July 13th, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Reviews

Tasks

Putting names to tasks. PiratePad version.

Decisions

Planning

Event Planning

  1. July 18, Worcester Unemployment Action Group (WUAG)/MAPPL hackathon, Stone Soup, Worcester
  2. Aug 2, Pirate Picnic, Georges Island, need sign up form (asking for what people will bring)
  3. August Cryptoparty, Worcester
  4. Aug/Sep. Surveillance mapping Hackathon
  5. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally - Sign up form - have asked for volunteers in email as well, need blog post by July/Aug
  6. Oct. event?
  7. Nov. event?
  8. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • davidd (David van Deijk, Eindhoven)
  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • bestpiggy (olivia pineyro, boston)


Observers

  • Pharyngeal
  • zby
  • itspara

Summary

  • Cory Doctorow visit. Vote to support working on an event while he's visiting the Boston area (which would likely involve coordination with some other groups in the area). We vote to work on the event, conditioned on us working with other groups.
  • Survey without Surveillance. Perhaps July 23rd?
  • Pirate Picnic (Aug 2nd). Steve to make Civi event. See also: https://piratenpad.de/p/2015MAPPPicnic. We'll use the pad as a sign-up/what can you bring form. Need to decide on times for arrival, and times for advance team.

Minutes

 
21:04 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_13th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:04 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:04 < davidd> i have just one question
21:04 < davidd> David van Deijk, Eindhoven
21:05 < davidd> how did july 4th go?
21:05 < srevilak> davidd: I hear the BPD did a lot of bag searches
21:06 < srevilak> after all, what better way to commemorate the abolition
        of writs of assistance than with a lot of bag searches
21:06 < Bluestreak> LOL
21:06 < bestpiggy> olivia pineyro, boston
21:06 < jokeefe> hahaha
21:07 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:08 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA.
21:08 < jokeefe> srevilak’s notes on the tech meeting are at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_13th,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:10 < srevilak> jokeefe:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/July_11th,_2015_Tech_Meeting
21:11 < jokeefe> oops
21:11 < jokeefe> thanks for the correction
21:11 < jokeefe> Still looking for people to work on the tasks we have
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015_MAPP_Tasks
21:13 < jokeefe> Decisions
21:13 < jokeefe> Help Organize Cory Doctorow visit?
21:13 < Bluestreak> This is going to be awesome.
21:13 < Bluestreak> (I hope)
21:14 < jokeefe> Cory Doctorow will be speaking at a conference at MIT
        and asked folks in the area to setup an event.
21:14 < jokeefe> It will be in October
21:14 < Bluestreak> Can we have… a reception?
21:14 < jokeefe> Seems like a good thing to help with
21:14 < Bluestreak> food and refreshments?
21:14 < jokeefe> possibly
21:15 < Bluestreak> We have 4 other groups to get input from.
21:16 < jokeefe> We don’t have an October event.
21:16 < jokeefe> thoughts?
21:17 < srevilak> Would Cory be interested in giving a talk (perhaps at,
        say, a cryptoparty?)
21:18 < srevilak> (brainstorming, since I've never been in contact
        with him)
21:18 < davidd> i guess for a fee
21:18 < jokeefe> Don’t know.  I think he was thinking of a larger venue.
21:18 < davidd> he did speak at the ppi conf in prague
21:18 < jokeefe> No fee was mentioned
21:18 < davidd> 2012
21:19 < davidd> ask the czech pp for that
21:19 < Bluestreak> We have to ask the other 4 what kind of event they
        would like
21:19 < Bluestreak> One group is a writer’s circle
21:19 < Bluestreak> type of thing
21:19 < davidd> mikulas.peksa@pirati.cz
21:20 < davidd> is not the person that organised it, but perhaps knows
        that person
21:20 < Bluestreak> https://www.grubstreet.org/
21:22 < jokeefe> any other thoughts?
21:22 < srevilak> Well,
        https://lists.mayfirst.org/mailman/private/activists_masspirates.org/2015-July/003355.html
        contains email addresses of people from other groups
21:22 < srevilak> perhaps we could brainstorm with them?
21:23 < jokeefe> agreed.  already reached out to them
21:23 < jokeefe> just wanted to formally determine if we wanted to do this
21:24 < Bluestreak> Vote?
21:24 < srevilak> I support the idea
21:24 < Bluestreak> 2nd
21:25 < jokeefe> any other comments?
21:26 < srevilak> Having opportunity to work with other groups could
        be nice
21:27 < jokeefe> completely agree
21:27 < jokeefe> condition that we do it with others?
21:27 < srevilak> jokeefe: agree
21:29 < jokeefe> So: Do we want to organize an October Cory Doctorow
        event with other groups?
21:29 < jokeefe> 2nd?
21:29 < srevilak> 2nd
21:29 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:31 < Bluestreak> aye
21:31 < srevilak> aye
21:32 < jokeefe> aye
21:32 < jokeefe> bestpiggy?
21:33 < bestpiggy> sure!
21:33 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:35 < jokeefe> Motion passes
21:36 < jokeefe> Motion to support the pledge to fight patent trolls
        https://nlnet.nl/help/
21:36 < jokeefe> discussion?
21:36 < srevilak> Seems like a natural fit for us
21:37 < srevilak> since we don't own any software patents, signing on
        effective amounts to promising not to sue
21:37 < srevilak> I think we can do that :)
21:37 < srevilak> If nothing else, might be a good press release
21:37 < srevilak> thoughts?
21:37 < Bluestreak> Who likes trolls?
21:38 < jokeefe> works for me
21:39 < jokeefe> other discussion?
21:41 < jokeefe> ok, all in favor?
21:41 < srevilak> aye
21:42 < jokeefe> aye
21:43 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:43 < Bluestreak> aye
21:43 < Bluestreak> sorry was on phone
21:44 < jokeefe> motion passes
21:45 < jokeefe> Reminder about the July 18, 11am-2pm, Worcester
        Unemployment Action Group (WUAG)/MAPPL hackathon, Stone Soup, Worcester
21:45 < jokeefe> Will get the details up by tomorrow
21:45 < srevilak> I will follow up with https://nlnet.nl
21:45 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak
21:45 < jokeefe> images up at the press page
21:46 < jokeefe> Talked about outing for Survey without Surveillance.
        Last day is July 23rd
21:47 < jokeefe> GALLERY HOURS:
21:47 < jokeefe> Thursday-Friday, 6:00-8:00 pm
21:47 < jokeefe> Saturday, 2:00-6:00 pm
21:48 < jokeefe> Dates are 16, 17, 18, 23
21:49 < jokeefe> 23rd, 6pm?
21:50 < jokeefe> BTW: for those interested ArtBeat is this Friday and
        Sat. http://www.somervilleartscouncil.org/artbeat/2015
21:51 < Bluestreak> Is “cultural appropriation” a Pirate issue?
21:51 < jokeefe> all culture is appropriated
21:52 < jokeefe> sorry, goes until 25th
21:52 < srevilak> I would think cultural appropriation = remixing culture
21:52 < srevilak> Bluestreak: what's the context?
21:53 < Bluestreak>
        http://bitchmagazine.org/post/slip-on-these-whiteness-goggles-and-the-violence-of-cultural-appropriation-disappears
21:54 < jokeefe> Not really hearing any interest in a date.  Any how,
        I’ll put a post up about it at least.
21:54 < Bluestreak> Like Barbeque, rock and roll, rap
21:54 < Bluestreak> Sorry, I would love to go. If I could I would pick
        the 23rd
21:54 < jokeefe> ok
21:55 < jokeefe> Aug 2, Pirate Picnic Logistics
21:55 < jokeefe> What time to start?
21:55 < jokeefe> noon? 11am?
21:55 < Bluestreak> I like the advance team idea.
21:55 < srevilak> Bluestreak: that wasn't quite the image that 'cultural
        appropriation' conjured up
21:56 < jokeefe> srevilak, would you be able to put up an event? needs
        to have a form for what people will bring
21:56 < srevilak> jokeefe: sure, can do that
21:56 < jokeefe> and if they can show up early
21:56 < Bluestreak> Too many artcles to poat here
21:56 < jokeefe> thank you
21:56 < Bluestreak> I will email you what I have, srevilak
21:57 < Bluestreak> I really like the interactive art.
21:57 < Bluestreak> post
21:57 < Bluestreak> Shutting up now.
21:57 < jokeefe> here is the pirate pad for the picnic -
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015MAPPPicnic
21:59 < jokeefe> lets try using the pirate pad as our survey
22:00 < srevilak> jokeefe: does "what time to start" mean "what time to
        arrive at island", or "what time to get on ferry"?
22:00 < jokeefe> what time it starts on the island
22:01 < srevilak> ok thx
22:01 < Bluestreak> How about “Advance team arrival
22:01 < jokeefe> need to make the distinction
22:01 < Bluestreak> “General arrival
22:02 < jokeefe> we are at time
22:02 < jokeefe> shall we adjourn?
22:03 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
22:03 < jokeefe> 2nd
22:03 < jokeefe> all in favor
22:03 < jokeefe> ?
22:03 < srevilak> aye
22:03 < bestpiggy> aye
22:04 < jokeefe> aye
22:04 < Bluestreak> night!
22:04 < jokeefe> thanks all
22:04 < jokeefe> good night!
22:04 < jokeefe> srevilak, you have the notes?
22:04 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:04 < jokeefe> thanks!