January 31st, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

  1. Reminders
    1. TSA out of the MBTA protest this Saturday
    2. @aaronsw Memorial Hackathons, BUILDS, Boston, Sat., Feb. 2nd
    3. We are scheduled to appear on the Two Hot Heads show this Saturday to talk about the new bill An Act Updating the Wire Interception Law.
    4. February Pirate Lunch poll up, please fill out by this Friday, 2/1
    5. February Monthly meeting poll up, please fill out by next Friday, 2/8
  2. Planning for International Day for Privacy #IDP13 Cryptoparty
  3. National Party update

Committee reports to start next week.

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

Participants

  • srevilak - Steve Revilak, Arlington
  • Shidash - M. C., Boston
  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • SplendidSpoon - Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge
  • mildbeard - Erik Zoltan, Framingham
  • dto

Observers:

  • illunatic
  • davidd
  • Mozart
  • AdVATAR

Summary

TSA out of the MBTA protest

srevilak and jokeefe will start at Harvard and march with a banner.

Planning for International Day for Privacy #IDP13 Cryptoparty

Set for Sat., Feb 23rd, 3-5pm at E5. We have the space from 2-6pm.

Talks (in no particular order) will be:

  • TOR Demo (srevilak)
  • I2P Demo (mildbeard)
  • Discussion of risk assessment (aka - why this stuff matters)
  • Maybe talk on encrypting your files/disk

Space cost is about $40 for four hours. We can ask donations.

National Party update

No meeting so no update.

Meeting Minutes

<nowiki>

[12:00] <@jokeefe> agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=January_31st,_2013_IRC_Meeting [12:01] <@srevilak> apologies for being silent these last few days. Flu. [12:02] <@srevilak> there's a list of activists@ things I need to respond to [12:02] <@jokeefe> no problem. hope you are better [12:02] <+Shidash1> The hackathon is this weekend as well, which may be worth putting on the agenda [12:02] == Shidash1 has changed nick to Shidash [12:04] <+Shidash> and by agenda I mean the reminders section [12:05] <@jokeefe> so added [12:05] == SplendidSpoon [~SplendidS@38.111.ly.vgu] has joined #masspirates [12:05] == mode/#masspirates [+o SplendidSpoon] by [4Q] [12:05] == mode/#masspirates [+v SplendidSpoon] by [4Q] [12:05] == mode/#masspirates [+l 18] by [4Q] [12:05] <@jokeefe> hi SplendidSppon [12:06] <+Shidash> also more people should fill out this Doodle http://www.doodle.com/ezhz8tyn4f9bueyx [12:06] == mildbeard [~erik@hknv-28-026-620-99.bstnma.fios.verizon.net] has joined #masspirates [12:06] == mode/#masspirates [+o mildbeard] by [4Q] [12:06] == mode/#masspirates [+v mildbeard] by [4Q] [12:06] == mode/#masspirates [+l 19] by [4Q] [12:06] <@SplendidSpoon> ah shit [12:06] <@mildbeard> good morning vietnam... [12:06] <@SplendidSpoon> I forgot Feb 8 is the day before my birthday [12:06] <@SplendidSpoon> I will probably be going out that night [12:06] <@mildbeard> Erik Zoltan, Framingham [12:06] <@SplendidSpoon> so consider that red for me [12:07] <@SplendidSpoon> Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge [12:08] <@srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington. Coding with cats [12:08] <@jokeefe> James O'Keefe, Somerville [12:08] <@mildbeard> cat-astrophe? [12:08] <@jokeefe> update your entry SplendidSpoon [12:09] <@SplendidSpoon> ooh I didn't realize I could do that [12:09] <@srevilak> mildbeard: only when they try to pair program [12:09] <@jokeefe> I know I can ... [12:09] <@SplendidSpoon> I did it [12:09] <@SplendidSpoon> Sweet [12:09] <@jokeefe> SplendidSpoon would you run the meeting? [12:10] <@jokeefe> for a few min [12:10] <@SplendidSpoon> OK [12:11] <@SplendidSpoon> ok [12:11] <@SplendidSpoon> Reminders [12:12] <@SplendidSpoon> TSA out of MBTA on Saturday [12:12] <@SplendidSpoon> as well as the memorial hackathon at BUILDS [12:12] <@SplendidSpoon> I may or may not be going to that [12:12] <@SplendidSpoon> Also Jamies going on Two HotHeads on Saturday with Alex Marthews from CDFAR [12:12] <@SplendidSpoon> busy saturday [12:13] <@srevilak> re TSA out of MBTA - is there a plan to leave from any specific station? [12:13] <@SplendidSpoon> https://www.facebook.com/events/510992278941389/?fref=ts [12:13] <@SplendidSpoon> There's a plan for each line it seems [12:14] <@mildbeard> cool [12:15] <@srevilak> but in terms of our participation, are we picking one line to come from, or just come from whereever [12:15] <@jokeefe> should we all meet at one station? [12:15] <+Shidash> I'll be busy with the hackathon so I can't go [12:16] <@SplendidSpoon> Yea, if I'm doing something that day it'll be the hackathon [12:16] <@jokeefe> I'll bring banners [12:16] <@jokeefe> I could use at least one person with me. [12:16] <@srevilak> jokeefe: want to leave from harvard? [12:16] <@jokeefe> sure [12:17] <@srevilak> I'm in [12:17] <@jokeefe> you want to meet at my place and we can walk/T from there? [12:18] <@srevilak> jokeefe: sure. How about 11:30? [12:18] <@srevilak> or maybe 11:15. In case T is running a bit late [12:18] == dto [~user@rzwn-29-030-90-41.bstnma.fios.verizon.net] has joined #masspirates [12:18] == mode/#masspirates [+v dto] by [4Q] [12:18] == mode/#masspirates [+l 20] by [4Q] [12:19] <@jokeefe> sounds good srevilak [12:19] <@jokeefe> hi dto [12:19] <+dto> hey jokeefe [12:19] <+dto> sorry i wasn't able to attend the meatspace meeting this last weekend. i will do my best to make the next one. [12:19] <+dto> how are you ? [12:20] <+Shidash> back in a few minutes [12:20] <@jokeefe> Shidash, hope to drop into the hackathon, but may not be able to do so. [12:20] <+dto> hope i'[m not interrupting anything. i just saw the meeting notice on my FB. [12:20] == Shidash [~shidash@rkcmifbw4m-483-79-50-961.bu.edu] has quit [Quit: Leaving.] [12:20] <@jokeefe> nope, dto [12:20] * srevilak sighs. FB event for TSA is private :( [12:20] <@jokeefe> yes, noted that to them [12:21] <@jokeefe> We are scheduled to be on Two Hot Heads to talk about Mass. AG's wiretap bill [12:21] <+dto> ah. [12:22] <@jokeefe> and the polls are up for the next lunch and general meeting [12:22] <@jokeefe> agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=January_31st,_2013_IRC_Meeting for those who missed it [12:22] <+dto> peeking. [12:25] <@jokeefe> Moving to 2. Planning for International Day for Privacy #IDP13 Cryptoparty [12:25] <@mildbeard> everyone, I'm having a rough day at work having been up overnight on call, and they're throwing new stuff at me left and right. I will keep checking back but address me directly if you need a reply. [12:26] <@jokeefe> ok, mildbeard, be well [12:26] <@jokeefe> Schedule has the cryptoparry from 3-5pm. what sould we cover? Tor/file- disk encryption/... [12:26] <@jokeefe> ? [12:26] <+dto> what date is the cryptoparty? [12:27] <+dto> it just says IDP13, does that mean feb 13? [12:27] <+dto> duh 2013, never mind me :) [12:27] <@jokeefe> International Day of Privacy 2013 [12:27] <@jokeefe> also, srevilak, is there a cost for the space? [12:27] <@srevilak> jokeefe: cryptoparty's on E5 calendar from 1-5 (as opposed to 3-5). Do we need to change E5 scheduling? [12:28] <@SplendidSpoon> Feb 23 [12:28] <@jokeefe> better to have the longer time so we can prep [12:28] <@srevilak> ok. Will leave E5 schedule as-is. [12:29] <+dto> hello SplendidSpoon :) [12:29] <@jokeefe> so what to cover in those 2 hours? [12:30] <@SplendidSpoon> Hey [12:30] <@SplendidSpoon> Privacy-related stuff, I guess, but it really depends who we can get to speak, right? [12:30] <@jokeefe> yes [12:31] <@srevilak> and with the venue, we'll be limited to one speaker at a time [12:32] <@jokeefe> srevilak, would you do a TOR talk? [12:32] <@srevilak> jokeefe: sure. [12:33] <@jokeefe> how long would you need? [12:33] <@mildbeard> how about i2p, it's like tor but for file sharing. [12:33] == Shidash [~shidash@rkcmifbw4m-483-79-50-961.bu.edu] has joined #masspirates [12:33] == mode/#masspirates [+v Shidash] by [4Q] [12:33] == mode/#masspirates [+l 20] by [4Q] [12:34] <@srevilak> we could do hour presentations like last conference. I could also cut the time down. [12:34] <@jokeefe> the more tools the better, mildbeard, do you and srevilak want to do a joint talk? [12:34] <@jokeefe> 30 min, 60 min, 45 min, all seem fine [12:34] <@srevilak> Maybe divide (time allotted)/(N Presenters), once we know N? [12:34] <@jokeefe> sure [12:35] <@jokeefe> so far have: tor, i2p [12:35] <@srevilak> If appropriate, I'd like to have a discussion about risk assessment (aka - why this stuff matters) [12:36] <@srevilak> in the vein of what lewman,house did last time [12:36] <+dto> srevilak: i saw the videos of that. fascinating stuff. [12:36] <@jokeefe> sounds good. how about the last half hour, or should we use it in between tech stuff? [12:37] <@srevilak> maybe between tech stuff? Give folks a breather? [12:37] <@jokeefe> good plan [12:38] <@jokeefe> so mildbeard, can you do i2p talk? [12:38] <@mildbeard> sure [12:40] <@jokeefe> thanks [12:41] <@jokeefe> I'll ask ageis if he can do a file encryption talk. [12:41] <@jokeefe> how many people at E5, srevilak? [12:41] <@srevilak> ~ 30--40 [12:42] <@srevilak> one room, with large flat screen display IIRC [12:42] <@jokeefe> so no projector needed? [12:43] <@srevilak> No projector needed [12:43] <@srevilak> just bring laptop -> VGA [12:43] <@jokeefe> nice [12:44] <@srevilak> looking at notes: capacity is 30 [12:44] <@srevilak> requested contribution is $30/3 hours. Presumably $40/for four hours [12:44] <@jokeefe> good to know. so we need to get the audio / video setup if we want to record. Can talk with Joseph about turning into howto videos [12:45] <@jokeefe> will go over, we should schedule 2-6pm. [12:46] <@jokeefe> can ask for donations to defer rental cost [12:46] <@srevilak> jokeefe: I can change 1-5 => 2-6. [12:46] <@srevilak> Shall I do that? [12:47] <@jokeefe> yes please [12:48] <@jokeefe> anything else folks can think of for this topic? [12:50] <@jokeefe> mildbeard, got a National Party update? [12:52] <@mildbeard> no meeting this week, nothing new [12:53] <@jokeefe> ok, thank you [12:54] <@jokeefe> Anything else folks want to bring up? [12:54] <@mildbeard> I've been doing a lot of thinking about education policy. I want to put up a blog post when I have time. [12:55] <@jokeefe> sounds good [12:55] <@mildbeard> I will send my thoughts to the pirate activist list before posting - hopefully I'll get some good feedback there. [12:55] <@mildbeard> that's it [12:55] <@jokeefe> great. motion adjourn? [12:55] <@jokeefe> sorry motion to adjourn? [12:56] <@srevilak> I'll motion [12:56] <@SplendidSpoon> cool [12:56] <+Shidash> ok [12:56] <@SplendidSpoon> back to work [12:56] <@SplendidSpoon> bai bai [12:56] == SplendidSpoon [~SplendidS@38.111.ly.vgu] has quit [Quit: All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain] [12:58] <@jokeefe> that was easy. motion passes [12:58] <@jokeefe> I'll say 2nd and aye to make it official