January 23rd, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Define issue: Building Individual Autonomy and Control

Pirate pad

Projects

Goals for Q1:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Budget

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Regional Meetings

Election Campaigns

Update Platform

Video Newsletter

Tech/Outreach

  • find discussion/voting system
  • update blog theme
  • update civicrm software
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Statements

Mesh Net

Cryptoparties

CCTV camera map

Other To Dos

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Computer Donations

On hold - https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 1/29, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • davidd
  • Mikaela_Suomalainen
  • bonelesspepsi[m]

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:04pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_23rd,_2019_IRC_Meeting
[9:04pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:04pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:05pm] DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: Location meetings; Budget review; Vigil
[9:06pm] DesmondRavenstone: Could talk about the new recruit and idea for sex worker rights activism'
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: Also, Nation vote
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: *National
[9:07pm] jokeefe: let’s talk about it during the Boston Sex Worker Petition discussion
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: Ok
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: Also, I am prepaid for a longer meeting if anyone else is as well
[9:07pm] jokeefe: yes, let’s discuss national party
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Skipping to Building Individual Autonomy and Control
[9:08pm] jokeefe: https://piratenpad.de/p/MAPPIndividualAutonomyIssueText
[9:08pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: ahoy, Malt
[9:08pm] DesmondRavenstone: I like the paragraph in pink with the grayish edits. Suggest proposing on activist list for feedback
[9:08pm] Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Someone suggested:
[9:08pm] Malt: Hi friends
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Affirming Individual Autonomy
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Democracy can only be sustained when individuals are able to exercise autonomy over their own lives and bodies to assure their well-being and happiness, while respecting the autonomy of other individuals. We call for more participatory political and social systems, equitable access to resources, and no intrusion by government and corporate institutions into the lives of individuals.
[9:09pm] DesmondRavenstone: thumbs up
[9:09pm] Malt: I like
[9:09pm] jokeefe: Though I made it stronger with changing more equitable to equitable and less intrusion by government and corporate institutions to no intrusion by government and corporate institutions
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: Hmmm
[9:10pm] DesmondRavenstone: 2nd hmmm
[9:10pm] jokeefe: vastly more equitable?
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: Goverment, corporations, or third parties
[9:10pm] DesmondRavenstone: Minimal intrusion'
[9:10pm] Malt: Eh, I think it's covered as is
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: Plenty of crimes are committed by Partnerships and sole props as well
[9:11pm] jokeefe: true
[9:11pm] Malt: I think the intent is clear
[9:11pm] DesmondRavenstone: Partnerships and sole props are still corporations
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: Depends on how they are structured, you can go either way
[9:12pm] DesmondRavenstone: Sounds like the "sticky" points are the stronger / less equivocal language.
[9:13pm] DesmondRavenstone: Why don't we open discussion on this with activist list, get more feedback on options.
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: I just want to make sure there is no loop holes for bad behavior as our current leader is keen to use.
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: I second the motion
[9:13pm] jokeefe: I feel like it is time to make a decision.  It has been mentioned for nearly two months and has been on the agenda.
[9:14pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:14pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'd be happier with "vastly more equitable" and "minimal intrusion"
[9:14pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: DesmondRavenstone: I'd be happier with "vastly more equitable" and "minimal intrusion"
[9:15pm] jokeefe: I can live with both
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: This is a simple fix, just add "third parties" to the language so that the rule applies to all whom would infringe upon another's rights
[9:15pm] jokeefe: I have no objections
[9:15pm] Malt: Alright
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: So basically would have no rights to steal Malt's kittens. 
[9:16pm] DesmondRavenstone: How about combine "corp institutions" and "other third parties" to "powerful private interests"
[9:16pm] Malt: Ooohhhhh
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Wouldn’t limit it to powerful
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: ^
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Democracy can only be sustained when individuals are able to exercise autonomy over their own lives and bodies to assure their well-being and happiness, while respecting the autonomy of other individuals. We call for more participatory political and social systems, vastly more equitable access to resources, and minimal intrusion by government and private interests into the lives of individuals.
[9:17pm] DesmondRavenstone: Sounds good
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: I agree
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Also, “We call for more participatory political and social systems” or “We call for participatory political and social systems”
[9:18pm] jokeefe: sorry
[9:18pm] Malt: "corporate and other private interests"
[9:18pm] DesmondRavenstone: or "full participatory political … "
[9:18pm] DesmondRavenstone: "fully participatory"
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: We call for more standardized participatory political and social systems
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Democracy can only be sustained when individuals are able to exercise autonomy over their own lives and bodies to assure their well-being and happiness, while respecting the autonomy of other individuals. We call for fully participatory political and social systems, vastly more equitable access to resources, and minimal intrusion by government, corporate and other private interests into the lives of individuals.
[9:19pm] DesmondRavenstone: I think the issue is the degree of participation, not whether its "standardized"
[9:19pm] jokeefe: not sure what standardized means in this context
[9:19pm] DesmondRavenstone: ^^^
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, it sounded better in my head
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: I veto it as well.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:20pm] jokeefe: veto standardized?
[9:20pm] DesmondRavenstone: Latest redact by @jokeefe sounds good
[9:20pm] Malt: Agreed
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: We call for the right to have full participation of our political and social systems...
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: Well, one can have the right, but not the actual system in practice
[9:21pm] Malt: Why not just "we call for full participation"
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: I say keep this as is
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: Otherwise we quibble on this all night!
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: I have no hard objections, I am just tossing out different verbiage but have no attachment to it.
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: If you are happy with how it sounds, I am happy to proceed.
[9:23pm] DesmondRavenstone: ^^^
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Malt: full participation could be interpreted as impling that everyone has to participate fully
[9:23pm] DesmondRavenstone: ^^^
[9:23pm] jokeefe: s/impling/implying/g
[9:23pm] Malt: I don't see a downside to that
[9:23pm] jokeefe: lol
[9:23pm] DesmondRavenstone: Compelling someone to participate? Hmph
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: Not everyone can be educated on every topic
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Not until we are in the Matrix that is.
[9:24pm] jokeefe: hopefully not
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: DL Rachael Ray cookbook.....
[9:24pm] Malt: I'm just tired of talking about "rights"
[9:24pm] Malt: Instead of power
[9:25pm] Malt: We've got rights but no power to enforce them
[9:25pm] DesmondRavenstone: Hence call for changes in systems
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: We change the laws, we gain the power to have them enforced.
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Agreed. “fully participatory political and social systems “ seems more than just the right to. Is “Democracy can only be sustained when individuals are able to exercise autonomy over their own lives and bodies to assure their well-being and happiness, while respecting the autonomy of other individuals. We call for fully participatory political and social systems, vastly more equitable access to resources, and minimal intrusion by government, corporate and other private interests into the lives of individuals.” acceptable?
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: We get the support of the public, we change the laws
[9:26pm] DesmondRavenstone: I like the current draft.
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: I agree on this statement. Anyone second?
[9:26pm] Malt: 2nd
[9:26pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: All in favor?
[9:26pm] DesmondRavenstone: AYE
[9:26pm] Malt: Aye
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: Sry Capt
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:26pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:27pm] jokeefe: any opposed?
[9:27pm] DesmondRavenstone: just crickets
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: I aye's have it.
[9:27pm] DesmondRavenstone:
[9:27pm] jokeefe: well, there are others …
[9:27pm] jokeefe: have to ask
[9:28pm] jokeefe: motion passes.
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Affirming Individual Autonomy
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Democracy can only be sustained when individuals are able to exercise autonomy over their own lives and bodies to assure their well-being and happiness, while respecting the autonomy of other individuals. We call for fully participatory political and social systems, vastly more equitable access to resources, and minimal intrusion by government, corporate and other private interests into the lives of individuals.
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Moving to Projects
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Budget
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe?
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Due to overages in last years contributions, we have to make a donation of 34.43 to another body
[9:30pm] Malt: Trans lifeline?
[9:30pm] DesmondRavenstone: Any suggestions?
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: I believe we agreed on this but after looking over my notes, I do not have anything definitive.
[9:30pm] Malt: Eff?
[9:30pm] Malt: Mesh network?
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: I would recommend something more main stream like the red cross, but it does not matter what it is.
[9:31pm] Malt: Red Cross has some logistical issues lately, I don't think that's a good choice
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: My only wish is for something that is non-profit
[9:31pm] Malt: What about something mA based?
[9:31pm] jokeefe: we have done this in the past. would suggest we use one of those charities since they have to be vetted by the state
[9:31pm] DesmondRavenstone: There is an outreach to street-based sex workers in western Mass. They could definitely use the money
[9:31pm] Malt: MassLEAP does youth poetry across the state
[9:31pm] Malt: Ohhhhhhhh good call Desmond
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: We could even give it to a children's hospital like Shriners
[9:32pm] Malt: Penny arcades Child's Play
[9:32pm] DesmondRavenstone: Pirate_Joe how about I contact the coordinator of the SW project, see about non-profit status etc.
[9:32pm] Malt: I vote that or mesh net
[9:33pm] Malt: Someone close to our work
[9:33pm] jokeefe: In 2013, srevilak recommended we give to three organizations (BORDC and two food
[9:33pm] jokeefe: banks) that are registered charities with the Mass AG.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: MassMesh isn’t a charity
[9:33pm] jokeefe: yet
[9:33pm] Malt: Food banks could use the help
[9:33pm] jokeefe: BORDC is the Bill of Rights Defense Committee
[9:33pm] Malt: Ah phooey
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: We have a major food bank here in lowell.
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: https://thewishproject.org/
[9:34pm] Malt: 34$ for 34 days of shutdown
[9:34pm] DesmondRavenstone: Or … Friday Night Supper Program at Arlington Street Church, 501c3
[9:34pm] jokeefe: I suggest a food bank that gives to federal workers
[9:34pm] DesmondRavenstone: Like that ^^^
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: the wish project is a depo for other food banks
[9:35pm] DesmondRavenstone: I read there is a Muslim network that has been giving food boxes to Fed workers
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: they also put togather cookware and other items to help families restart
[9:35pm] DesmondRavenstone: OK to get it moving I 2nd the Wish Project
[9:36pm] Malt: 3rd
[9:36pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:36pm] DesmondRavenstone: AYE
[9:36pm] Malt: Aye
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:36pm] Malt: Fuck Trump and his attacks on food aid to kids
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: Though, on a side note......
[9:37pm] Malt: That's what made me get up and holler
[9:37pm] DesmondRavenstone: Fuck Trump in the ass without any lube
[9:37pm] jokeefe: do they say they are a 501c3?
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: DesmondRavenstone, if the SW project is indeed a non-profit, we can start a drive to support them.
[9:37pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'll check with Caty the coordinator, see what info she can give
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: Ty
[9:38pm] Malt: Nice
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: On a side note while we are on that topic, Capt?
[9:38pm] jokeefe: https://www.guidestar.org/profile/20-3249145
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: I know people down there, I can just pop in with a check.
[9:39pm] DesmondRavenstone:
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: I'll also get it reported to the OCPF
[9:39pm] jokeefe: I have no objections to it
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Any opposed?
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: Jokeefe, we discussed during the vigil that we should do one in the warmer weather, could we start planning a SW vigil for this summer?
[9:40pm] DesmondRavenstone: Let me check when designated days are ...
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Motion passes
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Before we talk about it, anything else for budget?
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: I will get it done by the next meeting.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:41pm] Malt: Not budget
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: That was old business, I am not looking to discuss new business until next week.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:41pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:41pm] jokeefe: moving on to Boston Sex Worker Petition
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe:
[9:42pm] DesmondRavenstone: Slowly building … I think if more folks push it, we can get more sigs.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Choosing a date for a summer/spring vigil would be good
[9:42pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'll look into that and email you later
[9:42pm] DesmondRavenstone: Meanwhile ... possible recruit!
[9:42pm] jokeefe: good
[9:43pm] DesmondRavenstone: A sex worker in the Boston area contacted me, has a big chunk o $$$ she wants to use
[9:43pm] DesmondRavenstone: I suggested a Sex Worker Rights Team under MAPP auspices
[9:43pm] Malt: Huh
[9:43pm] Pirate_Joe: Contributions are limited to $500, and only $50 if it is in cash
[9:44pm] DesmondRavenstone: Let's say this Team is related to MAPP the way Mass Mesh is
[9:44pm] Pirate_Joe: Also, we need full discloser of trade if we are to get the funds passed through the OPCF
[9:44pm] Malt: Can we make the group name an anagram of WENCH?
[9:44pm] Pirate_Joe: Being a political party means we are closely regulated
[9:44pm] Malt: Workers Engaging to Neutralize Child Harming
[9:44pm] Pirate_Joe: If she has a registered business to practice in the commonwealth, then it really will not matter.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: We can support any project, but literature cannot have our name on it unless we pay for it or it is an in-kind donation
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: They just want to know who is give us funds, not why they are giving us funds.
[9:46pm] DesmondRavenstone: How about ... she contributes within minimum, keeps rest to donate privately with groups connecting as a result of MAPP-SWRT work?
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: DesmondRavenstone, I would be happy to go over the rules and regulations with whom ever wishes to support us.
[9:46pm] jokeefe: I think that sounds like a good idea, Pirate_Joe
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: She can contribute the full amount, we just have to make sure it is done in the correct manner.
[9:47pm] DesmondRavenstone: OK. Not a motion but would like a "feel" from this group: Does a Sex Worker Rights Team with myself and Scarlett co-founding sound good?
[9:47pm] jokeefe: We would be happy for any donation, even if earmarked for a purpose, but we need to follow campaign finance regs.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: We support Worker rights and we support decriminalization of sex work, so I don’t see a reason my we won’t support a Sex Worker Rights Team
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: We can discuss this matter in detail via email, we still have quite a bit to cover tonight.
[9:49pm] DesmondRavenstone: OK … will talk further with Scarlett, and with Pirate_Joe on what's permissible moneywise, and keep folks posted as things develop
[9:49pm] jokeefe: s/don’t see a reason my we won’t support/don’t see a reason why we won’t support/g
[9:49pm] jokeefe: cool. thanks
[9:49pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:50pm] Pirate_Joe: Motion to proceed to the next topic.
[9:50pm] DesmondRavenstone: 2nd
[9:50pm] jokeefe: once that is known and come back with a defined proposal that takes into account the issues raised,, DesmondRavenstone
[9:50pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings
[9:51pm] Pirate_Joe: https://www.somervillepubliclibrary.org/library-community/policies/somerville-public-library-meeting-room-policy
[9:51pm] Malt: What dates did you want for Worcester?
[9:51pm] jokeefe: I think I found someone to help with organizing a Boston meeting. need to follow up
[9:51pm] DesmondRavenstone:
[9:51pm] Pirate_Joe: We should stick to public libraries for our meetings, since they are cheap.
[9:51pm] jokeefe: March/April - Malt?
[9:52pm] DesmondRavenstone: Give the Boston person my contact info!
[9:52pm] Malt: Ok, and the run for something meeting?
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Will do
[9:52pm] jokeefe: at same time, Malt?
[9:53pm] Pirate_Joe: Why don't we do a Regional meeting once a month in a different city?
[9:53pm] Malt: Ok!
[9:53pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye
[9:53pm] Pirate_Joe: Such as the last Sunday of every Month?
[9:53pm] jokeefe: that would work
[9:53pm] Malt: 2 hours? I feel like last year's presentation ran short
[9:54pm] jokeefe: last Sunday of the Month is a good goal to aim for
[9:54pm] jokeefe: four hours, Malt?
[9:55pm] Pirate_Joe: I think we need a least 2 weeks for advertisement so lets plan the first one to be at the end of Feb and make it in Somerville
[9:55pm] DesmondRavenstone: You don't want too long. Try to make presentations well organized and coherent
[9:55pm] Pirate_Joe: Just having the meetings open to the public to help them learn what we are about would be half the point.
[9:56pm] DesmondRavenstone: ^^^
[9:56pm] jokeefe: Was thinking, How to run 2 hours, general discussion is 2 hours. stay for what you want
[9:56pm] Malt: 4? Damn, ok
[9:57pm] Malt: Good point, no need to use it all
[9:57pm] Pirate_Joe: General discussion could be a bit of the Cryptoparty content as well.
[9:57pm] DesmondRavenstone: People get antsy after listening for 2 hours. Try to organize well, don't answer everything at once
[9:57pm] jokeefe: how about 1 hour how to run, 1 hour issue discussion and 1 hour organizing discussion
[9:57pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:57pm] DesmondRavenstone: Workable
[9:57pm] jokeefe: not necessary in that order
[9:57pm] Malt: Yeah
[9:58pm] Pirate_Joe: Any pirate issue would do, in fact all the issues would be good to touch upon and get continue feedback.
[9:58pm] Malt: I'd worry issue discussion might run long
[9:58pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'd have 30min discussion after each 1hr segment, or 20min with 5-10min stretch time
[9:58pm] jokeefe: That sounds like a good guide
[9:58pm] DesmondRavenstone: Shoot for 40min present, 20min Q&A, 5-10min stretch
[9:58pm] Pirate_Joe: The only other point I would like to interject in to this idea.....
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: Is to never have two meetings close to one another back to back.
[9:59pm] DesmondRavenstone: Entice and energize so folks want to come to next meeting
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: IE if we have a meeting in the south shore, we should have the other across the state.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: agreed, Pirate_Joe, at least two weeks should separate them
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: One on the north side, one south, east, west
[10:00pm] jokeefe: good to aim for that
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, but we can start with 4 weeks or one month until we gain more movement.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: good
[10:00pm] jokeefe: we are at time …
[10:00pm] Malt: Yup
[10:01pm] jokeefe: do we have a framework for these meetings?
[10:01pm] Pirate_Joe: I would like them to be fairly standardized (got to use that word) so that we have a bit of structure to our messaging.
[10:02pm] jokeefe: lol
[10:02pm] Pirate_Joe: This is who we are, this is what we stand for. That way we can have a foundation that others can rally behind.
[10:02pm] DesmondRavenstone: Having a good structure makes it more effective across the board, assures consistent messaging
[10:02pm] jokeefe: works for me, but my guess is it will evolve over time as we figure out what works best
[10:02pm] Malt: A briefer rundown of municipal positions to run for, how to do it, why to do it
[10:03pm] jokeefe: yup
[10:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Agreed jokeefe and Malt
[10:03pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn then?
[10:03pm] Pirate_Joe: I second
[10:03pm] DesmondRavenstone: So moved
[10:03pm] Malt: Aye
[10:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[10:03pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye
[10:03pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:03pm] Malt: Night friends!
[10:03pm] jokeefe: will post the notest
[10:03pm] jokeefe: thanks all
[10:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Good night. Desmond, email me and I'll get back to you tomorrow when I can.
[10:04pm] DesmondRavenstone left the chat room.
[10:04pm] Malt: I was about to post a photo of my cat before I remembered this isn't chat
[10:04pm] Pirate_Joe: lol
[10:04pm] Malt: We, messenger
[10:04pm] Malt: Er
[10:04pm] Pirate_Joe: <3
[10:04pm] Malt: Night
[10:04pm] Malt: Night
[10:04pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)