January 24th, 2012 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

1. Conference

   a. schedule & speakers
   b. outreach
   c. equipment needed

2. Megaupload statement

3. Anything else others want to bring up.

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

1. Draft schedule:

   a.  9-10am: Breakfast
   b.  10am-noon: Conference Session 1
   c.  noon-1pm: Lunch
   d.  1pm-3pm: Conference Session 2
   e.  3pm-6pm: Conference Session 3
   e.  6pm-7pm: Dinner
   f.  7-9pm: Public Domain / Open movie view fundraiser

2. Draft topics:

   a.  Cyber law
   b.  How to class on maintaining your security on the Internet / Computer
   c.  State of Privacy
   d.  How 2 run 4 office
   e.  Open gov
   f.  "The past, present and future of censoring the internet?" DMCA, ACTA, SOPA, PIPA, CFSA
   y.  ideas from this conference - http://www.shareconference.net/timetable.htm
   z.  crowdsource ideas

3. Draft speakers:

   a.  Jared Ball who wrote a book called I Mix What I Like! about remix culture - http://akpress.com/2011/items/imixwhatilike
   b.  JP will ask some professors he knows
   c.  crowdsource suggestions

Attending

  • bsod - http://activepolitic.com:82/
  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • qkslvrwolf_ - Sean Abbott, arlington ma.
  • creynolds24 - chris reynolds seabrook nh
  • brandonj - brandon, Cambridge. I'm from Occupy Boston
  • AphelionZ - Mark Henderson, MA native currently serving as an Americorps VISTA in South Dakota.
  • wingedearth> Andrew A. Anissi, Boston, MA. live in JP
  • laiv - Chris, Dorchester

Summary

1. Conference schedule - seems ok

2. Conference topics

   a.  Cyber law
   b.  How to class on maintaining your security on the Internet / Computer
   c.  State of Privacy
   d.  How 2 run 4 office
   e.  Open gov
   f.  "The past, present and future of censoring the internet?" DMCA, ACTA, SOPA, PIPA, CFSA
   g.  effects of patents on developing countries - Monsanto + seed / drug patents
   h.  myths of copyright         
   i.  proposals for a better IP system, not just the problems
   j.  MPAA/RIAA tries to create monopolies through anti-piracy + copyright legislation

3. Conference speakers

   a.  Lawrence Lessig
   b.  Jared Ball
   c.  OpenGov / Muckrock
   d.  Susan Crawford - http://scrawford.net/4-2/

4. Conference equipment

   a.  Need projector & screen?
   b.  wifi
   c.  make list and put out a call for donations

5. Our Megaupload statement

Despite overwhelming, worldwide public opposition to the current trends in ever-tightening and ever more intrusive copyright laws and copyright enforcement, the Department of Justice has seized and shutdown Megaupload, a popular online service that is not based in the United States. To make matters worse, New Zealand authorities have arrested 4 members of the Megaupload team due to pressure from the US Department of Justice and a sealed indictment handed down by a Virginia grand jury. None of the accused individuals are residents of the United States.

Megaupload is a Hong Kong based web service with servers in numerous countries, allowing users to store and share their files online in a file storage locker. Like other cloud computing sites, Megaupload provides an easy way for users to back up and/or transfer files through a remote server.

Prior to the seizure, the American entertainment industry has accused Megaupload of being a “pirate” site, based on users ability to transit files to one another through the Megaupload service. A number of major recording artists including Kanye West, Snoop Dogg, and Alicia Keys recorded a video performing the “The Mega Song”, in which they sang about their support for Megaupload based on its ease of use and its potential to aid in the distribution of music to the public. The Mega Song was uploaded to YouTube with the artists’ consent. Universal Music Group (UMG), the largest record company in the world, demanded repeatedly that YouTube remove the video. The justification for such removal is unclear. When UMG refused to reverse its demands or give an apology, Megaupload filed suit against UMG in the US District Court for the Northern District of California.

Before the case was heard, it appears that pressure from the entertainment industry resulted in Megaupload being seized and shutdown by federal authorities.

In addition to being a violation of national sovereignty, and of the rights of the arrested individuals, the seizures are a shocking revelation of the collusion between a private industry and our government, as well as the extent to which our government will go to serve an industry with so much control over the flow of information and culture to the public. No less than five (5) former RIAA attorneys have been appointed to the Justice Department.

The timing of the seizure was particularly alarming as it occurred immediately after the entire nation was teeming with rage and opposition against the Stop Online Piracy Act and PROTECT IP Act pending in Congress. The shutdown of Megaupload is a slap in the face to the public, telling us that the desires of special interests trump the desires of the people.

The Massachusetts Pirate Party fully and absolutely condemns the actions of the FBI, ICE and the Department of Justice against Megaupload, and their continued abuses of power in their corporate-backed “War on Piracy”. These wrongful actions by the Department of Justice, as well as the upcoming vote on the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) have demonstrated the need for a counter to the US government’s attack on civil liberties and the immense power and influence of the Hollywood corporate lobby. The Massachusetts Pirate Party is proud to stand alongside other Pirate parties and liberty activists here and abroad to demand these abuses come to an immediate end.


Meeting Minutes

[10:07] == jokeefe [401c5302@gateway/web/freenode/ip.64.28.83.2] has joined #masspirates
[11:50] == SplendidSpoon [~lpespisa@38.111.20.226] has joined #masspirates
[11:50] == AphelionZ [60023edd@gateway/web/freenode/ip.96.2.62.221] has joined #masspirates
[11:50] <AphelionZ> hello!
[11:51] <SplendidSpoon> Hi
[11:51] <AphelionZ> how's everybody been? Sorry i havent been around much but im glad i was able to make this meeting
[11:52] <SplendidSpoon> Pretty good, multitasking at work
[11:52] <SplendidSpoon> So apologies if I can't answer always
[11:53] <AphelionZ> :)
[11:53] <jokeefe> no problem, SplendidSpoon.
[11:53] <jokeefe> hi all!
[11:55] <AphelionZ> hello
[11:58] == brandonj [~brandon@c-24-63-251-14.hsd1.ma.comcast.net] has joined #masspirates
[11:58] == wingedearth [266f244f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.38.111.36.79] has joined #masspirates
[11:58] == laiv [4b9336b9@gateway/web/freenode/ip.75.147.54.185] has joined #masspirates
[11:58] == qkslvrwolf_ [~sabbott@75-144-134-238-NewEngland.hfc.comcastbusiness.net] has joined #masspirates
[11:58] <wingedearth> ok, so mIRC couldn't connect me to "freenode"
[11:58] == wingedearth [266f244f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.38.111.36.79] has quit [Client Quit]
[11:59] <qkslvrwolf_> test
[11:59] <jokeefe> hi folks
[11:59] <laiv> hi
[11:59] <jokeefe> agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=January_24th,_2012_IRC_Meeting
[11:59] == creynolds24 [4c1c626f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.76.28.98.111] has joined #masspirates
[11:59] == wingedearth [~wingedear@38.111.36.79] has joined #masspirates
[12:00] <wingedearth> HHappy meeting
[12:00] <qkslvrwolf_> syn
[12:00] <jokeefe> I'll start with ids.  give as much as you want - jokeefe- James O'Keefe, Somerville
[12:00] <jokeefe> ack
[12:00] <jokeefe> actually syn ack
[12:00] <creynolds24> hello all, i'm here sort of... I'm multitasking atm lol
[12:00] <jokeefe> you aren't the only one
[12:00] <qkslvrwolf_> Sean Abbott, arlington ma.  I am also multitasking as I'm at work.
[12:01] <creynolds24> chris reynolds seabrook nh
[12:01] <brandonj> brandon, Cambridge.  I'm from Occupy Boston
[12:01] <AphelionZ> AphelionZ - Mark Henderson, MA native currently serving as an Americorps VISTA in South Dakota.. multitasking but want to stay informed about the party's actitivities in the hopes of being more involved when I get home
[12:01] <SplendidSpoon> Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro, MA working in Cambridge
[12:01] <jokeefe> cool, welcome!
[12:01] <smant> ohai brandonj
[12:01] <brandonj> hi, smant
[12:01] <wingedearth> Andrew A. Anissi, Boston, MA. live in JP, working downtown
[12:02] <laiv> Chris, Dorchester, Working :(
[12:02] <jokeefe> for those who missed it - agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=January_24th,_2012_IRC_Meeting
[12:02] <jokeefe> Item 1 - March 10th Conference
[12:03] <jokeefe> I put up a draft conference schedule
[12:03] <jokeefe> 3 sessions
[12:03] <jokeefe> food fitted around
[12:03] <jokeefe> movies at night
[12:05] <jokeefe> look ok?
[12:05] <SplendidSpoon> Yes
[12:06] <SplendidSpoon> Maybe we should mention the new Pirate Party book
[12:06] <SplendidSpoon> At the conference...unless Im missing it and it's already there
[12:06] <jokeefe> we should probably sell it
[12:06] <jokeefe> fundraising and all
[12:06] <wingedearth> sales of hardcopy and free downloads, right?
[12:06] <jokeefe> yes
[12:06] <jokeefe> http://nosafeharbor.com/
[12:07] <SplendidSpoon> Yup
[12:08] <jokeefe> what would folks suggest for session topics and do you have any speakers to suggest
[12:08] <wingedearth> ACTA may make SOPA/PIPA unnecessary for the Executive branch to exercise authority
[12:08] <creynolds24> I agree about the no safe harbor books. we should get in contact with the USPP and try to strike up a deal with them
[12:09] <creynolds24> I thought ACTA was dead?
[12:09] <jokeefe> nope, was signed, but ACTA isn't a treaty agreed to by congress so it's status is ambiguous
[12:10] <wingedearth> it's not dead. but lots of secret negotiations going on
[12:10] <creynolds24> ah
[12:10] <qkslvrwolf_> I believe...poland?  Was having an acta protest soon.  Might've been PP poland...
[12:10] <creynolds24> hmmm....
[12:10] <SplendidSpoon> Yes Poland is very against it
[12:10] <qkslvrwolf_> http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCkQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FTechnology%2FwireStory%2Fpolish-websites-dark-protest-acta-15427868&ei=-eUeT_rBIuGQ0gH6gtEH&usg=AFQjCNEhWRp31zxPAkOJjjxS_aTmVuo2lg
[12:10] <qkslvrwolf_> whoops
[12:10] <qkslvrwolf_> fucking google.
[12:10] <SplendidSpoon> Or the Polish people are
[12:10] <qkslvrwolf_> http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/polish-websites-dark-protest-acta-15427868
[12:11] <jokeefe> cool
[12:11] <jokeefe> so do folks want a talk on ACTA?
[12:11] <SplendidSpoon> Sure
[12:11] <wingedearth> I think ACTA is as important a topic as SOPA/PIPA
[12:12] <jokeefe> The past, present and future of censoring the internet?
[12:12] <SplendidSpoon> Indeed
[12:12] <wingedearth> and a related topic is why the level of opposition aimed at SOPA/PIPA wasn't aimed at ACTA for the past couple of years
[12:12] <jokeefe> SOPA/PIPA binding, ACTA only exec agreement, not treaty
[12:13] <jokeefe> I know we raised it, but yes it never got the attention of COICA/PIPA/SOPA/CFSA
[12:14] <jokeefe> topic ideas?
[12:14] <wingedearth> the excuse used by Congress and the Supreme Court for most of the heightened IP laws has been the importance of making US law match the international standards and treaty systems
[12:14] <creynolds24> Acta is worse than SOPA/PIPA in my opinion as if passed it will affect multiple countries. It will be on a more global scale
[12:14] <creynolds24> Although I think we should talk about all 3
[12:14] <wingedearth> for example, that was the Supreme Court's justification for upholding the Sonny Bono Copyright Extension ACt
[12:15] <wingedearth> @creynolds: agreed. all 3
[12:16] <creynolds24> :) these are very crucial issues that I think people should be more informed about
[12:17] <wingedearth> in regard to electronic communications, a good source of crucial issues, and their respective status and background is www.eff.org
[12:17] <creynolds24> nice :0
[12:17] <creynolds24> :)*
[12:18] <jokeefe> Besides, net censorship, what are the other topics folks think we should have as talks?
[12:19] <creynolds24> how about abolishing the DMCA?
[12:19] <wingedearth> for DMCA, I would only abolish certain parts
[12:20] <SplendidSpoon> Whats Pirates official stance on it though
[12:20] == K`Tetch [~no@unaffiliated/ktetch] has joined #masspirates
[12:20] <creynolds24> @wingedearth, which parts would you like to abolish
[12:20] <SplendidSpoon> Because that's what we should talk about if there is one
[12:20] <creynolds24> that too
[12:20] <wingedearth> I would repeal Chapter 12 of Title 17
[12:20] <jokeefe> hi K`Tetch
[12:21] <jokeefe> please id self, you GA pirate you
[12:21] <wingedearth> entitled "Copyright Protection and Management Systems"
[12:21] <jokeefe> :-)
[12:21] <jokeefe> Re rolling back DMCA - see http://torrentfreak.com/its-time-to-go-on-the-offensive-for-freedom-of-speech-120122/
[12:22] <wingedearth> I would maintain DMCA's safe harbor provisions and notice and takedown provisions, though I would re-evaluate notice and takedown to make sure that takedown doesn't occur unless the alleged infringer doesn't respond
[12:22] <K`Tetch> Ok, I was just here to watch, but ok. Andrew Norton, Georgia Pirate Party / UK Pirate PArty (here to observe not participate)
[12:22] <SplendidSpoon> oh
[12:22] <creynolds24> wingedearth, is this concerning the anti-circumvention clause?
[12:22] <wingedearth> Chapter 12 of Title 17 is all the stuff about circumvention
[12:22] <SplendidSpoon> Falkvinge had a nice blog entry today about how monopolies affect 3rd world countries
[12:22] <SplendidSpoon> http://falkvinge.net/2012/01/24/copyright-patent-monopolies-are-immoral-exploitation-of-third-world/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Falkvinge-on-Infopolicy+%28Falkvinge+on+Infopolicy%29
[12:23] <creynolds24> ah, i would like to see that repealed as well
[12:23] <wingedearth> http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sup_01_17_10_12.html
[12:23] <wingedearth> there's Chapter 12
[12:23] <wingedearth> it should all go
[12:23] <creynolds24> I think if someone spends their hard earned money on a piece of hardware/software, they should be able to use it however they want (within reason of course). But locking down software/hardware is just wrong
[12:24] <wingedearth> I set down some specific proposals for IP reform here: http://bit.ly/wVZEg3
[12:24] <creynolds24> thannks
[12:24] <creynolds24> thanks*
[12:24] <jokeefe> Not to be a pedant, but ................ what talks would people like to see?
[12:24] <SplendidSpoon> Maybe stuff about how monopolies affect third world countries. Or maybe a debunking session
[12:25] <SplendidSpoon> Like the myths of copyright
[12:25] <wingedearth> I'd like to see talks regarding proposals for a better IP system, rather than just criticisms of the current system and the bad direction its taking
[12:25] <smant> How the MPAA/RIAA tries to create monopolies through anti-piracy + copyright legislation
[12:25] <wingedearth> I'd also like to see a talk specifically aimed at compulsory licensing for all copyrighted works and patented inventions
[12:26] <jokeefe> we tend to focus on copyright, so the effects of patents on developing countries would be a good topic
[12:26] <SplendidSpoon> Like they can't grow seeds that would be better because of patents and stuff
[12:26] <wingedearth> I think the MPAA/RIAA have been very demonized already. I would move on to promoting the type of reforms that MPAA/RIAA don't want to see.
[12:27] <wingedearth> basically, our law should not allow patent holders to stop others from making or using inventions. it locks up and slows down innovation and competition
[12:27] <wingedearth> the point of patent law is to reward innovation. the reward should be limited to a right to royalties.
[12:28] <wingedearth> and not include the right to stop others from using the invention
[12:28] <wingedearth> same applies to copyright
[12:28] <creynolds24> splendidspoon I like your idea about monopolies affecting third world countries
[12:28] <SplendidSpoon> :)
[12:28] <creynolds24> this is a very big issue
[12:28] <creynolds24> drug patents are a huge part of it
[12:29] <wingedearth> free expression is a fundamental principle of America. therefore, copyright holders should have only a right to attribution and royalty, not the right to stop others from using works
[12:29] <brandonj> Monsanto + seed copyrights is a good thing to talk about
[12:29] <SplendidSpoon> Yea
[12:29] <wingedearth> seed patents
[12:29] <wingedearth> not copyrights
[12:29] <SplendidSpoon> Right
[12:29] <creynolds24> people die in third world countries everyday because they cannot afford the lifesaving medicines they need, due to the massive price gouging by the pharmaceutical monopolies
[12:30] <creynolds24> this would be a great example to use
[12:30] <SplendidSpoon> and how many third world citizens are benefitting from patenting their own stuff? Instead they just suffer without access to things already patenting by first world corporations
[12:30] <K`Tetch> monsanto+seed patents are actually covered in No Safe Harbor (available now at nosafeharbor.com </plug>
[12:30] <SplendidSpoon> cool
[12:31] <wingedearth> with the patent system I'm proposing, no one would be kept from using inventions
[12:31] <wingedearth> the monopoly would be gone
[12:31] <jokeefe> I like the idea of topics promoting a positive vision rather than attacking the problems of what we have
[12:31] <jokeefe> feel free to write it up wingedearth and share it
[12:31] <creynolds24> ya, i'd like to hear it too wingedearth
[12:32] <wingedearth> wells here's the quick summaries of fixes: http://bit.ly/wVZEg3
[12:32] <jokeefe> thanks
[12:32] <wingedearth> but I could provide further explanation of each
[12:32] <jokeefe> lots of good discussion
[12:32] <jokeefe> any suggestions for local speakers to approach?
[12:32] <K`Tetch> wingedearth - I think the problem with the patent system (speaking as someone who's gone through it first hand, and spoken with a few patent lawyers) is primarally the question of what qualifies for patentability, and the ability for public challenge
[12:33] <wingedearth> maybe someone from the Berkman Center at Harvard
[12:33] <K`Tetch> Lessig?
[12:33] <qkslvrwolf_> Yeah, that would be awesome if we could get Lessig.
[12:33] <qkslvrwolf_> Long shot, but worth it.  :-)
[12:34] <wingedearth> K'Tetch, I'm a patent lawyer (and copyright and trademark) myself, and one thing that bugs me about the patent system is how it's so insanely expensive and inaccessible to individuals
[12:34] <K`Tetch> his change congress (or whatever it's called) would be perfect, as would his old creative commons stuff
[12:34] <creynolds24> YES! Lessig
[12:34] <brandonj> Lessig has spoken several times at Occupy Boston, I might be able to contact some people
[12:34] <creynolds24> he's one of my personal hero's
[12:34] <jokeefe> ChrisW might be able to ask him as well
[12:34] <creynolds24> that would be awesome if you could get him to speak
[12:35] <laiv> Little late, but in regards to things like Pharma price gouging, or higher cost of seeds due to monsanto... http://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/osj8f/til_that_google_offers_free_legal_download_of/
[12:35] <wingedearth> here's another suggestions for a speaker: http://scrawford.net/4-2/
[12:35] <qkslvrwolf_> We'd be more likely to get lessig right now if we could link our pet intellectual privilege issues to his pet money in politics/corporate citizenship issues.
[12:35] <SplendidSpoon> well
[12:35] <SplendidSpoon> we are a third party
[12:35] <jokeefe> I will email Jared Ball today as well, and will ask one of the opengov folks
[12:35] <qkslvrwolf_> which is easy, naturally.  :-)
[12:35] <SplendidSpoon> lol
[12:35] <jokeefe> or muckrock
[12:36] <SplendidSpoon> o muckrock is cool
[12:36] <qkslvrwolf_> But that's how I'd approach it.  Incidentally, one of the rights of citizens that I don't think corporations should be able to hold is the right to Intellectual Privileges.
[12:36] <wingedearth> intellectual privileges? you mean ownership of IP rights?
[12:37] <qkslvrwolf_> yup
[12:37] <qkslvrwolf_> although, thinking that through, there's some difficulty there
[12:37] <wingedearth> that's a matter of freedom of contract
[12:37] <qkslvrwolf_> I don't like the idea of ideas as "property"
[12:37] <SplendidSpoon> ^
[12:37] <wingedearth> it's good that businesses have an incentive to fund and promote research and innovation, but I think royalties should be enough incentive
[12:37] <wingedearth> without the right to stop others
[12:37] <qkslvrwolf_> So I can IP privileges.
[12:38] <SplendidSpoon> Maybe we could talk about the Missionary church of the Kopimistas
[12:38] <SplendidSpoon> haha
[12:38] <SplendidSpoon> Copy + Seed is sacred
[12:38] <SplendidSpoon> + Remix
[12:38] <qkslvrwolf_> :-)
[12:38] <jokeefe> Susan Crawford looks interesting, does anyone have the ability to contact her besides out of the blue?
[12:38] <SplendidSpoon> I wish I knew a Kopimist preacher to invite
[12:39] <wingedearth> the classical IP system is based on creating incentive for the promotion of arts and sciences. see US Constitution, Article 1, Section 8
[12:39] <qkslvrwolf_> 'fraid we disagree.  What matters is execution, not idea.  If we pay royalties to people who "had the idea", but who couldn't execute, we're still supporting IP trolls
[12:39] <wingedearth> I actually have the ability to contact Susan Crawford
[12:39] <wingedearth> though she's based in NYC now
[12:39] <qkslvrwolf_> The ONLY thing that matters is ability to make it work in the market.
[12:39] <qkslvrwolf_> I know
[12:39] == qkslvrwolf_ [~sabbott@75-144-134-238-NewEngland.hfc.comcastbusiness.net]
[12:39] ==  realname : Sean Abbott
[12:39] ==  channels : #masspirates
[12:39] ==  server   : niven.freenode.net [Corvallis, OR, USA]
[12:39] == End of WHOIS
[12:39] <wingedearth> not sure if she'll come to a Boston conference without some major players involved
[12:40] <wingedearth> but maybe
[12:40] <qkslvrwolf_> I think there is good evidence that neither monopolies nor royalties are necessary to promote arts and sciences in the information age.
[12:40] <wingedearth> if Harvard is involved she would
[12:40] <jokeefe> SplendidSpoon, how difficult is it to be a Kopimist preacher?
[12:40] <creynolds24> http://freeculturesenator.blogspot.com/
[12:40] <SplendidSpoon> I dunno
[12:41] <jokeefe> We are a political party, so Harvard won't be involved, though indivs can be there
[12:41] <SplendidSpoon> Probably not that hard but a lot of the source material is Swedish
[12:41] <creynolds24> what about this write in candidate from 2010's special election for senator of mass /\
[12:41] <creynolds24> if you can track him down...
[12:41] <wingedearth> qkslvrwofl, I disagree. blogs and publications, for example, need some sort of IP protection to stay in business. also I think attribution is important
[12:41] <jokeefe> would rather have our own candidates speak
[12:41] <creynolds24> it looks like his site hasn't been updated since 2010
[12:42] <creynolds24> okay, well I was thinking, maybe if he runs again, we could convince him to run under our party
[12:42] <wingedearth> without IP protection, if I write a book, random house can copy it and sell it and credit it to some other author
[12:42] <creynolds24> he was an independent i believe
[12:42] <creynolds24> in 2010
[12:42] <SplendidSpoon> Yea lets get a candidate!
[12:42] <SplendidSpoon> w00t
[12:43] <qkslvrwolf_> Blogs and publicans that use creative commons seem to be doing quite well, actually.  And there are vast differences between patent and copyright anyway, another issue with lumping them togther.
[12:43] <jokeefe> you all should run for state rep, only 150 signatures
[12:43] <wingedearth> ip laws, written the right way, protect artists and inventors. written the wrong way, they protect large companies mostly
[12:43] <qkslvrwolf_> Also, in the world of blogs and publicans, first to the fight is very important.
[12:44] <qkslvrwolf_> So why not copyright that last 2 years, instead of lifetime + whatever?
[12:44] <brandonj> iirc copyright originally lasted 12 years with a possible 12 year extension
[12:44] <wingedearth> 2 years isn't much, especially for an artist struggling to promote his work
[12:44] <wingedearth> I'd do 14 years, with an option to renew for 14
[12:44] <wingedearth> just like the law was written originally
[12:44] <qkslvrwolf_> It is incumbant on the person trying to sell something, even if it it is ideas, to figure out how to monetize in the world they live in.
[12:44] <SplendidSpoon> ^
[12:44] <qkslvrwolf_> {shrug}
[12:44] <SplendidSpoon> this
[12:45] <jokeefe> <Next Topic> - what equipment do we need and where can we get it donated
[12:45] <qkslvrwolf_> that'd be a gigantic improvement over what we have now, so ok.  But only for copyright.
[12:45] <creynolds24> to follow up on the candidate I mentioned, i suggest you check out his page above, because he's right up our alley
[12:45] <jokeefe> 1 or more video projectors, wifi & net access would be good
[12:45] <qkslvrwolf_> But the original was created when physical publishing was a gigantic constraint on getting your works out there
[12:45] <jokeefe> breakfast
[12:45] <creynolds24> that's why I suggested him
[12:45] <qkslvrwolf_> The internet is a very, very different world.
[12:46] <qkslvrwolf_> It is also MUCH easier to prove original authorship with the internet
[12:46] <wingedearth> patent is 20 years. I'd keep that. let's continue have funding going into research, and rewarding the research companies with royalties. but let others freely use the invention by paying the royalties off of their sales
[12:46] <qkslvrwolf_> Oh, hell no.
[12:46] <SplendidSpoon> um
[12:46] <jokeefe> no patents
[12:46] <SplendidSpoon> thats not very piratey
[12:46] <wingedearth> no patents at all?
[12:46] <jokeefe> it's our position
[12:46] <qkslvrwolf_> Again, royalties = IP troll.
[12:46] <jokeefe> yes
[12:46] <SplendidSpoon> right
[12:46] <qkslvrwolf_> I dont' care about incentive to have ideas.
[12:47] <SplendidSpoon> we have a position
[12:47] <wingedearth> without the right to stop others, you'd cut the balls off IP trolls
[12:47] <qkslvrwolf_> I care about incentive to create real solutions in the market.
[12:47] <qkslvrwolf_> no you wouldn't
[12:47] <qkslvrwolf_> they care about money
[12:47] <qkslvrwolf_> they WANT other people to be successful with their patents
[12:47] <qkslvrwolf_> free money for them
[12:47] <wingedearth> also, IP infringement damages should be limited to actual damages, which would be royalties to be collected. with that, you'd eliminate trolls
[12:47] <qkslvrwolf_> that will just lead to them patenting infinite shit just like they do now
[12:47] <qkslvrwolf_> so that get as much free money as possible
[12:47] <qkslvrwolf_> IDEAS DON'T MATTER
[12:47] <qkslvrwolf_> execution matters.
[12:48] <qkslvrwolf_> Google would've failed miserably if it took them 30 minutes to return a result.
[12:48] <jokeefe> you cannot patent or copyright ideas, only expression or process
[12:48] <qkslvrwolf_> You want them to get paid because someone take pagerank and implements it in 3 seconds when they couldn't be arsed?
[12:48] <creynolds24> good point jaime
[12:48] <wingedearth> what you're proposing would make large, rich companies be able to use the hard work of inventors without compensating them
[12:48] <qkslvrwolf_> that's crazy.
[12:48] <SplendidSpoon> ^
[12:48] <jokeefe> he who has the best lawyer wins
[12:48] <qkslvrwolf_> Not if we say companies can't own patents.  :-)
[12:49] <creynolds24> because everyting is a derivative work based off an idea somebody had before
[12:49] <creynolds24> nothing is really 100% original anymore
[12:49] <qkslvrwolf_> True
[12:49] <wingedearth> derivative work is a copyright term
[12:49] <qkslvrwolf_> but not exclusively a copyright concept.
[12:49] <jokeefe> everything builds on something else
[12:49] <creynolds24> we wouldn't be where we are now if it wasn't for previous ideas
[12:49] <wingedearth> however, would be good to eliminate software and business method patents
[12:49] <wingedearth> those are crap
[12:49] <jokeefe> agreed
[12:50] <qkslvrwolf_> agreed. :-)
[12:50] <creynolds24> exactly, that's what I was trying to portray
[12:50] <qkslvrwolf_> genetic, too.
[12:50] <creynolds24> I agree too, down with EULA's lol
[12:50] <jokeefe> so, who has a video projector?
[12:50] <SplendidSpoon> ^
[12:50] <SplendidSpoon> Notme
[12:50] <jokeefe> or can provide a wifi hot spot?
[12:51] <SplendidSpoon> ...
[12:51] <jokeefe> though maybe it would be a problem if we get a 100 people with laptops
[12:51] <SplendidSpoon> No wifi provided in the building?
[12:51] <jokeefe> will check when I do the walk through
[12:52] <brandonj> what venue is this?
[12:52] <jokeefe> Democracy Center in Harvard Sq.
[12:53] <brandonj> if they don't provide you with wi-fi you should seriously consider another venue
[12:53] <qkslvrwolf_> ooo...I've been there for dances
[12:53] <qkslvrwolf_> I'll be surprised if they've got wifi
[12:54] <jokeefe> we have looked at a bunch of places and this was the biggest for $.
[12:54] <qkslvrwolf_> I'd just ask for internet and see if someone can let you borrow a wifi router/buy a cheap 11g device.
[12:54] <qkslvrwolf_> all they really need is a wired connection you can plug the router into.
[12:54] <jokeefe> I am :-)
[12:55] <wingedearth> @creynolds: patents require novelty and non-obviousness. if something's not novel or is obvious, you can challenge it's patent
[12:55] <brandonj> qkslvrwolf_: +1
[12:55] <jokeefe> I'll ask
[12:56] <jokeefe> perhaps we can give them the wifi when we are done.
[12:56] <creynolds24> sorry to cut it short everyone, but I gotta go
[12:56] <creynolds24> have a good day
[12:56] <jokeefe> take care, thanks for stopping by
[12:56] <wingedearth> whatever happened to free city-wide wifi
[12:56] <jokeefe> it cuts into the cable companies profits
[12:56] <wingedearth> lots of cities proposed it. the politicians must have been bribed by ISPs
[12:56] == creynolds24 [4c1c626f@gateway/web/freenode/ip.76.28.98.111] has left #masspirates []
[12:56] <jokeefe> ok,, so I will make a list and put out a call and see what turns up
[12:56] <qkslvrwolf_> Free market ISPs got pissy about competing with socialistic city wifi.  You know?  Government can't do anything right, but save me from competing with government because I can't match the costs?
[12:57] <wingedearth> that's why masspirates and occupy need their own candidates, hopefully people loyal to the public
[12:57] <jokeefe> aye!
[12:57] <jokeefe> <Next> - megaupload statement
[12:57] <jokeefe> Fl pirates have - http://fl.pirate.is/?p=201
[12:57] <jokeefe> adopt?
[12:58] <jokeefe> modify?
[12:58] <jokeefe> reformat?
[12:58] <SplendidSpoon> We should definetly make a statement
[12:58] <SplendidSpoon> and I like theirs
[12:59] <SplendidSpoon> So I guess adopt unless anyone else has issue with it
[12:59] <wingedearth> I don't think the DOJ needs to be lobbied. Obama appointed an RIAA lawyer as head of the DOJ
[12:59] <qkslvrwolf_> {shudder}
[12:59] <qkslvrwolf_> {sigh}
[13:00] <qkslvrwolf_> {sob}
[13:00] <wingedearth> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/04/obama-taps-fift/
[13:00] <SplendidSpoon> Well we should release a statement definetly because that's what parties do
[13:00] <wingedearth> 5 RIAA lawyers
[13:00] <SplendidSpoon> and this is our issue
[13:01] <wingedearth> I would take out the rhetoric about lobbying, or maybe rephrase it to "pressure" from the entertainment industry
[13:01] <SplendidSpoon> um
[13:01] <wingedearth> the DOJ itself wasn't lobbied. is was Congress and the President that were lobbied
[13:01] <SplendidSpoon> Isn't there some chart showing all the money that the entertainment industry spends....
[13:01] <SplendidSpoon> which is lobbying right?
[13:02] <jokeefe> it was the RIAA that got the DOJ to take down dajaz1.com
[13:02] <wingedearth> yeah, but the statement seems to indicate "lobbying" money going to unelected officials, when in reality it went to Congress and the President.
[13:02] <SplendidSpoon> oh I see
[13:02] <jokeefe> perhaps influenced?
[13:02] <wingedearth> I'm just saying, taken literally it's a bit inaccurate
[13:02] <qkslvrwolf_> How does the RIAA influence the DOJ?  Is it just because they're all the same people now?
[13:02] <qkslvrwolf_> Or do they get congress to call the DOJ?
[13:03] <wingedearth> influence and pressure. they influence the DOJ by lobbying the President to put RIAA lawyers in charge of the DOJ, and they lobby Congress to approve
[13:03] <jokeefe> they gave a list of sites they wanted DHS to take down and a DHS flunky did the leg work
[13:04] <wingedearth> at this point, RIAA/MPAA can probably get DOJ attorneys fired and replaced if they don't do their bidding
[13:05] <jokeefe> Operation In Our Sites - http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/12/ice-admits-months-long-seizure-of-music-blog-was-a-mistake.ars
[13:05] <wingedearth> and let's not forget, RIAA/MPAA are owned by larger, more powerful industries with a lot more muscle than Hollywood dollars
[13:05] <jokeefe> anyone up to rewrite the FLPP statement today?
[13:06] <wingedearth> possibly
[13:06] <jokeefe> here is the PPInt's statement - http://www.pp-international.net/node/515
[13:07] <SplendidSpoon> I like this one too
[13:07] <wingedearth> gimme like 5 min
[13:07] <jokeefe> k
[13:09] <qkslvrwolf_> oh, btw
[13:09] <qkslvrwolf_> SOTU tonight in union square...
[13:09] <qkslvrwolf_> ummmm
[13:10] <wingedearth> I also want to highlight that Megaupload is a useful site for file storage, and not label it a "file-sharing" site, which brings to mind Kazaa and Limewire
[13:10] <qkslvrwolf_> http://www.somervillevoices.org/2012/01/22/events/state-of-the-union-watch-party-on-tuesday-night-at-precinct-in-union-square
[13:10] <SplendidSpoon> But we are pro file-sharing
[13:11] <SplendidSpoon> and it was used for that
[13:11] <jokeefe> agreed
[13:12] <jokeefe> thanks for the link qkslvrwolf, have school meeting to be at.
[13:12] <qkslvrwolf_> I agree with winged.
[13:12] <qkslvrwolf_> We are pro file-sharing
[13:12] <qkslvrwolf_> But he's right that it'll link to kazaa and limewire
[13:12] <qkslvrwolf_> therefore people won't really understand the full magnitude of what this is.
[13:13] <qkslvrwolf_> Because they'll just think music.
[13:13] <SplendidSpoon> Whats wrong with linking to kazaa and limewire
[13:13] <SplendidSpoon> oh I see
[13:13] <[bsod]> oh is it time for another meeting
[13:13] <SplendidSpoon> Yes it was more than that
[13:14] <SplendidSpoon> I just don't think we should shy away from it for other reasons
[13:14] <[bsod]> hey K`Tetch long time no see
[13:14] <qkslvrwolf_> mental link.  They won't understand it was a generic service.  They'll just think it was a content sharing service.
[13:14] <brandonj> I think the objective should be to educate the public about what file sharing is, not play with language to associate megaupload with what you want
[13:14] <SplendidSpoon> ^
[13:14] <SplendidSpoon> Yes
[13:14] <SplendidSpoon> We are pro file sharing
[13:14] <brandonj> MegaUpload was a file sharing site.  Don't be afraid to call it that.
[13:15] <SplendidSpoon> so even if it was kazaa or somethng, we support that
[13:15] <[bsod]> a cyber locker
[13:15] <SplendidSpoon> we cant be afraid of our own brand
[13:15] <SplendidSpoon> lol
[13:15] <jokeefe> agreed
[13:15] <jokeefe> brandonj, while we wait, want to give an update on StopSOPA related (or not) Occupy stuff?
[13:15] <brandonj> jokeefe: sure
[13:15] <[bsod]> i take it you guys saw this already http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6981856
[13:16] <qkslvrwolf_> fair points, all.
[13:16] <SplendidSpoon> Yes
[13:16] <brandonj> there's not much to say about OB's StopSOPA group since I last communicated with jokeefe.  We haven't met since last time (which SplendidSpoon was at)
[13:16] <SplendidSpoon> Ah
[13:17] <brandonj> the big idea that was floated was to organize a teach-in
[13:17] <brandonj> to educate people on sopa/pipa/acta
[13:17] <brandonj> Since most people don't know too much about it
[13:17] <SplendidSpoon> Which is a lot like what we are doing with our conference
[13:17] <SplendidSpoon> except more specific
[13:17] <[bsod]> educate people about censorship
[13:17] <[bsod]> that's what it's all about
[13:18] <brandonj> We were very interested in collaborating with the PP on that teach-in too
[13:18] <jokeefe> brandonj, might have some of the time being about how to talk with people about these issues, then get people to hold house parties or other events through out the state
[13:18] <jokeefe> would love to help
[13:18] <jokeefe> will help
[13:18] <brandonj> Unfortunately I'm busy with a lot of OB projects and can't take the lead on organizing that teach-in now, and nobody else has really stepped up, so I'm unsure of it's status
[13:18] <[bsod]> whats ob
[13:18] <jokeefe> occupy boston
[13:18] <SplendidSpoon> Occupy Boston
[13:18] <[bsod]> ah
[13:19] <[bsod]> they're comming after your hashtag
[13:19] <brandonj> its*
[13:19] <SplendidSpoon> lol
[13:19] <SplendidSpoon> yup
[13:19] <jokeefe> how soon were you thinking about doing the teach in?
[13:19] <smant> lulz0rz
[13:19] <SplendidSpoon> Also, problem is momentum with SOPA/PIPA
[13:19] <SplendidSpoon> Because the internet put up epic fight
[13:19] <brandonj> SplendidSpoon: right, the momentum is a problem
[13:20] <smant> jokeefe we'd originally planned to do a teech-in before the SOPA markup in the House
[13:20] <SplendidSpoon> People think they won
[13:20] <brandonj> jokeefe: the original plan was Feb. 4, but that probably can't happen at this point.
[13:20] <[bsod]> i think even wydens open anti-piracy act is a threat
[13:20] <SplendidSpoon> Me too bsod
[13:20] <jokeefe> +1
[13:20] <[bsod]> it seems less extreme after sopa but maybe that was the point of sopa, to pull the arguement so far
[13:20] <SplendidSpoon> No lesser of 2 evils bs
[13:20] <SplendidSpoon> EXACTLY OMG
[13:21] <SplendidSpoon> We need to reverse everything
[13:21] <SplendidSpoon> No more anti-piracy stuff
[13:21] <smant> I wouldn't be opposed to setting up a "Internet freedom, social movements, and the economy" teach in, I've been busy with other unexpected things this past week though
[13:21] <brandonj> I've heard rumors that they've introduced a new bill called "Stop Online Child Pornography" or something
[13:21] <[bsod]> heh, the kopimists come out
[13:21] <smant> brandonj: That's ACTA, USA
[13:21] <[bsod]> hr 1981 i think
[13:21] <[bsod]> http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/snooping_bill/?akid=787.296529.dcYQfI&rd=1&t=1
[13:21] <SplendidSpoon> You a kopimist bsod?
[13:22] <SplendidSpoon> Yes of course they will play the child porn card
[13:22] <smant> But they still haven't enforced anything from OpDarkNet yet so they have 3000 pedos who they're not arresting
[13:22] <SplendidSpoon> ^
[13:22] <SplendidSpoon> this
[13:22] <[bsod]> well, im not sure if i see it as religious for me
[13:22] <[bsod]> lol
[13:22] <brandonj> so, the problem is finding somebody who can organize the teach-in
[13:22] <SplendidSpoon> I was suggesting we get a kopimist preacher
[13:22] <[bsod]> but ive been around pirtbyran for awhile now
[13:22] <SplendidSpoon> but I dont know any
[13:23] <[bsod]> isak gerson says they're called ops
[13:23] <[bsod]> an irc referance
[13:23] <SplendidSpoon> ops
[13:23] <SplendidSpoon> nice
[13:23] <[bsod]> heh
[13:24] <[bsod]> did i just kill the meeting
[13:24] <jokeefe> I like the idea of broadening the teach-in.  I can work on it.
[13:24] <jokeefe> would like help in getting a venue
[13:24] <SplendidSpoon> Why dont we just combine
[13:24] <brandonj> jokeefe: it's possible to use e5
[13:24] <SplendidSpoon> well
[13:24] <SplendidSpoon> nvm
[13:24] <brandonj> jokeefe: OB does a lot of things there
[13:24] <jokeefe> good
[13:25] <[bsod]> we could get better out door spots if it was summer
[13:25] <SplendidSpoon> Pirate Party doesn't own that
[13:25] <brandonj> SplendidSpoon: doesn't own what?
[13:25] <SplendidSpoon> Anti sopa stuff
[13:25] <SplendidSpoon> I was gonna say just teach in at our conference
[13:25] <SplendidSpoon> But yea, we dont own that
[13:26] <jokeefe> the more the merrier
[13:26] <SplendidSpoon> Yea thats what I was thinking
[13:26] <brandonj> alternatively one of the Churches OB has been frequently will likely be a good venue choice
[13:26] <brandonj> Arlington St. Church in particular
[13:26] <brandonj> or Emmanuel Church
[13:27] <[bsod]> i melt if i step into a church, also garelic is bad
[13:27] <brandonj> I'm also very anti-church
[13:27] <jokeefe> maybe have the teach-in in feb, but say there is more on these issues at the conference
[13:27] <[bsod]> lol
[13:27] <brandonj> but it's a whole lot cheaper
[13:27] <[bsod]> indeed
[13:27] <[bsod]> boston is not a cheap town
[13:27] <jokeefe> tis true!
[13:28] <SplendidSpoon> Pirates should make presence at teach in
[13:28] <brandonj> and OB has standing relationships with these churches already
[13:28] <SplendidSpoon> Be all like "If you like this, than you'll LOVE this...."
[13:28] <jokeefe> aye
[13:28] <brandonj> SplendidSpoon: I'd be a little wary of overtly point people at OB towards a political party
[13:28] <SplendidSpoon> Yea
[13:29] <jokeefe> true
[13:29] <SplendidSpoon> But it's kind of hard not to mention Pirate Party with these issues
[13:29] <[bsod]> did anyone notice its hot out today
[13:29] <brandonj> something I certainly don't want to do is make it seem like OB as a whole or even just a working group of OB is endorsing a party
[13:29] <[bsod]> that is true
[13:29] <SplendidSpoon> I wouldn't actually do the "if you like this..." though :D
[13:29] <brandonj> but I certainly think the PP should speak
[13:29] <SplendidSpoon> Nah the PP endorsed Occupy Boston
[13:29] <[bsod]> michael moore is always trying to steer occupy people to the dems
[13:29] <[bsod]> i hate that
[13:30] <SplendidSpoon> It was other way around
[13:30] <jokeefe> for more info ...
[13:30] <SplendidSpoon> I mean personally, I think if you all want to get into a third party, Pirates would best support your interests (as occupy)
[13:30] <[bsod]> pirates best represent the youth
[13:30] <jokeefe> wingedearth, how goes the statement?
[13:31] <SplendidSpoon> But yea we aren't big enough to coopt
[13:31] <brandonj> SplendidSpoon: I wouldn't advise approaching that subject at an OB event
[13:31] <jokeefe> hear hear
[13:31] <brandonj> It's be a shitstorm.  Excuse my French.
[13:31] <brandonj> It'd
[13:31] <jokeefe> we support only
[13:31] <SplendidSpoon> Yea
[13:31] <SplendidSpoon> it's other way around
[13:31] <jokeefe> diversity of tactics and all
[13:31] <[bsod]> no saying shitstorm, we're all pro-censorship people
[13:31] <brandonj> [bsod]: ;)
[13:31] <qkslvrwolf_> I was gonna say, just doing a "we're from the pirate party" should be sufficient, yeah?
[13:32] <SplendidSpoon> Yea we should make a presence
[13:32] <brandonj> qkslvrwolf_: yeah I think that's fine
[13:32] <qkslvrwolf_> If they have a problem even stating an affiliation of a speaker, then I think that's silly.
[13:32] <SplendidSpoon> ^ right
[13:32] <brandonj> I just don't want people to think it's a recruiting event for the PP
[13:32] <qkslvrwolf_> Right.
[13:33] <brandonj> which I know is not what our intent is.
[13:33] <qkslvrwolf_> So Tell 'em who you are, tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em, tell 'em, remind them who you are.
[13:33] <SplendidSpoon> lol
[13:33] <[bsod]> i think different politicians have spoken at different occupy events havent they
[13:33] <brandonj> I'd also like to get the FSF invovled
[13:33] <qkslvrwolf_> If they like what you had to say, the rest will sort itself out.
[13:34] <jokeefe> I can ping them.
[13:34] <jokeefe> or give you the contact info
[13:34] <brandonj> if groups other than the PP are involved it seems less problematic
[13:34] <brandonj> jokeefe: feel free to ping them if you don't mind
[13:34] <[bsod]> are there many local groups?
[13:34] <SplendidSpoon> ok I gotta go guys
[13:34] <brandonj> RMS himself has supported FSF quite strongly
[13:34] == laiv [4b9336b9@gateway/web/freenode/ip.75.147.54.185] has quit [Ping timeout: 264 seconds]
[13:34] <brandonj> er
[13:35] <brandonj> supported OB
[13:35] <jokeefe> thanks!
[13:35] <brandonj> bye, SplendidSpoon
[13:35] <SplendidSpoon> have a good one :)
[13:35] <jokeefe> SplendidSpoon
[13:35] == SplendidSpoon [~lpespisa@38.111.20.226] has quit [Quit: All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain]
[13:35] <wingedearth> still there?
[13:35] <jokeefe> yes
[13:35] <wingedearth> I have a draft of this pirate statement
[13:35] <jokeefe> k
[13:35] <[bsod]> what's a pirate statement
[13:36] <jokeefe> brandonj, I will contact him
[13:36] <wingedearth> a statement regarding megaupload
[13:36] <jokeefe> RMS that is
[13:36] <[bsod]> can i pirate the pirate statement?
[13:36] <jokeefe> cool
[13:36] <brandonj> thanks, jokeefe
[13:36] <wingedearth> do you have an email address I could send to?
[13:36] <[bsod]> ukrgdjklzb@yahoo.com
[13:36] <jokeefe> info@masspirates.org
[13:36] <[bsod]> gonna make it creative commons or something ?
[13:37] <jokeefe> better, public domain
[13:37] <[bsod]> cool
[13:37] <[bsod]> ill pirate that then
[13:37] <brandonj> if it's public domain that would hardly be piracy ;)
[13:37] <[bsod]> piracy is just copying
[13:38] <wingedearth> sent
[13:38] <[bsod]> and also something to do with boats
[13:38] <wingedearth> copying boats?
[13:38] <[bsod]> lol
[13:38] <wingedearth> commandeering music
[13:38] <[bsod]> would it be theft if i copied your boat and you kept your copy
[13:39] <brandonj> I don't think "piracy = copying" is a useful definition of the word
[13:39] <brandonj> brb, gotta pirate some files to my flash drive
[13:39] <[bsod]> arg
[13:39] <wingedearth> so what did I miss in here?
[13:40] <[bsod]> they talked about finding a venue for a sopa teach-in
[13:40] <jokeefe> I put the statement up at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=January_24th,_2012_IRC_Meeting#Summary  search for Megaupload statement DRAFT
[13:41] <jokeefe> what do folks think?
[13:41] <wingedearth> maybe pirates should get a ship and do some file sharing in international waters, yarr
[13:41] <[bsod]> i like focusing on how much money these unjust raids are costing megaupload
[13:42] <wingedearth> bsod, did you want a copy of the statement?
[13:42] <[bsod]> in international waters you are bound by the laws of the country which flag you carry
[13:42] <brandonj> I would change it to "store and share files"
[13:42] <[bsod]> i was just going to steal it off the masspirates site
[13:42] <wingedearth> what if we carry a pirate flag?
[13:42] <[bsod]> heh, have the boat registered in piratlandia
[13:43] <jokeefe> no upcoming vote for SOPA/PIPA, IIRC
[13:43] <wingedearth> pirates need to gain citizenship at Sealand in the English Channel
[13:43] <[bsod]> sealand wasn't really helping people, they thought about it
[13:43] <brandonj> "It was like a slap in the face" -> "It is a slap in the face"
[13:43] <[bsod]> whats a christiania flag look like
[13:43] <wingedearth> brandon, do you have a copy of the draft?
[13:44] <brandonj> wingedearth: I have the one that jokeefe put on the wiki
[13:44] <wingedearth> oh, it's already up?
[13:44] <[bsod]> yea
[13:44] <wingedearth> I just sent it like a min ago
[13:44] <[bsod]> http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=January_24th,_2012_IRC_Meeting#Summary
[13:44] <jokeefe> i put up the one I received
[13:45] <wingedearth> I wanted to highlight the UMG / Youtube thing as well, to give a context for the forces at play and what dirty tricks they pull
[13:45] <brandonj> I suppose better would be "the shutdown of megaupload is a slap in the face..."
[13:46] <wingedearth> a general metaphor instead of a simile
[13:47] <jokeefe> <brandonj> I would change it to "store and share files"  - what would you change?
[13:47] <wingedearth> don't need to immediately draw attention to share
[13:48] <[bsod]> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/22/2115214/megaupload-drops-lawsuit-against-universal-music
[13:48] <brandonj> 2nd Paragraph: "...allowing users to store, and share, their files in an online locker."
[13:48] <wingedearth> I wanted to compare it to cloud computing, which is standard and widely used, like Apple's iCloud
[13:49] <[bsod]> it is cloud computing isnt it
[13:49] <brandonj> you guys ever use etherpad for this kind of document editing?
[13:49] <wingedearth> nope
[13:49] <[bsod]> telecomix uses those alot
[13:49] <brandonj> it's very useful
[13:49] <jokeefe> "allowing users to store and share their files online in a file storage locker" balances both points
[13:49] <jokeefe> i think
[13:50] <wingedearth> kk
[13:50] <[bsod]> its a wiki isnt it
[13:50] <brandonj> there's an instance you can use here: https://pad.riseup.net/
[13:50] <brandonj> [bsod]: not quite
[13:50] <[bsod]> no not the pad, i mean the text they're discussing
[13:50] <wingedearth> that works, I suppose. either way, it tells the reader that it's a useful technological solution
[13:50] <brandonj> oh, yes
[13:50] <jokeefe> I think I got all the suggested mods, look ok?
[13:51] <wingedearth> I'll refresh it
[13:52] <[bsod]> ill wait til you guys are done with edits before i take my copy
[13:52] <wingedearth> any more suggestions coming in?
[13:52] <[bsod]> i got nothing
[13:52] <[bsod]> oh, can i put an earmark about firearms
[13:52] <[bsod]> just kiddin
[13:53] <[bsod]> "In addition to being a violation of national sovereignty"
[13:53] <[bsod]> we do that alot lately dont we
[13:53] <wingedearth> how about a rider requiring that we subsidize corn production from major agribusiness
[13:53] <[bsod]> people need better extradition treaties
[13:54] <[bsod]> yea, keep subsudizing corn
[13:54] <wingedearth> those stupid subsidies are why soda has high fructose corn syrup instead of real sugar
[13:54] <[bsod]> i know
[13:54] <wingedearth> those stupid subsidies are why soda has high fructose corn syrup instead of real sugar
[13:54] <[bsod]> i know
[13:54] <wingedearth> I hate that
[13:54] <[bsod]> they talked about taxing soda to get poor fat people off of it
[13:55] <jokeefe> does the statement look ok?
[13:55] <[bsod]> yes
[13:55] <jokeefe> well done, BTW, wingedearth, thanks!
[13:55] <wingedearth> no prob
[13:55] <[bsod]> make sure the editor gets a glimpse at it for grammar errors
[13:56] <wingedearth> FYI: I consider the statement to be a derivative work based off of my original, to which I reserve all rights, and consider all copies thereof, including ones already posted, to be willful infringements, entitling me to statutory damages of $150,000 per copy.
[13:56] <wingedearth> ;)
[13:57] <[bsod]> where is the perm link going to be published?
[13:57] <[bsod]> thats ok, liability of the fine goes to masspirates, i got it for them under the public domain
[13:57] <[bsod]> from them*
[13:58] <wingedearth> can we make thousands of paper copies and have an airplane dump them over the city?
[13:58] <[bsod]> litering $100 fine
[13:58] <jokeefe> masspirates.org/blog
[13:58] <brandonj> that's not very environmentally friendly
[13:58] <wingedearth> didn't we do something like that in Iraq?
[13:58] <brandonj> *we* didn't
[13:59] <brandonj> but that's a common tactic for the US government to use
[13:59] <wingedearth> "we" meaning the beneficiaries of our tax money
[13:59] <jokeefe> since I don't see any objections, I am going to remove the DRAFT part
[13:59] <wingedearth> kk
[14:00] <[bsod]> is this a secret link http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=January_24th,_2012_IRC_Meeting#Summary
[14:00] <[bsod]> or can i refer to that for attribution ?
[14:00] <jokeefe> no not secret
[14:02] <wingedearth> can we get the Patriots to wear copies of the megaupload statement on their jersies during the Superbowl?
[14:03] <qkslvrwolf_> {mutter mutter NFL crazy privilege trolls mutter mutter}
[14:03] <[bsod]> so it would look something like this if i steal it http://activepolitic.com:82/News/2012-01-24b/Massachusetts_Pirate_Party_Statement_on_Megaupload.html
[14:03] <qkslvrwolf_> Dear NFL, may I show your games to my friends in my own house when they happen to be visiting?
[14:03] <qkslvrwolf_> NFL:  No you may not.
[14:03] <qkslvrwolf_> </offtopic>
[14:03] <jokeefe> well it should point to the blog
[14:04] <[bsod]> ya, lemme know when thats up and ill fix the link
[14:05] <[bsod]> i just got an email from jim mcgovern, says hes against sopa
[14:06] <jokeefe> good, think he tweeted about that last week

{My session disconnected}

[14:10] == jokeefe_ [401c5302@gateway/web/freenode/ip.64.28.83.2] has joined #masspirates
[14:10] <[bsod]> wb
[14:10] <jokeefe_> http://www.masspirates.org/blog/2012/01/24/mass-pirate-party-condemns-shutdown-of-megaupload/
[14:10] <[bsod]> cool
[14:10] == jokeefe [401c5302@gateway/web/freenode/ip.64.28.83.2] has quit [Ping timeout: 264 seconds]
[14:10] <jokeefe_> sorry, session went away, lost the last four minutes
[14:11] <[bsod]> same text and all?
[14:11] <jokeefe_> shut down became shutdown
[14:11] <[bsod]> right
[14:12] <[bsod]> k, my copy should be updated
[14:13] <jokeefe_> thanks everyone!  
[14:13] <jokeefe_> I'll post the minutes on the wiki post
[14:13] <wingedearth> ^5
[14:13] <jokeefe_> I have get back to giving my undivided attention elsewhere, though I'll stick around here and poke in occasionally.