Jul 10th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Tasks

  1. Register for Freedom Rally
  2. Plan fundraiser/networking for HOPE X, create flyer, have swag ready to give away
  3. Add MPP blog moderator/contributor Kevin Gallagher
  4. Update on candidate status, campaign strategies

Events

  1. Net Neutrality panel discussion at SCATV, 90 Union Square Somerville, Saturday July 12 1 pm to 2 pm
  2. July 18th-19th. Artbeat
  3. July 18th-20th, Hackers on Planet Earth (HOPE) X, NYC meet and greet
  4. July 25th. DMC Public meeting at the South End Tech Center
  5. July 26th, German-wide Stop Watching US protest
  6. July 29th, Last day to turn in nomination papers for Federal offices to cities & towns
  7. September 13--14th. Freedom Rally (Boston Common)

Participants

  • JCFiero (Jason Fiero)
  • Bluelustreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville, MA)
  • igel (William Fleurant, Arlington MA)
  • K`Tetch

Observers:

  • davidd

Summary

Freedom Rally. Bluestreak has application. $300 registration fee. Bluestreak and JCFiero will register as in-kind donation.

Hope X. We'd like to hold a meet and greet. Planning: https://piratenpad.de/p/hope-xxxxxxxxxx. Lucia and Jason have volunteered their hotel room as a location. We'll need to develop a flyer. May want to participate in Noisy Square activities. Steve to find out more.

Campaign updates. Noe's website being worked on; bank account established. Nothing to report from Joe's campaign. We should start thinking about ways to get Noe and Joe's name out there. Might be an opportunity for candidates to be interviewed on Activiate Radio.

SCAT TV Panel Discussion. https://www.facebook.com/events/662890290456898/. Noe will be moderator.

Artbeat. Happening at the same time as Hope X. Need volunteers to help Noe canvass at Artbeat.

DMC Public Meeting. Would like to get a few people to attend.

Minutes

 
20:57 < Bluelustreak> Agenda at https://masspirates.org/wiki/Jul_10th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
20:58 < Bluelustreak> Ahoy!
20:58 < noe> ahoy!
20:59 < srevilak> evening, all
20:59 < JCFiero> hello 
21:00 < Bluelustreak> Welcome fellow extremists! http://www.techspot.com/news/57316-nsa-classifies-linux-journal-readers-tor-and-tails-linux-users-as-extremists.html 
21:00 < noe> actually, at my workplace, our IT department is suppposed to encourage removal of TOR from work boxes.
21:01 < noe> :(
21:01 < Bluelustreak> We TEACH people all about such things, therefore, we must be an  EXTREMIST ORGANIZATION!
21:01 < Bluelustreak> Whee!
21:02 < noe> I've always wanted to be extremely organized!
21:02 < JCFiero> well that is at work.. but we need to protect our privacy at home for sure..
21:02 < Bluelustreak> LOL Me too!
21:02 < Bluelustreak> She works for Harvard
21:02 < noe> should we do IDs?
21:02 < Bluelustreak> Steve?
21:02 < noe> I think I know everyone here.
21:02 < Bluelustreak> Its for the recod
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:02 < srevilak> https://twitter.com/Purple_Bandanna/status/484870519599398912
21:03 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville, MA
21:03 < Bluelustreak> Lucia Fiero
21:03 < JCFiero> Jason Fiero
21:03 < Bluelustreak> Ahoy igel, ID pla
21:03 < igel> William Fleurant, Arlington MA
21:04 < igel> yaar
21:04 < K`Tetch> holy crap, people!
21:04 < Bluelustreak> We took a break last week
21:04 < srevilak> K`Tetch: is that a good "holy crap", or a bad "holy crap"?
21:04 < Bluelustreak> Two of our officers were OOT
21:05 < Bluelustreak> This week just the cap'n is
21:05 < Bluelustreak> 1st item
21:05 < Bluelustreak> Freedom Rally.
21:05 < srevilak> have we registered?
21:05 < Bluelustreak> Tom Furgeson just sent me the application
21:06 < Bluelustreak> $300. bucks
21:06 < Bluelustreak> Jason and I have pledged to pay this...
21:06 < srevilak> much thanks
21:06 < Bluelustreak> Though we may be/have reached our in-kind limit
21:06 < JCFiero> only ~for one of us tho..
21:07 < Bluelustreak> Will mail app and check tomorrow. ...Right, Swash repaid us for Arisia
21:07 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: you have $120 left.  JCFiero: you have full contribution amount left
21:07 < Bluelustreak> Please mark your calendars
21:07 < Bluelustreak> Awesome, TY
21:07 < srevilak> What's the date of freedom rally?
21:07 < JCFiero> well we had a handfull of donations at Arisia.. MPP broke even and had fun spreading the MPP message
21:08 < Bluelustreak> Sept 13 and 14
21:08 < noe> Two whole days!  25th anniversary, wow.
21:08 < Bluelustreak> Boston Common
21:08 < noe> So Boston Common, much freedom.
21:08 < Bluelustreak> it's a lot of fun. Last year we were visited by the King himself may he rest in peace
21:09 < Bluelustreak> Big event, lots of traffic
21:09 < Bluelustreak> We need many hands please attend.
21:09 < noe> I will be there.  Hopefully, with Vote Noelani tshirts.
21:09 < noe> :D
21:09 < JCFiero> wo woo go Noe!
21:09 < Bluelustreak> I need to start making buttons!
21:10 < Bluelustreak> OK next is HOPE X flyer
21:11 < noe> We do not have one?
21:11 < srevilak> what's the messaging for flyer?  Do we have someone to do creative?
21:11 < Bluelustreak> 3-4 of us officers will be at HOPE-X and the capn has expressed an interest in networking
21:12 < Bluelustreak> and or fundraising
21:12 < noe> So, we definitely want something that mentions masspirates.org
21:12 < Bluelustreak>  Jason and I volunteered our room as the location of the event-thingy
21:12 < srevilak> So, it sounds like we need a time/date + some messaging
21:12 < Bluelustreak> Like at Arisia, only we wouldn't have a separate room
21:12 < noe> So, a meet and greet flyer?
21:13 < Bluelustreak> The room number has to be left blank until we check in
21:13 < Bluelustreak> Yes please, Noe
21:13 < noe> TBA?
21:13 < Bluelustreak> Voulunteering?
21:14 < Bluelustreak> Um, actually, if time date and room number have a blank, they can be entered at the hotel and photocopies
21:14 < Bluelustreak> d
21:14 < srevilak> Hotel room will work for folks who are staying @ hotel.  For non-hotel guests, we'll need someone to ferry people upstairs
21:14 < Bluelustreak> We can crowd source the flyer text
21:14 < noe> Can someone create a piratepad?
21:14 < Bluelustreak> It's a hacker con... we can put signs at the elevator
21:15 < noe> True, that should work!
21:15 < srevilak> noe: logistics pad sounds like a good idea.
21:15 < Bluelustreak> Steve can you create a Pirate Pad?
21:15  * srevilak goes to initialize pad
21:15 < Bluelustreak> TY!
21:15 < Bluelustreak> OK we need this worked on this week.
21:16 < Bluelustreak> Moving on?
21:16 < srevilak> https://piratenpad.de/p/hope-xxxxxxxxxx
21:16 < srevilak> That's 10 x's
21:16 < noe> Sure!  Once we have a pad initialized, we can all poke at it to our heart's content.
21:17 < Bluelustreak> Steve made ageis a MPP blog mod
21:17 < Bluelustreak> He is going to be a regular contributor from now on.
21:17 < srevilak> yes, ageis should be all set
21:17 < noe> That sounds lovely.
21:17 < Bluelustreak> Should check to see if he is going to be at HOPE X too... hmmm
21:18 < srevilak> may I invite some Mayfirst colleagues to meet and greet, once we get the time nailed down?
21:18 < Bluelustreak> Please do
21:18 < Bluelustreak> Alex M and Gregg G (and Blue?) will also be there.
21:19 < Bluelustreak> I've already reached out to them.
21:19 < Bluelustreak> Anything else HOPE X or blog related to discuss?
21:20 < srevilak>  I'd like to find out more about the N^2 activity
21:20 < Bluelustreak> Um?
21:20 < srevilak> If talks are an option, jokeefe's "how dare you molest the sea" might be good
21:20 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: N^2 = Noisy Square
21:21 < Bluelustreak> Ah!
21:21 < Bluelustreak> Yes, agreed.
21:21 < Bluelustreak> Can you find out about Noisy square, Steve?
21:21 < srevilak> https://lists.mayfirst.org/mailman/private/activists_masspirates.org/2014-July/002010.html
21:21 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: will do
21:22 < Bluelustreak> Great, awesome
21:23 < Bluelustreak> Ah, OK, we need to contact them ahead of time. Got it.
21:24 < Bluelustreak> OK moving on?
21:24 < igel> lots of speakers at hope.. wow
21:24 < srevilak> moving on
21:24 < Bluelustreak> Campaign update
21:24 < Bluelustreak> noe first
21:25 < noe> VoteNoelani:  website is getting worked on, hope to be going live next week.  Oddly enough, our donation widget is set, everything else looks a mess.
21:25 < srevilak> noe: can we get a preview?
21:25 < Bluelustreak> Confirmed: Bank account is good to go?
21:25 < Bluelustreak> Pick a thing o answer
21:26 < noe> Bank account seems to be good.  But we''ll see once we go live, since I'm sure that no matter how good it looks it'll be interesting, especially if our bank has never encountered this before.
21:26 < noe> Our bank has accepted our first donations justfine, though, so I'd be weirded out if something goes wrong.
21:26 < Bluelustreak> So long as you followed IRS and state regs
21:26 < noe> I should clarify:  these donations were physically deposited.
21:27 < Bluelustreak> But you are getting the monies
21:27 < srevilak> noe: FWIW - folks @ eastern bank seemed right at home working with political organizations
21:27 < Bluelustreak> this is good
21:27 < Bluelustreak> I think she picked a bank already
21:27 < noe> Yup!  Although it is a small amount.  We are with eastern bank.
21:27 < Bluelustreak> Oh cool.
21:28 < srevilak> My notion was: this shouldn't be too unusual for a bank to deal with
21:28 < Bluelustreak> If you noe can produce some circular art
21:28 < Bluelustreak> ...
21:28 < Bluelustreak> I will make it into buttons...
21:28 < Bluelustreak> if you email it to me.
21:28 < srevilak> noe: who's hosting your web site?
21:28 < noe> We are on Nationbuilder.com
21:29 < srevilak> noe: ok.  I was just curious
21:29 < noe> (I'm trying to see if I can make a preview available to non-admins)
21:29 < srevilak> noe: if it's a hassle, we can wait for the world premier :)
21:30 < Bluelustreak> So yeah if you have some button designs, noe, i shall use them.
21:30 < noe> ok!  these are buttons for hope x?
21:30 < Bluelustreak> No for you
21:30 < Bluelustreak> Vote noe?
21:31 < igel> heh!
21:31 < Bluelustreak> THough if you have MPP designs in general you would like to make knock yourself out
21:31 < srevilak> What about general retail politics / outreach stuff?
21:31 < Bluelustreak> OK nothing to report in Joe's campaign.
21:32 < Bluelustreak> Anything else to report, noe?
21:32 < Bluelustreak> before we move on?
21:32 < srevilak> I have something
21:32 < Bluelustreak> Yay
21:32 < srevilak> One of challenges in election will be to get Noe and Joe's name out there
21:32 < noe> Erm, well, hopefully when the website goes live people can give us comments for improvements.
21:33 < Bluelustreak> yes to both of you
21:33 < srevilak> We may want to think about strategies for doing this
21:33 < noe> (haven't figured out how to share preview with non-admins, here is a sample jpg on tinypic:  http://i60.tinypic.com/1znmkid.jpg)
21:33 < srevilak> Even if it's just handing out flyers or holding signs on a street corner
21:33 < noe> or wearing shirts while getting yogurt in davis square
21:33 < noe> (so much yogurt!)
21:34 < JCFiero> wait, I have the "live" report from Joe's campaign http://www.twitch.tv/joeguertin/
21:34 < Bluelustreak> LOL srsly
21:34 < Bluelustreak> We should all go harass him there.
21:34 < noe> awesome!
21:34 < Bluelustreak> lol
21:34 < JCFiero> but if you go and harass him it will just get us blocked...
21:34 < Bluelustreak> Oh!
21:35 < Bluelustreak> Patrick Wilson wants to have both candidates on OBR now Activate
21:35 < noe> Bluelustreak:  does it matter what size or resolution?  Or any circle?
21:35 < noe> I immediately say yes to that.  I'm willing to go/do whatever publicity.
21:36 < Bluelustreak> Well, I want a big resolution, but I can adjust the size up or down
21:36 < Bluelustreak> OK I have a phone date with him Sunday. I will bring it up then.
21:37 < Bluelustreak> OK need to move on
21:37 < Bluelustreak> SCATV panel discussion
21:37 < srevilak> Do we know who panelists are?
21:37 < Bluelustreak> https://www.facebook.com/events/662890290456898/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming
21:37 < Bluelustreak> US
21:37 < Bluelustreak> We have met the panelists and they are us
21:38 < Bluelustreak> More of a forum
21:38 < noe> The event starts at 1pm, Will be held at 90 Union Square, Somerville, MA 02143
21:38 < Bluelustreak> 1. Willow Brugh/Affiliate/Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University 2. Lolita Kelsey/Host of Real Talk Show & The Morning Show 3. Charles Clemons/Owner of Touch Radio 106.1 4. Moderator: Noe Kamelamela/Massachusetts Pirate Party
21:38 < srevilak> ah thx
21:38 < Bluelustreak> Not really us. These guys
21:38 < Bluelustreak> But they want us to bring our input
21:38 < srevilak> I'll be attending.  Kendra also likely to be there
21:39 < Bluelustreak> We wanna support the moderator, esp!
21:39 < Bluelustreak> I called K tonight to ask if she would come to IRC, no answer... :-(
21:39 < noe> Charles is the general manager of a radio station that broadcasts on the internet and Lolita Kelsey is a Producer/Host on Boston Neighbourhood Network TV (local access TV)
21:39 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: she wasn't able to make it this evening
21:40 < Bluelustreak> Yes I figured that out. Just sad about it.
21:40 < Bluelustreak> Anyway... Another thing Jason and I are in-kinding is...
21:40 < Bluelustreak> joining SCATV
21:40 < Bluelustreak> Noe can be the Somerville resident
21:40 < Bluelustreak> Or we can wait for Jamie to return from NI
21:40 < noe> It should be a good talk about net neutrality and how it'll affect local users of the internet as well as people who make locally related content
21:41 < noe> if net neutrality goes away.  :(
21:41 < Bluelustreak> We hope to BE people making locally related content soon
21:41 < K`Tetch> (has everyone submitted their comments to the fcc?)
21:41 < Bluelustreak> Good point.
21:41 < Bluelustreak> I have not.
21:41 < noe> (if you haven't, you can easily send comments via savetheinternet.com)
21:41 < Bluelustreak> I hate supplicating
21:41 < K`Tetch> deadline's tuesday, I think
21:42 < Bluelustreak> But I might as well say something.
21:42 < noe> (or use the FCC's terrible widgets, but they are terrible)
21:42 < srevilak> Can also email comments to  openinternet@fcc.gov.
21:42 < srevilak> See http://www.fcc.gov/
21:42 < K`Tetch> if anyone wants to help write the national one
21:42 < noe> The email is definitely the easiest option.
21:42 < K`Tetch> i'd appreciate it
21:43 < Bluelustreak> send our contributions to the national one to... You? SAB?
21:43 < K`Tetch> sab
21:43 < srevilak> K`Tetch: I can send a copy of my comments, or read over national comments
21:43 < Bluelustreak> Can ANYONE post to SAB?
21:43 < K`Tetch> both please
21:43 < K`Tetch> i don't know
21:43 < K`Tetch> I've had other issues this past month to deal with
21:44 < srevilak> K`Tetch: my comments: https://pad.riseup.net/p/NJr48bFIPK3e
21:44 < Bluelustreak> We all need PAs
21:44  * srevilak wonders what "SAB" is
21:45 < Bluelustreak> If you want us to email you directly, post your address here K`Tetch
21:45 < Bluelustreak> State Advisory Board
21:45 < K`Tetch> a.norton@pirateparty.org.uk
21:45 < Bluelustreak> I post to it because I am the PNC rep now that Erik Z left us.
21:45 < Bluelustreak> thank you, Andrew
21:46 < K`Tetch> it won't get lost in all the other crap if it goes to my ppuk email
21:46 < Bluelustreak> Excellent.
21:46 < Bluelustreak> So please get the warm bodies out to SCATV Sat at 1-2pm
21:46 < Bluelustreak> I will post to the socmed
21:47 < Bluelustreak> Moving on
21:48 < Bluelustreak> While many of us are at HOPE X Noe, there will be stuff happening in Somerville.
21:48 < noe> Yup.
21:48 < Bluelustreak> "The band" canvassed At Beat last summer
21:48 < noe> ArrrrtBeat
21:48 < Bluelustreak> Art
21:48 < srevilak> noe: :)
21:48 < noe> Who could we get to canvas this time around?
21:48 < Bluelustreak> Yes, exactly
21:49 < Bluelustreak> We strongly recommend you hit the pavement that weekend.
21:49 < noe> I agree.
21:49 < srevilak> igel: are you planning to attend hope x?
21:49 < noe> I'm not sure who I'll be able to grab.
21:49 < Bluelustreak> Sorry to miss it, it's a great event
21:49 < noe> If its just me, I'll do it, but I'll try to contact peeps who might be in town and not at hope x, which is actually kind of difficult.
21:49 < igel> few friends are going im looking into sched
21:50 < srevilak> noe: perhaps put a note on activists list, and ask who's around?
21:50 < Bluelustreak> igel.... going to HOPE X?
21:50 < Bluelustreak> Noe you are a FB mob
21:50 < igel> crept up quick,  nyc meshnet there, obv... they runnin our new code base i hear..
21:51 < Bluelustreak> You can make a request to our followers
21:51 < Bluelustreak> You can tweet your request, too
21:52 < Bluelustreak> OK 8 minutes left
21:52 < Bluelustreak> DMC meeting July 25th
21:52 < Bluelustreak> This is important because MPP has it's own track at DMC this year and
21:53 < srevilak> Sadly, will be out of town that weekend :(
21:53 < Bluelustreak> important because DMC will have a women's track.
21:53 < Bluelustreak> for the wimmins
21:53 < Bluelustreak> That *is* sad.
21:53 < Bluelustreak> noe will you be able to go?
21:53 < srevilak> It's also at SETC, which is a nice place
21:53 < Bluelustreak> Yes, I am looking forward to it.
21:53 < Bluelustreak> Wait...
21:54 < Bluelustreak> Who put this on the agenda?
21:54 < srevilak> I did
21:54 < Bluelustreak> I thought they were going to have this on the 18th
21:54 < srevilak> Recent schedule change.
21:54 < Bluelustreak> if so we will almost ALL be oot
21:54 < Bluelustreak> Where did you hear that?
21:54 < srevilak> http://server1.naffe.net/mailman/private/planning_digitalmediaconference.org/2014-July/000187.html
21:54 < Bluelustreak> Because: Yay
21:55 < Bluelustreak> Why do I have to log in?
21:55 < noe> (checking schedule)
21:55 < srevilak> List owner set it up that way
21:55 < Bluelustreak> Well, um,
21:55 < Bluelustreak> can't see it!
21:55 < srevilak> If you get DMC planning emails, look for one that Sarah sent earlier today
21:55 < srevilak> Sorry, sent July 8th
21:56 < Bluelustreak> Ah! didn't check my email today
21:56 < Bluelustreak> Good!
21:56 < Bluelustreak> I told them that most of us would be OOT the 18th
21:56 < Bluelustreak> Maybe they changed it for us!?
21:56 < Bluelustreak> All the more reason to get the bodies in the room.
21:56 < Bluelustreak> I hope everyone can attend this.
21:56 < noe> I think I'm actually in town and can make it.  O_o  July 25th, right?
21:56 < srevilak> Bluelustreak:  not sure what motivated date change
21:56 < Bluelustreak> Yes, excellent
21:56 < srevilak> also see http://piratepad.net/DHh19zGoVS, line 21
21:57 < noe> Is this online or is there a physical location?
21:57 < Bluelustreak> and it's social so spouses and friends are welcome too I think
21:57 < Bluelustreak> SETC
21:57 < srevilak> noe: South end Tech Center.  359 Columbus ave, boston, I believe
21:57 < Bluelustreak> South End Tech Ctr
21:57 < srevilak> right around corner from Back Bay on orange line
21:57 < noe> What time?
21:58 < Bluelustreak> Checking
21:58 < srevilak> http://www.tech-center-enlightentcity.tv/contactus.html
21:58 < srevilak> noe: I don't think time has been decided yet.  Date change may still be tentative
21:59 < noe> i'll ask for update on this in next week's meeting.  :)
21:59 < Bluelustreak> Just save the date, pls. One of us will have the time soon.
21:59 < Bluelustreak> Yes, do.
21:59 < Bluelustreak> We are at time.
21:59 < srevilak> I will post transcript
21:59 < Bluelustreak> Stop Watching us can be bumped to next week?
21:59 < srevilak> motion to adjourn?
21:59 < Bluelustreak> 2nd
22:00 < Bluelustreak> In favor
22:00 < Bluelustreak> ?
22:00 < JCFiero> aye
22:00 < igel> sounds good
22:00 < noe> aye
22:00 < igel> aye
22:00 < noe> bloody good meeting y'all!
22:00 < igel> yaar
22:00 < Bluelustreak> Thank you for coming folks.
22:00 < K`Tetch> I'd also like to note, before you all leave, the PPGa will be having their 
                 annual meeting labor day weekend, if anyone wants to come. It's part of a 
                 wider conference, here's the schedule - http://eff.dragoncon.org/2014-schedule/
22:00 < noe> hope to see people on saturday!
22:00 < Bluelustreak> Ah DRAGONCON!
22:00 < Bluelustreak> Perhaps... Perhaps...
22:00 < K`Tetch> we'll be featuring panels by the EFF (and myself) amongst others, including a 
                 screening of The Internet's Own boy