January 23rd, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

  1. Events To Plan
    1. 1/25, Issue Meeting. 2-4pm Pizzaria Regina.
    2. 1/25, 7pm, Activists Ball http://activistballboston.wordpress.com/
      1. Table
      2. Who is going?
    3. 1/28 (Tue), International Privacy Day - Do anything for it?
    4. 1/31 (Fri), 1pm, Inter-Continental Rally and March against the TPP, State House, 24 Beacon St, Boston
    5. 2/9, Cryptoparty, Northeastern University - Organizing
    6. 2/11, The Day we Fight Back, Call in to Congress about NSA surveillance
    7. 2/17 (Monday), Snowden, Manning & other whistleblowers Airport Protest
    8. March Cryptoparty
  2. Support Outreach & Fundraising
    1. Submitted application for bitpay
    2. Nation Builder - 14 day trial extended
    3. Phone banking - Sun. 2/23 2-4pm, Arlington
    4. Pirate Party Fundraiser - Sat. 3/21, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge
      1. Walkthrough
      2. Artists
      3. Logistics
  3. 2014 Campaign
    1. Candidate Page - version up at http://masspirates.org/blog/candidates-wanted/
    2. Media List
    3. Mapping
    4. Voter registration app
    5. Training Video Status
    6. Set dates/locations for trainings - Feb, Mar
  4. 2014 Conference
    1. Location?
    2. Date - poll not sent
    3. Need info on it at Fundraiser so we can sell tickets
  5. Upcoming Event List
    1. 1/23, Medway Pirates Meeting. twitter youtube
    2. 1/25, Issue Meeting
    3. 1/25, 7pm, Activists Ball
    4. 1/28 (Tue), International Privacy Day
    5. 1/31 (Fri), 1pm, Inter-Continental Rally and March against the TPP, State House, 24 Beacon St, Boston
    6. 2/8, Boston Security Conference, Cambridge
    7. 2/9, Cryptoparty, Northeastern University
    8. 2/9, Somerville Pirate Party meeting. https://twitter.com/villepirates
    9. 2/11, The Day we Fight Back, Call in to Congress about NSA surveillance
    10. 2/17 (Monday), Snowden, Manning & other whistleblowers Airport Protest
    11. 2/23 2-4pm. Phone banking/fundraising.
    12. March Cryptoparty
    13. 3/21 (Saturday), Pirate Party Fundraiser, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Igel (William Fleurant, Arlington MA)
  • Joeguertin (Joseph Guertin, Bellingham MA)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • JCFiero

Observers:

  • ageis
  • davidd
  • zby

Summary

We'll need to start coordinating efforts to collect ballot signatures for Joe.

Potential topics for IPM

  • Net neutrality in the wake of the last verizon court case.
  • Getting ballot signatures for Joe.
  • If Joe were elected, what legislation could he introduce.

Activists Ball. Jamie / Lucia to contact sarah, re: tabling.

International Privacy Day. Due to short timeline + other commitments, we'll settle for doing a blog post.

Motion to endorse 1/31 Inter-Continental Rally and March against the TPP. Motion passes unanimously.

Cryptoparty 2/9. Lining up presenters. Andrew Lewman, Kendra, kendra, srevilak confirmed. Bluestreak will see if Al Willis can give a talk on bitcoin.

The day we fight back. srevilak will write "call your congressman script". Motion to endorse. Motion passes (7-0)

Earlier today, we submitted papers for Joe's Congressional campaign. Bluestreak to write press release.

Bitpay. Jamie started setting up an account, so that we can accept bitcoin donations.

Nationbuilder. They extended our trial window. But there are reservations about cost (could the funds be put to better use?) However, we'd still like to try out their tool. Jokeefe, Bluestreak, srevilak to test the service out.

2014 Campaign. http://masspirates.org/blog/candidates-wanted/ went up in the last day. Would be great to get a few more candidates. srevilak to write blog post seeking candidates. If on-line voter registration bill becomes law, we may not need a voter reg app.

Meeting Minutes

21:00 < srevilak> shall we get started?  Agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/January_23rd,_2014_IRC_Meeting#Participants
21:00 < srevilak> ids
21:00 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:01 < Igel> William Fleurant, Arlington MA
21:02 < Joeguertin> Joseph Guertin, Bellingham MA
21:02 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:03 < srevilak> Planning ...
21:04 < srevilak> 1.1 Issue Meeting on 1/25
21:04 < Bluestreak> Not attending
21:04 < Bluestreak> Too tired after Arisia
21:04 < srevilak> Bluestreak: np
21:04 < Bluestreak> it's a 4 hour commitment
21:04 < Bluestreak> on a day I have a ball to go to
21:05 < srevilak> I assume we'll stick with the usual 2-4pm slot.  Sound okay?
21:05 < srevilak> At Bertucci's in Allston
21:05 < Bluestreak> Bertuccis?
21:05 < Bluestreak> Not Regina Pizzeria?
21:05 < srevilak> I stand corrected - Regina Pizzeria
21:07 < srevilak> Any suggestions for policy issues to discuss?
21:08 < srevilak> I wouldn't mind talking about way to promote net neutrality, in the wake of the last verizon court ruling.  But perhaps folks have other ideas.
21:09 < Igel> re: http://masspirates.org/blog/2014/01/12/verizons-take-on-nsa-surveillance/
21:09 < JCFiero> no that is good.... promoting net nutrailty is key.
21:09 < srevilak> That's a slightly different thing
21:09 < Bluestreak> Please ask for volunteers to collect signatures to get Joe on the ballot.
21:09 < srevilak> good point
21:10 < srevilak> Signatures have to be from Joe's district, yes?  How many?
21:10 < JCFiero> IMO the only reason all the major companies have stepped up and complained about NSA spying tthis point is because they are loosing so much business and esp. international clients
21:10 < JCFiero> 150 confirmed signatures?.. 
21:10 < Bluestreak> Yes, Bellingham
21:10 < Bluestreak> no more than 200
21:11 < Bluestreak> not more than 200
21:11 < Bluestreak> very few needed, yay
21:11 < Bluestreak> but help is needed please. It will be the first time a MA Pirate makes it on the ballot.
21:11 < Joeguertin> Also can hit up blackstone and uxbridge. There are some great places I know of and can ask around
21:11 < srevilak> Bluestreak: agreed.  Anything else on Saturday's IPM?
21:11 < Igel> Yeah, I wanted to hear Kade speak re: big brother & little brother
21:12 < Bluestreak> Jason was going to submit Arisia financial report
21:12 < Bluestreak> if he goes
21:12 < srevilak> ok
21:12 < Bluestreak> Otherwise you guys can review what he emails you
21:13 < Bluestreak> Discuss bills Joe  could introduce if elected
21:13 < srevilak> Good idea.
21:13 < Bluestreak> We did this a few months back, crowdsourcing his planks
21:13 < srevilak> 1.2 Activists Ball
21:14 < Bluestreak> Still waiting to hear from jokeefe if he bought a block of tickets
21:14 < Bluestreak> he must be pretty busy today
21:14 < srevilak> Bluestreak: he had to step out for a moment.  Should return shortly
21:14 < Bluestreak> Well that is really the only thing we need to know.
21:14 < jokeefe> hi
21:14 < Bluestreak> Hey!
21:15 < Bluestreak> Hope youre well
21:15 < jokeefe> I think I need to get six tickets, yes?
21:15 < Bluestreak> 3 of us coming from the Medway Branch
21:15 < srevilak> I already purchased one
21:15 < jokeefe> really tired.  would prefer to be asleep
21:15 < jokeefe> so seven tickets
21:15 < Bluestreak> Same in this house
21:15 < Bluestreak> Arisia takes a lot of a geek
21:16 < srevilak> Shall I bring tabling stuff?  Happy to table while I'm there
21:16 < Bluestreak> jokeefe expressed concern about cost
21:16 < jokeefe> tabling is 3-7pm
21:17 < jokeefe> when will you be there srevilak?
21:17 < Bluestreak> I reached out to Rich Aucoin about splitting a table with PANDA
21:17 < Bluestreak> He said yes, OK?
21:17 < srevilak> I thought the ball started at 7pm.  Was planning to show up around that time.
21:17 < Bluestreak> Eeep
21:17 < Bluestreak> Me too!
21:18 < Bluestreak> So... change of plans?
21:19 < JCFiero> I'll go early to Table if there is going to be any early draw... otherwise it may be a waste of time?
21:19 < Bluestreak> Gah! Really?
21:19 < Bluestreak> Seperate cars?
21:19 < JCFiero> as needed..
21:20 < JCFiero> did they flyers advertise t starting that early?
21:20 < Bluestreak> Joeguertin and I can go later
21:20 < jokeefe> maybe 7pm+, Dan said it was from 3pm on, but I am not seeing that elsewhere
21:20 < Bluestreak> Feh Dan
21:20 < Bluestreak> Dan is very confusing
21:20 < srevilak> http://activistballboston.wordpress.com/ claims 7-11pm
21:21 < Bluestreak> I often misunderstand him
21:21 < JCFiero> yea that is what I am worried about.... it will be a ghost-town early then..
21:21 < Bluestreak> Let
21:21 < Bluestreak> s assume Dan is wrong
21:21 < JCFiero> maybe they open at 3 to let people set up early if they needed to
21:21 < Bluestreak> No
21:22 < Joeguertin> I can go later or earlier, whichever works
21:22 < Bluestreak> I really dont think there is a need to be there before 7
21:22 < Bluestreak> I will dbl check with Sarah.
21:22 < srevilak> The IPM ends at 4pm.  So, no need to be there before 4pm :)
21:22 < Bluestreak> OK, y'all?
21:22 < srevilak> Bluestreak: ok
21:22 < Bluestreak> :-D
21:23 < srevilak> So, we've got a couple people going.  Bluestreak to contact sarah, re tabling.  ok?
21:23 < Bluestreak> So everyone OK splitting table (and cost) with Panda?
21:23 < srevilak> ok
21:23 < jokeefe> sending the email now
21:24 < jokeefe> or did you already do it Bluestreak?
21:24 < Bluestreak> I'm sorry what email?
21:24 < jokeefe> re: table
21:24 < Bluestreak> You checking with Sarah?
21:24 < jokeefe> yes
21:24 < Bluestreak> Good ty
21:25 < Bluestreak> I am coming down with something...
21:25 < srevilak> 1.3 International Privacy Day - Do anything for it? 
21:25 < srevilak> Given the short timeline, and our other commitments, maybe we just make a blog post?
21:26 < jokeefe> blog post sounds good.  would like to have an event, but we have the whole NSA / snowden activities in Feb.
21:26 < srevilak> Anyone interested in writing the blog post?
21:27 < jokeefe> could tie it to The day we fight back & 2/9 cryptoparty
21:27 < js0000> i could write a eulogy for privacy ...
21:27 < jokeefe> too much of a downer, man
21:27 < srevilak> js0000: sounds brilliant to me :)
21:27 < js0000> i know, sry
21:28 < Bluestreak> You're just tired, jokeefe
21:28 < js0000> i'm brilliantly depressing :-P
21:28 < Bluestreak> I agree with srevilak
21:28 < jokeefe> as long as it cites Dan Bull's The NSA hate this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_a7_pygtNA
21:28 < jokeefe> ;-)
21:28 < srevilak> If someone has time to write, great.  If not, we'll do better next year
21:29 < srevilak> 1.4 1/31 (Fri), 1pm, Inter-Continental Rally and March against the TPP, State House, 24 Beacon St, Boston 
21:29 < srevilak> Middle of the day.  Can anyone make it?
21:29 < jokeefe> I will write something
21:30 < Bluestreak> Dan Bull = Epic
21:30 < jokeefe> I will be at the TPP event.  think we should endorse
21:30 < Bluestreak> 2nd
21:31 < Bluestreak> TPP is serious shit
21:31 < srevilak> Vote to endorse TPP event.  All in favor?
21:31 < Bluestreak> threat to national sovereignty.
21:31 < Bluestreak> aaye
21:31 < js0000> aye
21:31 < jokeefe> aye
21:31 < srevilak> aue
21:31 < Igel> aye!
21:32 < srevilak> aye
21:32 < Bluestreak> JCFiero?
21:32 < JCFiero> aye
21:32 < srevilak> opposed?
21:32 < js0000> safe!
21:32 < srevilak> going once
21:33 < srevilak> going twice
21:33 < srevilak> motion to endorse passes
21:33 < jokeefe> maybe I should go to bed, srevilak is doing a great job
21:33 < srevilak> 1.5 2/9, Cryptoparty, Northeastern University - Organizing 
21:33 < srevilak> jokeefe: shucks.
21:33 < Bluestreak> I said I would write to AL
21:34 < Bluestreak> Maybe we should all go to bed...
21:34 < srevilak> jokeefe: Piratepad claims you were up late last night.  Duck out of you need to
21:34 < Bluestreak> JK!
21:34 < jokeefe> got a bunch of speakers, for it, need more & schedule.  will finish this weekend.  gives all groups backing it 2 weeks to publicize.
21:34 < Bluestreak> I have a cold, may I be excused?
21:34 < Joeguertin> Well that song was great btw
21:34 < Bluestreak> Just get the tickets!
21:34 < jokeefe> am awake… for now
21:35 < Bluestreak> You can go to bed jokeefe if
21:35 < srevilak> Cryptoparty.  We have a few people to present.  Kendra, Andrew Lewman, Jokeefe, and myself
21:35 < Bluestreak> you promise to get the tickets tomorrow
21:35 < Bluestreak> I said I would reach out to AL
21:35 < jokeefe> I count 7 tickets - 2xme, Bluestreak, JCFiero, JoeG, Bryan, Kendra
21:35 < Bluestreak> Al Willis, crypto currency guy
21:35 < jokeefe> any others
21:36 < srevilak> Bluestreak: thx.  Please see if Al is interested in doing a talk
21:36 < Bluestreak> I will. I love his talks
21:36 < jokeefe> thanks, Bluestreak
21:37 < Bluestreak> ticket count sounds correct
21:37 < srevilak> 1.7 2.11.  The day we fight back.
21:38 < srevilak> I'll try to write a "call your congressman script"
21:38 < Bluestreak> Move to endorse
21:38 < Bluestreak> and move to participate
21:38 < jokeefe> seven it is
21:38 < Bluestreak> Good night, sir
21:38 < srevilak> All in favor of endorsing 2/11 Day we fight back?
21:38 < Bluestreak> aye
21:38 < jokeefe> aye
21:38 < js0000> aye
21:38 < srevilak> aye
21:39 < JCFiero> aye
21:39 < srevilak> Igel: ?
21:39 < Igel> Aye!
21:39 < srevilak> Any opposed?
21:39 < srevilak> Going once
21:39 < srevilak> Going twice
21:40 < srevilak> Joeguertin: ?
21:40 < Joeguertin> aye
21:40 < srevilak> motion passes
21:41 < srevilak> 1.7 2/17 (Monday), Snowden, Manning & other whistleblowers Airport Protest
21:41 < Bluestreak> I want to be there.
21:41 < srevilak> me too
21:41 < Bluestreak> I am pretty sure I will be there. JCFiero coming with?
21:41 < srevilak> should we discuss now, or later?  (We have a few weeks)
21:42 < Bluestreak> Girl can watch the boy for us
21:42 < JCFiero> haven't thought that much ahead yet sorry 
21:42 < Bluestreak> I want to announce somthing:
21:42 < srevilak> Bluestreak: announce away
21:42 < JCFiero> need to sit down with calander
21:42 < Bluestreak> Earlier tonight we signed papers to launch Joe's campaign
21:42 < Bluestreak> I am Chair, Jason is Treasurer
21:42 < srevilak> excellent :)
21:42 < Bluestreak> Will mail in the morning
21:42 < srevilak> ok
21:43 < Bluestreak> I wil write th press release as requested by captian
21:43 < Bluestreak> Tomorrow
21:43 < srevilak> 2. Support Outreach & Fundraising 
21:44 < jokeefe> should go out monday.  it won't be noticed on saturday
21:44 < Bluestreak> Yes, sir
21:44 < Bluestreak> I will write it over the weekend
21:44 < srevilak> jokeefe: have a quick synopsis on bitpay?  (Thx for setting that up, btw)
21:44 < Bluestreak> (I thought you were going to bed?)
21:45 < Bluestreak> JCFiero can you come upstairs, please?
21:45 < js0000>  +1 on bitcoin payments, nice work all
21:45 < Igel> ya!
21:45 < Bluestreak> agreed well done sirs
21:46 < srevilak> 2.4 Pirate Party Fundraiser - Sat. 3/21, Democracy Center.  Kendra and I working on setting up a time for Democracy center walkthrough
21:46 < srevilak> Will report back when we have stuff to rport
21:46 < Bluestreak> OK will be there.
21:46 < Bluestreak> I have news
21:47 < Bluestreak> Met a hammered duclimer playing pirate
21:47 < Bluestreak> at Arisia
21:47 < Bluestreak> Going to ask him to play at fundraiser.
21:47 < srevilak> Bluestreak:  go for it
21:47 < srevilak> you can duet :)
21:47 < Bluestreak> Have a Rap, Celtic, dubstep thing going
21:48 < Bluestreak> He is MUCH better than I am.
21:48 < Bluestreak> But I will practice.
21:48 < srevilak> 2.2 Nation Builder - 14 day trial extended 
21:48 < srevilak> I don't think we received login info for trial.  And, there's the issue of cost.
21:49 < Bluestreak> Not interested
21:49 < Bluestreak> One less thing for me to learn
21:49 < Bluestreak> Plus we need the money for other things
21:49 < Bluestreak> (my 2 cents)
21:50 < jokeefe> we need something besides the free things we have.  will complete trial and give evaluation.
21:50 < srevilak> jokeefe: if you can get me a login, I'm happy to help kick tires
21:50 < Bluestreak> How do we log in?
21:51 < jokeefe> yes, 1st step
21:51 < Bluestreak> Yes, if it means that much to you, i will at least look at it
21:52 < Bluestreak> So get me a log in too
21:53 < srevilak> Time is now 21:53, we're in the home stretch
21:54 < srevilak> 3. 2014 Campaign
21:54 < srevilak> Have we gotten any responses to http://masspirates.org/blog/candidates-wanted/?
21:55 < jokeefe> nope,but has only been up 24 hours and we haven't advertised it
21:55 < Bluestreak> I am hoping if we can get Joe on the ballot early, and get him some press...
21:55 < srevilak> jokeefe: that 'splains it
21:55 < Bluestreak> It will motivate others.
21:55 < jokeefe> agreed
21:55 < srevilak> Awesome that Joe is running.  >= 2 candidates would be even more awesome
21:55 < jokeefe> yes
21:56 < jokeefe> blog post & tweets/fb post needed
21:56 < srevilak> I can work on blog post -- after activists ball
21:57 < Bluestreak> Gosh we're busy
21:57 < Joeguertin> I wouldn't mind having a few more candidates
21:57 < jokeefe> thanks.  put it on a pad if you want help
21:57 < jokeefe> yes we are'
21:57 < Bluestreak> (Yay)
21:57 < Bluestreak> (and YAWN!)
21:57 < srevilak> jokeefe: will put draft on pad
21:57 < Bluestreak> TY SR
21:57 < srevilak> Any other election stuff to discuss (Voter map, Voter reg).
21:58 < Bluestreak> Yes, we had Joe
21:58 < Bluestreak> s district wrong
21:58 < js0000> work has been full for me
21:58 < Bluestreak> the map on the MA.gove site is wrong
21:58 < Bluestreak> Someone should tell them taht
21:58 < js0000> will get back to voter reg soon
21:58 < srevilak> If online reg goes through in time, maybe we won't need voter reg app.  We just point to state's site
21:59 < js0000> i thought that too
21:59 < Bluestreak> Bellingham is *8th* Worcester, not 18th
21:59 < srevilak> Perhaps it would be worth trying to drum up support for online reg
21:59 < js0000> but did want to try to deliver something
21:59 < srevilak> js0000: do what you can
22:00 < Bluestreak> Time
22:00 < js0000> thx sr
22:00 < srevilak> Any other pressing issues for tonight?
22:01 < Bluestreak> Last thing before motion to adjourn
22:01 < srevilak> Bluestreak: go ahead
22:01 < Bluestreak> Where in Arlington are we phone banking from?
22:01 < srevilak> My house
22:01 < Bluestreak> Yay. I will bring cookies
22:01 < srevilak> Mmmm, cookies
22:01 < Bluestreak> Thanks, srevilak
22:01 < Bluestreak> OK I'm done for the night
22:01 < Bluestreak> stick a fork in me
22:02 < srevilak> Ok, motion to adjourn?
22:02 < Bluestreak> 2nd
22:02 < js0000> good meeting sr
22:02 < JCFiero> motion
22:02 < JCFiero> lo
22:02 < JCFiero> l
22:02 < Joeguertin> more motion
22:02 < Bluestreak> l
22:02 < Bluestreak> o
22:02 < Bluestreak> l
22:02 < srevilak> All right.  See you folks on Sat.
22:02 < Igel> aye
22:02 < Bluestreak> night!