January 1st, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  1. Budget Review 2014 2015
    1. Money on hand
    2. Expected Expenses

Decisions

  1. Worcester Meeting?
  2. PirateCon 2015
  3. Work with Pass Mass Amendment this fall
  4. Upcoming events
    1. March in Boston Pride
    2. Table at Freedom Rally
    3. Others we need to pay for?

Events Summary

  1. Jan. 10, Cryptoparty, Somerville Public Library
  2. Jan. 16-19, Arisia at Westin Waterfront, Crypto-panel and Pirate Party room http://www.arisia.org/
  3. Feb. 4, Cryptoparty @ Boston Desktop Linux Users Group
  4. Feb. 14, WMass Cryptoparty (lisbon), Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center, 100 Bigelow Street, Holyoke, MA (http://mghpcc.com/), Snow date is Feb 21st, dates tentative. duration 4 hours. Need to supply our own projector.
  5. May 6, 2015, International Day against DRM

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville, MA)
  • CaptBlackbeard (Adam Seaman, Southwick)
  • Kendra
  • tgstkmop

Observers

  • davidd
  • decipherstatic
  • Pharyngeal

Summary

Reviewed 2015 Budget.

Do survey for western mass planning meeting. Date choices: Jan 24, 25, 31; Feb 1
Survey form: https://masspirates.org/crew/forms/worcester-planning-meeting

Piratecon 2015. District Hall Boston is a potential space. Community Church of Boston is another possibility. Prefer dates in April or May. Would like to finalize dates in the next two weeks. Possibly have additional mini-conferences in Western Mass?

Discuss helping Pass Mass Amendment with petitioning this fall. Motion to help has five in favor, no opposed.

Aaron Schwartz vigil on Jan 12th. Vote to endorse. Five in favor, no opposed.

Minutes

 
21:01 < jokeefe> hey all
21:02 < jokeefe> Agenda at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_1st,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < CaptBlackbeard> Adam Seaman, Southwick
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:03 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville, MA
21:05 < jokeefe> Glad you could join us CaptBlackbeard
21:05 < CaptBlackbeard> thanks jo, my 2nd time..
21:06 < CaptBlackbeard> Im trying to be a more active pirate, there be
        booty on the high seas and im in the pillagin' mood!
21:07 < jokeefe> srevilak put out a budget for 2014, that needs to be
        updated for the whole year.  I will take a stab at that this weekend.
21:07 < jokeefe> I updated the 2015 budget at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2015_Budget
21:08 < srevilak> I should send slides I started for treasurer
        presentation
21:09 < jokeefe> cool
21:09 < jokeefe> ahoy tgstkmop
21:09 < tgstkmop> hello
21:09 < jokeefe> srevilak, any idea what the SSL certs cost is?
21:09 < srevilak> 10
21:09 < jokeefe> and am I missing any expenses in the 2015
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2015_Budget
21:10 < jokeefe> Agenda at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_1st,_2015_IRC_Meeting, tgstkmop
21:10 < jokeefe> if anyone wants to add something to the agenda, shout
        it out
21:10 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:10 < Kendra> hey
21:11 < noe> Theoretically, we have a transmission for SCATV on 1/12,so
        if people have ideas, please share!  I was gonna bring a camera to the
        CryptoParty on 1/10 and edit that down.
21:11 < CaptBlackbeard> I see there is one in Wmass in Feb. thats
        encouraging..
21:12 < srevilak> noe: very nice (filming 1/10)
21:12 < jokeefe> put the minutes so far at the agenda if you want to
        catch up
21:12 < srevilak> added more expenses to:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2015_Budget#Expenses
21:12 < jokeefe> thanks, noe.  any luck with a post asking for input?
21:12 < jokeefe> thanks srevilak
21:13 < jokeefe> Reminder for folks to provide ids - usually name,
        city/town
21:14 < noe> i will write that and try to post it?  I think I remember
        how to do that, just haven't done it in a while.
21:15 < jokeefe> great, noe, thanks!
21:15 < CaptBlackbeard> pardon my ignorance capt. jo, but how did our
        candidates do ?
21:16 < jokeefe> noe got 12% in a two candidate race, Joe got 4% in a
        three candidate race - https://masspirates.org/blog/2014/11/05/thank-you/
21:16 < jokeefe> thanks for asking
21:17 < jokeefe> we have four cryptoparties coming up - 2 in Jan &
2 in Feb.  both listed on the agenda
21:18 < jokeefe> any items missing for the revenue or expenditure side
        of the budget? not looking to decide now, just want to make sure we have
        the categories and ballpark $ right
21:18 < noe> \dcc chat noe
21:19 < CaptBlackbeard> How did the cryptoparty in Holyoke come about?
        I didn't think we had other pirates out here
21:20 < jokeefe> lisbon found the space.  we picked the date and now
        have to find people for it.
21:20 < srevilak> re: 2015 expenses
        <https://masspirates.org/wiki/2015_Budget>.  I added a few fixed expenses,
        corrected one of the "other events"
21:20 < jokeefe> thanks
21:20 < srevilak> We're budgeting a little more than we've spent in the
        case, but definitely ballpark
21:21 < jokeefe> srevilak, what is our money on hand
21:21 < srevilak> 892
21:21 < srevilak> potentially ~ 280 coming in near future
21:21 < CaptBlackbeard> I should be able to attend feb 14
21:22 < jokeefe> cool!  got any graphic design skills to make a flier?
21:23 < jokeefe> Thanks, srevilak
21:23 < CaptBlackbeard> basic
21:24 < jokeefe> well if you want to put one together drop me a note
        at jokeefe@jamesokeefe.org
21:24 < jokeefe> anything else for the budget?
21:26 < CaptBlackbeard> arrr, will give it a shot capt
21:26 < srevilak> nothing to add to budget
21:26 < jokeefe> aye! that’s the spirit!
21:27 < jokeefe> we cancelled the Worcester Meeting, but we don’t have
        date for a new one
21:27 < noe> March or April might be good?
21:28 < noe> Looks like we've got Pirate-y actions through February.
21:28 < jokeefe> aye we do, but PirateCon is likely in April
21:28 < noe> Stuff it into February?
21:29 < jokeefe> or late January?
21:29 < noe> that could work
21:29 < srevilak> I'm okay w/ late jan or feb
21:29 < jokeefe> Could also go out for food after the WMass cryptoparty
        for those who want to talk & plan
21:30 < jokeefe> Feb 1st?
21:31 < CaptBlackbeard> Have the crew discussed the expansion of ye
        platform at all?
21:31 < jokeefe> not yet, but needed
21:31 < jokeefe> could just put up a poll with options for 24, 25, 31,
1 dates
21:31 < CaptBlackbeard> im game for that too jo, would be nice to feast
        with fellow sea dogs
21:32 < jokeefe> aye!
21:32 < jokeefe> poll due by next wednesday?
21:33 < srevilak> next wed seems reasonable
21:33 < noe> agreed
21:34 < jokeefe> any objections?
21:34 < Kendra> nope
21:34 < CaptBlackbeard> Just putting this out there, our roots are in
        anarchist principles, i think we should stick to them and raise the
        spirit of Libertaria
21:34 < CaptBlackbeard> no
21:35 < srevilak> jokeefe: shall I make form form date poll?
21:35 < jokeefe> so what do ye suggest, CaptBlackbeard?
21:35 < jokeefe> srevilak, it would make my life easier, so yes please
21:35 < srevilak> will do
21:36 < jokeefe> thanks
21:37 < jokeefe> PirateCon 2015
21:37 < jokeefe> here are the prelim results from our poll -
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2014/12/06/preliminary-results-from-our-piratecon-2015-survey/
21:37 < jokeefe> Looks like April/May would work best.
21:38 < jokeefe> A Saturday conf in the Boston area seemed the choice.
        Childcare was split down the middle
21:39 < jokeefe> Good support for crowdfunding it
21:40 < jokeefe> http://districthallboston.org/ came up as a possible
        location, maybe free
21:41 < jokeefe> it is near the t and there are plenty of parking
        lots around
21:41 < CaptBlackbeard> well, i think we need to be real progressive,
        really steer the ship into the 21st century.  i could get more detailed
        if you like, send you an e-mail or something.  i like to call it radical
        common sense
21:41 < noe> I've been there for a free theatre thing.  Its T-accessible
        and near the Children's Museum.
21:42 < jokeefe> there is a virtual tour at
        http://districthallboston.org/spaces/
21:43 < noe> I think its closest to South Station, plus Microsoft put
        some money up for it back in the day.
21:43 < jokeefe> i like it CaptBlackbeard, lets talk
21:43 < noe> They do a lot of free events, so it could be cool to
        check out.
21:44 < jokeefe> if we can get it for free, then that would be great
21:44 < jokeefe> though I wonder about the acoustics.
21:45 < noe> Its echo-ey.  The group I went to see put up panels to keep
        the sound from bouncing.
21:45 < jokeefe> noe, would you be willing to contac them and find out
        if they are available a sat in April/May, what is available and how much
        it might be?
21:45 < noe> can do.  I'll shoot you an email tomorrow, more than likely.
21:46 < jokeefe> thanks!
21:46 < jokeefe> srevilak, would you be able to check with the community
        church about their cost/availablity?
21:47 < srevilak> jokeefe: will do
21:48 < srevilak> IIRC, about half the `where' votes were boston, and
        half west of boston.
21:48 < srevilak> Were we considering 128-belt at one point?
21:49 < jokeefe> suggestions?  it was 13 of 22 for Boston area, with
        smaller #s for outside Boston.
21:51 < jokeefe> could also aim to have mini-confs in WMass & Worcester
21:51 < srevilak> I stand corrected.  Didn't realize the Boston total
        was that high
21:51 < jokeefe> mini-confs later in the year
21:53 < jokeefe> ok, well lets see what we turn up
21:54 < CaptBlackbeard> How big is the crew Capt.?
21:54 < jokeefe> and aim to lock the date & or location down in the next
        two weeks
21:54 < jokeefe> for the conference?
21:54 < CaptBlackbeard> Its safe to assume our strength is in Bostonr
        at the moment
21:55 < CaptBlackbeard> for the party as a whole
21:55 < jokeefe> higher % in Boston, but we have supporters all over
21:56 < jokeefe> we are almost at time - so Work with Pass Mass Amendment
        this fall?  srevilak, would you speak on this?
21:56 < srevilak> PMA is planning to do another petition drive this fall.
21:56 < srevilak> They asked if we'd help them petition again
21:57 < jokeefe> what are the dates for the operation?
21:57 < srevilak> So, question is "are we interested in helping them
        petition again"
21:57 < CaptBlackbeard>
        http://passmassamendment.wikispaces.com/About+the+Ballot+Initiative
21:58 < noe> I am down for it.  It's a good opportunity to get other
        Pirates out and doing stuff.
21:58 < Kendra> It is something that needs more people helping out.
21:58 < srevilak> As far as dates, go -- I believe Sept. 2015
21:59 < srevilak> (starting sept 2015).  Probably through Nov 2015.
21:59 < CaptBlackbeard> the cause is worthy enough but my question is
        what an amendment keep the scurvy away?
21:59 < jokeefe> I am supportive, but want to know the time commitment
22:00 < noe> I definitely noticed that volunteers who had petitioned
        before, whether with PMA or otherwise, had an easier time doing
        face-to-face stuff.
22:00 < noe> I think we should see it as a training opportunity, as well
        as an opportunity to get to know other activists whose interests aligns
        with ours.
22:01 < jokeefe> good point
22:01 < jokeefe> so all in favor of lending them a hand?
22:01 < noe> aye
22:01 < Kendra> aye
22:01 < srevilak> aye
22:01 < CaptBlackbeard> aye
22:02 < jokeefe> aye
22:02 < tgstkmop> aye
22:02 < jokeefe> ok, we are at time, but I wanted to bring one thing up
22:02 < jokeefe> there is a vigil to remember aaron swartz on 1/12 -
        https://www.facebook.com/events/730619340362236/
22:03 < jokeefe> Suggest we endorse it
22:03 < Kendra> second
22:03 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:03 < CaptBlackbeard> aye
22:03 < srevilak> aye
22:04 < Kendra> aye
22:04 < noe> aye
22:04 < jokeefe> aye
22:04 < jokeefe> any opposed?
22:05 < CaptBlackbeard> *crickets*
22:05 < jokeefe> motion passes
22:06 < jokeefe> alright then, anything else folks want to bring up?
22:06 < jokeefe> announcements...
22:07 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn then?
22:07 < noe> second
22:07 < srevilak> aye
22:07 < Kendra> aye
22:08 < jokeefe> aye
22:08 < CaptBlackbeard> aye
22:08 < Kendra> nite all
22:08 < noe> nite!
22:08 < noe> to the new year
22:09 < jokeefe> motion passes.