January 16th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

OCPF Filing

FISA Section 702 Bill

Video Newsletter

2018 Elections

  1. Trainings
    1. Videos
    2. February 24?: Worcester
    3. March: Boston

Once we set dates for the trainings we will put up a poll asking about our 2018 conference and whether to change it into several regional conferences.

In 2018, towns decide when their elections are held, but most are held in the first half of the year. State & county elections are in November. What offices are up in 2018 is listed here. We have been asked to hold a town election training in Milford this year.

Nomination papers for federal/state/county elections are available in mid-February. State/county candidates have until the end of May to gather all of their signatures, while federal candidates have until the end of July. The number of signatures needed vary from 150 for State Rep. to 2000 for US House of Representatives.

The electronic election for our officers went well in 2017, and we should consider doing it again. Such a change would allow us to decentralize our yearly conference and hold multiple regional conferences in different parts of the state. We could schedule monthly conferences starting in March or April. We could limit them to about 4-5 hours long, with the first half being training and the second half being discussion. If we want to go this route, we should ask our members soon and see who wants to organize their regional conference.

Organizing Local Chapters

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Net Neutrality/Community Meshnets

Amazon HQ2

Budget

Digital Right of Repair

Details. Making calls to volunteers and members.

Statements In Process

  • GOP Tax Bill (we opposed)
  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • Hirppa
  • hvxgr
  • igel

Summary

OCPF Filing

Due the 22nd. Joe working on it Wednesday.

FISA Section 702 Bill

Senate passes cloture motion. It is unfortunately on the way to passage with a lot of Democratic support.

Video Newsletter

Dan has edited the videos of the local government workshop and will get the Equifax video soon.

Joe and jokeefe will test google hangout Wednesday.

2018 Elections

Nick is working on scripts for the how to run videos. jokeefe is reviewing them.

Malt had to change the location. Will have a new one soon.

Malt and jokeefe will write an email to reach out potential candidates by next week.

Organizing Local Chapters

Joe and Malt will review the Organizing Guide.

Helped with the Somerville Housing Hackathon and planning the upcoming cryptoparty/mesh net talk.

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Will ask for suggestions in next email, and will add a donation form.

Net Neutrality/Community Meshnets

  • Wednesday January 31, 2018 6pm Monthly Digital Security 101 and meshnets Sprout: 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • Saturday February 10, 2018 1-4pm Creating a (greater) Boston Meshnet, r/bostonmeshnet Somerville public library 79 Highland Ave

Minutes

 



[9:06pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_16th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:06pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:06pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:06pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:08pm] Joe: I do not
[9:08pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:09pm] jokeefe: Skipping to Projects then
[9:09pm] jokeefe: OCPF Filing
[9:10pm] jokeefe: I’ll check the mailbox for the bank statements, scan them in and send them to you, Joe
[9:10pm] Joe: Yes, I have all day scheduled for that tomorrow.
[9:10pm] Joe: No need, I have online access.
[9:10pm] Joe: They are easy to print out.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: ok, thanks
[9:11pm] Joe: I plan on working with Caroline again tomorrow at 10 am.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Cool. Good you are on top of it.
[9:13pm] Joe: Glad I can help.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: FISA Section 702 Bill
[9:15pm] Malt: that's the one Trump doesn't understand, yeah?
[9:15pm] jokeefe: They got the 60 votes they needed for cloture, so the bill is likely to pass.
[9:15pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:15pm] Malt: yeah  them's the democrats for you
[9:16pm] jokeefe: can’t laugh, but it is apt
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Dan is finishing up Steve’s videos of the local gov. workshop
[9:18pm] Joe: Does he have access to the Youtube?
[9:18pm] jokeefe: not our account
[9:18pm] jokeefe: will need to find a way to get the final videos
[9:18pm] Joe: Ok, then is he to send it to me or you?
[9:19pm] jokeefe: either
[9:19pm] Joe: Easy enough to set up a shared data space. Plenty of providers we can us for free
[9:19pm] Joe: use, not us, lol
[9:20pm] jokeefe: would need to handle GB-sized files
[9:20pm] jokeefe: When do you want to test out google hangouts?
[9:21pm] Joe: good question. When works for you?
[9:22pm] Joe: I can do tomorrow night if that is good for you as well.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Thurs after 9pm, might work
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Or Wed. after 9pm
[9:24pm] Joe: Wed works better for me.
[9:24pm] Joe: Thursday night is a bit backed.
[9:25pm] jokeefe: 9pm Wed?
[9:25pm] Joe: As in tomorrow, yes sir.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Should be. Will msg you if there is a conflict
[9:26pm] Joe: Sounds good.
[9:28pm] jokeefe: 2018 Elections
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Nick has made some progress on the text of the how to videos. Will review them.
[9:29pm] Malt: i've not gone through Crew to reach out to interested candidates
[9:29pm] Malt: i remember that being a next step
[9:30pm] jokeefe: That would be good. Shall we work on the text of the email update to get it out next week?
[9:31pm] Malt: sure
[9:31pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:33pm] jokeefe: tied to that is Organizing Local Chapters
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Suggestions to add to the https://masspirates.org/wiki/Organizing_Guide ?
[9:36pm] Malt: i can take a look
[9:36pm] Malt: i;ve sent a few emails to people with general advice that might be relevant
[9:36pm] Joe: I will also review this material.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Thanks.
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Helped with the Somerville Housing Hackathon and planning the upcoming cryptoparty/mesh net talk. Need to put the events up though.
[9:39pm] Malt: I had an idea about the upcoming hackathon
[9:39pm] jokeefe: We’re working out the details. The first meeting was well attended
[9:40pm] Malt: ah! nice
[9:40pm] Malt: i was going to add something about opening with a GIMP lesson and hosting events where people practice graphic design while making political infographics
[9:40pm] Joe: ^
[9:41pm] Malt: open the idea of a hackathon to more than just coding
[9:41pm] Malt: but yeah different event
[9:42pm] jokeefe: that sounds cool
[9:42pm] jokeefe: do you have a date?
[9:42pm] Malt: nope
[9:43pm] Malt: still trying to get the run for office event sorted
[9:43pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:43pm] Malt: i've spent most of the winter pretty limited by illness, i'm trying not to commit to all the everything i usually do
[9:45pm] jokeefe: understandable. Getting get better is very important
[9:46pm] jokeefe: Computer Donations - Updated https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations with details of where we can donate computers to.
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Will ask for suggestions in next email, and will have a donation form.
[9:48pm] Malt: old game systems as well? neat
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Net Neutrality/Community Meshnets
[9:52pm] jokeefe: As I noted, we have two meetings coming up. Will see how they go
[9:53pm] Joe: For the record, the dates for those gain?
[9:53pm] Joe: Or did we not set them?
[9:54pm] jokeefe: Wednesday	January 31, 2018	6pm	Monthly Digital Security 101 and meshnets	Sprout: 339R Summer Street, Somerville
[9:54pm] jokeefe: Saturday	February 10, 2018	1-4pm	Creating a (greater) Boston Meshnet, r/bostonmeshnet	Somerville public library 79 Highland Ave
[9:54pm] jokeefe: They are up at https://www.cryptoparty.in/boston
[9:54pm] jokeefe: Haven’t added them to the calendar yet
[9:54pm] Joe: Thank you.
[9:57pm] jokeefe: We are at time. Will have to cover the other projects next time. Shall we adjourn?
[9:57pm] Joe: I second
[9:58pm] Joe: Aye
[9:59pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:59pm] Joe: Good nigjht everyone!
[9:59pm] Joe left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[10:00pm] jokeefe: Good night
[10:00pm] Malt: night