January 9th, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

2018

Decisions/Endorsements

Define issue: Building Individual Autonomy and Control

Pirate pad

Projects

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Update Platform

Regional Meetings

Election Campaigns

Video Newsletter

Tech/Outreach

  • find discussion/voting system
  • update blog theme
  • update civicrm software
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Statements

  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. - This never got out of committee and 115th Congress is done.

Mesh Net

Cryptoparties

CCTV camera map

Other To Dos

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Computer Donations

On hold until next week - https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 1/8, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 1/15, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 1/30?, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
  • igel[m]: william fleurant, arlington

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • davidd
  • Mikaela_Suomalainen
  • bonelesspepsi[m]

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:00pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/January_9th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
[9:00pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:00pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:00pm] Malt: Same, hi Desmond
[9:00pm] Malt: Sam capradae
[9:00pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:00pm] Malt: Worcester
[9:00pm] Malt: Nyet
[9:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:01pm] DesmondRavenstone: Ahoy! Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
[9:01pm] Pirate_Joe: Yes, reporter for SWR
[9:02pm] jokeefe: great.
[9:02pm] jokeefe: Review: 2018
[9:02pm] igel[m]: william fleurant arlington
[9:02pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:03pm] jokeefe: We held our party conference, helped with mass mesh net, six or so cryptoparties
[9:03pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Two petitions
[9:04pm] DesmondRavenstone: Senate billed died as Congress went out of session (but may be revived); petition for moratorium on sex work arrests still active, now at 93 signatures
[9:04pm] Malt: Glad to hear the money laundering shit failed
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Aye
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Anything I am missing?
[9:05pm] DesmondRavenstone: For now, at least. Watch for Ann Wagner and company to bring back
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Some campaign trainings
[9:06pm] DesmondRavenstone: Malt got an email from an NPR reporter about the moratorium petition. I'll be responding tomorrow, perhaps set up an interview
[9:06pm] jokeefe: good
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: I did as well
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: I was holding of responding until I discussed it with the committee
[9:07pm] jokeefe: How did the reporter hear about it?
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: If you set up an interview I would like to attend
[9:07pm] Malt: Twitter?
[9:08pm] jokeefe: So is this one reporter or more than one?
[9:09pm] DesmondRavenstone: Probably saw it on Facebook or Twitter; I can CC you on my email to him; his main question now is whether we heard of increased arrests; my answer would be that we didn't base this on statistics but the reality that even the threat of arrests is harmful to sex workers and those associated with them.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Good point. Please cc info@masspirates.org.
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: Probably the one.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Thanks, Pirate_Joe
[9:11pm] Malt: It went to the press email
[9:11pm] DesmondRavenstone: Pirate_Joe, if you have addl thoughts on initial email to him, please email me
[9:11pm] jokeefe: hmmmm….
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: Please also make the distinction between sw& traffic
[9:11pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'll CC Pirate_Joe, press email and info email when I contact the reporter.
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: Ty sir.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: So it did, Malt. I see why I didn’t see it and have fixed it.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Would be good to FOIA statistics on arrests
[9:12pm] Malt: I'm curious where they're taking place
[9:12pm] DesmondRavenstone: Arrests?
[9:12pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Thanks for catching it.
[9:14pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'm sure Boston PD and other depts. are doing stings, mainly targeting would-be clients; any street arrests are either the old Combat Zone or areas of Dorchester and Roxbury.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Thanks, DesmondRavenstone on the cc’s
[9:14pm] DesmondRavenstone: Main taking point to bring home: Arrests don't do any good, they only make them worse.
[9:16pm] Malt: Fosta/sesta empowered pimps
[9:16pm] DesmondRavenstone: I can point out (a) Vancouver and Victoria in British Columbia have increased SWer safety through similar policies (b) a recent 30-year metastudy shows how repressive practices decrease SWer safety and health, including mental health
[9:16pm] DesmondRavenstone: Very true on FOSTA/SESTA, but worse it has driven many SWers back onto the streets by depriving them of means to contact and screen prospective clients
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Thank you.
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Anything other observations about 2018?
[9:19pm] DesmondRavenstone: Do we have stats on voters registered as Pirates? From the Secy of the Commonwealth's office?
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: A good year to get us regrouped
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: To*
[9:20pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:20pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:21pm] jokeefe: DesmondRavenstone: We haven’t.
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: Any way to get them?
[9:21pm] jokeefe: We can ask, but not sure they would be forthcoming
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: Hey, you know the old saying … You don't ask, you don't get!
[9:21pm] Malt: Fair point
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Would be good to get lists from as many cities as we can: Boston, Worcester, Cambridge, Somerville, etc.
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Yes, we should ask
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: Lowell
[9:23pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: 2nd
[9:23pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'm sure they'd at least break it down by county.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Would you draft a letter and we can set it off on letter head/email?
[9:24pm] DesmondRavenstone: Me or Pirate_Joe ?
[9:24pm] jokeefe: You 
[9:25pm] jokeefe: If you would
[9:25pm] DesmondRavenstone: OK
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Thank you
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: I am a bit swamped atm plus my main PC just broke
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: I have been keeping The Capt utd
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: Up to date
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Anything else we should learn from 2018?
[9:29pm] Malt: Trump's crimes are literally bottomless
[9:29pm] Malt: Wage theft surpassed robbery
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Yes
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: More events and more engagement with volunteers
[9:29pm] Malt: Making wage theft a criminal issue might win some attention
[9:29pm] Malt: Right now it's filed under labor disputes
[9:30pm] Malt: Info for 1099 workers to fight misclassification
[9:30pm] jokeefe: More Pirate meet ups would be good
[9:30pm] DesmondRavenstone: YES!
[9:30pm] DesmondRavenstone: Willing to help with any meetup in Boston
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Well, Malt, would you write up a statement and we can put it up?
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: Food will make the event
[9:31pm] Malt: Sure
[9:31pm] DesmondRavenstone: Mmmm foooood
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Thanks, Malt
[9:31pm] Malt: I think I have one already
[9:31pm] Malt: Gimme a bit
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Great
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Food is good
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: Let's try a fund raising dinner!
[9:34pm] jokeefe: If we can organize one.
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: I will look in to it.
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Thank you
[9:34pm] Malt: Let's haveBaked Goods at the freedom rally
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Baked Goods (tm)?
[9:35pm] Malt: Eyebrow waggle
[9:35pm] DesmondRavenstone: I think local meetups with food, plus passing the hat for $$$, will bring in people and increase visibility/awareness of who we are and what we stand for.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Perfect
[9:35pm] DesmondRavenstone: From there, possibly candidates for local office!
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, the food would not be how we make the money
[9:36pm] DesmondRavenstone: Whoever (co-)organizes a local meetup, donate food
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: Free places don't typically allow food.
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: Such as libraries
[9:37pm] jokeefe: leave it up to the local meetup organizers
[9:37pm] DesmondRavenstone: agreed
[9:37pm] DesmondRavenstone: Capital One cafes sell food, plus have meeting space
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: I will look in to it tonight and have a report for the next meeting
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Thanks
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Move on to Decisions/Endorsements?
[9:39pm] Malt: How to run. For office classes would also be good recruiting
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: 2nd
[9:39pm] DesmondRavenstone: Yes
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Looking into that. Need to start calling people to get them to attend
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: Malt, could you organize a class for running for office in your area?
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: The library would be a good spot for that
[9:41pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:42pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:42pm] Malt: I could yes
[9:42pm] Malt: Yes
[9:42pm] Malt: Organize a class that is
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Thanks. Let’s organize one
[9:43pm] Pirate_Joe: If it goes well, perhaps we could schedule a few of them around Boston
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Yes
[9:43pm] DesmondRavenstone: 2nd
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Joe, Lowell too?
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: Of course
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Thanks. But let’s start organizing local meet ups and calling people.
[9:45pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye
[9:45pm] jokeefe: City elections don’t get started until April/May so we have time.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: So:
[9:48pm] Malt: Worc library, also stone soup community center?
[9:48pm] Malt: It's an anarchist space
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Either is nice. though Worc library is wheel chair accessible.  Not sure about stone soup, though we have had events there
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Todo:
[9:49pm] jokeefe: * Organize meetups
[9:49pm] jokeefe: * Organize Fundraiser(s)
[9:50pm] jokeefe: * Organize candidate trainings
[9:50pm] jokeefe: * Revise platform
[9:50pm] jokeefe: good Q1 goals
[9:51pm] Pirate_Joe: Agreed
[9:51pm] Malt: Yeah!
[9:51pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Great
[9:51pm] jokeefe: We are almost at time and I don’t think we have time to decide on the Building Individual Autonomy and Control statement
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Finish with projects
[9:52pm] DesmondRavenstone: So, motion to adjourn?
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Boston Sex Worker Petition - 93 signatures
[9:52pm] Malt: 2nd
[9:52pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:52pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:53pm] DesmondRavenstone: SWer petition, I'll keep updates on activist list
[9:53pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:53pm] Malt: Aye
[9:53pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:53pm] DesmondRavenstone: Incldg NPR reporter
[9:53pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye
[9:53pm] jokeefe: thanks.
[9:53pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Motion passes. I’ll post the notes
[9:53pm] Malt: Night buds!
[9:53pm] Pirate_Joe: Their
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Good night all