on War on Iran?
  • Get Boston Pride Festival Table?

Projects

Goals for Q1 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Lobby Day for S.899 (An Act relative to forfeiture reform)

  • post announcement (jokeefe) - done
  • setup sign up sheet (jokeefe) - done
  • setup FB event (jokeefe) - done
  • email announcement (jokeefe) - done
  • post reminder announcements (jokeefe)

Regional Meetings/Events

Leader: jokeefe

  • Worcester (Malt)
  • Boston (jokeefe)

Video Newsletter

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording?

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Next meeting will be in February. Topics are:

  • find discussion/voting system;
  • update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
  • write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Tabled Projects

National Party

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Computer Donations

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

H.2419 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. jokeefe will submit testimony.

Upcoming Events

  • 1/21, 10am-3pm, D4 lobby day for S.899 (An Act relative to forfeiture reform)
  • 1/21, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • 1/28, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 1/29, 7-9pm, Boston Cryptoparty, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • 2/?, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Diesel Cafe, Somerville
  • 2/4, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Culture House, Harvard Square
  • 2/11, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  • Spring 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Spring 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
  • Spring 2020, ?, Boston Meetup

Participants

  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • Malt (Sam capradae, Worcester)

Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr

Summary

Restore the fourth email went out. Blog post will go up tomorrow.

Amazon Ring/Local PD partnerships. Malt still working on post.

Meshnet Organizing. Had a productive organizing meetup. Planning a follow-up in February. Jokeefe has a recording, but it needs editing.

Boston Pride. Tabling is $140 for 5x10 and $200 for 10x10. Could be an opportunity to talk with people. Massmesh may be willing to share the table. Booths are 10' deep, so we have a choice of 5' frontage or 10' frontage. jokeefe will talk with massmesh, to see if they're interested in sharing a booth.

Projects. S.899 (An Act relative to forfeiture reform).

Regional Meetings. Malt looking into a site for a Worcester meetup.

Video Newsletter. Have had issues with youtube lately. May try mumble, do audio recording, and use background image or black screen for video. jokeefe and srevilak will try a recording Sunday @ 7p

Democracy and dogfood. Next meeting Feb 2, from 11a - 1p. Diesel Cafe in Davis Square. At least for now.

Minutes

 
21:00 <@jokeefe> let’s start
21:00 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_15th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:00 <@jokeefe> ids
21:00 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:00 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:01 <@jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:01 <@jokeefe> ahoy
21:01 <@jokeefe> we just started
21:02 < Malt> Hi friends
21:02 < Malt> Sam capradae, Worcester
21:02 <@jokeefe> Review
21:03 <@jokeefe> The Restore the 4th letter went up. I will post on our
        site tomorrow
21:03 < srevilak> Saw the letter today -- looked good
21:04 <@jokeefe> Amazon Ring Local PD partnerships post - any more
        changes?
21:06  * srevilak thinks malt needs a better IRC client :)
21:06 < Malt> Ok
21:06 < Malt> Sorry
21:06 < Malt> Bunch of crap
21:06 < srevilak> no worries
21:07 <@jokeefe> any more edits to the Ring post?
21:08 <@jokeefe> guessing no, then?
21:08 < Malt> I haven't given it a thought, sorry
21:08 < Malt> I forgot to even check the feedback
21:09 <@jokeefe> Well look it over then. Happy to give more feedback.
21:09 <@jokeefe> MassMesh organizing meetup
21:10 <@jokeefe> Had a productive meeting last weekend.
21:10 < Malt> Neat
21:10 <@jokeefe> Planning a follow up in February
21:11 <@jokeefe> I recorded it, but needs some editing
21:11 < Malt> Cool!
21:12 <@jokeefe> BTW: srevilak, can I come by and get the video you got
        of the conference this weekend?
21:13 < srevilak> Sure.  Alternatively, I found my 64gb thumb drive.
        If if all fits, I could drop it off
21:13 < srevilak> Does that work?
21:13 < Malt> I remember when that was a significant amount of storage
21:14 <@jokeefe> yes, that works srevilak
21:14 < srevilak> Cool
21:14 < srevilak> Heh, DATs used to be a significant amount of storage
21:14 <@jokeefe> I still have a few of them
21:14 < srevilak> Backing up to a whole 1.3 GB tape drive
21:15 < Malt> I still like em better than most straight digital recorders
21:15 <@jokeefe> when that was a lot of space
21:15 < srevilak> I have around 50 from my days as a sound engineer
21:15 < Malt> Niiiiice
21:15 < srevilak> Unfortunately, my DAT player died :(
21:15 < Malt> OH NO
21:16 < srevilak> Yeah, one of these days, would like to pick up a
        Panasonic SV-3700 that's in decent condition
21:16 <@jokeefe> Yeah, I don’t think the price changed from the 90s
21:16 < srevilak> I had a lot of copies of rough mixes and various
        bootlegs.  All local music
21:16 < Malt> put an ask out at ewaste places? They get nice shit
        on occasion
21:17 < srevilak> Heck, here's one for $40
        https://www.ebay.com/p/1200247580
21:17 <@jokeefe> cool
21:17 < Malt> You should absolutely digitize those, there was an archive
        of early London breakbeat stuff which was incredible to find
21:18 <@jokeefe> Still have my PC internal cassette tape player ;-)
21:18 <@jokeefe> I agree with Malt. Sharing is caring.
21:18 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:19 <@jokeefe> Should we get a Boston Pride Festival Table?
21:19 < Malt>
        https://www.electronicbeats.net/the-feed/download-hundreds-of-90s-rave-jungle-cassette/
21:19 < Malt> s
21:19 <@jokeefe> MassMesh might be willing to work the table with us
21:19 < Malt> When is it? Could we recruit candidates?
21:20 < srevilak> What's the fee for the table?
21:21 <@jokeefe> I believe $140 for 5’ x 10’ deep. $200 for 10x10
21:21 < srevilak> IIRC, that's less expensive than the cost to march
21:22 < srevilak> And perhaps a better chance to talk with people
        and engage
21:22 <@jokeefe> that is what I was thinking
21:22 < srevilak> If massmesh is willing to share, sounds like a good idea
21:22 < Malt> Imfor it
21:23  * srevilak may even dig out the leather pants for this
21:23 < srevilak> haven't used them in many prides
21:23 < srevilak> I'm in favor
21:25 <@jokeefe> me too. Will check with Mass Mesh
21:25 <@jokeefe> 10x10 or 5x10?
21:28 < srevilak> What does the dimension measure?  A 10x10 table is
        pretty big.   Or, is this a 10' long table in a space that's 10' deep?
21:28 <@jokeefe> 10 is the depth in both cases
21:28 < srevilak> Okay, then it's 5' of frontage vs 10' foot of frontage
21:29 < srevilak> I'd say 10x10 if we're sharing, 5x10 if we're not
21:30 <@jokeefe> 5’ is about the width of what we had at the anarchist
        book fair
21:31 < Malt> Ok
21:33 <@jokeefe> will talk with Mass Mesh and see what they want to
        chip in.
21:33 <@jokeefe> We have until the end of Feb.
21:33 <@jokeefe> Projects
21:33 <@jokeefe> Lobby Day for S.899 (An Act relative to forfeiture
        reform)
21:33 <@jokeefe> Sign ups are done. Will send reminders
21:35 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings/Events
21:36 <@jokeefe> Sorry, been focused on other things. Haven’t planned
        Boston meet up.
21:37 < Malt> Waiting on a price quote, but the place I'm looking at
        does 300$ pizza and drinks for 30
21:38 <@jokeefe> Thanks. Cafes or restaurants are good
21:39 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter
21:39 <@jokeefe> Still having technical difficulties with video recording
21:40 < srevilak> Would we want to consider using mumble, and doing
        audio recordings?
21:40 < srevilak> (I have a mumble client with recording capability)
21:41 < srevilak> Then, maybe add a background image.  Or, just black
        screen
21:41 <@jokeefe> That would be good
21:41 <@jokeefe> Been there.
21:41 <@jokeefe> :-)
21:41 < srevilak> Yup :)
21:41 < Malt> Audio works great
21:42 < srevilak> mumble.mayfirst.org
21:42 < Malt> Podcasts are still super popular
21:42 < Malt> And we do all have faces for radio
21:42 < srevilak> We are members, so we can use it
21:42 <@jokeefe> When to record?
21:43 < srevilak> I can do sunday evening
21:43 < srevilak> I just managed to make a `masspirates' channel on
        mumble.mayfirst.org
21:43 < Malt> I'm spoken for Saturday and Sunday
21:43 < Malt> Apologies
21:43 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:44 < srevilak> No worries
21:44 <@jokeefe> I should be able to do Sunday evening. What time?
21:45 < srevilak> How about 7pm?
21:45 <@jokeefe> Sure
21:45 < srevilak> Great, see you then
21:46 <@jokeefe> Set my mumble client to mumble.mayfirst.org?
21:46 < srevilak> Yup
21:46 <@jokeefe> ok. thanks. will test before.
21:46 <@jokeefe> Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)
21:47 <@jokeefe> Do you have any preference for say, srevilak?
21:48 <@jokeefe> s/say/day/g
21:48 < srevilak> I can't do 2/22.  Other weekends in feb are okay
21:49 <@jokeefe> 2/2, 11am-1pm?
21:49 < srevilak> Works for me
21:50 <@jokeefe> great
21:50 <@jokeefe> That is all I have
21:50 < srevilak> Diesel cafe?
21:50 <@jokeefe> m a y b e.  gets busy
21:51 < srevilak> There are three burrito places in Davis sq.  Maybe one
        of them has wifi
21:52 < srevilak> Or even Starbucks.  But I suppose they get busy too
21:55 <@jokeefe> let’s try Diesel once more
21:55 <@jokeefe> anything else?
21:55 < Malt> I'm set
21:55 < srevilak> FWIW, the Occupy Boston IT team used to meet in the
        Transportation Building food court.  But that's further away
21:55 < srevilak> nothing else here
21:55 <@jokeefe> adjourn then?
21:56 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
21:56 < Malt> 2nd
21:56 <@jokeefe> all in favor?
21:56 <@jokeefe> aye
21:56 < srevilak> aye
21:56 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:56 < srevilak> will post transcript