January 3rd, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Endorsements

Projects

Local Surveillance Ordinances

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign

Campaign Workshops

jokeefe & srevilak are running down some possible workshops:

  • Holyoke
  • Boston

Cryptoparties

Starting Local Chapters

Fundraising & Conference

Will send out a survey to pick the final date in email this week. See last meetings discussion for possible date options.

Projects On Hold For the Moment

Both of these could be topics for future hackathons.

CCTV Camera Map

Together Boston Meshnet

Upcoming Events

  1. 1/21, 2-4pm, Democracy/IT meeting, Arlington
  2. 1/25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty
  3. 1/?, ?, e5 cryptoparty
  4. 3/24, 3-5pm, Annoying Legislators for Freedom: A talk with Alex Marthews, National Director of Restore the 4th, Encuentro 5, 9A Hamilton Place, Boston
  5. 4/15, BSides Boston Conference, Harvard University - Science Center, 1 Oxford St, Cambridge, MA 02138. Call for Papers is open.

Participants

  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • G (G, Lowell)
  • jokeefe_ (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • servobunny (Chris)

Observers

  • david
  • igel
  • papegaai

Summary

E5 Cryptoparty. Around 22 attending, which isn't bad for a weeknight between Christmas and New Years. One of the attendees provided some suggestions, re: how to organize future cryptoparties. We'll discuss on the cryptoparty list.

CCTV mapping tip. Open street map does a nice rendering when you provide camera direction.

MAAPL fight foreclosure campaign. Somerville event with MAAPL had ~ 10 people who were going to try to contest their foreclosure. Several filed affidavits.

Minutes

 
21:01 < jokeefe_> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_3rd,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:01 < papegaai> Title: January 3rd, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:01 < jokeefe_> ids
21:01 < jokeefe_> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < G> G, Lowell
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:03 < jokeefe_> Any additions to the agenda?
21:03 < srevilak> I have one minor think to report, re CCTV map (when
        the time comes)
21:03 < G> negative
21:05 < srevilak> hi servobunny
21:05 < G> ahoy!
21:05 < jokeefe_> ahoy
21:05 < servobunny> yo!
21:06 < jokeefe_> ok, srevilak
21:06 < jokeefe_> Review
21:06 < jokeefe_> e5 Cryptoparty
21:06 < jokeefe_> Seemed to go well
21:07 < jokeefe_> I counted 22 people, which is decent during the holidays
21:07 < jokeefe_> started with threat models and choosing passwords
21:07 < servobunny> I thought it was a very good turn out, numbers wise
21:07 < jokeefe_> then had different breakout sessions
21:08 < servobunny> note to self - don't hand out sheet of paper and
        ask every one to read it to themself
21:08 < jokeefe_> agreed
21:09 < srevilak> one attendee commented (at length) about how he'd
        prefer to see the event organized.
21:09 < servobunny> most likely that was me
21:10 < srevilak> That said, the attendee said he was interested in
        coming to the next event
21:10 < srevilak> servobunny: what's your first name?
21:10 < servobunny> chris
21:10 < srevilak> yes, It was you :)
21:11 < srevilak> I thought the suggestion re: breakout groups by skill
        level would be worth trying
21:12 < jokeefe_> suggest that folks bring the discussion to the
        cryptoparty list
21:12 < srevilak> jokeefe_: sounds good
21:13 < jokeefe_> G: how did protests go on new years eve
21:13 < jokeefe_> ?
21:13 < G> oh those? awful. lol
21:13 < G> the attendance was very low
21:14 < G> i would have thought the Dems would have been more mobile to
        start gearing up the antiwar but.... nah
21:14 < jokeefe_> I think they have bought into the GWoT
21:15 < G> wut?
21:15 < jokeefe_> Global War on Terror?
21:15 < srevilak> global war 'o terror
21:15 < srevilak> yeah, what jokeefe_  said :)
21:16 < G> everyone is sold into it. but now that it is a Repub taking
        office they will start protesting Trump's wars
21:16 < G> lol
21:16 < servobunny> exactly
21:17 < srevilak> Speaking of which, Stephen Lynch may have a challenger
        in 2018
21:17 < srevilak>
        http://www.yourarlington.com/search/news-archive/357-local/7917-area-news.html
21:17 < papegaai> Title: Index of / (at www.yourarlington.com)
21:18 < G> Pirate?
21:18 < jokeefe_> Brianna Wu, that will be interesting
21:18 < jokeefe_> running in the primary
21:18 < G> wtf brb this chat window is pissing me off
21:19 < servobunny> can I ask technical questions?
21:19 < srevilak> sure
21:19 < G> back :)
21:19 < jokeefe_> welcome
21:20 < G> is this person running as a Pirate? this gamer gate lady?
21:20 < jokeefe_> nope, Dem
21:20 < G> well that's lame
21:20 < servobunny> I only have 2gigs of personal data, not counting
        photos/videos, why would I want to encrypt my entire harddrive?
21:21 < G> anything that can be encrypted already has a crack and someone
        already has the key... O:)
21:21 < jokeefe_> makes it harder to decrypt
21:22 < jokeefe_> but you could just encrypt your personal data
21:22 < servobunny> sorry - I have a 3gig volume using VeraCrypt for my
        personal data, why would I want to encrypt my entire harddrive
21:24 < srevilak> servobunny: depends on your level of comfort.  (e.g.,
        are there any applications writing (say) logs outside your Veracrypt
        partition that reveal PI)?
21:25 < servobunny> ok
21:25 < jokeefe_> Projects
21:25 < jokeefe_> Local Surveillance Ordinances
21:26  * srevilak will hopefully be able to set up a meeting with town
        counsel this week
21:27 < jokeefe_> what else about the CCTV map?
21:27 < srevilak> planning to discuss limits of a warrant article, etc.
        Will also try to get a read on whether town is interested in pursuing
        policy, in absense of a warrant article
21:28 < srevilak> CCTV map: 2 items
21:28 < srevilak> Added cctv.masspirates.org to
        https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dsurveillance#Rendering
21:28 < papegaai> Title: Tag:man_made=surveillance - OpenStreetMap Wiki
        (at wiki.openstreetmap.org)
21:28 < jokeefe_> thanks
21:29 < srevilak> (2) OSM does some neat rendering, if you fill in the
        attribute for camera direction
21:30 < srevilak> (end of minor bits, re: cctv map)
21:31 < jokeefe_> I like how you added that to the camera data
21:31 < srevilak> next time we have a talk about mapping cctv cameras,
        I can do a short example with OSMs web interface
21:33 < servobunny> there was an effort, aclu maybe, where people could
        use twitter/snapchat to send in locations of cctv in Boston.  I can try
        and find that web site again
21:33 < jokeefe_> that would be good. Could have the hackathon focus on
        the camera mapping software
21:33 < jokeefe_> #BINJBrother
21:34 < jokeefe_> yeah, that was part of the reason we added
        cctv.masspirates.org
21:34 < jokeefe_> MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign
21:35 < jokeefe_> Somerville event had ten people who were fighting
        their foreclosure. Looks like there will be more
21:36 < srevilak> a couple of people filed affidavits, contesting their
        foreclosures.  Very happy about that
21:36 < jokeefe_> and the software worked so well
21:37 < servobunny> are traffic cameras also mapped/counted?
21:37 < jokeefe_> yes
21:37 < srevilak> servobunny: yes, if someone maps them
21:38 < srevilak> jokeefe_: I'm hoping we can get some use out of
        my.maapl.info going forward
21:38 < jokeefe_> agreed
21:38  * srevilak also has one affidavit bug to fix.  Writes note to
        self on stickie
21:39 < servobunny> what is this foreclosure software people speak of?
21:40 < srevilak> servobunny: data intake system, built with civicrm.
        Basic idea is to collect information, and use that to generate legal
        documents
21:40 < jokeefe_> might be good to see if there is a way to streamline the
        process. remembered how you were able to skip a bunch of pages because
        they didn’t apply. perhaps there could be a checklist that limits the
        pages shown.
21:42 < srevilak> yeah, in retrospect I wish I'd done more with civi
        profiles (as opposed to webform_civirm).
21:43 < srevilak> would likely require more user training, but once
        trained, might be faster to use
21:43 < srevilak> We'll see where things go
21:44 < srevilak> servobunny: ultimate goal of the effort was to help
        people contest illegal foreclosures
21:44 < srevilak> There are lots of them still hanging around from the
2008 financial crisis
21:46 < jokeefe_> G: any update on calling local chapters?
21:47 < G> i'm still stuck on what we are calling them for? we don't seem
        to have our state chapter organized i'm not sure how to call people up
        to emulate our organization
21:48 < jokeefe_> we want them to start local chapters, call people in
        their area and see if they can get them to meet
21:49 < G> shouldn't we get our meetings built up first?
21:49 < G> there's 4 of us here
21:50 < jokeefe_> need to decentralize more
21:51 < jokeefe_> state meetings once a week only go so far
21:51 < jokeefe_> need people organizing locally
21:52 < jokeefe_> does what work?
21:52 < G> i do not see how that works, no
21:53 < G> how many members are we?
21:53 < jokeefe_> 400+
21:53 < G> so only 1% of us turn into IRC?
21:54 < jokeefe_> today, other times it is twice that
21:56 < jokeefe_> so we have people who said they wanted to start local
        chapters
21:56 < jokeefe_> time to take them up on that offer
21:56 < jokeefe_> encourage them
21:57 < G> i'm not encouraged. i don't see a party being built. i see
        projects that are not political
21:57 < jokeefe_> give them tools, or skills, contact lists and say go:
        organize locally
21:57 < jokeefe_> keep in touch with them
21:57 < G> so i don't know what to tell people. if someone asks me
        "what are the MAs sPirates doing" i say... helping the MAAPL i guess
21:57 < jokeefe_> so they have someone to answer their questions or
        give advice
21:59 < jokeefe_> What have we done: trained people to be candidates,
        supported candidates, helped people protect their privacy from the NSA,
        the Russians or whomever and yes fight the banksters who are trying to
        steel people’s homes with the help of the legislature
21:59 < jokeefe_> not enough?
22:00 < G> what are we doing now? what's our legislative goal?
22:01 < srevilak> we are at time
22:01 < G> Assange is on Hannity right now btw
22:02 < jokeefe_> thanks
22:02 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
22:02 < jokeefe_> lets talk later. email work?
22:02 < jokeefe_> G?
22:02 < G> email me up
22:02 < jokeefe_> will do
22:02 < jokeefe_> 2nd on motion to adjourn
22:02 < G> or FB. i'll be here at the PC watching Assange for the hour
22:03 < jokeefe_> ok
22:03 < jokeefe_> all in favor?
22:03 < srevilak> aye
22:03 < G> aye
22:03 < jokeefe_> srevilak, you have the notes?
22:03 < jokeefe_> aye
22:04 < srevilak> jokeefe_: will do
22:04 < jokeefe_> thanks