January 2nd, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Tech Mtg/Hackathon

Fundraiser

Planning for 2018 Elections & Organizing

Training schedule:

  • January: Boston
  • February: Worcester

Once we set dates for the trainings we will put up a poll asking about our 2018 conference and whether to change it into several regional conferences.

In 2018, towns decide when their elections are held, but most are held in the first half of the year. State & county elections are in November. What offices are up in 2018 is listed here. We have been asked to hold a town election training in Milford this year.

Nomination papers for federal/state/county elections are available in mid-February. State/county candidates have until the end of May to gather all of their signatures, while federal candidates have until the end of July. The number of signatures needed vary from 150 for State Rep. to 2000 for US House of Representatives.

The electronic election for our officers went well in 2017, and we should consider doing it again. Such a change would allow us to decentralize our yearly conference and hold multiple regional conferences in different parts of the state. We could schedule monthly conferences starting in March or April. We could limit them to about 4-5 hours long, with the first half being training and the second half being discussion. If we want to go this route, we should ask our members soon and see who wants to organize their regional conference.

Digital Right of Repair

Details. Making calls to volunteers and members.

Statements In Process

  • GOP Tax Bill (we opposed)
  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

  • 1/3, 6pm – 9pm, Community WorcNite #16, The WorcShop, 243 Stafford St, Worcester, MA 01603. Registration

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
  • igel: william fleurant, arlington
  • andyk

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • Hirppa
  • hvxgr

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:01pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_2nd,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:01pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:01pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:02pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:02pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:02pm] jokeefe: Malt, I am coming down with a cold and sore throat. Who should I call at WorcNight to tell them I won’t be able to make the cryptoparty?
[9:03pm] Malt: I'll be there
[9:03pm] Malt: had you talked to anyone else?
[9:03pm] jokeefe: no
[9:03pm] Malt: it'll be fine
[9:04pm] jokeefe: 1st Wed. of the month is usually, yes?
[9:04pm] Malt: yup!
[9:04pm] jokeefe: ok, will plan to attend the February one, then.
[9:04pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Anything to add to the agenda?
[9:05pm] Malt: that'll be a good lead up to the run for something meeting
[9:05pm] Malt: i was wondering if we had worked out the fine details with the library yet
[9:06pm] jokeefe: in Worcester?
[9:06pm] Joe: brb
[9:07pm] Malt: yes
[9:07pm] Malt: i want to start flyering for it
[9:09pm] jokeefe: sorry, I thought you were setting that up.  Here is the library schedul: http://www.eventkeeper.com/mars/xpages/W/WPL/EK.cfm?zeeOrg=WPL
[9:09pm] andyk: ahoy, sorry I'm late
[9:10pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:10pm] Joe: It happens
[9:10pm] Joe: and Ahoy
[9:11pm] Malt: I misunderstood
[9:12pm] jokeefe: No worries. Let’s figure it out now. The two rooms they have at the main branch are the Banx and Saxe
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Saxe is auditorium style only
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Banx is open on the 3rd from 1pm on. Saxe seems to be open the entire day
[9:14pm] jokeefe: 10th - Banx noon on, Saxe open whole day
[9:15pm] igel: o/
[9:15pm] Malt: I like the 10th
[9:15pm] jokeefe: 17th looks more busy
[9:15pm] igel: william fleurant, arlington
[9:15pm] Malt: welcome!
[9:15pm] Joe: Ahoy!
[9:15pm] Malt: I can't find where you're finding this info
[9:16pm] jokeefe: http://www.eventkeeper.com/mars/xpages/W/WPL/EK.cfm?curOrg=WPL&curMonth=2&curYear=2018&curKey1=Adult%20Programs&curKey2=Main%20Library&SelectedDate=2/17/2018
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Then I click on the dates
[9:16pm] jokeefe: This is the on-line sign up form: https://www.eventkeeper.com/code/admin/evt_RecordEdit.cfm?curOrg=WPL&curMode=ADMIN&setRef=default&curHelp=&CFID=128103587&CFTOKEN=7558b7d05c0f2d1b-41B2B789-D4AE-528A-5350A55AC5ACAE5D&jsessionid=8430fac43b14bb802e847c5323666e64307b
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Or go here and click on Request Room: http://www.eventkeeper.com/code/events.cfm?curOrg=WPL&curApp=rooms
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Malt, would you be able to schedule it?
[9:17pm] Malt: yes
[9:17pm] jokeefe: thanks so much!
[9:17pm] jokeefe: msg/call/email if you run into any problems
[9:17pm] Malt: totally will
[9:17pm] jokeefe: great
[9:17pm] Malt: feb 24th work for everyone?
[9:18pm] Joe: That's my mother's bday
[9:18pm] Joe: lolz
[9:18pm] Joe: All the other days I could manage something
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Fine with me. Please email srevilak if that works for him.
[9:19pm] Malt: i don't think i have his email
[9:19pm] jokeefe: will send it to you
[9:19pm] Malt: thank you
[9:22pm] jokeefe: emailed you two
[9:23pm] jokeefe: I haven’t made progress on the Boston training. The snow storm during the one in Holyoke depressed turn out. Thinking of mid March.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Will also look at early Feb. just in case
[9:24pm] jokeefe: oh, hey igel!
[9:24pm] Joe: I would also like to focus on a spring fundraiser if possible.
[9:24pm] jokeefe: looks like the 1/31 cryptoparty will focus on mesh networks
[9:24pm] Malt: niiice
[9:24pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:25pm] igel: i missed last of 2017! i got to cafe early, but thought i was late
[9:25pm] Joe: Did we ever set a price for what we wanted to charge for it
[9:25pm] Joe: ?
[9:25pm] igel: lookin forward to 1/31
[9:25pm] jokeefe: no, we did not, Joe.
[9:30pm] Malt: any foreward momentum on the computer/e-waste drive?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: I like the idea of a Hackathon fundraiser. Seems more our style right now and the upfront costs are just the space.
[9:31pm] Joe: Btw, I responded to Peter Hawthorne, whom wanted to sell us stuff.
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Sorry, I have been dealing with work/holidays, but can work on it more now
[9:31pm] Malt: probably worth it to focus solely on a fundraiser for now
[9:31pm] Joe: It seemed more up your alley Jamie, since it deals with the site.
[9:32pm] Joe: I like the idea though
[9:32pm] Malt: what would the subject of the hackathon be?
[9:32pm] jokeefe: With a Hackathon, fundraiser, we could do it like a kick starter.
[9:32pm] Malt: post-neutrality?
[9:32pm] Joe: We could make teams of hackers verse defenders?
[9:32pm] Joe: Then switch teams or something
[9:32pm] jokeefe:  best to have different things
[9:32pm] Joe: Just a thought
[9:32pm] Malt: ok!
[9:33pm] Malt: i could host a class teaching folk how to use audacity to make visual art
[9:33pm] jokeefe: that way there is topics to choose from
[9:33pm] Joe: They would at least make good team names for trivia!
[9:33pm] Malt: datamoshing is cyberpunk af
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Poster design would be a good topic
[9:33pm] jokeefe: phone apps for mapping cameras
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Announce we are working on it with a place for people to suggest ideas
[9:34pm] jokeefe: setup a place people can donate money/time
[9:35pm] jokeefe: find a place and location
[9:35pm] jokeefe: continue to promote
[9:35pm] Joe: I have a space you can use. It's not much but at least it's cheap.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: with email and maybe snail mail letter asking for people to donate and telling them what events we have upcoming
[9:36pm] Joe: I was hoping to do that with the video as well.
[9:36pm] Malt: the library might have data in need of hackathoning
[9:37pm] jokeefe: both are possibilities
[9:37pm] jokeefe: we cannot take money in a public library though
[9:37pm] jokeefe: or even ask
[9:37pm] Malt: or visualizing historical voting info
[9:37pm] jokeefe: but we can ask before or after
[9:37pm] jokeefe: visualizing voting info is good too
[9:37pm] jokeefe: when do you want to have it.
[9:37pm] jokeefe: ?
[9:38pm] Joe: or instruct them on where to send the donations as well.
[9:38pm] Malt: after the worcester thing?
[9:38pm] jokeefe: realize candidates have until late may to gather signatures, IIRC
[9:38pm] Joe: There is a way I can set it up so that they pay through Facebook.
[9:39pm] Joe: The only challenge is that we would have to get all of their information up front first.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Based on http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepdf/Candidates-Guide-generic.pdf, April 30th is the last day to hand in nomination papers to cities/towns for validation for state legislature/county offices.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Well we have to get all their info up front anyway, so that is ok for those who want to use FB
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Date to have nomination papers into cities/towns for Federal offices is July 30th
[9:42pm] Joe: Yeah, I would just throw that one at you anyways Capt. since your would be able to control both.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Malt, yes, after Worcester campaign training is good
[9:44pm] Malt: may 16th in Worcester
[9:45pm] Malt: http://www.worcesterma.gov/elections/election-calendar
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Wednesday?
[9:46pm] jokeefe: oh I see. that is 2017 for city elections, would be my guess
[9:46pm] Malt: yes
[9:47pm] jokeefe: ok. there is a schedule for state/federal elections on page 12 of http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepdf/Candidates-Guide-generic.pdf
[9:47pm] Joe: https://www.lowellma.gov/392/Running-For-Office
[9:47pm] jokeefe: It is generic
[9:47pm] Malt: owp
[9:47pm] Malt: my mistake
[9:47pm] Malt: is feb too late?
[9:49pm] jokeefe: no. Nomination papers become available in mid. february
[9:50pm] Malt: ok, i'll stop panicking
[9:50pm] jokeefe: BTW: Mass Alliance two day campaign training dates are:
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Greater Boston, March 10-11, 2018
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Worcester, March 24-25, 2018
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Greater Boston, May 5-6, 2018
[9:50pm] Malt: nice
[9:50pm] jokeefe: http://massalliance.org/training/
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Getting ready to run training is March 4, 2017
[9:52pm] Malt: is there a cost to thr training?
[9:53pm] jokeefe: no it is free, IIRC.
[9:54pm] jokeefe: I’ll look at early/mid Feb for the Boston training, so we don’t conflict with these.
[9:54pm] Malt: massalliance training is $90
[9:54pm] Malt: but it covers meals
[9:54pm] jokeefe: ah, thanks for that
[9:56pm] jokeefe: or we could concentrate on the Worcester training and do short how to videos
[9:56pm] Joe: ^
[9:56pm] Malt:
[9:56pm] Malt: there's a lot of groups in boston
[9:56pm] Malt: might be wise to partner with DSA?
[9:57pm] jokeefe: Good idea. Will reach out to them.
[9:57pm] jokeefe: Also These look interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT4Sda1sAg0
[9:58pm] jokeefe: I’ll send them email.
[9:59pm] jokeefe: So when seems the best for the hackathon/fundraiser?
[10:00pm] Joe: I am thinking spring, around the april/may time frame. That way we can care more and let people know with plenty of advance
[10:01pm] Joe: Plus, I would recommend we have guest speakers at the event to talk about different points.
[10:01pm] jokeefe: that sounds like PirateCon 
[10:01pm] Joe: Yeah, but with more food. 
[10:01pm] jokeefe: Was thinking this would be less listen and more work/talk together
[10:02pm] Joe: If we are working a lot, then people would be less likely to want to eat. If they eat, they will stay longer.
[10:02pm] jokeefe: April could work or after May 6th
[10:02pm] jokeefe: Lunch is good
[10:03pm] jokeefe: Potlucks are better 
[10:03pm] igel: hah
[10:04pm] Joe: I would want it catered so we could focus more on the topics at hand. We could do a pot luck as another event.
[10:04pm] jokeefe: also no reason we couldn’t do one each in Worcester, Lowell and Boston-area
[10:04pm] jokeefe: all different
[10:04pm] Joe: If we are going to pay, I want my food prepaid
[10:04pm] jokeefe: good point
[10:04pm] Joe: prepared, lolz
[10:05pm] jokeefe: Which sounds better for a first one, April or mid/late May?
[10:05pm] Joe: We could do it as a full dress ball if you like.
[10:05pm] Joe: I like May more, since it gives more time to let everyone know.
[10:06pm] Joe: I believe we are at time sir.
[10:08pm] jokeefe: We are. Let’s put the date discussion on the agenda for the next meeting.
[10:08pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn?
[10:08pm] Malt: sure
[10:08pm] Joe: May 12th & Second
[10:08pm] Joe: Second the motion
[10:09pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[10:09pm] Malt: aye
[10:09pm] Joe: Aye!
[10:10pm] Joe: Good night!
[10:10pm] igel: hmm aye
[10:10pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:10pm] Malt: night
[10:10pm] jokeefe: night all