January 29th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions

  1. Cryptoparties
    1. Feb. 4th, Cambridge
    2. Feb. 14th, WMass & dinner afterward
  2. PirateCon 2015
    1. Site Update
    2. Program
      1. FOIA - Steve
      2. Open Gov. - Jamie
      3. Net neutrality - ?
      4. Income inequality - Steve
      5. Pirate Strategy - ?
      6. Building 3rd party coalitions - Noe
      7. Running campaigns - Noe
      8. Lightning talks - ?
  3. Budget
  4. State Reorg - Review
    1. Currently the Pirate Council is made up of the Captain, First Officer, Quartermaster, and 3 others.
    2. Perhaps we should define roles for the 3 other Pirate Council members and expand their number: PR/Media, Activism, Swarmcare and Web/Info.
  5. Establishing Regions?
    1. Swarmwise suggests dividing into 20-30 regions.
    2. Jason worked on a first draft of a map which Jamie has expanded with this Region Proposal.
  6. National Matters
    1. The USPP elected new officers and Jamie is subbing in as Quartermaster/Secretary. He would like a replacement.

Events Summary

  1. Feb. 4, Cryptoparty @ Boston Desktop Linux Users Group
  2. Feb. 8 (week of), Pirate Show, SCATV (Noe)
  3. Feb. 14, 11:00a - 3:00p. WMass Cryptoparty (lisbon), Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center, 100 Bigelow Street, Holyoke, MA (http://mghpcc.com/), Snow date is Feb 21st, dates tentative. duration 4 hours. Need to supply our own projector.
  4. Mar. 15, Boston Peace Parade
  5. Mar. 22, Cryptoparty, Worcester
  6. Apr. 25, PirateCon 2015
  7. May 6, International Day against DRM
  8. May, Together Boston Cryptoparty?
  9. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
  10. Jun. event?
  11. Jul. event?
  12. Aug. event?
  13. Sep., Freedom Rally
  14. Oct. event?
  15. Nov. event?
  16. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • lisbon (Christopher Maria, Ludlow)

Observers

  • davidd
  • decipherstatic
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

Minutes of Worcester Planning Meeting

Things look good for Feb 4th and Feb 14th cryptoparties. Steve to do blog post and CiviCRM events. Lisbon will try to put up a few flyers.

PirateCon. 7 topics + lightning talks = 8 sessions. That works out to ~ 40 minutes each. Will do lunch on your own; there are plenty of places to eat in immediate vicinity (Prudential center, Boylston St)

We do a quick summary of 2014 expenses, and 2015 budget. We have to file a transitional report by Feb 10th, then we'll be fully in the depository system.

Minutes

 
21:01 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_29th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:02 < lisbon> Christopher Maria, Ludlow
21:03 < jokeefe> Minutes of the Worcester planning meeting is at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_24th,_2014_Worcester_Planning_Meeting
21:04 < jokeefe> Decisons
21:04 < jokeefe> Cryptoparties
21:04 < jokeefe> Feb. 4th, Cambridge  - anything to plan srevilak?
21:04 < srevilak> I think we're all set.
21:05 < srevilak> Al Willis doing PGP, me doing packet surveillance.
        Have to update slides this weekend, but that's it
21:05 < jokeefe> Great!
21:05 < jokeefe> Feb. 14th, WMass & dinner afterward
21:06 < srevilak> Assuming Andrew confirms, I think we have a lineup.
21:06 < jokeefe> Sent out email to bring people together - Have three
        speakers, seems enough.  Need a blog post for both cryptoparties and
        the one in Worcester
21:06 < jokeefe> Will remind him
21:07 < srevilak> I can do blog post
21:07 < jokeefe> Thank you!
21:07 < srevilak> will also set up civicrm events
21:07 < srevilak> should have civi events ready tomorrow night
21:07 < jokeefe> great!
21:07 < jokeefe> thank you
21:08 < lisbon> Did anyone call the WMass venue to ask about the
        projector/display issue?
21:08 < jokeefe> think srevilak did
21:08 < srevilak> I called them.  We have to bring our own projector,
        but there is wall space to project onto
21:08 < lisbon> ok
21:08 < jokeefe> We have access to one, so shouldn’t be an issue
21:08 < srevilak> There's also 24/7 security, so someone will be there
        to let us in
21:09 < lisbon> great, are there any more developments that were not
        included in last night's email?
21:09 < jokeefe> don’t think so
21:10 < lisbon> ok
21:10 < jokeefe> would you be able to put up a poster in public places?
21:10 < lisbon> I could try to do a few, what size?
21:11 < jokeefe> normal page size
21:11 < lisbon> can you email me a pdf
21:11 < lisbon> or should I make my own
21:13 < srevilak> worth putting an `activities' listing up on Craigslist?
21:13 < jokeefe> always
21:14 < srevilak> will try that too
21:14 < lisbon> that sounds like a good idea
21:14 < jokeefe> will make sure you have a pdf by Sunday, lisbon, if
        that is ok
21:14 < lisbon> great
21:14 < jokeefe> PirateCon 2015 - Site Update
21:15 < jokeefe> Suffolk is out.  Haven’t had time to contact BU with
        the bilzzard and work.
21:15 < jokeefe> Will contact them tomorrow.
21:16 < jokeefe> Program - Will email Open Gov. list tonight
21:16 < jokeefe> Any update on FOIA panel, srevilak
21:16 < srevilak> Approached muckrock, they seemed interested.
21:17 < srevilak> I'm wondering about formats
21:17 < srevilak> in 2013, most were panel discussions.  Do we want to
        stick with that,
21:17 < srevilak> or mix things up (panel, presentation, etc)
21:18 < jokeefe> How much time do we think we will have?
21:18 < srevilak> We have 7 topics
21:18 < srevilak> eight hour rental - 1 hr lunch - 1 hr break
21:18 < srevilak> gives us 45-50/minutes presentation
21:19 < srevilak> js0000 suggested lightning talks, which actually gives
        us 8 topics
21:19 < srevilak> so, more like 40 minutes/each
21:19 < jokeefe> Lightning talks seems to work
21:19 < jokeefe> We could go later
21:20 < srevilak> true - we have a day rental
21:20 < srevilak> but I think 8 hours is a long chunk of time
21:20 < jokeefe> agreed
21:21 < jokeefe> Should we cater lunch to cut down on the time people
        go to look for food?
21:21 < srevilak> There are lots of places in immediate area
21:21 < srevilak> on boylston st & in pru center
21:22 < srevilak> I think on-your-own lunch would be okay
21:22 < srevilak> For program, I can volunteer to find speakers on
        income inequality
21:23 < jokeefe> Thank you
21:24 < jokeefe> Ok, no catered lunch
21:25 < jokeefe> How about longer panels and shorter speaker times
21:25 < lisbon> I unfortunately need to go, I will look over the meeting
        minutes after of course
21:25 < srevilak> jokeefe: could do that
21:26 < srevilak> Some topics would probably be okay with a single
        presentation (eg. FOIA).  Others (Net Neutrality) seem better suited
        to panel
21:27 < srevilak> js0000 had a suggestion about coalition building:
        inviting other groups, like 350.org
21:28 < jokeefe> well, would be good if we have time
21:29 < srevilak> true
21:29 < srevilak> what about fundraising / suggested door contributions?
21:30 < jokeefe> $10/person was what we did last time
21:30 < jokeefe> do we want that as the base and then have tiers?
21:30 < jokeefe> what would we give out for more?
21:31 < srevilak> good question (what to give out for more)
21:32 < jokeefe> fliers, stickers, flags, buttons?
21:32 < srevilak> depending on cost, flags could be cool
21:32 < srevilak> last time, most people gave $10, with a portion
        giving more
21:33 < srevilak> much of the donations came through piryx, with some
        in cash
21:33 < srevilak> Also note that we need to budget for coffee and donuts
21:34 < jokeefe> 100 people at $1/person = $100?
21:34 < jokeefe> too little?
21:35 < srevilak> let's see ...
21:35 < srevilak> base rental at CC is $300.
21:35 < srevilak> we'll also have $50 for large event cleanup fee and
        $25 for projector
21:35 < srevilak> coffee will be another $40
21:35 < srevilak> that's a bit over $400 in costs
21:35 < jokeefe> what about wifi?  js0000 still able to help?
21:36 < srevilak> Will have to check
21:36 < jokeefe> also, need to find someone to record the panels/talks
21:36 < jokeefe> do we want to stream?
21:36 < srevilak> streaming would be nice if we can do it
21:37 < srevilak> would be nice to bring in $500 in registrations.
        Just so we break even
21:37 < jokeefe> probably makes sense to put stream on its own network,
        separate from the wifi
21:37 < srevilak> jokeefe: agreed
21:37 < jokeefe> 100 x $10 is $1000 if we can do it
21:38 < jokeefe> with some giving more
21:38 < srevilak> or even 100 x $5 = $500
21:38 < jokeefe> I think $10 is a good minimum
21:38 < jokeefe> $1/hr
21:39 < srevilak> works for me
21:39 < srevilak> should we ask for volunteers to bottom line the
        remaining topics (in terms of finding speakers, etc)
21:39 < jokeefe> yes
21:40 < jokeefe> think we should setup an indiegogo campaign for as much
        of the year’s spending as possible
21:40 < jokeefe> $10 tier gives membership to PirateCon
21:41 < srevilak> sounds good, as long as we can get the right language
        in the contribution form
21:42 < jokeefe> oh yes!
21:42 < jokeefe> so we need a blog post outlining the topics and what
        we need
21:43 < srevilak> I updated
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_29th,_2015_IRC_Meeting#Decisions
        with topics, and noted topics that need organizers
21:43 < jokeefe> have program done by end Feb or earlier?
21:43 < jokeefe> thanks!
21:43 < srevilak> Could be nice to have organizers found by mid feb,
        and a partial list of speakers by end of Feb, early march
21:45 < srevilak> & have vast majority nailed down by mid-march
21:45 < srevilak> wdyt?
21:45 < jokeefe> Prefer by early Feb.  Campaign should be set to go by
1 March, I suggest
21:45 < srevilak> true, need time to fundraise
21:46 < jokeefe> 6-7 weeks
21:46 < srevilak> in that case, should have scheduled nailed down by
        end of feb
21:47 < jokeefe> something to shoot for
21:47 < jokeefe> Ready to move on to the budget presentation?
21:47 < srevilak> sure
21:48 < srevilak> we started 2014 with a negative balance, and ended
        with a positive balance
21:49  * srevilak looks at slides
21:49 < srevilak> $3270 in income during 2014
21:49 < srevilak> $2321 in expenses
21:49 < srevilak> $1875 of expenses coming from in-kind contributions
21:50 < srevilak> 1 major fundraiser.  Net receipts $645, cost ~ 320
21:50 < srevilak> major event expenses: fundraiser, activists ball,
        freedom rally, pride, arisia
21:50 < srevilak> budget is on the wiki
21:50 < srevilak> we're partially through the depository system transition
21:51 < srevilak> next milestone there is to file a transition report
        (D102) by Feb 10th
21:51 < srevilak> this will outline our income/expenses from Jan
21:51 < srevilak> After that, we're on 2x month reporting
21:52 < srevilak> Bi-monthly reports seem to be due 5 days after the
        beginning (or middle) of the month
21:53 < srevilak> https://masspirates.org/wiki/2015_Budget
21:53 < srevilak> That's the quick summary of finances
21:55 < jokeefe> updated with SCATV membership
21:57 < jokeefe> What is the Piryx Transaction Fees %?
21:58  * srevilak looks
21:58 < srevilak> 4.5%
21:59 < jokeefe> Ok, should factor that in, as well as Indiegogo /
        bitcoin fee
21:59 < jokeefe> s
22:00 < srevilak> we're at time
22:00 < jokeefe> Would you email out a request for a final review of
        the budget?
22:00 < jokeefe> yes
22:00 < srevilak> request for final review of the budget?
22:00 < jokeefe> yes.  want to get it approved and move on
22:01 < srevilak> doh, sure
22:01 < srevilak> will do that tomorrow night
22:01 < jokeefe> thank you
22:01 < jokeefe> shall we adjourn, then?
22:01 < srevilak> 2nd
22:01 < srevilak> will post notes
22:01 < jokeefe> aye