January 8th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. Review Somerville Cryptoparty
  2. Aaron Swartz Vigil


  1. Elect new First Officer: Noelani offered to serve at least through next election
  2. Worcester Meeting Poll status: Date choices: Jan 24, 25, 31; Feb 1
  3. PirateCon 2015 Site Review
  4. Upcoming events
    1. March in Boston Pride
    2. Table at Freedom Rally
    3. Others we need to pay for?
  5. Possible Endorsements
    1. Updated laws on police & surveillance
    2. USOC chose Boston to the the US' Olympic host city - Oppose?

Events Summary

  1. Jan. 10, Cryptoparty, Somerville Public Library
  2. Jan. 12, Aaron Schwartz vigil
  3. Jan. 16-19, Arisia at Westin Waterfront, Crypto-panel
  4. Feb. 4, Cryptoparty @ Boston Desktop Linux Users Group
  5. Feb. 14, WMass Cryptoparty (lisbon), Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center, 100 Bigelow Street, Holyoke, MA (http://mghpcc.com/), Snow date is Feb 21st, dates tentative. duration 4 hours. Need to supply our own projector.
  6. May 6, 2015, International Day against DRM

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge


  • jokeefe
  • CaptBlackbeard
  • noe
  • lisbon
  • srevilak


  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby


Reviewed plans for Saturday's Cryptoparty at SPL.

We vote on electing Noe as our new first officer. Five in favor. No opposed. Motion passes. Welcome first officer Noe.

Worcester meeting. Via poll, Jan 24th was most popular date. We'll close voting at 11:59 PM Tuesday night.

PirateCon 2015 site location. Steve needs to contact community church of Boston re: rates. Noe to contact General Assembly. Right now, we want rates for a Saturday 10-6 and 10-10, with 30 minutes on either side for setup/cleanup.

Events with registration fees: Pride, Freedom rally. Perhaps run these as fundraising campaigns? (i.e., fundraise, with specific goal of funding registration)

We will get a list of the bills we should review, and then go from there. BPCAT has this one http://www.bpcat.org/national-reports-and-studies

We will put up a post with some of our concerns about the Olympics coming to Boston and ask for their opinion and info so we can make a good decision.



[9:00pm] jokeefe: Agenda at https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_8th,_2015_IRC_Meeting [9:01pm] CaptBlackbeard: ahoy! [9:02pm] lisbon: Interesting agenda this week [9:02pm] CaptBlackbeard: just fyi Cap'n, I may be in and out tonight alil bit... have alot going on but im here [9:02pm] jokeefe: no worries. want to keep meeting to an hour [9:03pm] lisbon: I have to disconnect for just a moment... [9:03pm] lisbon left the chat room. (Client Quit) [9:03pm] noe: IDs? [9:04pm] CaptBlackbeard: Adam Seaman, Southwick [9:04pm] lisbon joined the chat room. [9:04pm] lisbon: back [9:04pm] jokeefe: thanks, noe [9:04pm] jokeefe: ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville [9:05pm] noe: Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville [9:05pm] lisbon: Christopher Maria - Ludlow [9:05pm] srevilak joined the chat room. [9:05pm] jokeefe: ahoy srevilak [9:05pm] noe: ahoy! [9:05pm] jokeefe: Agenda at https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_8th,_2015_IRC_Meeting [9:05pm] lisbon: Greetings [9:05pm] jokeefe: ids, srevilak [9:06pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA [9:06pm] jokeefe: Review [9:06pm] jokeefe: Somerville Cryptoparty [9:07pm] jokeefe: srevilak doing first session. Kevin at SPL doing Tor. Noe recording. [9:07pm] jokeefe: will confirm with Kevin. [9:07pm] srevilak: ok [9:08pm] jokeefe: any other points we need to clarify? [9:08pm] srevilak: any special things to bring, beyond extension cords? [9:09pm] jokeefe: Ethernet? I’ll bring a projector if needed, but I think they have one. will confirm. [9:10pm] srevilak: I presume SPL has wireless access, yes? [9:10pm] jokeefe: yes [9:10pm] jokeefe: anything else? [9:11pm] jokeefe: moving on - Aaron Swartz Vigil - who will be there? [9:11pm] jokeefe: 4pm, Boston, Dewey Sq. [9:12pm] jokeefe: I am planning to be there. [9:12pm] noe: 1/12-next week Monday [9:12pm] noe: I can't get out of work early enough. [9:12pm] • srevilak is in same boat as noe [9:13pm] lisbon: I wish I could, I need to move closer to the boston area someday [9:13pm] jokeefe: ok, I will carry the flag. no worries. [9:13pm] jokeefe: any other review items? [9:13pm] noe: what do we think attendance will be? [9:14pm] jokeefe: 10+ [9:14pm] noe: I know I have been telling people that it is happening and forwarding emails, but I am unsure of headcount. [9:14pm] noe: That sounds awesome! [9:14pm] jokeefe: depends how cold it is [9:15pm] noe: Ooh! It looks like a warm 24-11 F. [9:15pm] jokeefe: short vigil? [9:16pm] noe: maybe not? i mean, that is warm compared to earlier this morning. [9:16pm] noe: need to put space age warm materials in those fawkes masks [9:16pm] • srevilak biked to work today. Truck's tires were frozen to pavement [9:17pm] srevilak: yes, was chilly [9:17pm] lisbon: this morning I dumped boiling water out my kitchen window and it was solid before it hit the ground [9:17pm] jokeefe: yikes all around [9:17pm] jokeefe: Moving on to Decisions [9:17pm] jokeefe: Elect new First Officer [9:18pm] jokeefe: noe would like to be considered - would you say a few words [9:18pm] jokeefe: ? [9:18pm] noe: hi all! I've been involved with Pirates in the area for about two years now. [9:19pm] noe: I've gotten to volunteer and run as a Pirate in Somerville and I really enjoy working with other Pirates in areas like social justice and personal freedom. [9:20pm] noe: If elected, I'd like to work on getting some of our rules related to working out personal conflicts hammered out a bit more. [9:20pm] noe: Thanks for giving me the floor. [9:20pm] jokeefe: thank you [9:20pm] jokeefe: any questions of noe? [9:21pm] CaptBlackbeard: personal conflicts? [9:21pm] noe: Yup. Specifically, Pirate to Pirate conflicts and how we handle them as a group. [9:22pm] srevilak: CaptBlackbeard: we had an incident a few weeks ago, where we had to invoke our code of conduct [9:22pm] srevilak: I believe there were a few aspects of the incident that weren't addressed by code of conduct [9:23pm] srevilak: Is that a fair summary? [9:23pm] noe: But also, in simple things, such as while campaigning, I noticed that we don't really have official guidelines for stuff like reimbursing campaign purchases. [9:24pm] srevilak: would our reimbursement guidelines differ from OCPF reimbursement guidelines? [9:24pm] noe: Or, not that I noticed? [9:25pm] jokeefe: we haven’t had much of a need to reimburse peope in the past. [9:25pm] noe: Nope! They should be the same, but ideally someday we'd field enough candidates that we would need to pass that information internally. [9:25pm] srevilak: true - there's no harm in outlining a process [9:25pm] srevilak: could even be helpful [9:26pm] jokeefe: any other questions? [9:27pm] srevilak: none here [9:27pm] jokeefe: motion to vote to elect noe as first officer? [9:28pm] srevilak: motion [9:28pm] srevilak: second? [9:28pm] lisbon: I second [9:29pm] jokeefe: ok, all in favor of electing noe as first officer? [9:29pm] srevilak: aye [9:29pm] lisbon: aye [9:29pm] jokeefe: aye [9:30pm] noe: aye :0 [9:30pm] jokeefe: any opposed? [9:31pm] jokeefe: any abstain? [9:32pm] jokeefe: motion passes - welcome first officer noe [9:32pm] srevilak: congrats [9:32pm] CaptBlackbeard: aye in favor [9:32pm] noe: hi all! [9:32pm] jokeefe: Worcester Meeting Poll status: Date choices: Jan 24, 25, 31; Feb 1 - srevilak, have you checked the votes? [9:33pm] srevilak: There are three votes [9:33pm] srevilak: 1/24 is most frequently picked choice [9:34pm] jokeefe: thank you. would rather get this right so suggest having vote in a week, and will promote the date more widely, does that work for folks? [9:35pm] jokeefe: or does that not give us enough time to tell people. [9:35pm] srevilak: having vote in a week? [9:35pm] srevilak: Do you mean closing the vote? [9:35pm] srevilak: (for worcester dates) [9:35pm] jokeefe: yes, closing vote [9:36pm] noe: (i think that should be enough time) [9:36pm] srevilak: IMHO, close vote on 12th (Monday) [9:37pm] jokeefe: compromise - midnight Tuesday? [9:38pm] srevilak: works for me [9:38pm] jokeefe: any objections? [9:38pm] srevilak: (small digression: just heard from Kendra, who's having trouble getting on IRC. She's available to help out @ Sat. cryptoparty) [9:39pm] jokeefe: ok [9:39pm] noe: I'm excited to see her! Haven't seen her since 2014. [9:39pm] jokeefe: midnight Tuesday it is then. [9:40pm] jokeefe: Will post something about it. [9:40pm] jokeefe: next up - PirateCon 2015 Site Review [9:40pm] srevilak: I need to contact CCB, re: rates. Will do this tomorrow [9:40pm] jokeefe: thank you. any word from District Hall, noe? [9:41pm] noe: Nope. I will call and poke them more, but I think their interns were university students who didn't get back yet. [9:41pm] jokeefe: thank you. [9:42pm] srevilak: For piratecon, I'm assuming 10-6 on a Saturday, w/ 30 min on either side for setup/cleanup? [9:42pm] noe: I hope to get a living, breathing, sentient being tomorrow. [9:42pm] srevilak: (since duration usually affects booking rate) [9:42pm] jokeefe: do we want to go later or make the evening a social event? [9:43pm] jokeefe: how about get rates for 10-6 & 10-10 with 30 minutes on either end [9:43pm] srevilak: that works [9:43pm] noe: ok (taking notes on that now) [9:44pm] jokeefe: thanks [9:44pm] jokeefe: Upcoming events - any beyond Pride & Freedom Rally to pay for? Together Boston? [9:46pm] srevilak: Re: upcoming events - how would folks feel about running one of them as a fundraising campaign? [9:46pm] jokeefe: I can reach out to Together Boston to see what help they need - it was early May in 2014 [9:46pm] jokeefe: how about both? [9:46pm] jokeefe: you mean like a kickstarter? [9:47pm] srevilak: I don't know if we could use kickstarter, but that's kind of the idea [9:47pm] noe: like a, send us to Pride kickstarter? [9:47pm] noe: or a send us to pride indiegogo? [9:47pm] srevilak: "we'd like to table at Freedom Rally, and need $300 for registration. Can you help?" [9:47pm] noe: I think that could make sense. [9:47pm] noe: And hey, if we don't ask, we definitely don't get anything, but if we do ask, we'll at least get something, if only awareness. [9:48pm] srevilak: In other words, ask for money, for a specific purpose [9:48pm] lisbon: What is the policy on donations from minors (like myself) ? [9:48pm] srevilak: lisbon: sorry, you must be 18 [9:48pm] lisbon: Someday... [9:48pm] jokeefe: well, they have a $25 limit. [9:48pm] jokeefe: IIRC [9:49pm] jokeefe: that limitation wasn’t reversed by citizen’s united [9:49pm] srevilak: hmm, I do remember a $25 limit. [9:49pm] srevilak: jokeefe: (citizens united) [9:50pm] CaptBlackbeard left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed) [9:50pm] jokeefe: thanks for the correction. [9:50pm] lisbon: I notice that the online donation tool requires that you are 18, so I assume the only way for me to donate would be by mail? [9:50pm] jokeefe: likely since it needs a credit card. [9:51pm] lisbon: no bitcoin? [9:51pm] jokeefe: <hangs head in shame> been on our todo list [9:52pm] jokeefe: so a campaign idea sounds good. lets figure it out soon. [9:52pm] lisbon: how would one properly record bitcoin transactions though? [9:52pm] jokeefe: there are tools that allow you to specify a $ amount, translate that into bitcoin, do the transaction. we just need to get contact info. [9:52pm] lisbon: Shall we move on to possible endorsements? [9:53pm] jokeefe: yes [9:53pm] lisbon: jokeefe, ok, that sounds like a good option [9:54pm] jokeefe: there are a set of proposed laws dealing with police oversight and surveillance. [9:54pm] lisbon: What are these "update laws on police & surveillance" specifically [9:55pm] jokeefe: body cameras, laws limiting drones, a whole host of them from different groups that will go before the legislature [9:55pm] jokeefe: think we should review them before endorsing. [9:55pm] srevilak: I agree [9:55pm] lisbon: Where can I find more info? [9:56pm] srevilak: for myself, I need to read legislation before endorsing [9:56pm] noe: i agree. do we have the list available now? or should we post a link and let people read them to talk about next week? [9:56pm] srevilak: could do a web poll? [9:56pm] jokeefe: Not sure they are all available yet. [9:57pm] lisbon: I would greatly appreciate a link (If available) in conjunction with a poll [9:57pm] jokeefe: agreed [9:57pm] noe: I know Boston Police Camera Action Team released an official policy to endorse for the BPD recently at: http://www.bpcat.org/national-reports-and-studies [9:58pm] jokeefe: I think that is one of them. [9:58pm] srevilak: I was thinking: <link to legislation> []yes []no []no opinion, comments: [9:58pm] jokeefe: maybe a comment period first, then vote later. bills won’t be reviewed for months likely [9:59pm] lisbon: I agree with jokeefe [9:59pm] noe: the BPCAT policy will probably be reworked into a series of compromises. [9:59pm] jokeefe: well we can always say what we like and don’t like. [9:59pm] srevilak: agreed [10:00pm] jokeefe: so first step - get the docs, then go from there [10:00pm] jokeefe: USOC chose Boston to the the US' Olympic host city [10:00pm] jokeefe: keep this in mind - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/08/boston-us-candidate-host-2024-olympics-rights-violated [10:01pm] srevilak: I have mixed feelings. Let me explain [10:01pm] noe: For the Drone stuff, we might have to keep our ears to the ground at CSAIL at MI [10:01pm] srevilak: This evening, I went to a meeting of Nuestra communidad, http://nuestracdc.org/about-us/overview-and-mission [10:01pm] noe: MIT: the Cybersecurity Policy Initiative might put something out. [10:01pm] srevilak: Community development corporation based in dudley, Sq. Focuses on community development, and preventing gentrification [10:02pm] srevilak: One of the speakers was a fellow named Barros, Boston's director of economic development [10:02pm] srevilak: He was very excited about this. His take: [10:02pm] srevilak: it's not "how does boston host the olympics". [10:03pm] srevilak: Rather "what does boston get out of hosting the olympics" [10:03pm] noe: debt? [10:03pm] noe: (sorry to be glib, but yeah, that's what tends to happen to host cities) [10:03pm] srevilak: I think he was mostly thinking of transporation infrastructure improvements [10:03pm] jokeefe: lol, noe [10:04pm] jokeefe: Do the Olympic Games generate profits? - http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/olympic-games-generate-profit.htm [10:04pm] srevilak: but he does have a point. Could have long term benefit, or long term detriment [10:04pm] noe: oooh! i like the idea of better transportation, but i think to have that, we have to get rid of existing housing. [10:04pm] srevilak: Here's the catch [10:04pm] noe: its how we got i93 through somerville [10:05pm] srevilak: Guy making that pitch has a history with community development orgs in Roxbury/Dorchester [10:05pm] srevilak: which are focused on opposition to gentrification, and keeping existing residents in the city [10:06pm] srevilak: THis is why I'm torn. [10:07pm] jokeefe: who pays this guy? [10:07pm] srevilak: he works for the walsh administration [10:07pm] lisbon: I personally think that debt is not a major issue right now and it has not gotten to that point yet but will eventually need to be a priority. However, I still think that is is a bad idea to host it here. It is not at all aligned with the commonwealth's priorities. Infrastructure improvements would be interesting though. [10:07pm] jokeefe: I think that colors his perspective. [10:08pm] noe: i would also love infrastructure improvements, but without the oh-no-lympics. [10:08pm] srevilak: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/02/10/barros-named-boston-chief-economic-development/j83pJg9IIuXek152uy7FdO/story.html [10:09pm] lisbon: How many venues would even be necessary for an event of this size? [10:09pm] jokeefe: I agree on infrastructure improvements, but don’t think we need the olympics to get it. [10:09pm] noe: (too many for Boston, we'll definitely need New Hampshire and Rhode Island) [10:09pm] noe: (maybe we can call it the New England Olympics?) [10:09pm] jokeefe: or at least other parts of Mass. [10:10pm] noe: well, western mass can be further away in terms of getting athletes there rather than our close neighbors who have fancy stadiums. [10:10pm] jokeefe: how about we look up some useful articles, then put a post up asking for comments and suggestions. [10:10pm] lisbon: It would be beneficial to put some in western mass. [10:11pm] noe: i think springfield could definitely use a boost from the oh-no-lympics. [10:12pm] jokeefe: we are past time. [10:12pm] srevilak: Speaking for myself, I need something specific to support or oppose [10:12pm] srevilak: motion to adjourn [10:12pm] noe: second! [10:13pm] jokeefe: so post info on the olympics and ask for comment? [10:13pm] lisbon: sounds good [10:13pm] jokeefe: <hold> [10:13pm] noe: sounds great! [10:13pm] srevilak: jokeefe: I think that's reasonable [10:13pm] jokeefe: srevilak? [10:13pm] jokeefe: ok [10:13pm] jokeefe: all in favor of adjourning? [10:13pm] jokeefe: thanks [10:13pm] lisbon: aye [10:13pm] srevilak: jokeefe: as I arrived late, can you post transcript? [10:13pm] jokeefe: sure [10:14pm] srevilak: thx [10:14pm] jokeefe: aye [10:14pm] noe: aye [10:14pm] lisbon: Good night everyone [10:14pm] lisbon left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed) [10:14pm] noe: g'nite! [10:14pm] jokeefe: motion passes. thanks all [10:14pm] jokeefe: night