January 3rd, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. Members/supporters mailing
  2. Review of planned 2013 events/activities
  3. Review of organization
  4. Review of budget
  5. Senate race

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

  1. Members/supporters mailing
    1. Mailing list done
    2. Mailing party got letters folded and members done
    3. Members letters in the mail
    4. Supporter letters out this weekend
  2. Review of planned 2013 events/activities:
    1. Continuing what we have done
      1. Pirate Info Conference - some progress on possible sites
      2. Together Boston music festival is week of May 18th (http://togetherboston.com/)
      3. Boston Pride Festival on Sat. June 8th (http://www.bostonpride.org/calendar/)
      4. Freedom Rally on Boston Common
      5. CryptoParty
    2. New events
      1. Pirate Planning/Issue Conference?
      2. Security BSides
      3. CryptoCurrencies Conference (such as this one, have four people who are interested in working on it)
      4. Wake up the Earth Festival in JP on Sat., May 4th (http://www.spontaneouscelebrations.org/cultural-programming/festivals-and-events.html)
      5. Pax East which is March 22-24th. They are looking for submissions (http://panels.paxsite.com/), though they do focus on computer gaming. They don't have any tables available for non-gaming groups and are rather expensive. Perhaps we should have a party in one of the hotel rooms and hand out invites. Could have folks wearing t-shirts that say: Ask me how the Pirate Party is protecting your freedom"?
      6. AnimeBoston which is May 24-26th.
      7. Digital Media Conference & Grassroots Use of Technology Conference possibly
  3. Review of organization
    1. How can we be better organized?
    2. Need committees? Which ones if so?
  4. Review of budget. Here is what we adopted for 2012


  • srevilak - Steve Revilak, Arlington
  • SplendidSpoon - Lauren Pespisa - Boxboro currently
  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • black_van - sevan, south end
  • Kit - Kit Walsh, Cambridge
  • dto


  • cmal
  • cto
  • TeamColtra
  • peerate - briefly


Members/supporters mailing

Mailing done by this weekend

2013 events/activities

Folks were supportive of the list of events we would run/sponsor. Perhaps having a conference outside Boston be a cryptoparty.

Folks were supportive of the new events, but, as Kit noted, messaging will be particularly important if we go to something like Anime Boston.

Whatever we do for PaxEast, it won't be a table or something in the goodie bags.

James will put together a calendar.

Meeting Minutes


[12:02] <@jokeefe> current agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=January_3rd,_2013_IRC_Meeting [12:02] <@jokeefe> previous ones at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=Agendas_%26_Meeting_Minutes [12:03] <@jokeefe> Call for ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville [12:03] <@srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington [12:03] <+black_van> sevan, south end [12:03] <@SplendidSpoon> Lauren Pespisa - Boxboro currenty [12:04] <@jokeefe> feel free to give as much or as little info as you want peerate [12:04] == peerate [~root@5.231.nv.wvt] has quit [Quit: leaving] [12:05] <@jokeefe> So 1. Members/supporters mailing [12:06] <@srevilak> Are all letters out? Any responses yet? [12:06] <@jokeefe> members/supporters mailed on the 31st [12:07] <@jokeefe> I know one person got it in yesterday's mail. [12:07] <+black_van> nice [12:07] <+feedbot> [Twitter] masspirates: IRC meeting starting #masspirates at https://t.co/y6oo9T0j - http://twitter.com/masspirates/statuses/286880086160969728 [12:07] <@jokeefe> Have to mail petition signers. Found a pdf of voter reg. form that was editable so will include that. [12:08] <@jokeefe> Hoping to have it done this weekend. [12:08] <@jokeefe> out by monday. [12:08] <@jokeefe> at latest [12:09] <@SplendidSpoon> I got it yesterday [12:09] <@jokeefe> thanks for everyone's help in writing it/stuffing envelopes/etc. [12:09] <@jokeefe> great [12:09] <@srevilak> jokeefe: let me know if you need mailing help [12:09] <@jokeefe> thanks [12:10] <@jokeefe> So should ask: is there anything that should be on the agenda that isn't? [12:10] <@srevilak> senate race? [12:12] <@jokeefe> sure [12:13] <@jokeefe> high priority? [12:13] <@jokeefe> Item 2. Review of planned 2013 events/activities [12:13] <@srevilak> more like a crazy idea I had this morning. [12:14] <@jokeefe> oh what idea would that be? [12:14] <@srevilak> running a senate candidate. I have no idea what's involved, but it might turn heads. [12:15] <@srevilak> anyway, I shouldn't muck up the agenda [12:15] <+black_van> more than likely noone would pay attention [12:15] <@jokeefe> actually our articles of agreement prevent us from running anyone statewide until we have 1% of all voters in our party. [12:16] <@jokeefe> not that we cannot send out a survey and post the responses. [12:16] == Kit [webchat@ljsc-354-956-977-63.fas.harvard.edu] has joined #masspirates [12:16] == mode/#masspirates [+v Kit] by [4Q] [12:16] <@jokeefe> hi Kit [12:16] == mode/#masspirates [+l 15] by [4Q] [12:16] <@jokeefe> Agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=January_3rd,_2013_IRC_Meeting, we are on item 2 [12:16] <+Kit> Hi Jamie & all [12:17] <@jokeefe> So, on the Continuing what we have done subitem - is there any objection to running/participating in these events again (Together, Pride, Freedom Rally require $) [12:18] <@srevilak> no objection here [12:18] <@SplendidSpoon> same [12:18] <+Kit> no objection [12:19] <@jokeefe> For Pride we need to decide whether we want to have do the Parade & table or just be in the Parade. [12:19] <@jokeefe> And if we want a float or be a group of marchers. [12:19] <@jokeefe> Price is the same. [12:19] <@jokeefe> Just cars/trucks are more. [12:20] <@jokeefe> black_van? [12:20] <@srevilak> how'd we do tabling at last year's parade? [12:21] <@SplendidSpoon> marching was tiring [12:21] <+black_van> i offered my stepvan, but i am hoping to have sold it by then [12:21] <@SplendidSpoon> and fun [12:21] <@SplendidSpoon> but I wouldn't want to table after [12:21] <@SplendidSpoon> but others mighr [12:21] <@jokeefe> David worked it while we marched, but he was tired when we arrived and no one was able to run it once we arrived. [12:21] <+black_van> that ws my exp [12:22] <@jokeefe> perhaps we should just focus on the parade and making sure we have enough fliers/coins go give out. [12:22] <@jokeefe> ? [12:22] <@SplendidSpoon> yea probably [12:22] <@srevilak> okay by me [12:23] <+black_van> we might also want to have a very specific, targeted msg [12:23] <@jokeefe> agreed [12:23] <+black_van> that will get people to think oh, i didn't even know this thing was an issue [12:23] <+Kit> having some chants prepared would be fun and effective [12:23] <+Kit> especially relating to specific issues that are in play at the time we march [12:24] <+Kit> last year the anarchists marching right in front of us were (ironically) really well-organized about this type of stuff, with chants and signs [12:25] <@jokeefe> "Where would LBGT rights be if the government could identify and spy on everyone who was gay in 1970?" [12:25] <@SplendidSpoon> yea but I think they put off th crowd too [12:25] <+Kit> I'd say that if someone can commit to running the table, it would be useful, but if no one will commit then to just focus on the march [12:25] <@SplendidSpoon> because they had a sign that said "NO PRIDE...in capitalizm" [12:25] <@SplendidSpoon> but everyone saw NO PRIDE [12:26] <@SplendidSpoon> then when they saw happy pirates they cheered again [12:26] <@SplendidSpoon> so we shouldn't be to militant like that [12:26] <+Kit> Agreed! Be positive [12:26] <@SplendidSpoon> bc gay pride is supposed to be fun [12:26] <+black_van> yeah lets not get near the anarchocommunists this year if possible [12:26] <@SplendidSpoon> lol [12:26] <@jokeefe> having focused 1/3 page fliers to give out could work. [12:27] <@jokeefe> if we go with govt. surveillance then could have links to tools to use. [12:27] <+black_van> i like that [12:28] <@jokeefe> coins could have "In Pirates we trust" on them [12:28] <+black_van> it'd be fun of some people played characters like a spying government agent [12:28] <+Kit> I just had a mental image of draping an eyepatch over a surveillance camera as a symbol of pirates protecting your privacy. please steal P-) [12:28] <+black_van> adn then the pirates could run interference [12:28] <@jokeefe> lol, black_van, great idea [12:28] <+feedbot> [Twitter] masspirates: Yes, nor can we RT @onekade: Still can't get over this story. http://t.co/eWg5mJkT - http://twitter.com/masspirates/statuses/286885922161713152 [12:29] <@jokeefe> good idea, Kit, that could go on our signs. [12:29] <+black_van> that would look awesome [12:29] <@jokeefe> so we seem to be agreed that we should do the events we just did. [12:30] <@jokeefe> Is anyone signed up to the Security BSides conference? Do we want to sponsor something small like beverages ($250)? We would get a table. [12:31] <@jokeefe> It is at http://www.securitybsides.com/w/page/12194141/BSidesBoston [12:31] <+black_van> are we cheaping track of bang for our buck at these conferences? [12:31] <+black_van> keeping* [12:32] <@jokeefe> what metric would you use? [12:32] <+black_van> like new sign ups, page views, etc [12:32] <+black_van> new twitter followers maybe [12:32] <+black_van> im not sure [12:32] == TeamColtra [~teamcoltr@rah-481-961-42-410.buffalo.res.rr.com] has joined #masspirates [12:32] == mode/#masspirates [+v TeamColtra] by [4Q] [12:33] == mode/#masspirates [+l 16] by [4Q] [12:33] <@jokeefe> all good data. should track those better, fliers given out, and $ raised, new volunteers [12:33] <@jokeefe> hi TeamColtra [12:33] <+TeamColtra> Hey jokeefe [12:33] <@jokeefe> black_van would you write up a brief standard ops to follow and email it to the list? [12:34] <@jokeefe> Sec. BSides seems like a very receptive audience [12:35] <+black_van> for tracking uptake? [12:35] <@jokeefe> yes [12:35] <+black_van> sure, added to my to-do list [12:36] <@jokeefe> thanks! [12:36] <@jokeefe> What about the other events listed under New events at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=January_3rd,_2013_IRC_Meeting do they sound good? [12:36] <@jokeefe> srevilak suggested we have a 2nd conf outside Boston (say Worcester/Spfield) [12:37] <+black_van> i wonder if we want to tap into the entrepeneur community in bostno and cambridge [12:37] <@jokeefe> I we have a possible site for the cryptocurrencies conf and there are four people who want to work on it. [12:37] <@srevilak> goal there: maybe reach some folks from other side of state. [12:37] <+black_van> especially if we want astroturfing [12:38] <@jokeefe> always good to reach out. [12:38] <+black_van> they have conferences every week [12:38] <+black_van> we could probably find one in an industry that is relevant [12:39] <+black_van> i'll keep an eye out [12:39] <@srevilak> black_van: you mean an entrepeneur conference? [12:40] <+TeamColtra> I have been meaning to suggest that you guys try to get some events going (or people in) Cambridge, since they use proportional representation and so getting a base there would be a very good idea :) [12:40] <+black_van> yeah, an entrepeneur conference. [12:41] <@jokeefe> good idea, TeamColtra, one of my objectives is to start a local chapter in Somerville/Cambridge area. [12:41] <+Kit> Maybe we could do a western mass or mid-state cryptoparty to reach those people who aren't local to the first one [12:41] <@jokeefe> Hoping to do that in Jan. [12:42] <@jokeefe> that would be a good idea. would need to find a place, presenters and reach out to groups to tell them about it. [12:42] <@srevilak> mid-state cryptoparty could be done instead of a mid-state conference [12:43] <@jokeefe> true. [12:43] <@srevilak> either should serve purpose of reaching people. [12:43] <+black_van> jokeefe when you guys have these events nailed down let me know so I can send press releases and try to get some reporters to come [12:44] <+Kit> Regarding AnimeBoston - if we do something there it would be good to focus on creative commons licensing for creators or on fanfic as fair use because I think there's a risk of people's first reaction being that we'll be all about pirating anime and not supporting creators. [12:44] <+Kit> that might be true to a lesser extent of Pax, as well [12:45] <@jokeefe> true [12:45] <+black_van> what about also promoting crowd funding? financing work before making it [12:46] <+Kit> Yes, that's a good topic as well! Everything relating to alternative models of cultural production that don't require control or monitoring of what people read/watch would be good to talk about in my opinion [12:47] <@srevilak> I like it [12:47] <+black_van> \m/ [12:47] <@jokeefe> as doctorow would say: obscurity is more of a problem for creators as it is difficult to make money if you are unknown. [12:47] <@jokeefe> ++Kit [12:48] <@jokeefe> Re: anime - https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110204/23401312975/japanese-government-study-shows-anime-piracy-could-boosts-sales.shtml [12:49] <@jokeefe> and https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20081130/2124212974.shtml [12:49] <+Kit> are there any good case studies in the video games arena of work getting kickstarted and then being released open-source or something similar? [12:49] <+Kit> that could be of interest at PAX [12:50] <@jokeefe> not sure about that. kickstarter is still pretty new. know some games were funded by them, but haven't heard the results. [12:50] <+Kit> The ones I've seen generally treat is as pre-orders, and then go on to sell the final product for more money [12:50] <@srevilak> For later reading (maybe): http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/video-games/how-kickstarter-lets-fans-control-the-future-of-video-games-9285156 [12:50] <+black_van> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_funding_in_video_games [12:51] <@jokeefe> though there are humble bundles [12:51] <+Kit> The only example I know of is a pen-and-paper RPG, "Fate Core," which is crowdfunding now and will release as CC-BY, pay-what-you-want [12:51] <+black_van> wasteland 2 seems like a viable candidate [12:51] <+Kit> Yeah, pay-what-you-want in a humble bundle is an interesting case study [12:52] <@jokeefe> of course big game companies copy too - http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120126/11382017554/tiny-gamemaker-takes-right-approach-to-giant-zynga-copying-its-game-it-thanks-them.shtml [12:52] <@jokeefe> so in terms of the new events, are folks supportive of trying to participate in them? [12:53] <@srevilak> aye [12:53] == dto [~user@rzwn-29-030-90-41.bstnma.fios.verizon.net] has joined #masspirates [12:53] == mode/#masspirates [+v dto] by [4Q] [12:53] <+dto> hi. [12:53] == mode/#masspirates [+l 17] by [4Q] [12:53] <+Kit> hi dto [12:53] <+black_van> if I can, I will [12:53] <@jokeefe> hi dto [12:53] * srevilak has to go back to lurking mode [12:53] <@jokeefe> k [12:54] <+dto> hi jokeefe, and SplendidSpoon and friends [12:54] <+Kit> I will be unable to attend Pax East this year, and notice that the deadline to submit panel events is tomorrow. But maybe next year? and maybe there will be more case studies by then [12:55] <@jokeefe> agreed. I will be at it. Even encouraging members to wear a PP t-shirt specific for pax might be a good thing. [12:55] <@jokeefe> is anyone interested in helping with a CryptoCurrencies Conference? [12:55] <@jokeefe> besides me and black_van [12:56] <+Kit> I am supportive of the new events, with the caveat I gave earlier that messaging will be particularly important if we go to something like Anime Boston [12:56] <@jokeefe> very good point. [12:56] <+black_van> Wasteland 2 was announced as a Kickstarter project to develop a sequel to the 1988 role-playing video game, Wasteland, a spiritual predecessor to the Fallout series. The effort was backed by several of the game's original developers now under the development company inXile Entertainment. It successfully raised more than $2.9 million from an initial goal of $1 million, allowing them to co-develop the game with members from Obsidian [12:58] <@jokeefe> looks like they have a "Wasteland 2 Donation - DRM-Free Digital Download" [12:58] <@jokeefe> so that is promising [12:59] <@jokeefe> they still have tiers which is good to get more people to sign on. [12:59] <+black_van> the prizes for video gamesare always so cool [13:02] <+black_van> jokeefe we still need to meet with shawn to discuss our foia requests, maybe we can come up with a rough outline for our cryptoparty then also [13:02] <+dto> sorry im late to the discussion, are you guys operating a table at pax? [13:05] <@jokeefe> sadly not, too expensive and they are looking for gaming groups. thinking about what we can do at it. got any suggestions? [13:05] <@jokeefe> I know I will be at it dto [13:05] <@jokeefe> black_van, agreed. [13:06] <+black_van> ok, i gotta run. peace everyone. [13:06] <+Kit> have a good one [13:07] <+dto> jokeefe: not sure. let me think [13:07] == black_van [webchat@p-59-92-29-53.hsd9.ma.comcast.net] has quit [Quit: Web client closed] [13:08] <@jokeefe> thanks [13:10] <+dto> i suppose we could discuss the impact of walled gardens on independent gaming [13:10] <+dto> but we'd be preaching primarily to the people who've already been making money off of the app store model [13:10] <@jokeefe> My family and I talked about getting members who were going to attend to wear the same Pirate Party T-Shirt. [13:10] <@jokeefe> i had suggested something on the back like "ask me how the Pirate Party protects your freedoms", but my family liked something like "Pirate Party: Share more than just your hight scores" [13:11] <@jokeefe> true, dto, but the people (as opposed to the vendors) attending hopefully have different ideas. [13:12] <+dto> good point. [13:12] <@jokeefe> Could do a mobile free wifi. [13:12] <@jokeefe> even better if we encrypt everything.

Discussion continued on to other topics.