January 31st, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Endorsements

Hearing there is another #NoWallNoBan protest scheduled for this weekend. Could be a good opportunity to hand flyers out especially if we can tell people about an upcoming cryptoparty.

Projects

Local Surveillance Ordinances

Cryptoparties

Campaign Workshops

Starting Local Chapters

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign

Fundraising & Conference

Message board application

At our last Democracy/IT meeting, we discussed trying out reddit (self-hosted) as a discussion and organizing platform.

Projects On Hold For the Moment

Both of these could be topics for future hackathons.

CCTV Camera Map

Together Boston Meshnet

Upcoming Events

  1. 2/18, 2-4pm, Democracy/IT meeting, Arlington
  2. 2/22, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • G (Garrett, Lowell)
  • puercha (Puer, Somerville)
  • unicornjane (Chris)

Observers

  • Techrev
  • igel
  • davidd
  • papegaai
  • sankey

Summary

Last Saturday's #NoBanNoWall protest. Around 25k people turned out in Copley Square. Several pirates turned out. We brought a banner, talked to a bunch of people. For events like these, would be nice to do up custom flyers. Steve will draft something. There's another rally happening this weekend, in Somerville: https://www.facebook.com/events/156443441518875/.

Cambridge allows all residents (including non-us citizens) to vote in local elections. Would be nice to see that spread to other municipalities. Could be something to campaign about this year.

Could also campaign about asset forfeiture.

To summarize (possible campaign items for 2017)

  1. non-us citizens vote in local elections (and perhaps 16--17 year olds)
  2. no civil asset forfeitures
  3. stop the expansion of surveillance
  4. run for office

Local ordinances. Meeting with Somerville soon. Medford initiative starting up. Arlington warrant article hearing on Feb 6th.

Next cryptoparty is on Feb 22, 2016. Would be nice to write some how-to guides, and open source, so others could use them.

Possible cryptoparty @ Somerville public library on Feb 5th (to dovetail with rally on Feb 4th)? Jamie will try to reserve 1--3pm.

Reddit. Jamie will set up hosting order. Steve will set up access for Puer. Puer will work on setup.

MAAPL. More events coming up, including a local on on (Feb?) 18th. Jamie will send details.

Piratecon. 22 survey participants. 12 for one day, 10 for two conference, 5 for Fri-Sun. Saturday, April 29th was most popular day; second most popular was Sat April 8th. 4 votes in favor of 4/29, with one abstention. Steve will check availability of Tent City community room. Jamie will check availability of Democracy center.

Minutes

 
21:01 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_31st,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:01 < papegaai> Title: January 31st, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:02 < jokeefe> ids
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:02 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < jokeefe> anything to add to the agenda?
21:02 < G> Garret, Lowell
21:02 < puercha> Puer, Somerville
21:03 < srevilak> yes, would like to add reddit
21:03 < srevilak> (from last Democracy/IT meeting)
21:04 < puercha> (trying reddit as a low-friction community organization
        platform)
21:04 < jokeefe> in review?
21:04 < srevilak> probably in projects
21:04 < jokeefe> ok
21:04 < jokeefe> please add it
21:05 < jokeefe> Review
21:05 < jokeefe> #NoBanNoWalls protest went well
21:05 < jokeefe> 25K people
21:05 < G> yuuuge
21:05 < jokeefe> lol
21:06 < jokeefe> ahoy unicornjane
21:06 < unicornjane> it is me Chris
21:06 < jokeefe> agenda
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_31st,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:06 < papegaai> Title: January 31st, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:06 < jokeefe> Chris from?
21:07 < jokeefe> We had at least 6 people, for short notice
21:07 < jokeefe> at #NoBanNoWalls protest, Chris
21:07 < jokeefe> We are on Review
21:07 < unicornjane> the new guy on your slack
21:07 < jokeefe> oh hi, we also have a Chris from New Hampshire
21:07 < jokeefe> welcome
21:08 < unicornjane> i am the one who uses a diff name each time
21:08 < jokeefe> ok
21:08 < G> tricky tricky
21:08 < unicornjane> security through obsecurity
21:09 < jokeefe> We told a bunch of people about us and showed the
        flag/banner
21:09 < jokeefe> Endorsements
21:09 < srevilak> jokeefe: agree with what you mentioned agenda, re;
        flyers
21:10 < jokeefe> custom flyers for the rally would help, especially if
        they list our upcoming events
21:10 < srevilak> Will try to draft one tomorrow night
21:10 < jokeefe> thanks
21:10 < srevilak> I can easily run off 100 or so copies at home
21:10 < jokeefe> haven’t heard of another big one, but there is one
        on Saturday in Somerville
21:10 < unicornjane> ovenbirdmash on slack
21:12 < unicornjane> March for Science doesn't have a date yet
21:12 < jokeefe> hmm… looking for an invite link on slack
21:12 < G> is there a state level legislation we can push to counter
        the federal gov?
21:12 < srevilak> jokeefe: do you have details for Saturday's Somerville
        event?
21:12 < jokeefe> looking
21:13 < jokeefe> https://www.facebook.com/events/156443441518875/
21:13 < papegaai> Title: We are One Somerville: Sanctuary City Rally
        (at www.facebook.com)
21:13 < jokeefe> Somerville High 10 AM - 12 PM
21:15 < jokeefe> Having flyers for it would be great. Will email people
        in the area.
21:15 < jokeefe> Calls would also be good, if only for Somerville
21:15 < G> what is our call to action?
21:15 < srevilak> G: federal gov't has jurisdiction for 100 miles around
        the border.
21:16 < G> yes i know about the constitution free zone
21:16 < srevilak> Not sure what could be done on state level.  But lots
        of municipalities doing sanctuary city declarations
21:16 < G> and i also know federal law trumps state
21:16 < jokeefe> Well the GOP thinks otherwise when they aren’t in
        power … ;)
21:16 < G> the GOP aren't our only rivals
21:17 < jokeefe> tis true
21:17 < jokeefe> suggestions?
21:17 < srevilak> Cambridge allows any resident (even non us citizens)
        to vote in local elections (e.g., school board). Would be nice to see
        that in other cities & towns
21:18 < jokeefe> what, no taxation without representation?
21:18 < jokeefe> has a revolutionary feel to it
21:19 < G> not sure what can be done, just triyng to flesh out a mission
        to rally people to our banners
21:20 < srevilak> I'd like to see what MA towns do this year, re:
        sanctuary city & trust act.  Perhaps we can get a read for that
21:20 < jokeefe> protect your privacy seems relevant
21:20 < jokeefe> 2/22, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty
21:20 < G> aye. i was thinking Article 14 protections maybe... against
        search and seizure
21:20 < jokeefe> no asset forfeiture
21:21 < G> oh i hate that. let's get em
21:21 < srevilak> Ah yes, asset forfeiture.
21:21 < G> and they call us the pirates
21:21 < G> psssssh
21:21 < G> :P
21:21 < srevilak> :)
21:21 < jokeefe> heard a friend had her rent money taken by the police
        because it was in the possession of a friend who was arrested
21:21 < jokeefe> stop surveillance
21:22 < jokeefe> can get some pictures of somerville CCTV cameras
21:22 < jokeefe> enough of them going up.
21:22 < jokeefe> so summary:
21:22 < unicornjane> (the crypto party, what is The Sprouts?)
21:23 < jokeefe> educational makerspace of a sort
21:23 < srevilak> unicornjane: sprouts = makerspace @ 339R Summer St,
        Somerville
21:23 < jokeefe> 1. non us citizens should be able to vote in local
        elections (I would add 16 & 17 yearolds)
21:24 < jokeefe> 2. no civil asset forfeitures
21:24 < unicornjane> this? http://thesprouts.org/
21:24 < papegaai> Title: sprout & co :: making science a cultural activity
        since 2008 (at thesprouts.org)
21:24 < jokeefe> aye
21:24 < unicornjane> thx
21:24 < jokeefe> 3. stop the expansion of city surveillance
21:24 < jokeefe> & events
21:25 < jokeefe> did I miss anything?
21:25 < srevilak> 4. Run for office
21:26 < jokeefe> ok
21:27 < jokeefe> would you put up a pad and we can hash out the
        text? layout by Thu. Print on Fri.
21:27 < srevilak> sure.  Will send out
21:28 < jokeefe> thank you
21:29 < jokeefe> please send it to the villepirates list as well
21:29 < jokeefe> so we have a plan
21:29 < jokeefe> Projects
21:30 < jokeefe> Local Surveillance Ordinances - Meeting with city
        soon. Medford starting up. Arlington got mentioned in the local paper.
21:31 < srevilak> Re: Arlington.  Send testimony statement to board of
        selectmen today.  Hearing on Feb 6th
21:31 < srevilak> s/Send/Sent/
21:31 < jokeefe> should we record that?
21:31 < jokeefe> or would that not be viewed favorably
21:32 < srevilak> Arlington Selectmen meetings are recorded by ACMi
        (local access CATV)
21:32 < srevilak> http://vod.acmi.tv/
21:33 < srevilak> In arlington, people are welcome to record public
        meetings, as long as they announce intent to do so beforehand
21:33 < srevilak> I've seen lots of people record stuff with cell phones @
        BoS meetings
21:34 < jokeefe> ok. could be something we could put up on the web
21:34 < srevilak> Yes
21:34 < jokeefe> we can figure it out later
21:36 < jokeefe> Cryptoparties - Somerville on 2/22
21:36 < jokeefe> Talked with a journalist about doing one for
        journalist. will work to setup a date
21:37 < jokeefe> a few listed at cryptoparty.in/boston or
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2017_Event_Calendar
21:37 < papegaai> Title: 2017 Event Calendar - Mass Pirate Wiki (at
        masspirates.org)
21:37 < jokeefe> The thing I am seeing is we don’t have enough people
        to teach them and/or have materials we can give out
21:38 < jokeefe> suggested on cryptoparty list that we have open source
        howto guides for different tools/techniques, and have gotten some interest
21:38 < jokeefe> we could print out our own copies with our contact info,
        but open source so others could do that as well.
21:40 < puercha> that would be great to have
21:40 < jokeefe> somerville central library is available on sunday
        the 8th.
21:41 < jokeefe> auditorium that is
21:41 < puercha> for a cryptoparty you mean?
21:41 < unicornjane> Updated https://www.cryptoparty.in/boston
21:41 < jokeefe> aye
21:41 < papegaai> Title: boston [CryptoParty.] (at www.cryptoparty.in)
21:41 < srevilak> Sunday - the 8th of what month?
21:41 < jokeefe> this
21:42 < puercha> (Feb you mean)
21:42 < jokeefe> ties to the event saturday
21:42 < srevilak> Sunday is Feb 5th
21:42 < srevilak> ?
21:43 < jokeefe> yes sorry, was looking at the wrong month
21:43 < jokeefe> 5th is open as well
21:43 < jokeefe> anyone game?
21:44 < puercha> i'd like to come
21:44 < srevilak> I could probably do something on Sun
21:45 < puercha> Sunday morning works for me
21:45 < jokeefe> we can keep it short. try to stream line it
21:46 < jokeefe> sunday it is open 1-5pm
21:46 < puercha> i can do 1pm
21:46 < srevilak> 1pm works for me too
21:46 < jokeefe> 1-3pm?
21:46 < srevilak> sure
21:46 < puercha> ok
21:47 < jokeefe> ok, I will schedule it tonight
21:47 < jokeefe> thanks
21:47 < jokeefe> Starting Local Chapters - how goes G?
21:48 < G> i have no update.  i haven't had time to make more phone calls
21:48 < srevilak> jokeefe: since we have puercha here (& 13 min left),
        could we jump to reddit?
21:48 < jokeefe> sure
21:49 < puercha> at the last IT meeting we talked about a better community
        organization platform
21:49 < jokeefe> aye
21:49 < srevilak> was thinking we could set up w/ a separate
        hosting order, as discuss.masspirates.org or talk.masspirates.org,
        or reddit.masspirates.org
21:49 < puercha> one which would allow the community to self organize
        without the use of maling lists
21:50 < jokeefe> yes, puercha
21:50 < puercha> yes and i'd be happy to fork the reddit source code
        and set up a system on the masspirates domain
21:50 < jokeefe> cool
21:50 < srevilak> thank you!
21:51 < jokeefe> puercha, you wanted to be added to the democracy list,
        yes?
21:51 < srevilak> puercha: could you send me a public ssh key?
21:51 < jokeefe> srevilak, I have a variation of the hosting order,
        that I will send to democracy list
21:51 < puercha> i'll send you a key
21:51 < srevilak> ok
21:52 < jokeefe> anything to decide on this topic?
21:52 < srevilak> unicornjane: would you like to help with setup and/or
        testing?
21:53 < unicornjane> of the reddit?
21:53 < srevilak> jokeefe: if you can set up hosting order, I can add
        puercha's ssh key
21:53 < jokeefe> ok
21:54 < unicornjane> i would find it interesting in seeing how setting
        up reddit works, ya
21:54 < puercha> not familiar with IRC - supports file transfer yes?
21:54 < jokeefe> puercha, you could email it. srevilak takes encrypted
        email
21:54 < jokeefe> quick MAAPL update - have events, will post them,
        hopefully one locally on the 18th.
21:55 < srevilak> yes, email attachment for public key would be fine
21:56 < jokeefe> I would like to move to Fundraising & Conference with
        the four minutes we have
21:56 < srevilak> ok
21:57 < jokeefe> we got 22 participants in our survey
21:57 < jokeefe> 12 for one day, 10 for two conference, 5 for Fri-Sun
21:58 < jokeefe> On the topic of When Should we hold piratecon 2017?
21:58 < jokeefe> Saturday, April 8th	13
21:58 < jokeefe> Sunday, April 9th	7
21:58 < jokeefe> Saturday, April 29th	16
21:58 < jokeefe> Sunday, April 30th	12
21:58 < puercha> (what does MAAPL stand for?)
21:58 < jokeefe> massachusetts alliance for predatory lending
21:58 < jokeefe> they fight illegal foreclosures
21:58 < jokeefe> which sadly is many if not most of them
21:59 < srevilak> puercha: Massachusetts Alliance against predatory
        lending (anti-forclosure advocacy)
21:59 < jokeefe> The problem with the 29th/30th is it over laps with
        Mass Alliance candidate training
21:59 < puercha> piratecon 2017 is hosted by masspirates? do pirates in
        other states / countries attend?
21:59 < jokeefe> they have in the past
22:00 < puercha> cool
22:00 < puercha> how many people usually show up?
22:00 < jokeefe> varies
22:00 < srevilak> 20--35 is typical
22:00 < jokeefe> but we want 100+
22:00 < puercha> yeah
22:01 < puercha> cool
22:01 < srevilak> April 8th then?
22:01 < jokeefe> well more votes went for the 29th, and that gives us
        more time
22:01 < srevilak> I agree
22:02 < jokeefe> there are other mass alliance trainings
22:02 < srevilak> IIRC, mass alliance also has training on 3/4
22:02 < jokeefe> and during libreplanet and in may
22:02 < srevilak> So, April 29th then?
22:02 < jokeefe> 2nd
22:03 < srevilak> all in favor?
22:03 < puercha> 29th works for me
22:03 < jokeefe> G, unicornjane?
22:03 < unicornjane> (not voting)
22:03 < jokeefe> I am fine with either 29th or 8th
22:04 < G> aye 29 is fine
22:04 < jokeefe> 29th it is
22:04 < jokeefe> will announce
22:04 < G> 28 is a friday so that is no good. i'll never make it
22:04 < jokeefe> srevilak, would you talk with our last site?
22:04 < jokeefe> and see if they are available?
22:04 < srevilak> sure, I can do that
22:04 < jokeefe> thanks
22:04 < srevilak> we're at time.  Motion to adjourn
22:05 < jokeefe> Will check demo center
22:05 < jokeefe> 2nd
22:05 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:05 < G> aye
22:05 < srevilak> aye
22:05 < jokeefe> thanks for your help, G, puercha, unicornjane
22:05  * srevilak will post transcript